Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

bondster posted:

Good Point!

Also its a little early but The Opening

This is the first opening that doesn't feel like it should've ended halfway through. I liked the last one, but this one flows a lot better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

WhiffleballDude posted:

What I was thinking is that the eyecatches will be different variations of all the Strawhats walking, with someone's "item" in the foreground. Like Zoro's swords, Nami's tangerines/pinwheel, maybe Sogeking's mask.

That seems like what they're going for here, I like it. I really hated those last eyecatches they did and I really miss the bounty posters, though.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Seeing those two Luffys at once made everything so confusing to follow :( I couldn't really tell, who voiced Fake Zoro?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

OrangeGuy posted:

Random, but what is everyone's favorite opening theme? I didn't know what to think of the new opening at first, but now it's easily my favorite theme out of the fifteen so far. I also really liked the fourteenth one at the time.

Brand New World is pretty much what got me to start watching/reading the series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7KXBIPZ_c_I

Very disappointing that it only lasted like six episodes for some reason, and they replaced it with the annoying Crazy Rainbow. Every op after that (Until Fight Together) felt really bland, and eventually they looked less and less fitting for the series (One Day, I'm looking at you). Does anyone know why they decided to make the openings twice as long after this? Almost every time they drag on way too long. They also marked the end of... well, endings.

Momomo fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 25, 2011

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

But making an opening twice as long would give them the same amount of work, wouldn't it? If they're hurting for time (god knows they were when they stared this), why not throw endings in too?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I know that, I'm saying taking out the ending and adding a minute to the opening means they're at the same length as before.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I'd be more excited about this if the next block of eps didn't involve a whole lot of filler. The anime pretty much destroyed any fun in the Davy Back fight, and then there's that awful dragon memory arc. The next few boxsets are going to be painful.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Coby's character at the beginning was mostly to show what kind of guy Luffy is, and the entire tone of the show. He was the one grounded in reality so Luffy could blow away expectations like declaring he'd rather die than not be the Pirate King. If this was a different manga, Coby would be the main character and Luffy would be the sparsely seen side one.

As for now, I find him kind of boring, to be perfectly honest. While his character did need to return eventually, I really hope they don't go the Roger:Garp route for Luffy and him.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Himuro posted:

What is with Nami's face in this episode? She doesn't have a traditional female Oda Nami face at all.

Wasn't just Nami, everyone got multiple shots in which they looked really bad.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Envisioned posted:

Chopper will always have a place in the upper tier for me simply for the 'hiding behind a door the wrong way' gag.

Some of the other character's little quirks and traits start to feel a little played out, but that one never ever will. Gets me rolling every time.

I don't remember him doing at other than just the one time, actually.

(Brook is my least favorite Strawhat by the way)

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

There's also the point that all the trans people in One Piece are meant to be horrifying. All of them. Even though Ivankov is a cool person, everything about his design is supposed to be disturbing. I don't really expect Oda to be great with any gender that's not male (he did afteral draw a scene in which Nami is essentially raped in a shower), but they doesn't make it any better.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Those two movies are nowhere near as bad as movie 3.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Endorph posted:

It's definitely a victim of the anime's pacing - I remember it going by a lot quicker in the Manga.

And even then the manga was still way too long and drawn out.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

gnome7 posted:

You really can't remember Ussop's greatest moment? His entire involvement in Enies' Lobby was "Snipers are awesome."

e;fb

That was incredibly underwhelming for what was supposed to be his big commitment to the whole thing. They made a big thing about Usopp leaving the crew and coming back, but he ended up not doing a whole lot.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Yeah but that's pretty much all he got to do. He didn't get a fight, he only got his rear end kicked. It just seems so lame that his finest moment is shooting fodder.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I don't really think he can hold his own at all. The only reason he lasted so long was because Luffy wasn't as serious as he could've been. It only took one hit to take him down.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

It seemed a lot more like he was just caught off guard than Usopp actually doing damage to him. By the end it looked like Luffy was still in top form while Usopp was down. That fight showed us Usopp was a lot more dangerous than we previously thought, but a strong opponent against Luffy? I don't think so.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I think that's more to do with the art, not because you're reading right to left.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Sounds exactly like any other trailer with JPop in it to me, it's just someone we recognize this time.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Magna Kaser posted:

Also all good OPs had a Gold Roger monologue :colbert:

This is wrong because Brand New World is obviously the best one.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Scratchman Apoo posted:

Share the World, Map of the Heart, and Fight Together are some of my all time favorite openings; do they not get much love?

We just don't mention the best opening, since it's obvious to everyone:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ancwu_9KFTk

I love Fight Together too, it's like the only double-sized op that doesn't feel drawn out to me.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

I'm pretty sure it was before Luffy even fought Croc the third time, well before the arc was over.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

There was that time in Alabasta where Luffy flew right into Smoker from behind and they both crashed into the bar Ace was eating in. I don't know if that part was filler or not, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Prison Warden posted:

His splitting power makes him potentially logia-level untouchable. More actually, if he trained his reflexes enough to chop chop escape from attacks. Like this

I'm still waiting for this exact game, starring Law. :colbert: