Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
That's really sad :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Unless he turns out great, nobody will care in 10 years.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

sircozzie posted:

Man that stadium is empty...

Wasn't it built for the 1990 World Cup when they never had a chance of getting a crowd on a regular basis?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

biggie pusheenbia posted:

Pretty much, although there are plenty of people in Bari! It's a nice stadium other than the track, shame it's never full.

Were they out of the top flight for a while? I remember reading a bit about it when Ireland played there a couple of years ago. I remember the tickets for that game were really cheap and there were loads of away fans. There were companies doing trips to the game for around €120 or something.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

biggie pusheenbia posted:

They are right now and were for a long while before their most recent stint in Serie A.

Right. I know people give out about running tracks and they do hurt atmosphere, but I've always loved those type of stadiums. I think it's down to watching loads of Serie A as a kid, they just seem classy to me.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Is that not what the last page or so of the thread was about?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ahh ok, fair enough. He really is a moron :)

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Haha, didn't Rooney lose £70k to Owen at cards when he was first called up to the England squad?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Didn't realise one of these is Rogers son.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Scott Bakula posted:

I've never seen such an obvious expression of restraint on someones face

Can't blame him, either. Imagine being in that position?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

quote:

Only hours before he was arrested the Newcastle United footballer used more than £1,500 to spell out his name in £20 notes before taking a picture of it and posting it on Instagram.

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Jan 25, 2013

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Blue Screen Error posted:

The Death Penalty would be a good name for Gareth Southgate's autobiography imo.

I loled.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

oliwan posted:

I simply don't understand why people still do blackface. My mind cannot comprehend how you can't know about the connotations. It's basically like wearing a t shirt with swastika because you like the Hindu message.

Corrode posted:

Aren't you Dutch?

If you are, maybe you can answer a question for me. I was in Amsterdam in November and there were lots of people in blackface on the streets. They were dressed like characters from a Shakespeare play or something, so I think it was an advertisement for something going on, but is that acceptable over there? We were more than a little taken aback by it.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

sticksy posted:

You're probably referring to Zwarte Piet, this article was around the same time you were there:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwarte_Piet
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world...e14a_story.html

That's exactly what it was, thanks. I meant to look it up when I got home, but completely forgot about it until now.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Shrapnig posted:

He's going to go play in the ISL and take the bus to training and matches.

This isn't getting the love it deserves.

The whole situation is quite tricky and the cynic in me things there are a lot of people using it to their advantage. Clegg coming out against it the other day smacked of trying to curry favour coming up to an election. The sponsors are probably getting as much good publicity out of threatening to pull their deals as they are sponsoring the back of Sheffield United's shirts.

I'm not defending him for a second or saying he should be let play again automatically, but I don't buy this whole "players as role models" thing. He was a professional footballer because he was good enough to be, not because of any moral character he may or may not have.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Wouldn't be like Germans to have a thing about someone's religion...

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

blue footed boobie posted:

David Luiz has done a sex and he knows all the best moves.

On top, doggie and normal?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Weaponized Cum posted:

Trump is gonna get locked up during his first state visit

Why wait until then?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/22/swedish-footballer-sent-off-for-farting-during-match

quote:

Swedish footballer sent off for farting during match

A Swedish footballer has hit out after being sent off for breaking wind during a match – with the referee accusing him of “deliberate provocation” and “unsportsmanlike behaviour”.

Adam Lindin Ljungkvist, who was playing at left-back in the match between Järna SK’s reserve team and Pershagen SK, was shown a second yellow card late on in what local media called “bizarre circumstances”.

“I had a bad stomach, so I simply let go,” the 25-year-old told Länstidningen Södertälje. “Then I received two yellow cards and then red. Yes, I was shocked, it’s the strangest thing I have ever experienced in football.

“I asked the referee, ‘What, am I not allowed to break wind a little?’ ‘No,’ he replied … I don’t get it but maybe he thought I farted in my hand and threw the fart at him. But I did not.”

Opposition striker Kristoffer Linde told the paper: “I was standing a good distance away but I heard the fart loud and clear. It’s the strangest thing I’ve seen on a pitch, and I’ve been playing football since I was eight years old.”

The referee, Dany Kako, confirmed that Ljungkvist had received the second yellow card for breaking wind, explaining: “I perceived it as deliberate provocation. He did it on purpose and it was inappropriate. Therefore, he received a yellow card.”

Ljungkvist told Aftonbladet: “To provoke anyone with a fart is not particularly smart or normal. It’s nonsense – I just broke wind and got a red card. I spoke to the referee afterwards, I was annoyed, but there were no bad words. I just said he was a buffoon.”

Kako said he had experienced similar incidents before. “Once there was a player who stood and peed next to the pitch. I showed him a yellow card, too.”

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Soulex posted:

I'll split it with you 50-50 if you score an OG.

Him being a player doesn't make this more or less likely, though. It's a stupid rule.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Soulex posted:

What? Having almost unlimited access to players who, as a majority, are loving retarded when it comes to money, or sleeping with a 16 year old, or drinking and driving, etc. Bet the underdog by a large amount, throw the game, split the profit. Please go try and talk to some players about throwing their next game for your bet and tell me that is more or less likely than a player and/or friend approaching someone.

