Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So I just bought this game, and it's pretty awesome, but I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing with my economy. Playing from the Age of Shadows, I've just researched my first hyper drive, and have discovered a world nearby that I could colonize after one more tech, but I think I should figure out my finances first. Some questions:

1. I've been letting the AI run basically everything, while I just order mining stations and tell exploration ships around. Any serious traps I should be watching out for?
  2. So far pirates haven't been such a big deal. I had to pay off like 4 different factions at one point, but I've since cancelled the protection agreements and they've done nothing, but I don't know if I'm really safe or not. Is the Firepower shown under the pirate section of the diplomacy screen supposed to be compared to my Military Strength shown in the same screen?
  3. My private economy seems to be making GBS threads the bed and I don't understand why. Their income seems high, and they have a strongly net positive cash flow, but their cash on hand is plummeting into the deep red and I don't understand why.
  4. My state finances are awful, I've started hitting a -10k cashflow, but that had been propped up by bonus income from the private sector for a long time. That seems to have vanished now though. My maintenance costs are mostly for my Large Spaceport, while a little bit of it is my ~8 military ships. Even those don't seem like enough, because various pirates nearby (but not in system, I don't know where they're based) have much higher Firepower than I do Military Strength (~1200 vs. 700). I clearly can't afford to keep buying stuff though.
  5. Even though my cash on hand is positive, I apparently can't build more mining stations. The button is disabled because it says I don't have enough money, even though I do have the cash. Is this because my cashflow is so negative?

I'll post proper screenshots of my finances later, but it'd be really nice to see some sort of guide as to how much stuff I should be building in the beginning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I believe the private sector did just finish buying up lots of new ships; they were all upgrading to hyper drive capable models I believe. But I'm just very surprised that their Cash on Hand is so strongly negative, it's down at like -200K, and still falling. Since my bonus income has dropped to almost nothing, I don't think they're continuing to place order with me.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, I was wondering what the hell the difference between a small/medium/large spaceport was; I seemed to do OK with large, so I just kept going.

Hot Sexy Jupiter posted:

Mining stations use private finances...

Ah, I did not know that, certainly explains that thing.

quote:

...so if they've got no money, you won't be able to build any. I've never actually seen my private sector go into the red on new ships before - they always seem to wait until they have a fair amount of cash on hand before doing so. If their cashflow is positive, though, it should balance on fairly quickly, especially now that you have hyperdrives. Also, if your own finances are sound, you may want to make things easier on them for a bit by reducing taxes.

Yeah, that's the part I really don't understand. Their cash flow is positive, but their cash on hand is still dropping.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Fair enough, thanks for all the answers everybody. I've decided to start a new game, maybe play things a little more conservatively. So now I simply return to pirates: is there some way to know when you can confidently cancel protection agreements? Is there any real harm in cancelling, and then re-upping if they show up again later?

e: Well, I cancelled an agreement, they showed up thereafter and now I'm paying them some 700/month, double what I was previously paying. I guess I shouldn't do that.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jun 12, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Hot Sexy Jupiter posted:

I like the pre-warp start, though, so I usually play a custom game with that enabled but the Age of Shadows storyline off, which makes pirates a lot more manageable.

Does any custom game work for this, or is there an Age of Shadows thing I have to uncheck somewhere that I don't see?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Alright, thank you so much for recommending that, this makes so much more sense.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Popular Thug Drink posted:

A refueling ship is basically a militarized gas miner with a lot of docking ports. You drive it to a source of caslon/hydrogen and use ctrl-click to deploy it on the source. Then you can select your fleet or whatever and order them to refuel at the deployed ship.

It really should be in the OP or something that first timers should not play age of shadows. The game is confusing and frustrating enough without the UI tricking you into thinking that you're supposed to start on the absolute hardest and most teeth gnashing hardcore mode. I'm sure plenty of people have been all gently caress this pirate ridden game without ever experiencing the goodness beneath.

