Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Its not subbed afaik.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Gyges posted:

New Episode is up.

Already trying to cash in on Hobbit tie ins. For shame One Piece. :colbert:

They probably should have tossed in some more filler though since this is the start of the arc that's going on in the manga right now.
Idk the current arc is really long. 50+ chapters so far and it looks like it'll continue for atleast 15 more.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Luffy special is out subbed.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Autumncomet posted:

I finally finished the Film Z filler. It was okay, I guess? I really liked Lily although I'm a bit irked it didn't have a definite conclusion.

Onto more exciting news:

So is it gonna be a dub?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It does if you put more emphasis on Luffy's progress because he was getting his rear end kicked by a no name chump, and ignoring his Observation Haki that let him dodge pacifistas but not these guys, until he got a one time powerup. Which ruins the reason they trained for 2 years when they make the Hody Jones fight much closer and do what I just described.

Kild fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 7, 2013

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

The subs are like a 4/10 quality. Full of grammar errors and it doesn't translate some things. It also makes the story a bit weird if its translated correctly. Also the video flickers a lot near the middle. Other than that it's fine.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

quote:

Romance Dawn : 1-3
Buggy Arc: 4-8
Captain Kuro Arc: 9-17
Don Krieg Arc: 18-30
Arlong Arc: 31-44
Buggy side story: 45-47
Logue town : 48-53 (50,51 filler)

[Warship island Arc: 54-60
terrible filler don't bother watching but read spoiler tag
explains that the calm belt surronds the grand line, this basically has no current/wind is unsailable for pirate ships and has larger then normal seakings.]
Episode 61 is half filler half canon

Whiskey peak Arc: 62-67
Coby/Helmeppo Side Story: 68-69
Little Garden Arc: 70-77
Drum Island Arc: 78-91
Arabasta Arc: 92-130 (93,98,99,101,102 are filler)

[Post Arabasta Arc: 131-135 Basically recap how ppl joined crew
Goat island arc: 136-138 (debatedly the worst filler in the series, definitely don't bother watching)
Rainbow Mist Arc: 139-143 (as far as filler goes this isn't too bad, if you wanna give any filler a chance i'd recommend this one)]

Jaya Arc: 144-152
Skypiea Arc: 153-195

[G8 Arc: 196-206]

Davy Back Fight Arc: 207-219 (213-216 are filler)

[Memory Arc: 220-224
Return of foxy: 225-226]

226 is mostly filler
Water 7 Arc: 227-263
Enies lobby: 264-312 (279-283 filler about how strawhats joined crew recap, 291-292 and 303)
Post enies lobby arc: 313-325 (317-319 filler)

[Ice hunter arc: 326-336]

Thriller bark arc : 337-381

[Spa island: 382-384]

Saboady Archipelago: 385-405
Boss luffy: 406-7 filler
Amazon Lily: 408-421
Impel down: 422-425, 430-452
(426-429 are specials relating to movie 10 which will be written by oda there awful but linked to movie 10 you don't really need to watch them to watch movie 10
Strawhat whereabouts: 453-456
Story recap: 457-458
Whitebeard War Saga: 459-489
Post war-arc: 490-516 (492, 497-499, 506 filler)
Return to Sabaody: 517-522
Fishman Island Arc: 523-574 (542 filler)
Z's ambition arc: 575-578 filler
Punk Hazard: 579 onwards

Someones list I came across. Anything in brackets is a filler 'arc'

Kild fucked around with this message at 10:44 on May 14, 2013

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Silento posted:

I think I remember seeing a picture of something that looked like Franky-Chopper with a cigar in its mouth. Not sure where I saw it, or if it was concept art. A cursory search of Google Images didn't find it either.

this?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Like the body of a reindeer but a head of a human?

