Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

NikkolasKing posted:

in story questions, are Awakened Devil Fruits super rare, even among characters much stronger than Doflamingo?

You'll get more answers to "awakened devil fruits" later, but there was actually one mention earlier that most people overlooked at the time: the animal guards on level 2 of impel down are said to be awakened zoans. But yeah, in story terms, it's quite rare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Without spoilering anything, momo does continue to develop as a character, and yes the glacial anime pacing does make it worse since it drags out this whole arc even longer than the manga (which people have also been suffering from fatigue with).

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Well you're going to have to dodge manga spoilers for over a year if you don't want to learn about it early, and considering the last couple of chapters have been treading all over Twitter and even reached the top of r/all on reddit, before the official release uhhhhh good luck with that.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Freakazoid_ posted:

that was a lot of good animation wasted just so we can see luffy punch really good at the end

now we pay for it in a review episode next week

uuuuggghhhh

"Wasted" also they're doing a review ep because it's golden week and nobody would be watching tv

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

dipwood posted:

One Piece anime is in a relatively good spot now.

The only main issue, which.... did we have this before? Where they just cut around all the time instead of focusing on one fight? It's majorly hype killing. If this was directed well, it could very well have been one of the most hype arcs ever, but the pacing and constant cuts to different scenes is just jarring to me.

That's mostly the Mangas fault with regards to this arc, though I do think the anime exacerbated it because in the manga it's usually just a panel or two whereas the anime will make it a full 1-3 minute scene.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Zark the Damned posted:

The latest episode almost resolved a plot thread! The Ice Oni cure

So of course next week is more filler. Le sigh. Can't have the anime gaining any ground while the manga's on hiatus!

Honestly feeling like skipping the anime for a year or so and hoping One Pace does a decent job on it.

Fun fact, the scene where we see Chopper trying the cure on themselves was anime only! Definitely a good addition though.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Truga posted:

is the wano arc over yet? last time i was watching i stopped when luffy landed there, i usually pick it back up when an arc finishes lol

The anime still has over a year of wano to get through. It ended in the manga like a month ago.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Shadow0 posted:

:same:

I always thought it was strange that one of the most popular anime ever has one of the deadest threads. :(

Wano has been interesting at times, but I'm really ready for it to be over. Alas next episode is a recap...

The entire Sanji arc has been odd. It feels extremely tacked on. It tries to play both sides of "Sanji is special from birth" and "Sanji is special because of his hard work and convictions". He's genetically enhanced, but actually he was poisoned, but actually he is. He decides that these things are just tools in his toolbox, but also destroys the suit (albeit he does decide this after it's already destroyed).
The timeline is really weird too. Like Law and Queen are aware of Stealth Black, but when did Sanji ever do any work for Germa 66?
None of it fits the setting either.
All-in-all, I really dislike the whole Germa 66 stuff, and I'm glad Queen is finally defeated.

On the flip side,

I really loved the Robin vs Quelaag fight. The fanservice was a bit much and the entire mist flashback whatever was mostly just a waste of time, but everything else was great. Sanji trusting and relying on Robin was cool, Robin turning into a demon felt thematic and a good evolution of her power, giant Octo-Robin was really cool but disappointing that it didn't do much, but Robin suddenly busting out fishman karate (and dragon claw fist) was extremely awesome. The fury sword fire pug halberd was fun too.

I thought it was weird Hatch was briefly trying to discourage others from teaching Robin new techniques in her flashback, and it was also weird that Robin felt like she might want to just stick with slaps. It's already like the least threatening attack someone could make, but also why turn down learning something? I'm sure it's just filler, but it stuck out to me as odd.

Still: Robin best character.

1) Most of the people on the forums read the manga first and mainly post in there, many just stick to the Manga and just check out the anime for particular scenes or episodes that are done well. A big part of this is the terrible pacing of the anime as a whole.

2)Law is aware of Germa 66 because of the comic in the world economic times, which is a propaganda piece about the warrior Sora fighting against the evil germa 66. Queen is aware of germa66 because in the past both he and Judge were members of a group of scientists called MADS, way before Sanji was born.

3) The Robin stuff wasn't filler except for stretching out the illusions from a couple of panels to like half an episode.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Shadow0 posted:

Spoilers :P (? Or did the anime inexplicably skip saying that like how they don't animate the bonus stories like Enel on the Moon even though they are desperate for filler)
But also, that doesn't explain how Law is aware of Stealth Black before Stealth Black was even born.

Nah none of this stuff was skipped or future manga content, it was all in wano, it's just been so long and stretched out that you've probably forgotten about it. We got told about the germa comics back in whole cake arc, and law learned about stealth black from them, despite there not being an actual stealth black in the real world since Sanji was a failure. The features of sanji's stealth black matched the fictional character was all. And Queen mentioned Judge and MADS at some point earlier in onigashima.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The zoro vs king episode got some ufotable quality animation for the ending, it's definitely worth a watch for just the spectacle.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Gyges posted:

Seems weird to refer to an animation sequence as single cut.

"Cuts" are an animation term for when the perspective changes or scene cuts to a different location or shot, such as when you go from a wide shot showing multiple people to a close up of a character's face.

In the one piece example it's a single cut because law's animation is the actual cut, and big mom is actually a part if the dynamic background changing throughout this scene.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Truga posted:

i stopped watching when luffy hit the shores of wano is the arc done now?

Nope, give it another 4-5 months or so.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
It mostly comes down to the specific director of the episode and how much time they have to animate it, as well as the storyboarding in someinstances. Like the director of this episode, Tatsuya Nagamine, is kind of infamous for doing a lot of padding and flashback stuff. He's kind of the "director who knows how to be efficient and get stuff done with limited time and resources". But yeah there are some inexcusable bits in this episode that are just incredibly hard to visually parse, especially if you aren't familiar with the manga chapter, that would have really benefited from just lingering on for one or two extra seconds, that felt like it should have been caught in the early stages of creating the episode.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Definitely watch the new one piece episode when it comes out. New OP and one of the most amazing animated sequences in the series so far, up there with the zoro vs king fight.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Kild posted:

no the anime just does less than 1 chapter an episode now. That said all of chapter 1048 was in this episode

While that's mostly been true, they've actually been going about 1:1 since episode 1061 (Sanji vs Queen) back in May, but they've been compensating with recap episodes instead.

And yeah, as much as this episode felt like filler, it's accurate to the Manga chapter, which also felt like filler.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Yeah, while it almost certainly helps with the stronger animation flourishes, the real reason for doing them is because everyone since sanji vs Queen, they've been mostly adapting at a 1:1 chapter/manga ratio, and with Oda constantly taking weekly breaks, they need to slow down so they don't catch up to the Manga. I imagine the pacing will slow down again now that we are at the end of Wano and the fighting is finished.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Gologle posted:

It's crazy that Crunchyroll chose Luffy's dump truck rear end as the thumbnail for their teaser for this past episode

I point to the current one piece manga thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Only registered members can see post attachments!