Which is why players shouldn't be able to bet on games within the country they're playing in, as I believe it is in England. A total ban is overkill.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Looks like Bennell tried to off himself

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Would that even be legal? I know you get out of court settlements, but could you pay someone to not report a crime like that?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

oliwan posted:

in first world democracies, you can't create contracts which ask you to do something illegal. well you can, but the contract is void. don't know how the situation is in england.

Yeah, that's what I thought. Will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

I'm sure he's inadvertently ate pork before.

I didn't know he was in an English academy...

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Mangers have to do post match interviews and I assume press conferences too. I wouldn't be surprised if there was something similar in players' registrations or something.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Cocaine is a performance enhancing drug.

Technically it might be, but it's not doping, which is what these rules are in place to stop.

Having said that, the players know the rules. The really poo poo thing here is extending the ban after he was allowed back and 14 months is ridiculous.

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 20:55 on May 14, 2018

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Healbot posted:

It is doping and has been used in the past for doping purposes.

Really? Do you have examples? I'm not being smart, I'm genuinely interested. Is it used to mask other stuff or does it have a benefit?

I always thought it was closer to this:

quote:

Cocaine: ‘not only stupid, but pointless’ Drugwise founder Harry Shapiro suggests that cocaine would have offered no performance enhancement to athletes. “Cocaine is a stimulant – it revs you up, makes you more alert, appears to give you more energy, but it is very short-lived. “If you were just about to walk on a Premier League pitch and you snorted a line in the dressing room, after about a quarter of an hour it is going to wear off. “If a line of coke lasted four hours then there might be some advantage from a purely performance point of view, but it is so short-lived that I can’t see there would be any competitive advantage. “Not only is it stupid, it is also pointless.”

https://inews.co.uk/sport/recreational-drugs-sport-doping/

Which would make it akin to really strong energy drinks.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Bogan Krkic posted:

In the article it says he took it as part of a tea to prevent altitude sickness, which I guess would be performance enhancing if they were playing at one of those really high altitude south american grounds?

Again, technically that may be the case, but I don't think that is what the rules are in place for.

Bape Culture posted:

Knew I could rely on big vardy lmao

quote:

So three Red Bulls, a double espresso and a cheese and ham omelette is what makes me run around like a nutjob on matchday.

I really don't see the difference.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Soulex posted:

Didn't Maradona get popped for this when he scored that one goal and then freaked out like a goddamn roided out nut?

I think that was some sort of banned cough syrup that masks other stuff, no?

Healbot posted:

The Tour de France was and is extremely big on doping, you'd have people hopped up on cocaine, heroin, strychnin and other stuff way back in the 1920's to 40's (The Pellisier brothers were really open about consuming everything under the sun to get an edge).

Heroin? Really? Other than pain killing, what possible benefit could that have?

I understand wanting any edge, but football is different to cycling anyway, where the doping was for endurance, no? Also, when I think of cycling and doping, it's not coke I'm thinking of. I don't think Armstrong was winning Tour de France races with a gram of coke.

If you were regularly re-dosing you could maybe get an edge, but the effects would be minimal.

Mickolution fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 14, 2018

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Bogan Krkic posted:

While I agree with this, drugs are bad and if you can't do the time then don't do the crime, say no to drugs, mess with the bull and you'll get the horns

He did do the time, though.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Vegetable posted:

His agent ghostwrote the poo poo out of that plus that open letter to Martin Keown, but that's a real good agent

Martin Keon hates reading though, so joke's on him.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

RideTheSpiral posted:

boris johnsonesque

Finally, someone less likable than Neymar!

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Jermaine Pennant has released an autobiography talking about him and Ashley Cole’s threesomes and how they high fived each other :sissies:

I notice you didn't say "written"...

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

julian assflange posted:

Do any sports people actually write their autobiography?

Fair point.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

If he were charged (long way from that, I know) and didn't do a Polanski, would he have to stay in the US until it's sorted?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Unless he got remanded to custody with no bail or they confiscated his passports (Spanish and Portuguese) as a condition of bail he’d simply post the bail and leave the country. You might even argue he could leave the country without a passport pretty easily on a private jet. I imagine he’d be able to bypass customs back in Spain or Portugal.

Yeah, that's what I mean. If charged, would part of the bail agreement not usually be that you can't leave the country? Naturally, for someone like Ronaldo, it would be difficult for them to hide out as he's so recognisable, but if he were just a regular guy, I would have thought they'd want to keep him in the state/country.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Zaodai posted:

If you're skipping bail, you're generally not particular concerned with the terms of the agreement in the first place.

True, what I was really wondering is if he would have to stay in the US if charged until sorted one way or the other. What I mean is, would a charge effectively end his career considering that it can take years for something like this to go to trial?

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

The chance of him being denied bail is effectively zero.

I know that, but on bail, he'd be legally allowed to leave the country, yeah? Or would he be forced to stay (have his passport taken away) until it's sorted?

Or does that only happen if someone is considered a flight risk?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Brony Car posted:

Ronaldo looks class.

Calm down, Adam.