Kild fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 19, 2013

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Dukeofdummies posted:

you know, I finally read some of the manga's. You are totally right. They could absolutely pack two chapters into one episode. Easily

Yeah most manga can fit ~40 pages of content in a 20 minute episode.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

I tried to marathon through Impel down and Marineford but I had to skip the first half of every episode because it was just a 10 minute recap of Luffy screaming Ace.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Prison Warden posted:

I seem to recall someone mentioning an edit of Marineford floating around a while back, but all my googling has turned up nothing but dead links these days :(

Marineford Abridged or One Pace is whats its called IIRC.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Abitha Denton posted:

Why do Blackbeard and Sabo even have to be different characters? Obviously Sabo's skin was burned in the explosion, his hair turned black and scraggly from the damage, and he lost a bunch of teeth. He gained weight from overeating due to the trauma and now he's returned to Teach the world a lesson.

You mean Blackbeard ate Sabo and merged together.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Suspicious Lump posted:

Holy crap ep 616 is amazing!

What the gently caress Law... when was he that strong. Extremely well done, I thought it was going to end with a cliffhanger but nope. Im an anime only so that was awesome.

2 things I'm confused about

1. Doflamingo is not the same as the four emperors that Law wants to topple right? (ones the Shichibukai and the other is... whatever White Beard was called).
2. Do we know what "gear" is Law talking about?

One Piece just got better again!

The four Emporers or Yonkou are Kaidou Big Mom (Fish Island Arc showed her) Blackbeard (Took Whitebeards spot) and Shanks

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Gyges posted:

Other than the one dude whose name we don't know yet, name one Warlord Luffy hasn't had a fight with.

I don't think he actually fought Hancock. Jinbei either.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Crazyeyes posted:

But Whitebeard was already dead several minutes when Blackbeard did his whole cloak and steal trick. I think blackbeard's fruit is unique in giving him the ability to assimilate other fruits into himself. He can absorb matter with it, why not other stuff?

Edit: It has also been specifically stated that something is physiologically different in BB's body that makes him able to withstand the use of multiple fruits.

Yes but its something from before he ate the fruit.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Senor Candle posted:

Oda wrote Strong World and said it is canon so it is canon. It happens in between Thriller Bark and Sabaody.

Z is not canon.

He also wrote Z...

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yeah the Anime is ~20 episodes (~30 chapters), at a good pace, away from the Manga. They need the buffer.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

AlternateNu posted:

I need recommendations for the most badass story arcs. I was one of those people who watched the first dozen or so episodes years ago when it first came out but dropped it because "meh...not Naruto". And, I don't feel like slogging through all multi-hundred episodes. I already have a basic understanding of all the main characters just through general anime fandom exposure and watching the intro arc, but where should I go from here?

I hear the anime is kind of craptastic until episode 100? I hear good things of the Battle at Marineford and the one where the crew goes vengeance on a dude loving with Nami. That's about it. (Episode ranges would be greatly appreciated for expediency.)

Just watch from the beginning to get the backstory and around episode 30 (Arlong arc) is when it starts taking off.

One Piece brings back references and seemingly minor characters throughout the story so missing character development and story can ruin the impact of poo poo.

Kild fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Dec 27, 2013

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

socialsecurity posted:

If you get a good guide for skipping filler and skip the 8 minutes of OP + recap the episodes go by very quickly.

quote:

Romance Dawn : 1-3
Buggy Arc: 4-8
Captain Kuro Arc: 9-17
Don Krieg Arc: 18-30
Arlong Arc: 31-44
Buggy side story: 45-47
Logue town : 48-53 (50,51 filler)

[Warship island Arc: 54-60
terrible filler don't bother watching but read spoiler tag
explains that the calm belt surronds the grand line, this basically has no current/wind is unsailable for pirate ships and has larger then normal seakings.]
Episode 61 is half filler half canon

Whiskey peak Arc: 62-67
Coby/Helmeppo Side Story: 68-69
Little Garden Arc: 70-77
Drum Island Arc: 78-91
Arabasta Arc: 92-130 (93,98,99,101,102 are filler)

[Post Arabasta Arc: 131-135 Basically recap how ppl joined crew
Goat island arc: 136-138 (debatedly the worst filler in the series, definitely don't bother watching)
Rainbow Mist Arc: 139-143 (as far as filler goes this isn't too bad, if you wanna give any filler a chance i'd recommend this one)]