Yeah, the only reason I know about this at all because of Grey Hunter's Thousand Year AAR; he recently made the switch from Paradox games to Distant Worlds, and it looked too good not to try. His first update involved him getting just massacred by pirates at the very beginning, so I figured I was doing OK since I didn't have my first three stations immediately destroyed. :v:

So another question: what makes a powerful warship? I'm currently just racing ahead in military tech relative to my other branches, since they've all been slowed by hyperdrive and colonization research projects, which I gather are much larger than the average project of that level. But are my ships going to be pretty useless until I can get better reactors and sensors and such?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Alright, I have most of that researched, just have to get the reactors. By standard hyper drive I'm assuming you mean the one after warp bubbles.

Should I be designing my own ships, or is the AI acceptably decent at it? Is there a particular branch of weapons that's good, or should u have a mix of everything? What counts as a real fleet? I'm currently focused on building just such a fleet so I can cancel the 1000 credit protection agreement I have.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

So I've finally got enough of a handle on the game that I'm starting to expand. But I don't think I'm doing particularly well, because my private sector is crashing left and right. I noticed that my first colony was short on fuel, but my private sector was out of money, so I couldn't build a gas miner in the sector. I have a mercenary supply mission running, but it doesn't seem to be working very well. But my private sector was definitely trying to deliver to it, but then they'd want to refuel, but the only place to do that was a neutral world that had about 50 pirate vessels just hanging out above it all the time for no discernible reason.

Since I managed to salvage some capital ships from out in the void, I gathered them all up and sent them to clear this place out so at least my private sector wouldn't continuously suicide themselves there. I've got control of the planet's orbit now, but there is a non-stop wave of new pirate ships warping in, and getting continuously massacred by my fleet. It's hilarious, but I don't understand why they're doing it. My best guess is because there's an unfinished Hidden Pirate Base down on the surface? Whatever it is, I'm watching the military power of those involved drop like a stone. :v:

I colonized it just because, and I guess I'll have to wipe the base out to make them stop?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Lowen posted:

I'm really confused by players that get private sector crashes. Typically in my games the private sector balance just grows and grows... You're not running a corporate nationalist government are you?

Check the net income and balance on the empire screen. If your private sector has a negative or close to negative balance then you really should fix that by lowering taxes. Unless it's the lategame it's likely only your homeworld generates any money by the way, so leave taxes at 0% elsewhere in order to encourage growth. You'll get the money back anyway since the private sector pays your state account to buy new ships.

If you can't afford to lower taxes then you probably have serious maintenance issues due to overdeveloping your military or due to supply shortages. Either way those issues need to be addressed.

Well I do think I've desperately over-extended militarily, so I've been forced to run like 25% taxes on my homeworld. Which I'm pretty sure is hurting me badly in the long term, but whatever, I'll just gently caress something else up later anyway. Of course I'm not sure how I would throttle down either way. I've only got one pirate protection pact going, because I settled a world they have a base on, and they absolutely savage anything that goes near it. So until I can pull the capital ships off the Pirate Thunderdome, I don't know that I can stop paying them.

quote:

Anyway if it's really a problem with the private sector accounts, try going to the design screen, find your gas mining station design. Copy it, change the type to a starbase and rename it to something like "State Subsidized Gas Mining Station". Now you should be able to build the gas mining station space station with state funds. You can do the same thing with regular mining stations if you want.

This is genius, I will do that.

quote:

So the reason they keep trying to get you gone is simply because you're costing them all the money they could be making at that colony.

By all means wipe their base out, as long as it exists and is complete they can't go below 50% control. They aren't going to stop trying to control the colony though until they run out of ships, and they can keep making more ships at their hidden bases. So in addition to killing whatever ships come in and fight you at the colony, also look around for their pirate starports, mining bases, and gas mining stations.

The nice thing about pirates is typically they have only one construction ship, so any base you take from them will cost them a lot. You probably won't be able to completely destroy the pirates since in order to do that you have to kill their last starport, resupply ship, and construction ship. The last ones are pretty good at not being seen and running away. But if you just kill all their starports and military ships then they won't be building any more for a long, long time.

Well, the thing is, of the pirate groups that are constantly attacking that world, none of them are the ones with the base on the planet. So I have no damned idea what they want.

Blinks77 posted:

I can never seem to get my defense fleet to actually, y'know, defend. I have to manually tell them to attack whatever enemy ship it is every time.

