Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Finally starting to like Sanji again. He can now fly. Him and Robin. I really hope they end the whole New Kama thing soon though...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
I guess I kind of felt more like Nami this episode. Franky's tanks transformations were awesome and all, and I can understand how funny Chopper, Ussop, and Luffy were in their reaction, but it just wasn't doin' it for me I guess. They may have massively strayed from any sense of being an anime about pirates, haha. Also, I stand by my conviction that Human-Human fruit doesn't grant you burrowing powers. :colbert:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

socialsecurity posted:

The Luffy/Usopp/Chopper wonder over the Franky stuff works as a quick gag. When it is dragged out over 5 episodes it gets tiresome.

That's what I mean. The tech is fine, I have no problem with them having a tank or anything, but I guess it just feels especially childish and sometimes rather drawn out. Part of why - sorry everyone - I don't like Chopper. It's okay - or even funny - once in a while (especially nipple lights), but when it's every time Franky does anything, it just feels like the creators are praising themselves a bit much.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

I'd also be more than happy with the new Horn Point being used more often. It has a really cool design, and especially when compared to his default form, it better shows off how he's aged and become more confident after his training. That said, I hope he'll reveal some way of using the old version of Horn Point one day. Without it, he only has Walk Point to prove that he is, in fact, a reindeer.

The Human Human Fruit grants human powers. Horns are not human powers. Nor is tunneling. :colbert:

Vander Decken is really good at living. Luffy's Jet attack didn't keep him down, nor a stab to the chest. In fact, he seemed completely over it by the time he was back to screwing things up. I think Oda should have just let him die from the stab wound, being unconscious because he fell over from an axe he was carrying anyway is kind of silly in my opinion.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bobulus posted:

Chopper has totally chemically-hacked his fruit.

His devil is probably just tripping out on drugs.
"What? Horns as wings? Sure, why not?" :okpos:

It's unfortunate that his medical research into boosting the powers of a devil's fruit conveniently works solely for him.

I guess it's still better than Brook creating musical drugs that affects specific targets, not just anyone that hears it.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KoB posted:

Crocodile kicked his rear end because all his attacks were straightforward and the same 5 things

Anyone else miss Gomu Gomu no Shotgun?

KoB posted:

Gear 3 seems like a dumb Luffy idea that happened to work out

Every time Gear 3 happens I just can't get over the physics (or lack of it) and feel like his attacks are any stronger. He's just full of air. If he used the air like a balloon and used the force of air traveling rapidly as his giant arm decompressed or something, then that'd be acceptable, but how does he even get the air into his bones?
Not that physics ever make sense in One Piece (or shounen at all)

And does anyone else not like the art style for haki armament? The idea is fine - since he's made out of rubber, his normal punches should only hurt so much as being hit by rubber, but I just don't like the art for it.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
All I can ever think about is how much processing power her brain has. She manages both input and output for those million limbs. If anyone remembers on Water 7 when she creates the million hands with eyes, I was wondering how strange an image that would have produced for her brain.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I was thinking, and it might be a while from now (and someone might have said this already), but if Oda's gonna do another movie of an arc, War of the Best would make a good film adaption. At least we got a redo of the Arlong Park, but it was good already in its original form. Before filler and boob inflation...

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cooldude2.0 posted:

The best part of the latest episode was Neptune's face as he watched the giant pufferfish get goaded into blowing up bigger and bigger. Looked a little like pity. As for the rest, basically nothing happened. A bubble was launched. I feel conflicted saying this, but I want some crappy filler.

I'm all for filler. In my opinion, the filler is usually not too bad. I understand it's hard to break out of the arc and do some filler (Bleach figured it out, I guess...), but I think the fans would be a lot happier. Even if they do the ones where everyone is in medieval Japan.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

Bleach's filler break was hilarious in the way it did it though. If I remember correctly they actually broke off mid fight for an extended period and had Ichigo be annoyed by it.

Yeah, they also broke the fourth wall when they resumed. I can't find the clip, but I did find a minute filler animation of someone eating. Though I think an episode of Luffy eating could potentially be entertaining. (Much like any Toriko crossover.)

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

socialsecurity posted:

I'm really amazed we didn't get training arc during the time skip, there was enough room in there to make something interesting.

I was under the impression that Oda was simply saving the flash backs for a later period, esp. when they use a new power. I mean a lot happened during those two years, I feel like he is eventually going to use that material.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cooldude2.0 posted:

Best episode in a while. Zeo is the only fishman pirate that's entertaining.

Yeah, I'm really enjoying Zeo. Also, Luffy just set his arm on fire underwater where his strength is severely drained? o.O I guess the idea is that his Gear 2nd is just that powerful now... or something... or Ace's ghost is helping or something...