Jaya Arc: 144-152
Skypiea Arc: 153-195

[G8 Arc: 196-206]

Davy Back Fight Arc: 207-219 (213-216 are filler)

[Memory Arc: 220-224
Return of foxy: 225-226]

226 is mostly filler
Water 7 Arc: 227-263
Enies lobby: 264-312 (279-283 filler about how strawhats joined crew recap, 291-292 and 303)
Post enies lobby arc: 313-325 (317-319 filler)

[Ice hunter arc: 326-336]

Thriller bark arc : 337-381

[Spa island: 382-384]

Saboady Archipelago: 385-405
Boss luffy: 406-7 filler
Amazon Lily: 408-421
Impel down: 422-425, 430-452
(426-429 are specials relating to movie 10 which will be written by oda there awful but linked to movie 10 you don't really need to watch them to watch movie 10
Strawhat whereabouts: 453-456
Story recap: 457-458
Whitebeard War Saga: 459-489
Post war-arc: 490-516 (492, 497-499, 506 filler)
Return to Sabaody: 517-522
Fishman Island Arc: 523-574 (542 filler)
Z's ambition arc: 575-578 filler
Punk Hazard: 579 onwards

Someones list I came across. Anything in brackets is a filler 'arc'

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

There is always that effort to DBZ Kai the episodes, I forget the name of the guy doing it though, so I'm not being too helpful right now.

Unfortunately, the incredibly slow build-up is one of the best parts of the show, in my opinion. You meet some evil dude, you want Luffy to beat him, but you're forced to watch him continue to do more and more evil as Luffy slowly makes his way to him, which only makes Luffy finally beating him all the more satisfactory. I always think I want to find an episode to show someone to get them into the show, but it's so hard because even though you love a certain fight, it will never mean as much to someone that hasn't seen Luffy struggle to get to that point where he's finally defeating him.

One Pace is doing from Thriller Bark -> Timeskip and Timeskip -> Current.

I think they're up to the Moriah fight and they have everything current since the timeskip.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Last Celebration posted:

Pretty sure the anime got the same thing the manga got, where Zoro begged to train under Mihawk, Sanji found out he could make superfood in Newkama Island, Robin joined the revolutionaries, etc. But yeah, I'm assuming that we're gonna get the flashbacks before each character's first real New World fight. Although, there can't really be enough flashbacks about Zoro learning how to slash entire plateaus in half while half asleep, or all the crazy monsters Luffy named his new moves after. :(

No the anime expanded on them. Zoro fought some bamboons including a Mihawk clone. Robin escaping slavery on the bridge. Nami with the weather wizards learning weather stuff then eventually trying to run off to Luffy. Franky doing a bunch of stuff in Vegapunks lab and fighting cyborg animals then blowing up the lab. Chopper fixing the bird vs native people problem and learning about their giant library. Ussop getting super fat eating all the food on the island then working out with Hercules. Brook being 'summoned' by people tired of being human trafficked in the double elbow island.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

Someone give him the watching guide to the One Piece anime so he doesn't watch a bunch of lovely filler

Which made me check the OP for it and discovered the OP hasn't been updated in literally two years(minus like, 3 days)

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3440774&userid=163825#post415429779

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

bondster posted:

Its been a while since I've been in this thread! Yea I will probably need to update the OP at some point (unless someone wants to make a new one, I haven't been watching the anime for a while now).

However, I did catch the new special they put up on Crunchyroll "3D2Y" that takes place during the timeskip. Its a neat little side story with some characters being awesome and other being kinda pointless save for 5 seconds. Now, I decided to catch this special as when it was announced it claimed to have something "The fans have been waiting for" and I can safely say that yes IT HAS SOMETHING PRETTY BIG IN IT (but it's in the last 10 seconds so you have to watch until the very end).

how canon is it?

http://i.imgur.com/RwTkWAQ.jpg has what looks like joker's symbol

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Drakkel posted:

It's really similar to the symbol on Whitebeard's medical equipment. Maybe came from the same place?