I think there was a decent guide to fleets on page 26 or 27 of the thread. It taught me how to set Fleet Defense priorities, which has been really useful given the constant pirate assaults on me.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Right, it has been my experience that after I destroyed a pirate base on a world, the other pirates stopped coming.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Alright, so new game, new questions. I somewhat stupidly just ordered the retrofit of a bunch of stuff, including my one homeworld spaceport, adding the addition of weapons, but it turns out I have no supply of Osalia, so production on all those things has stalled. I can't go get a supply of Osalia myself because my construction ships are queue'd for the retrofit that will add hyperdrives, and there's none in-system, or even in the adjacent systems. I offered a mercenary smuggling mission for it, but none has showed up, which might be because I set pirates to Few and Weak, and none have showed up yet.

So I think I need to cancel the retrofit of my station so that my construction ships can get upgraded (those do not require Osalia). But the only button that does this is 'scrap ship', and I really, really don't want it to actually scrap my spaceport, just cancel the retrofit. Can some kind soul confirm that that's what will happen?

e: The ability to halt progress on the station retrofit and start work on the Construction Ships would also work, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do that. I see that I can re-prioritize what's in the queue, but not effect what's currently happening. Is there a way to give my planet a second construction yard?

e2: I'm an idiot, I can just save and then try it. Too much EU4 ironman.

e3: Holy poo poo it really does destroy the station. Now I don't know what the gently caress to do.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jun 16, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Is there a faster way to repair the abandoned derelict ships you find out in the void? I just stumbled upon two World Destroyer projects, but it's got like 200 damaged components or something. It would take years for the default constructor to fix them, but is there something I can do in the design to make a better salvage fleet? Can I just assign multiple construction ships? If I have to wait for just one ship to fix it up, I'm just going to blow them the gently caress up to make sure the pirates don't get them.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Arghy posted:

Is there a way to make it so i start in classic but dont have my stations scattered all over? It seems like a really stupid design, the best part of starting a space game up esp one this detailed is exploring the surrounding systems but they steal that from you! I love the slow start shadows gives me but i hate the stupid goddamn pirates.

Start pre-warp with Shadows off, and pirates set to Few, Weak, and Distant. I was amazed at how few there were. If anything I went too far.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I have just spammed colonies everywhere, ability to defend them be damned. There's pirates everywhere, but I haven't lost any planets.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Does playing with Age of Shadows off mean you never have The Ancients and Shakturi in your game? I was surprised when I didn't see them at all.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Demiurge4 posted:

That storyline is tied with Return of the Shakturi which came with the first expansion I believe. The Age of Shadows is just the storyline that goes with starting pre-warp. Like having to find hyperdrive tech in some ruins in your home system.

Hmm, that seemed to happen even with Shadows off. The only think I noticed was different was that no pirates jumped on top of my home world in the first few moments.

Kilroy posted:

Just to add, if you're going to do this, to also change the default tax policy as well. I go with <200k=none, 200K-2M=none, >2M=low to start. The default seems to be high, for the highest tier.

Keeping taxes low early on is essential, as it can mean the difference between a population of 4 billion, and one of 8 billion, after a decade or so. Naturally the larger your population, the larger your economy and tax base.

Seconding this. I've only had one successful game so far, but that one was the one where I actually committed to keeping taxes as low as possible, and boy did it ever pay off.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

MagnumOpus posted:

To play without The Ancients and Shakturi you want to select "Custom Game", and on the last setup page before launching the game you want to un-check "Enable Return of the Shakturi story events and victory conditions".

Fair enough. I was just surprised they didn't show up in my game where I'm pretty sure I did have that checked. I guess sometimes not all the story line stuff fires, which is really not a bad idea.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

MagnumOpus posted:

The events are triggered by research levels so if you didn't get far enough into the tech tress you wouldn't have seen them.

It's also possible that (storyline spoilers) they were there and you didn't even know it because they first show up as the Etrukah Refugees before revealing their true nature.

Well I've played through a game and saw all the discovered briefings on the topic, and also have been reading Grey Hunter's fantastic A Thousand Years of Misrule Let's Play (which anybody who's learning this game should read, if only for the hilarity of how badly he's getting worked), so I know all about the 'secret' identity of the Etrukah. But my one game lacked both The Ancient Guardians and the Etrukah. I guess it's possible they just hadn't shown up yet, but I was pretty far down the tech tree, I was rolling Titan Beams and size 600 ships and the final tier hyper drive. I'm guessing that I would have found at least the Ancient Guardians, since I had the whole galaxy explored. But no matter, I'm in a new game now, and Utopia is just next door, so this should be a fun ride.

Dirk the Average posted:

Is there some sort of mod or automated setting that will handle this crap for me? I really don't fancy having to go through every planet to check if they're maxed out so that I can turn on taxes.

You should be able to set it all from a glance from the colony overview screen. You can micromanage your first planet, because it'll be the only one you have, and mine maxed out in pop as I was just settling my third colony. I basically just leave every other colony at zero, and raise my max pop capital tax rate as necessary. Once other worlds start cracking into very high population numbers, I can raise taxes there if needed.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 3, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Dryb posted:

Let the private fund keep a huge stockpile, they don't lose money randomly once you get too high.

A fundamental principle of economic games like this is the possibility that if you do too well, your treasury will roll over and become negative. :colbert:

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Why would you make one combined star base, rather than two separate gas and mineral miners? Assuming you're not doing the exploity stacking thing, you might as well have two.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Question about resource shortages: what do I if my stations are constantly halting construction because they're short of two or three things? I don't know if anyone can really answer without seeing exact numbers and such, but even my built up colonies seems to be having lots of issues with Gold and Aculon in particular. I have tons of sources of them throughout my empire, so is the problem just that my civilians can't move it fast enough?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

My empire is also spread out as all hell, I guess I should go make sure there's as many local sources as possible.

I've been really enjoying games as the Ackdari, but I never seem to start even remotely near any Aculon, and I need it for those sweet, sweet engines.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Eschatos posted:

Whether the above is true or not, how do I actually keep mining bases safe from pirates? They were always able to jump in a few ships and blow my base up or capture it long before I could get a fleet in to help. Should I upgrade mining bases with armor and weapons, or just say fuckit and let them die?

Definitely put shields and armor on them just to make them survivable, then give them a long range-ish weapon. Fighter bays work marvelously, but they're expensive size-wise, and you probably shouldn't laden your private sector with that.

quote:

Is there any way to trade other players for resources that I don't have access to and can't easily get access to?

Pirate smuggling missions are really the only way.

quote:

Is it possible to see which ship designs are using a particular module? Early on I investigated a ruin, and got rewarded the devastator pulse. Immediately after the advisor offered to update ship designs with that tech, which I accepted, but I couldn't find any designs that were using it.

Open up the design screen, filter by military ships, and click Edit on the designs. It won't let you edit it if you have any of that version built, but it will show you the design specs. Alternatively, if you select any ship, you can click on it's class name and it'll show you the same screen.

quote:

How do I get actually get research going at a good rate? After an hour of play I still hadn't achieved any high-tech technologies, but I hadn't found any spots that gave bonus high-tech research.

Open up the tech tree window, click on the fourth tab. You'll see a number on the right to the effect of 'Total Empire Research Potential' or something. You want to have enough labs so that their size equals that number. Weapons, Energy and High Tech are counted separately, so the lab size of any one of the three category should equal a third of that number. So if your Total Potential was 400, you'd want 140 size of each category on your spaceport. I just put them all on the Large Space Port design, and then only ever build one of them.

quote:

A little before I stopped playing, some pirates took over one of my mining bases. When I sent a recently recovered capital ship to chase the pirate off, it immediately blew up my former base. How do I get that to not happen, and just retake the base?

To capture stuff you need a ship with Assault Pods. In Empire Policy you can set the priorities for what should be conquered, but I've noticed automated ships tend not to be great at that. If you manually select the ship, you can control + right click and manually choose the Capture Base/Ship option.

[/quote]
Finally(for now), is there any way to refuel fleets outside of friendly colonies if I haven't yet researched resupply ships?
[/quote]

Military ships can only be refueled at independent worlds (which usually won't have enough fuel for any reasonably sized fleet), stations and colonies of empires that have given you military refueling rights, or your own colonies and bases.

