Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

T. Mascis posted:

It wasn't a riot it was a calculated & pre-planned mass murder

Yes. I really don't know how to feel about this, because on one hand I'm absolutely, positively against the death penalty in any shape or form and for any reason whatsoever, including treason and war crimes.

On the other, I am surprised that (some of) the people responsible are actually held accountable for their actions surrounding what was clearly not just another riot. I wish they'd gotten prison sentences instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

jyrka posted:

Just for the record, I am against death penalty too.

This is good to know jyrka. Do you think perhaps we should form some sort of group advocating against it? Or maybe start with a weekly group forum where people can discuss how they feel about the subject.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

sticksy posted:

hahaha seriously - what other kind is there? Casual pimping? Implied Pimping..?

Well there's big pimpin' for one

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

euroboy posted:

Yeah I'm just gonna leave this here

Celtic striker Anthony Stokes was detained by police in Dublin over an alleged attack on an Elvis impersonator.

http://news.stv.tv/west-central/235812-celtics-anthony-stokes-detained-over-elvis-impersonator-attack/

something something jailhouse rock

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

pointsofdata posted:

In order for the bookies to be offering these spot bets in the first place there must be loads of legitimate punters. Who are they? Why is anyone betting on "Number of throw ins before ten minute mark" or w/e?

For a lot of people, especially gambling addicts, some of these become essentially a form of lottery. Putting a quid on X throwins in a game you know nothing about is not much different from playing a slot machine with 80-85% payout.

Imagine all the people you see playing slot machines for hours at a time. Then imagine them with internet connections and basic computer knowledge. Now they can sit in their home and do basically the same thing.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

DickEmery posted:

Either you send the kids to boarding school or one of you spends less effort on your career in order to raise them.
Due to the inherent gender bias in wages and career advancement this has usually been the role of the woman.
(for an example, BM going to work would not be able to earn as much as me so she stays home and plays mass effect all day looks after the kid denying herself at least 10 years of building a career/pension.)
In the event of the partnership dissolving the partner who gave up their career is at a major disadvantage (by losing ten years) and therefore is usually awarded some compensatory figure of the working partner's earnings.
David James can bitch and moan about it or he can go back in time, put his Mrs in goal and stay at home looking after their kids.

Edit : to be fair I don't think James is actually moaning about it, it's just the tone of the article.

This is spot on. You can debate about the actual numbers, but the financial loss a person (99% of the time the woman) suffers from staying at home with the children instead of working and furthering their career does not end when the children leave home or when the marriage ends. The argument is that they will forever be ten years behind in their career relative to the husband who worked in the same period.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

So why is it future earnings and not the x amount of years that they had to stay at home?

Because it's not a compensation for the years she worked at home (she gets that directly in the divorce) but a compensation for her salary in the years after the divorce that will be lower than it otherwise would have been. Her salary will be lower for the rest of her life because she was taking care of the children. Again, I'm not arguing numbers now, but there's nothing wrong with the general principle, especially not when one gender suffers from this like 98% of the time.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Lol his name is "Ched" of course he loving raped her

But yeah let's blame the victim instead, because gently caress women #redpill4life

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

A sheep tied to a lamppost in Cardiff, my friend, a sheep tied to a lamppost in Cardiff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

Blue Star Error posted:

Glad thats been put to bed. I think certain posters round here owe an apology to all the footballers they've slandered.

I think I will take the opposite action and slander them further. The entire Spanish national team have been doped up to their eyeballs for every major triumph they've had recently and so have FC Barcelona. Furthermore, Rafael Nadal deserves to have all of his titles stripped and handed to Roger Federer, regardless of whether Federer was his opponent in those winning finals, or in fact played in the tournament at all.