Huh you're right.

http://img.mangastream.to/manga/one-piece/234/One%20Piece%20-%20234%20-%2012_13.jpg

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Heavy Metal posted:

Lemmy from Motorhead is 68, so I'll guess 68 in One Piece years for Whitebeard. They both have excellent facial hair too. :D Maybe Whitebeard has Pirate diabetes or something.

Scurvy :tinfoil:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

I'm all for more filler arcs. As one of the longest running series ever, I'd hate it if they started doing seasons, just do filler arcs. I find them usually to be pretty watchable. They had so many perfect opportunities before they got bogged down in the current arc; the episodic nature of going from island to island gives them so many chances. At least they can do some Luffy in the past stuff I guess.

I'm going to be really disappointed if they never fill in what happened during the timeskip. I figured it was flashback fodder since flashbacks are how anime characters gain power, and they ran out of reasonable flashback timespan between being born and joining the crew for all the characters.

They did show some of what happened in the timeskip for the crew and recently released an OVA with Luffy doing stuff during the timeskip.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Shadow0 posted:

I'm still confused on how his power had anything to do with what he did. And also why he did what he did.

Also, is he logia then?

He's mucus.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Katamari Democracy posted:

I purchased Film Z by Funimation and just got done watching it. Such a good movie. One question.

Zed has his arm cut off by a pirate, but when he was fighting Luffy at the end, clearly he had both arms during his "Black Arm" moment. What was up with that? Is that a translation error or was it just anime?

Beneath the Battle Smasher is a black, advanced prosthetic that is almost indistinguishable from the real arm that he had lost.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Kingnothing posted:

That image is so low resolution it looks like one blade.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

It's an oversight.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Zark the Damned posted:

I'd thought that the anime was catching up to the manga and they needed to slow it down, hence the amount of padding and recaps and general slow pacing currently. Is that not the case?

If not then gently caress this arc, it's going on far too long already and badly needs splitting into several shorter ones (given it's already a continuation of Punk Hazard).

It's been slow pacing recaps and padding since Marineford.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Isn't that what basically everybody else is doing already? Outside of Toriko I can't think of any other series that's still plowing along week after week without break. Even other super popular Shonen Jump animes like Fairy Tale are doing seasonal animes now.

Naruto is still going strong week after week padding out 1 chapter = 1 episode and adding filler even though the series ended already.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Truga posted:

Wait, there was another timeskip and they're just going on now?

Not that I haven't expected this but....

Let me tell you about Burrito and Salad.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Suspicious Lump posted:

What? I thought that was anime bullshit. Did this actually happen in the manga? Hahah wtf.

No one dies in One Piece outside of flashbacks and Ace/Whitebeard.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

You forgot the Going Merry.

It lives on in the Thousand Sunny.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

She was revealed to be Sugar's sister in a SBS so she's probably not dead. But we'll see.

Virgo probably isn't dead either. He'll show up with amnesia somewhere as a cook or something with food on his face.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

X Drake.

Diez Drake.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Zark the Damned posted:

I guess it'd depend on what hit him, but I'd assume anything that killed him immediately couldn't be regenerated.

Law's fruit is an exception too as you have to sacrifice yourself to give someone else immortality.

Although, how does Doffy know about that? Surely if it's a known effect of that fruit it means it's been done before, so where are the immortals?

I guess there's also how you define 'Immortal' - do they mean 'can't be killed' or do they just mean 'can't die of old age'?

Presumably World Nobles since Dofy used to be one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Suspicious Lump posted:

Holy hell that was good. I ended up finding out what chapter ep 719 was and read it before this episode because I couldnt wait to see what Zoro's fifth plan was. Of course the episode was drawn out, but you know Zoro is super strong when he makes a few thousand people :aaa:. I always love Zoro's fights and he doesn't even have a devil fruit power!

Getting really sick of Luffy vs Bellamy. I bet the manga didn't show the same footage over and over again like the anime, which makes it feel as if Luffy has been fighting Bellamy for a long time. Just loving knock him out already.

Even in the manga this whole section just draggggggggggs