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure each of the OP characters has a healing item:
Luffy, it's meat
Zoro, it's sleep
Franky, it's cola

The more human characters, not so much, but if I had to guess:
Nami, it's money
Sanji, it's women
Robin, it's books
Chopper is a doctor, so he autoheals I guess
Usoppu, --- well, I guess he heals like a human

So it's kind of natural for Brook to have a healing item, and milk makes a lot of OP-sense.

Also, I hope they sub that Nami special soon. I saw it on TV when it came out, and I really want to see it (and actually understand what they are saying). I think the Arlong Arc was one of the most powerful arcs, with the walk to Arlong being one of One Piece's best moments. Oda really knows how to build up to a villain.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Nami.rear end may be the best file I have ever downloaded.

Nami Special Spoilers

Despite being one of my favorite arcs, I didn't really like the special that much. Just felt too rushed, which is surprising considering how long it was. The beginning was cool though, and I liked the art. And yeah, the walk to Arlong Park was nothing special like the first one. I think the extra sound effects of them walking with the different music ruined it perhaps, or maybe the camera angles, but it was disappointing.

Also, I don't much care for a lot of people's new powers.

Chopper's Kungfu Point was finally something I was willing to accept as an ability granted by the Human Human fruit, but then he became a mole

I know One Piece has a lot of technology, but Franky's new robots and things aren't really doing it for me

Brook is okay I guess, but watching the drawn out hypnosis scene was annoying

Nami hasn't apparently changed

I saw Robin's powerup coming, and it's a pretty okay use of her power honestly

Sanji's power up is actually really cool, as is Zoro's

Though I don't actually care much for Firehawk or Haki Armament (mostly the art)

But Ussoppu is by far the worst. He now has plant powers? But they aren't powered by any logic at all. He sent out a giant, running pine tree wolf whose nose explodes? It's just stupid in my opinion. It's not any clever use of his character or his character's abilities up to this point or even a clever use of plants.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Oct 12, 2012

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bobulus posted:

We've only seen the plants used once each.

He's used the carnivorous plant monster thing every time now except this last time. I guess the difference between the dials and the plants was that they required cleverness and some skill sometimes or at least some kind of stamina. Literally anyone can use these pop greens. He used to be a sniper, now he just throws plants at them that do all sorts of weird things that have nothing to do with plants.

I guess I was more forgiving of his new power until he used his last finishing move. A pinetree wolf with an explosive nose? What was the point of the pinetree wolf part? Why not just shoot an explosive? And why could it run?!

And it all just seems irrelevant to his training on food island.

Taratang posted:

The problem with Usopp's new abilities is that some of his stronger attacks are getting dangerously close to the superhero trope of "well if he has that ability why didn't he use it when x happened".

To be fair, he theoretically has limited supplies of every pop green.

DukeOfDummies posted:

However what I really wanna know is is he still negative?

I think he's freaked out already a few times while they were reaching the island and when they were in the cage.

I wonder if Peronna's power would work on Robin. :iiam:

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Azzents posted:

Even though, as a shonen anime, One Piece is full of cliches I'm really disliking the 'chosen one' vibe I've been getting from Luffy recently.

Yeah, some of the Supernovas have comparable or higher bounties. I want to know what they did. It'd be nice to see someone else making an affect on the world. I mean Luffy and his crew blew up the Enes Lobby and Impel Down and Luffy fought in the War of the Best... What tops that?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Last episode has me wondering.

So Sanji mentions Blackbeard wouldn't want Chopper's human-human fruit, but what would happen if a human ate the human-human fruit? I bet it would give him antler powers like how Chopper mysteriously acquired his. Sengoku's had a model, so it's different. I feel like the models are a cheap way to avoid the syllable-syllable naming convention, especially since there is a regular human-human fruit without a model.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Now that Fishman Island is over, I was kind of disappointed that octopus swordsman never did anything at all. He poisoned Luffy and it seemed like he did it on accident. So I figured something might have been up with him, but then he just turned out like the others and took all the drugs and everything and he's too old to return like Buggy or something.

In short, I felt a little disappointed he wasn't as important as he was made out to be.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Azzents posted:

The entire arc was just an excuse for the strawhats to flex and show what new poo poo they got.

