Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

The Perfect Element posted:

Why do rich and famous people, or the ones who get caught, always seem to use the same prostitutes? Like, for this one they've found all sorts of numbers on her phone. They're all rich, surely get one each? Certainly less of a bombshell if anyone gets found out.

It's a lot easier to keep one girl quiet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

I know they probably meet people who try to have a go but seriously how hard is it to not hit people? loving hell when will footballers ever learn.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

serious gaylord posted:

You can be arrested and charged for 'common assault' for hitting someone thats already twatted you. They usually never get to a conviction.

I know, but still. Just don't hit people. Jesus christ.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Byolante posted:

If true the people involved need to be punished. The people haven't been involved in the club for a long time though.

Yeah I agree, seems like a strange decision to sue the club. It's unlikely anyone around in the 80s (or, at least, anyone in a position to know about "The Finger") is still going to be there, so I'm not sure what the point of it would be.

What with the Beckham revelations and everything, seems like we're getting a lot of dirt coming out about club practices at the moment.

There's an article on Sky Sports about Keith Gillespie's gambling problems which is a fairly decent read. It was a bit surprising for me to see him say that, after moving to Newcastle from Manchester, he was just left in his hotel room after training with nothing to do, and that's part of the reason he turned to gambling. It's not as if it's much of a distance from Newcastle to Manchester either, must be much worse for foreigners with no ties at all. Wasn't one manager (Mackay?) getting praised on here recently for going around and making sure all new buys got sorted with banks etc.?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Ninpo posted:

Are you American? Because gently caress driving that with any regularity.

No I'm not - what I meant was that he's not exactly living in a different country from his friends and family. It's not a journey I'd want to make every day or anything, but it's certainly close enough to maintain family ties, friendship groups etc. Compare this to people coming from different continents, or even opposite ends of the country, it's really not surprising footballers get up to stupid poo poo without a support group around them.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Sakho's case has been dropped, he is no longer eligible for this thread

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Big Sam to big sack, what a massive shame.

I don't think he said anything too egregious in the video, but what's more concerning is that he was willing to meet some very sketchy people and, at the very least, skirt around the edges of the rules. I think the bigger concern is what he was willing to do for those people he knew more closely.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Ewar Woowar posted:

Wasn't there a panarama thing ages ago that said Allardyce was dodgy as gently caress? I mean everyone knew it so it was only a matter of time that he'd get busted.

Will be interesting to see if England stick to their guns and hire another old school English manager (Steve Bruce is the obvious answer) or get someone in that's actually competent. I reckon they'll give it to Southgate if he does well in the matches he's given. He definitely isn't good enough though

Well, about that...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/27/exclusive-eight-premier-league-managers-took-transfer-bungs-clai/ posted:

Eight current and former Premier League managers stand accused of receiving “bungs” for player transfers after The Daily Telegraph found widespread evidence of corruption in the English game.
Managers on the make ... as described by agents
Manager 1

Ex-Premier League manager allegedly liked “bungs” in cash or deposited in a Swiss bank account. Pagliara said: “I can call [X] now and all it is with [X] is 'How much, Pino? And will it be the same Swiss bank account?’”

Could be anyone no longer managing to be honest. Would need to be someone reasonably intelligent (or have intelligent advisors) to set up the Swiss bank accounts.

quote:

Manager 2

Ex-top flight manager has had “more backhanders than Wimbledon”. Pagliara said: “This is what I hate... the guy that used to need the money but he’s had so much now that all of a sudden he’s whiter than white.”

Almost certainly 'arry or Bruce.

quote:

Manager 3

After managing several British clubs, he was allegedly fired by one for having “his fingers in the till”. Pagliara said he would get involved if “you understand that when we do deals I have to have a carrier bag with some cash”.

