Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I believe I was following Vegapunk subs during that time period, though their website seems to be gone now. You're still going to have jump around a bit though since they ended slowing down like every other One Piece fansub group, though not too much compared to earlier. I think after Vegapunk is Nakama subs, then you can start watching official at 391. Unless you really care about image quality, I'd say just watch on a streaming site till you've caught up to official subs.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Oct 23, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
That, or get them to watch a tragic flashback like's Nami's. It's how I got my friend hooked on One Piece anyways.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Not sure if it's relevant to the current debate, but Ivankov is based off a real-life okama that Oda knew. That person was even Ivankov's initial VA before he had to stop due to going to prison for showing off his tattoos on the internet.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The main problem is that there is a gap in the official episodes, between the old episodes and the currently streaming episodes on the funimation site, which I think are still unlicensed. I posted about it before for someone else who asked about a fansub.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Renoistic posted:

I just finished the (terrible) Thriller Bark arc and feel really burned out on the anime. Are there any highlights in the coming episodes or should I just skip ahead?

Well, the anime did give the next arc, the Sabaody Archipelago Arc, justice in terms of emotional impact in my opinion. Though I could just be thinking solely of the climax of it, which the anime tends to do better at than at the buildup parts of an arc, which tends to have padding.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Yeah, Sabo was voiced by the VA for Naruto, leading to them adding filler of the trio sneaking in to try ramen. The white haired kid is voiced by Romi Park, who has done poo poo loads of roles including Edward Elric and Temari.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Arlong basically is the turning point since it's the first real arc that has its core 5 crew members, and has the first instance of Luffy showing how much he believes in protecting his crew. The other thing about the smaller arcs is that it builds and slowly develops the characters as well as getting you used to them, which has big payoffs in the bigger arcs. Usopp is one of my favorite characters, but I can understand people getting annoyed by him initially, but he has one of the best character arcs across the series as he grows from a cowardly liar to the pirate of the sea he aspires to be, which you wouldn't fully appreciate if you were to just jump straight into Alabasta or Water 7. It's also why Alabasta is still one of my favorite arcs, since it pays off a lot of the characters' growth up to that point in addition to being the climax of the Baroque Works storyline that had started the moment they came into the Grand Line. One Piece starts off fairly lightheartedly with a lot of silly elements, which is off-putting to people more used to other shonen fare like Naruto or Bleach, but it's also why the more serious arcs have much more impact when they happen.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Nope, One Piece filler never lasts that long compared to other shonen anime. There were 3 episodes of filler but we've been back in the main story for a few weeks now.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
626-628 were filler. There's been 4 episodes since then so you're not too far behind.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The main reason why timeskip filler won't be that likely is that in the case of Zoro, Robin, and maybe Frankie, where they were is too story-significant to be done as filler, since more likely than not, stuff they did or learned will likely come up as plot points in the future.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

EmmyOk posted:

He'll definitely come back after he runs away, but I wish he'd stop running away to begin with! I like his cowardice and find it funny, but I'd like to see him stand up to people a bit more especially after the skip.

Also as a new person to the thread, I assume I'm not the only one who reckons Lola's mother will turn out to be Big Mom?

That theory kind of died when Big Mom was revealed and what she was like, I assumed.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Well, it is that. It's also all the dark stuff that you mentioned, but One Piece has always had a very good balance between the two. Also should have known what you're getting into when you're dealing with pirates!

Your reaction is interesting since the anime did go outta of its way to rearrange the chapters so that Luffy's backstory came up later, so it did start off with light-hearted adventures first before digging into Luffy's beginnings. Obviously, One Pace changed it back to the manga's beginning.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Truga posted:

I'm actually fine with just having one real episode per month. In fact, they should probably just do that. Air repeats 3 weeks, new episode 4th week or something. Or make it one of those 12 minute shows, but keep the 4 minute OP. :v:

I have a feeling Fuji TV would never let that fly. It's been mentioned before but the reason why One Piece and other long runners don't take a season off is because by continually producing content, they don't lose their timeslot which apparently is difficult to get back if they go off the air. Japan just doesn't do reruns for whatever reason other than the occasional reairings like Psycho-pass and gundam seed hd.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Shadow0 posted:

Another thing I just thought of: Franky turned down the meramera no mi and said he likes his ability to swim, but as a robot, aren't his arms mechanical anyway? Won't they still function? Or maybe does the sapping just make you too tired to even think about moving?

You're questioning the effects of devil fruit in a series where a gun ate the dog-dog fruit.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Julias posted:

It also exemplifies that modern isn't always better. The last good OP was Share the World (We Go was alright, though).

I liked Fight Together. I can't speak for anything after We Go since I stopped watching.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Zark the Damned posted:

There's also the fanwank theory that Chopper ate the Model: Yeti version of the fruit.

He ate some different model of the human-human fruit since Sengoku ate the model Buddha one

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Shadow0 posted:

I really really hope we get a very lengthy filler arc after this.

I wouldn't bet on it.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Zark the Damned posted:

Or how about a short filler arc detailing the adventures of the folks on board the Sunny showing what they've been up to during the final fighting?

I guess that wouldn't fly because no Luffy but they've been gone for what feels like hundreds of episodes :(

Well you'll get that as part of the next arc regardless, since what they've been doing is basically the setup.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Zark the Damned posted:

I do kinda wish it'd been more like the Lucci fight where Luffy only collapses after he's won. Having that happen part way through the fight to have the villain come back like it ain't no thing kills it.

However the arc would still have had lovely pacing even without that. There were far too many mini-arcs being bounced between with recaps whenever they switched back to one of them. Probably could've halved the length if they'd just focussed on one plot point at a time instead of constantly jumping around.

The interesting thing about the Lucci fight is that Luffy was set-back for a good chunk of it. Like Gear 3rd was introduced during that fight only for it not to be as effective as Luffy would have liked so there was a brief bit where he was getting beat up in chibi form too. Oda had a lot of interesting things happening in parallel to that fight though so you never really felt like the fight was getting drawn out, and Luffy's desperation at keeping up with Lucci really sold it. Enough that him collapsing and almost losing till Usopp gave his motivational speech which basically gave Luffy his last wind to do his final attack, which is a lot more emotionally compelling compared to Dressrosa's time-limit collapse.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Larryb posted:

That's what I figured, when's the best place to watch Strong World? After Thriller Bark or after the little mini-arc later on that ties directly into it? If it's the former, then is there a similar case for Z as well?

Strong World can only happen after Thriller Bark. Z basically can't fit into the timeline at all but it's neat and has early post-time skip stuff like Aokiji. Gold is also worth watching since it's a fun heist movie. Baron Omotsuri is movie worth watching on its own merits, but it's also very unlike the usual One Piece stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Larryb posted:

I'm only on Arlong Park currently, what's the best place to watch Baron Omotsuri after?

Anytime after Alabasta is fine