For a good general guide, read this, it basically taught me how to play this game (and now it seems too easy really): http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3508583

e: some notes about that guide.
  • He recommends you run down the Impact Assault Blaster and Shockwave torpedo line, but I think this is actually a bad choice. Experience has taught me that it's better to invest in Velocity Shards and Phaser Lances, because they're effective at range. If you set your designs to use standoff against stronger foes, and give them mad engines (:Crying Ackdarian: and :Crying Sluken:) they'll kite like motherfuckers. There is nothing funnier than having a fleet of 10 destroyers cruise up to a pirate base, and just blast away at it from just outside the range of the base weapons.
  • He points out that on armed designs, they should have enough Unused Reactor Output to fire the maximum energy per second of the weapons. But I think you actually want the surplus to equal EPS of the weapons plus the energy usage of your ship in cruise mode, because they will move and shoot at the same time, and you don't want to run down their energy doing that.
  • I put all my researchers on a Large Space Port rather than a Research Base because it's more defensible, and enemy spies really seem to enjoy blowing up research stations and the scientists that live on them. They never seem to target space ports, not sure why.
  • The automated designs seem to put lots of Weapons/Energy/HighTech Plants on spaceports, but people all over the Matrix Games website suggest you really only need one each for anything up to like 30 Construction Yards. I've been rolling with one each and it seems to work fine.
  • ALWAYS SET YOUR STARTING WORLD TAX RATE TO ZERO. Combined with the Recreation and Medical facilities you'll put on your spaceport, your homeworld will grow really fast. Don't raise taxes until you absolutely need to, let Bonus Income tide you over. Once your world hits Max Pop (it'll say MAX in red letters when it gets there, probably right around when you're going to start colonizing other worlds) jack up the tax rate pretty much as high as you need to rake in the mad cash. By letting your initial world balloon in population you will blow the AI out of the water.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Jul 14, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

DarkAvenger211 posted:

Where does Bonus income come from? And can I not build a large space port anywhere? I noticed my homeworld has one, but I don't get the option for any colonies.

Bonus income is the private sector buying stuff from you. Usually ships, also resort bases and super-luxury trading I think.

As for the spaceport, if you select the planet, right click it, and hover over the 'Build Here' option, does it not list the Large Space Port you want? If it doesn't look at your Design page and make sure it's not obsolete.

Arghy posted:

Man so in my current game i found the way of darkness really early like before i got the gerax and now i'm basically waging war with all my goody neighbors and somehow pissed off every pirate faction haha. I built a gently caress ton of escorts/frigates/destroyers but my newly colonized world just gets raided constantly because all those military ships just wanna chill at my home base?

I dont want to have to bother with creating a fleet for every loving world--is there a way to ensure that your retarded automated defense ships actually protect important poo poo rather then waste their time orbiting my strongest station while the border worlds get ravaged? I've taken to creating a defense fleet for every world then stationing them there.

I also love the insect race balancing, their super strong but as a non insect you naturally hate them hence you just create big gently caress off defense pacts.

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2973167

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Also, definitely put Energy Collectors on your military ships. They tend to spend a lot of time just sitting around, and their static energy needs are so low that one collector will stop them from wasting fuel while idle. And I put a very high priority on Ultra Dense Fuel cells, those things are just amazing.

Omniblivion posted:

9) Intelligence agents/missions are currently broken. I have sent multiple "perfect" Intelligence agents on easy missions (steal territory map) and they are captured. There is talk on the Matrix games forum about how there is something wrong with the current intelligence missions, and I agree completely after my basic observation over 20+ games. So, it's not just you.

Well that's really good to know. I had been sending all my new agents on missions to steal maps from pirates, and basically all of them were getting captured despite having >85% chance of success. I had also read that you'd get your agents back if caught on those high-probability missions, but I was losing them all. I tried sending them against a regular empire and they were still caught and permanently removed from the game.

Speaking of which, is there any particularly good method for locating pirate bases, other than just watching which way they flee and holding a god damned ruler up to my screen? I'd love it if my exploration ships would just constantly patrol the systems around my borders, but they won't.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jul 14, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Nektu posted:

Regarding derelict ships: is it somehow possible to stick a hyperdrive on those that have none when you find them?