Pulis and Pardew are named that have been thrown about, I wonder whether Coyle could be one as well (mostly because of "British" clubs).

quote:

Manager 4

Pagliara said of this boss with Premier League experience: “We know him very, very well. We do a transfer, [X] has winked at us and said 'Yeah, I want the player. Is there a little coffee for me, Pino?’ Yeah, course there is.”

Again, either 'Arry or Bruce are most likely.

quote:

Manager 5

Ex-Premier League manager who, said Pagliara, would call him and say “here’s the number”, and give him details of a Swiss account. He said: “It was always numbered accounts.”

Could be anyone again.

quote:

Manager 6

A former player who now manages, he allegedly likes extra money to secure deals because he is not on a big salary at his club. Pagliara said: “[X] takes a few [inaudible] because he’s not being paid big money.”

Mark Hughes? Could also be someone in the lower divisions (doesn't mention Premier League manager...)

quote:

Manager 7

Ex-Premier League manager is another “we can put on the payroll”. If a player was transferred for £10m, “we’ll turn round to [X] and say, listen, if you take this player we’ll look after you. OK? OK, boom.”

Could be anyone again, though no mention of Swiss bank accounts this time suggests less intelligent/well connected.

quote:

Manager 8

Agent Dax Price said this long-serving manager would pick three trusted players and tell them he was paying them an extra £8,000 per month, on condition that they paid him £4,000 per month each.

Long serving managers are few and far between these days. Wenger is the obvious one but realistically they would mention something about Premier League experience and £4,000 per month isn't much for a Premier League player. Suspect Mick McCarthy or Phil Brown tbh.

It's going to be interesting to see if/when the Telegraph name names. There's really only four maximum Premier League managers, and we can pretty much rule out the big names (Klopp, Mou, Wenger, Conte, Poch, Pep) based on the information provided. It almost certainly implicates some if not all of the popular English managers.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Blue Star Error posted:

Not sure I agree. Its one thing to uncover corruption that is happening and another thing entirely to manufacture it yourself purely to sell papers. What they did was akin to inviting Gazza out for a drink and then plastering ALKY GAZZA FALLS OFF WAGON all over the front page.

Ninpo posted:

Yeah, there is a sense of entrapment to it.

It's like that News of the World Sheikh that used to meet with royals and politicians for headlines.

There's no entrapment here. For one, Sam hasn't broken any laws. Two, entrapment means you make someone do something they wouldn't already have done - nobody forced Sam to go to these meetings (and in fact several other managers said no), and he said he did this "for his friend". Everything The Telegraph has presented suggests that, if this had been a genuine meeting, Sam would have acted in precisely the same way. That's why he lost his job.

The comparison with Gazza is misleading as well, he has a well known medical issue that the paper would be exploiting. Greed isn't a medical condition. Basically, this:

Der Shovel posted:

I'm not sure I agree with that in return! If anyone were to do that to Gazza or some other alcoholic (or people with other addictions) that would be immoral and deplorable. They would be intentionally preying on a weakness, which is not quite what happened with Harry, IMO.

I mean, yeah, there's an element of entrapment here, but Harry is just as capable as anyone else of saying "nope, not doing that, this is dodgy as gently caress, sorry lads" and walking out. Probably even moreso because as the England manager he should be financially well off and not actually in desperate need of money. It may not be lily white as far as morals go, but it's also interesting to hear how many bites they got, which could indicate a widespread issue of corruption in sport.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Blue Star Error posted:

Its not legally entrapment but who cares? We're not putting him on trial. The point is we all knew he was a bit dodgy, we didn't need the telegraph to dress up like Chinamen to find this out. Gazza can't resist a drink, Big Sam can't resist a bung, these are not revelations.

This wasn't a brave piece of investigative journalism, we're not living in a safer, less corrupt and more transparent world thanks to the telegraph, it was done purely to cause a scandal because England team scandals sell papers.

We should give Joe Kinnear the job at least he'll tell the press to gently caress off.

I disagree entirely. Apart from the fact that this investigation was started months prior to Sam being given the England job, it's exposing the corruption in the Premier League and the national team. Of course it's not the most pressing need we have but I for one don't want an England manager who's happy taking cash on the side.