It's wasn't quite that I was expecting him to be exceptionally powerful, but he did stand up to a JET Pistol and even poison Luffy. And when he said he *accidentally* poisoned Luffy, I thought he'd turn out to be an undercover agent or *something*, but he just became as generic as the other Fishmen.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

tsob posted:

preparations, intellect and gadgets have gotten absolutely idiotic over the decades

What, like the explosive tree wolf thing?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

lordfrikk posted:

Yeah, I loved Marineford, too. As we discussed before, the fact that I watched it in one fell swoop because I started watching OP last summer (yeah, I had a boring summer :psyduck:) might have contributed so that it didn't feel like a slog waiting for next week's episode.

I was surprised that even when I didn't have to wait a week for the next episode at how terrible the drag with the Skypia Arc got. Marineford and Fishman Island weren't so bad for me even with all the waiting, but maybe because I didn't read the manga. Still I really wish they'd do a ton of filler. Give us a nice-paced mini-arc. I think that'd be better than weekly episodes of one or two tiny things happening.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm still somewhat surprised they didn't spend as much time on individual strawhats. They had a solid opportunity for standard training filler before the time skip to spread the gap a bit.

Are they seriously not saving the training for flashbacks in later episodes when they reveal their moves? Because that's what I was imagining would end up happening. How far ahead is the manga?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Actually, I thought the last episode was pretty awful initially. I guess most of it was good, but it was a lot of Nami ruining millions of young Japanese girl's self-images for the next 20 years and Sanji fondly remembering beating up cross-dressers.

Honestly, when I first started One Piece, I thought it had pretty good messages. But now, well.

I'm certain Oda created the Crimin thing to try to sell clothes (though to be fair, I haven't seen any Crimin-brand things here, but a billion One Piece merchandise [especially Chopper] [you can even get Luffy riding my town mascot <fugu>]). And now the new movie has some weird specially designed clothes line thing going on. It's not as bad as Star Wars, but sometimes I wonder if things are introduced to sell more merchandise. Which is pretty ironic, considering the message about what treasure is.

Every single woman is now horribly deformed - isn't there a single normal-looking woman that isn't a mountain bandit? Nami just runs around as naked as she can, and what's with Robin's new outfit? I don't see why Brook doesn't just sit at the bottoms of stairwells before Robin walks past.

And every single gay person is also a cross-dresser / transexual or something and hideously ugly? An entire race of ugly gay people that are so oversexualized they can't contain their attraction to Sanji and chase after him for 2 years? What's your message, Oda?

tl;dr - I guess the pacing is getting to me, and I'm finding One Piece less and less a great anime. Hopefully the movie and the new arc are better.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mulderman posted:

has the same insane reaction faces could be a great addition.

Am I the only one that finds the faces unfunny and annoying?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'm really liking these episodes. This is why I think filler would be so much better than dragging on like it has been. The movie comes out Saturday, so today was the last episode of this, right?

I really hope they go to Elbarf sometime.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
If you like good things, you'll like the movie

Sorry for the lovely picture (probably with my thumb in the way)

It seems all the money they saved by not animating the series so well went into the movie. But I feel like it was co-directed by Michael Bay in a centrifuge.

Also you get a free manga if you go now!

But unfortunately, movie spoiler: the alpaca makes no appearance or even mention.

Oh, and the Taylor Swift or whatever her name is 's songs don't ruin it, so don't worry.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Dec 15, 2012

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Flameingblack posted:

Taylor Swift songs would only make this movie better. Avril Lavigne and a Nickleback cover are what's actually in it!

Is the little giant in the movie? She's a great character.

Oh yeah, --- no.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Sekkira posted:

GO WHERE

See it in theaters.

Sorry, I thought it was a manga, but it's actually much cooler than that

I was finally able to overcome my OCD and open the thing. There's a stamp, stickers, an art book, and even a gameboard.

Also you can buy the One Piece newspapers there.

Apparently there are 3 others. Along with the trillion of other One Piece merchandise.

I'm excited for when the subs come out (so I can better understand it) and so I can post about it more.

I'll give you this though: Movie spoiler? (Just one of Nami's outfits)
http://s13.postimage.org/j8q3ihv0n/1355545471784.jpg
This scene (and others like it) went on for an uncomfortably long time. Yes, that's pretty much the whole frame. Nothing was even moving. (Again my thumb is in the way, sorry)

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

Not sure why they shied away from giving Luffy a spectacular giant rack when he did get horns though.

Yeah, it's very unOda-like. I was really expecting it.

Anyone else find the ridiculous submarine kamikaze attempts absolutely hilarious? They were literally flying out of the water into nothing and then exploded. They could have easily crashed their boats into the bottom of their boat and sank it and it would have been worth something. Or they could have jumped out. But there was no point to it at all anyway, the long-arm dude just crashes his boat on land and tries to fight Luffy himself.

