Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KoB
May 1, 2009

mushroom_spore posted:

I'm pretty sure this was a joke, and that the only times that Brook has been shown to *actually* be healed by milk were anime-only filler scenes written by people who didn't realize that it was a joke. :eng101:

In the original Thriller Bark thing, he just announced that he was healed and then immediately fell down again like an idiot.

Sure, but he has to be able to heal somehow, and milk makes perfect One-Piece-world-sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009
The problem is that normal guy Ussop with normal stuff just cant cut it in the crazy New World. So Oda invited wacky plant things to use in his tactics.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

Are they seriously not saving the training for flashbacks in later episodes when they reveal their moves? Because that's what I was imagining would end up happening. How far ahead is the manga?

Its getting into the final battle of the very next arc. It was shorter than Fishman island.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I always like Momonga. Just a normal dude with a rad mustache who is incredibly strong.

KoB
May 1, 2009

cooldude2.0 posted:

After the 10th shot of the room I laughed a little at how silly it was getting. After the 20th it started to get real old. The whole scene made the strawhats look like assholes, and the giant baby doesn't make any goddamn sense. Did they even read the manga before animating this?

I dont know how someone could watch 5 minutes of
COME BACK AND SAVE US
CAME BACK
COME ON GUYS
COME BACK PLEASE
ARE YOU STILL THERE?
COME BACK FOR US
OKAY?
REALLY?

and not be bored out of your mind.

KoB
May 1, 2009

dazoner posted:

Pupils would turn pink and there would be short little lines coming out of them to indicate they knew what was coming next.

Speaking of Haki, I like that the monster trio all knew when he woke up, and that hes a badass.

KoB
May 1, 2009

The Divine Orator posted:

In what I think is a sign of a worrying trend, the cp9 powerset being used like a generic movepool is extremely dull, geppu (that's the air step right?) looks incredibly stupid on both Momonga and the longarm guy.

You must have missed it where every Vice Admiral at Marineford used rokushiki. This isnt new.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

I'm a big fan of Brand New World also, but yeah those are all great openings.

If you are watching the anime and are the kind of guy who likes manga, I'd switch over to the manga completely around Thriller Bark.

And then go to youtube for Tactics 15.

KoB
May 1, 2009
It was definitely in the manga, you just dont remember I guess.

KoB
May 1, 2009
They forced Oda to make a mascot and he hated it until he realized that the mascot can actually be a good character as well.

KoB
May 1, 2009

ArcaneTree posted:

So.. When are we going to get a new opening?

We already did, but for some reason funimation doesn't air it.

KoB
May 1, 2009
One of the first few openings spoiled Robin being in the crew like way before Alabasta even started.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Sekkira posted:

Maybe the higher levels of antagonists (Blackbeard and Akainu. I don't really see Kizaru being up there because he seems to have a more laid back attitude) will be beaten not by Luffy punching them into the ground, but a group effort from the crew, especially as the show emphasises on the whole nakama thing.

Theres also the problem of Kizaru's ability being so incredibly powerful that he really shouldn't lose to many people without some sort of plot shenanigans. I wouldnt be surprised if he never gets a real fight against the crew.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Usopp or Nami have used Monster Trio before.

e: should have refreshed before posting :downs:

KoB
May 1, 2009

User0015 posted:

You guys talking about the manga being so amazing suck.

Which chapter is it on right now?

Like 712 or something. We're about 30 episodes ahead basically.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Senor Candle posted:

Thems the rules. I think it's dumb to require spoiler tags for the most recent episode in the discussion thread for that show but oh well.

Yeah, ideally the first person to bring it up should just go NEW EPISODE. If youre jumping to the end of the thread randomly thats your own fault.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Just the fact that hes literally immune to swords makes it decent enough.

KoB
May 1, 2009

cooldude2.0 posted:

In Smoker's flashback, the animators completely forgot about the body swap

That was when they were captured in the cage, Law had switched them back but they were tied up.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Senor Candle posted:

No he didn't.

He didnt, but he still oversaw the production and it is canon.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Wait, what was that at the end there? Are they actually doing filler?

KoB
May 1, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

I'm happy we finally get some filler. One Piece filler is far more entertaining than staring at each other.

Also,

I like how his antlers are a part of the hat, not his head

I also had a random thought - Chopper has a reindeer form, and then he has two semi-human forms. Aren't Zoan-types supposed to give you your base, crossbreed, and fullbreed? Again, Chopper is breaking all the rules. I guess somehow his basic form is supposed to be the hybrid and the gorilla is supposed to be the human? What do you think Sengoku's crossbreed form looks like? What if he uses the rumble ball?

Gorilla mode is supposed to be Human mode. Chopper mode is the hybrid, then hes got normal raccoon reindeer form. Oda's justification is that Humans in their animal-zoan form are totally obvious to animals just like Chopper's is to us.

KoB
May 1, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

I need recommendations for the most badass story arcs. I was one of those people who watched the first dozen or so episodes years ago when it first came out but dropped it because "meh...not Naruto". And, I don't feel like slogging through all multi-hundred episodes. I already have a basic understanding of all the main characters just through general anime fandom exposure and watching the intro arc, but where should I go from here?