I'm finding it difficult to work out how you're drawing your conclusion that this was done purely to cause a scandal. Nobody investigates corruption to sweep it under the rug and forget about it.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Blue Star Error posted:

I didn't realise this was done pre-England job that does change things.

Its done to cause a scandal because they aren't investigating corruption that is happening, they are making up their own imaginary potential corruption and seeing who bites. No corruption has actually happened, all we've found out is that Big Sam would hypothetically do something a bit dodgy for money, we knew that already, but they can't print "we knew that already" and get the England manager sacked and sell a load of papers.

Ah yes, the classic "this was a one off!" defence.

Sam has done this before, he was willing to do it now, and almost certainly he would continue to do it in the future.

Also, they are investigating corruption that is happening. They released a story yesterday alleging at least four current managers are similarly corrupt.

blue footed boobie posted:

They manufactured a scandal. Not sure what you're missing about this. All we learned is that some managers will be willing to discuss shady consulting services when you trick them to come to a restaurant with promises of motivational speaking gigs.

He wasn't tricked into going to the restaurant. He said he did it to help his friend, and he has been accused of doing the same with agents in the past. He wasn't lured there under false pretences.

I'm finding it bizarre that people are treating Sam as if he's been conned. He knew exactly what he was doing, the only thing he's sorry about is that he got caught.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

https://twitter.com/Hughes_Mark/status/781227634478944256

Cellino is no surprise.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

It's pretty damning to those involved. Can't see Jimmy or Tommy Wright keeping their jobs for much longer.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

https://twitter.com/Hughes_Mark/status/781587903050809344

Bit surprised at this, Southampton are generally a well-run club.

edit:

https://twitter.com/Hughes_Mark/status/781592100748062722

Yeah, he's done.

EvilHawk fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Sep 29, 2016

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Insanely Sikh posted:

Was this guy involved in any the Liverpool transfers? Asking for a friend

No he only joined in the summer, used to be the Villa assistant though.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

blue footed boobie posted:

Imagine picking up a girl at a bar and thinking "wait I have to call my friend so we can all have sex."

See also: "wait I have to call my friend, then record this"

When has anyone been sat around and thought "I know, I'll watch that video of me and Bazza nailing that Vietnamese prostitute!"

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Didn't Klopp hate him before that?

No, the issues with Sakho only began after the suspension. He was our first choice center back throughout the end of last season up until all this stuff happened, then came the problems with the preseason tour and missing training and flights and poo poo.

I don't know what to think about this stuff tbh. Sakho clearly was taking something that wasn't cleared with the Liverpool club doctors and that's a bad thing. It was also a substance which appears to have a similar affect to a banned substance. I think Fifa and Wada are right in that circumstance to investigate him, and realistically if you're doing an investigation into whether or not a player has taken a banned substance you can't allow that player to keep playing. It's a total mess.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Seems pretty rational? If you're investigating if someone has been cheating you can't let them carry on potentially cheating? Same way that if you are being investigated at work for doing something dodgy you get suspended whilst the investigation carries on.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

All dead people who were around in the 70s were nonces.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Rooney gets 100 hours community service and £170 fine for drink driving, Everton fine him two weeks wages thought to cost £300k and then whatever Coleen rinses him for in the divorce.

Should be banned for life from appearing in public imo

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

James Madison is the Reddit FavouriteTM. Leicester were away in London around that time, the dressing room was apparently in turmoil (all that stuff about Vardy trying to get rid of Puel), and he got an England call up (which is enough for the papers to brand him a "star".

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Pretty much all Brazilian footballers are, there was a big stink when Alisson was seen supporting him as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

pik_d posted:

Some Liverpool fans literally call him Big Cock Divock is the reference

It's loving infuriating how many people are saying "no it's because it rhymes!"

Like we don't call him big willy Milly do we