The movie is a lot darker, like in the last few seconds of the last episode. Going from the movie to these episodes is kind of weird because the movie is so serious, but in the show, they are launching their subs into the air into mountains and exploding.

Also, anyone else feel like Nami controls weather more than predicts it? (More than just her staff obviously). Whenever the Straw Hats are in trouble, suddenly the ocean does something ridiculous to save them.

And I'm still surprised Crimin isn't a clothing brand yet. I think Oda secretly dreams of being a fashion designer. But anyone else think Nami's latest outfit is a wedding dress? I can't not see it.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So now Robin is also a master statician?

I thought this episode was pretty good as far as the pacing wasn't too noticeable. But I really wish they would just give us a filler arc. I feel like they had the perfect chance just now and they skipped it.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I really did not see Zoro killing the dragon coming (also the battle was not as great as I had hoped). This is exactly why I can't watch Toriko. "Here's a mythical creature, the last of its kind! ...and it's dead." It's a shame they didn't bring Brook along with his history with that samurai, but I guess I see what's going to happen since he was mistook for dead. And too bad Sanji didn't come to cook the dragon. Seems like a waste to have someone else cook it.

I'm overthinking One Piece...

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

And that was some good music at the end of the Biscuit Room portion of the episode.

I actually thought the music when Nami was doing whatever was actually kind of strange.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Did anyone notice there was a new One Piece special "Luffy's Episode: Adventure on Hand Island"? It came out back in December, but I don't remember anyone posting about it. I just found it.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

User0015 posted:

Why are they even running in the first place? Just beat the crap out of them already!

None of the crew ever seem to worry about mortal danger, even when a single stray bullet should be enough to kill them; and whenever they do fight, they mop the floor with their enemies; yet sometimes they arrive at the decision to run. It's always kind of strange when they decide that regular, nameless cannon-fodder is enough to spook them into running away. Especially this time, where if they blinked hard enough (Galaxy Winks aside), they'd've won.

[quote="cooldude2.0" post="412228168""]
After the 10th shot of the room I laughed a little at how silly it was getting. After the 20th it started to get real old. The whole scene made the strawhats look like assholes, and the giant baby doesn't make any goddamn sense. Did they even read the manga before animating this?
[/quote]

I was reminded of the really drawn out blood transfer scene. I agree the scene was annoyingly drawn out and yeah, really made them look like assholes. When everything started fading to white, I felt like they had really gotten over-the-top dramatic.

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Feb 5, 2013

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

Is it just me, or does the new music not feel One Piecey? It's sounds like they're using music from other anime.

I felt the same way about the last two episodes.
I know they have used the songs before, but the music has felt very off.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

New Episode

:yohoho:, demon eyed Strawhats, and the greatest day of Sanji's life.

Sanji is showing a lot of restraint actually. He's only shown himself what he has seen for the past half the arc already anyway.

Also, as soon as the hearts began spinning, I knew Sanji would end up in Nami's body.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It took them like 3 weeks, but it was worth it. Anyone else think that was a really good fight finally? Probably doesn't need spoiling, but anyone else confused how Law only needs to use his sword at certain times? He can manipulate the ship or swap hearts or do all kinds of various things to people well out of his range, but to injure say Tashigi, he needs to cut her. But other times he can even use his fingers. I guess I'm just thinking too much into it.
Also, how did those kids even make it that far without dying? They don't even have socks let alone any real clothes. Children in anime are always the most annoying characters.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So, I was there at the One Piece museum, listening to a recording of Oda (and reading the subtitles), and he says, "I like to use a lot of colors when I draw. The children love the colors." Which is when it finally dawned on me that One Piece's biggest target audience is children.

And then I watch this:

or worse:

I understand this is Japan, where a quarter of the population smokes and people walk around reading erotic magazines in public. But I want to be able to expect more from a children's show. These characters no longer even have human form anymore. And Japanese girls already suffer from enough inferiority issues. Let alone the smoking. Who in their right mind would let someone smoke in their non-smoker body?

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fat_Cow posted:

Ceaser Clown's VA is top notch.

The dude is always typecast as an evil scientist. He was even the evil scientist in Strong World.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Drakkel posted:

Nope. They added a lot of effects for the movie but I'm pretty sure the black coloration is a universal thing for Armament Haki.

I like the movie's Armament Haki way more than the main show's. Honestly, when he first used it in the show, I was disappointed how bad I thought it looked, but the movie looked really cool. I wish they would switch.

I also like, but didn't notice until some posted about it, the Observation Haki. I think it is a good way to visualize that the Haki is being used and looks cool.

I don't remember the Conquer's Haki in the movie. I saw the movie a few months ago, does anyone have a gif?

Shadow0 fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Apr 19, 2013