I don't think so. I tried to do this once, by opening the design, adding a hyperdrive, and saving it as a new one, but the option to retrofit the derelict did not appear, and I of course couldn't build them because of all the magic components I hadn't unlocked.

Caconym posted:

Also you commonly get location data on their bases if you board and capture some of their ships. I usually go for boardnig pods early as captured "high tech" ships can be retired for signifigant science and just bringing down their shields is a lot easier than killing them all when you're at low tech yourself.

Do you now? That's very good to know.

And yeah, retiring captured/derelict ships for tech is amazing, I don't even care if it's a size 1000 capital ship, it's hyperdrive probably sucks, and I'm going to retire that thing in a heartbeat.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Bloodly posted:

Look closer. Note the 'total output(Including bonuses)'? Bonuses are allowed to break the hard cap.

Indeed, the bonuses aren't counted into the number listed as Total Empire Research Potential. Which seems super confusing, but it actually makes things quite a bit easier to manage. To make sure you're doing the maximum research possible, just make sure the three numbers under Total Research Capacity sum to just over Total Empire Research Potential, as neither includes research bonuses.

Arghy posted:

Goddamn this is getting really frustrating, i have 10 defense fleets and now 5 colonies. I have a defense fleet defending each colony and the other 5 set to defend anything around them yet the fleets loving bunch up and leave their colonies undefended and for some goddamn reason their taking forever to build simple loving small space ports!

At this rate i'll have to tell each system defense fleet to STAY INSIDE THEIR loving SYSTEM and the roving defense fleets will just forever be loving idiots.

The fleets are automated yes? You can just order them to move back, but they generally won't jump back to home base unless there's some reason for them to do so. Your bases, private and state, should really have enough defensive strength to last until the fleet can come bail them out.

And the reason it's taking forever to build spaceports is almost certainly because the planets are short the resources to build them. Select the colony to see if there's any resource shortages gumming up the works.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jul 15, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I go real heavy on shields, light on armor. So on a size 400 ship I'm using running at least 10 units of shielding, and probably 5-10 of armor. I've been sticking to really long range weapons lately, all Phaser Lances and Velocity Shards, so Rail Guns aren't really a concern. But my ship design leaves something to be desired, feature creep is bringing my destroyers up to much larger than the probably should be, and I'm not even building frigates any more.

The only thing that pisses me off is when my ships try to close in on a weak opponent, they'll occasionally get a few components damaged by Gravitic Weapons, and then any time they take fire they'll try and retreat, even though the have >20% shields that's set as their trigger to flee in the design screen. I'm just now getting the repair bots and I'm very excited about it.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jul 15, 2014

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Less Fat Luke posted:

I'm not sure what a good way is to put newly constructed ships into fleets. Say I build 25 new destroyers - right now I have to go into the ship list, choose Military Ships, sort by type and find destroyer. Then I highlight the non-fleeted ones and choose their fleet. Surely there has to be an easier way?

It'd be just awesome if I could assign the fleet while creating the build order.

Or sort by Fleet.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Omniblivion posted:

Try 30 year with difficulty scaling. Helps you get a good foothold and keeps a solid challenge throughout.

This is what I do, but I keep winding up so horrendously ahead that I'm basically just spending my time beating the pirates into dust. Still haven't seen the Shakturi show up ever.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Omniblivion posted:

Have you enabled the storyline? It's in one of the options. I really wish you could set the AI "difficulty" on a per-race basis. That way, you could set 2-3 AI on Hard/Very Hard to give them an advantage, and make the other AI normal (or Hard). That way you at least end up with a couple real powers to contend with. I've been playing on Very Hard, and all it does is force you to micro better (and if you get less than a good start, you're dead anyways).

I agree that the "late game" sucks for the AI- once you get an advantage, there isn't really a mechanic to take that advantage away. Empires just become afraid of you and don't properly band up together against you or anything. I actually got so far ahead one game (I think I showed some screen shots from the ridiculous start I had) that I went around with three fleets of cap ships and just made every entity my subjugated dominion.

While the vanilla game can be lacking, a lot of the guys on the Matrix forums are working on some mods that work on balance/additional features/etc. Which is awesome.