I hear the anime is kind of craptastic until episode 100? I hear good things of the Battle at Marineford and the one where the crew goes vengeance on a dude loving with Nami. That's about it. (Episode ranges would be greatly appreciated for expediency.)

Marineford is definitely not a good adaption. Dude fuckin' with Nami would be the Arlong Arc in the 15-20s I think, which is where I think it really takes off.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Spidder posted:

Hopefully the anime folks will take advantage of this, fill in those gaps and come up with something watchable for their filler, as opposed to everything moving in slow motion and dragging out every gag.

Shadow0 posted:

I really hope so because I feel like I'm about to hate Sanji even more.

Dont get your hopes up because they've had the chance to do that stuff since Marineford and havent done anything but long still shots and stretching out scenes to their breaking point in order to fill an episode with a single chapter. Its been years people, just accept that this is what the show is and will be for quite some time.

KoB fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 10, 2014

KoB
May 1, 2009

Spidder posted:

True, they had their chance, but I think this time around the story is written in such a way that they can't not do it the proper way. It might be just me but I think Oda has been taking the anime into account, and written an arc that, unless they do some proper filler scenes instead of their usual poo poo, will feel really weird and disjointed in TV format compared to a comic, where it works just fine. Sort of like forcing them to do it right.

This exact same argument has come up for Punk Hazard and Fishman Island too. Every arc people go "this arc is perfect for filling in the gaps, dont worry." I was one of those people. They have no incentive to do anything different than what they've been doing.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

So I'm guessing in the manga, they still haven't done flashbacks to the characters' training arcs? They weren't posed with some impossible situation and had to think back on their training and have a few chapters of what they had done on their islands?

No. But the big fights are only just about to begin, so who knows.

KoB fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 11, 2014

KoB
May 1, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

Is that where all the new names have been coming from? Come to think of it, they have all been animals, haven't they...

Elephant Gun
Red Hawk
that snake one.

...UFO

KoB
May 1, 2009

Freakazoid_ posted:

How in the world did they get away with literally adding Zatoichi to this show? That's loving awesome, but I can't help thinking that's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Parody laws seem to be stronger in Japan.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

Judging from the lack of images with Jimbei featured as a crewmember, is it safe to say the manga hasn't gotten far enough for him to have to decide to join or not?

The manga hasnt even left Dressrosa.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Maybe I just didnt notice before, but they changed the opening to include the family executives.

~Senor Pink~ :allears:

KoB fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 5, 2014

KoB
May 1, 2009

lordfrikk posted:

Too bad it's probably going to be another 500 episodes before something like that happens again.

Believe in Captain Ussop.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Yeah, I dont think they explain why, but Solider didnt have any commands placed on him, only the transformation and memory stuff.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Drakkel posted:

Literally all they've said is "Yeah his body's real weird so that's probably why" and that's it so far.

And he was most likely referring to the Darkness fruit, and how its abnormal by Logia standards, making his body abnormal.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Gold Roger's voice actor passed away :(

KoB
May 1, 2009

Shadow0 posted:

This theory made so much sense that at first I thought you were posting spoilers. The wound on Shanks eye definitely looks like it came from a claw scratch, much like from a dog.

Blackbeard used to have wolverine claw weapon things.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Zoro/Sanji vs the Groggy brothers is still one of my favorite bits.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Zark the Damned posted:

OK cool, guess they just didn't bother animating it. Or maybe it'll be in a future episode. We've still got like at least 8 fights to resolve before Luffy and Law take on Doffy anyway (so what 50 episodes before the arc ends?).

Franky vs Senor Pink (so hard boiled)
Zoro vs Pica
Rebecca and Kyros vs Diamante
Sabo vs Zatoichi Fujitora
Ex-Gladiator Pirates versus Baby 5 and the miniboss brigade
Robin and co vs Explosion Man Gladius
Luffy vs Bellamy (from the next ep preview)
maybe Law vs Trebol at the same time?
did I miss any?

Also it's been ages since the Sunny crew were last on screen up so maybe a cutback to them?

If you watched the new OP, theres a Law flashback as well.

I think the anime is typically around 1 year behind the manga, and like he said above its not done yet.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Zark the Damned posted:

I'd thought that the anime was catching up to the manga and they needed to slow it down, hence the amount of padding and recaps and general slow pacing currently. Is that not the case?

If not then gently caress this arc, it's going on far too long already and badly needs splitting into several shorter ones (given it's already a continuation of Punk Hazard).

Its padded out to be 1 chapter per episode, it wont ever catch up.

KoB
May 1, 2009
I liked when the series was at its darkest it had the weirdest bubbly girly song for the OP and when the Impel Down guys did their full on Nazi salute the song went ~YAAYYYY~

KoB
May 1, 2009
Im pretty sure it just rotted away on the ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="453047692"]
Why would being excited for a Duncan Jones movie but not another lovely rear end Superman movie be shameful?

Because Blizzard clearly has a lot of control over the movie and they cant write a story worth poo poo anymore.