Yeah, I have the box checked, the Guardians are there, and gave me the initial warning about dark monuments or whatever, but no Shakturi or their alter ego. I think someone said in Grey Hunter's thread that it's dependent on total development level for the galaxy? I'm way, way ahead of all the AI in tech.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Is that how I'm supposed to be designing them? I really have no idea what to do with them. How much capacity should resort bases have?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

DarkAvenger211 posted:

So what determines Total research capacity? I'm assuming total output it just the total of all bases with labs?

Yor bases with labs contribute to Research Capacity. Total Empire Research Potential scales very slowly with some combination of population or strategic value (whatever that is).

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I have definitely had exploration ships that just sit idle while automated, even when they have lots of fuel and enough range to cross the galaxy. I had to manually select them and order them to Explore Nearest Unexplored System.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Eschatos posted:

So do I need to put engines on my mining bases? Some of them are just sitting in space far away from the planets they're supposed to be mining from, and after a long enough time like that the planets stop recognizing them and allow new mining bases to be built.

No, nor should the game allow you to do so. Certainly they don't let you put them on space ports.

quote:

Also, why would my ships be traveling at less than half their maximum warp speed(4600ish instead of 12000) when every ship in the fleet has a gerax hyperdrive?

Are they out of fuel? Do they have enough reactor output power for it to list 12000 as their warp speed in the design screen?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, whereas you always seem to be able to adopt Way of the Ancients. There's sites that give it, but it also seems like there's always a quest line active, and if you investigate recover enough vessels and investigate enough monuments, you'll eventually get to Navigational Directions to a tech repository which gives you tons of knowledge and Way of the Ancients. Or maybe that's just because I been playing as Ackdari.

Phlegmish posted:

Okay, why do parts of my empire keep splitting off? The first time it happened I thought it was neat and it made sense since I had massive war exhaustion at the time. This time it happened during peacetime and despite my empire not having any real problems except a Notorious reputation. Not cool. Is it the Reputation that's caused this or is it just a random event?

I've had worlds defect because of happiness problems. Usually it's a combination of pirate raids, resource shortages, hostile populations, or having a much better rival colony in the same system.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Man, I love tech trading sometimes. I have a game right now where I'm Ackdarian, and on good terms with Mortalens, Kiadians, Ugnari, Quameno and Zenox. I've already got the Mortalen's fancy manoeuvring thrusters, and I have such a commanding tech lead over the Ugnari and Kiadians that I'll have their special ECM and Targeting Systems just as soon as they research them. Currently debating whether I really want the Quameno Reactors or Zenox shields; I already have NovaCore reactors and have all the prerequisites for Meridian Shields, so I don't really need it. I guess it would be nice to have the efficient Quameno reactors for the civilian fleet.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

A defence fleet per system is probably overdoing it too. Once you get as much military power as you have, you can wipe out all the local pirate bases, and then their attacks drop off significantly. Outside my home system, I'm at one defence fleet of 4 ships per 3-4 systems, distance allowing.

Instead, I just let my space ports and even mining stations defend themselves. My build-everywhere space port gets in the realm of 100-200 firepower and 1000-2000 shields. Mining bases get less. Mostly the pirates just throw ships at my planets one at a time, and they get destroyed continually, while the major fleets hunt their bases.

Troops are just a big mass on the troop transport fleet, and I use that to wipe out any pirate bases on new colonies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

winterwerefox posted:

I tend to overkill my stations. 2 hangers, 2-4 boarding pods, 1000+ shields, 20 or so layers of armor, ion cannons, hyper deny module. I like using fighters for stations because of the range of the fighters. Get ship scanners and suddenly you are snagging up pirate smugglers at all your mining stations and starports.

Yeah, I do this with all my private stations at the very least. It's just too funny to see some pirate raider come sailing in and get immediately wiped out.

In my current game I've effectively destroyed all the pirates, they all have less than 10 military ships left. But I don't know where the remnants are based, stupid pirates need to know when to quit. Or some Legendary Pirates should appear. Or the Shakturi. Just something. As it stands I'm just collecting all the race specific techs to be hilarious. Soon I shall build ships superior in every way to these recovered relics! Speaking of relics, having 3-4 Construction Ships doing nothing but repair wrecked ships and then retiring said ships does wonders for your tech.

• Locked thread