Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
There are very few things on the internet that annoy me more then trying to watch an officially streamed program that stops every five seconds while the ads run flawlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

ThingOne posted:

No love for Zoro's scene? I thought they handled it perfectly.

I wonder if he got a sword upgrade in the last two years. Last I remember he had two really high end swords and one pretty good one.

I love Sanji and Usopp's facial hair, but I think it'll be a while before Usopp's and Zoro's outfits grow on me. And I don't think I've seen Sanji smoke yet, which I find disconcerting.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
So according to this link, if you ranked the swords cool enough to have names from 1-4, with 1 being the highest classification, Zoro currently has two #2 grade swords, and one #4 grade sword. He needs to upgrade Sandai Kitetsu or I will be annoyed that one is significantly weaker. :colbert:

Bobulus posted:

I'd have to go back and check, but I thought the Rust guy took out the "not quite as high quality but still pretty good" sword he got as a reward for buying the cursed sword.

I think Yubashiri was of slightly higher quality than the cursed sword.

CubanMissile fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Oct 11, 2011

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Suspicious Lump posted:

Also losing an eye as a swords man must be really bad. No more depth perception!

Luckily losing an eye in an anime has zero effect on your fighting ability.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Because Zoro gags are better than any skull joke x1000.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

JosephWongKS posted:

This particular Zoro gag is a skull joke.

You just blew my mind.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

KoB posted:

And Franky continues to be the best Strawhat.

At the rate he's going, he'll end up being the Strawhat's next ship himself. Nah, they'll probably just float on Nami or Robin's boobs.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Rotten rear end Joe posted:

Edit: Watching the new episode right now and I am cracking the gently caress up at Franky trying to impress Chopper and Usopp. That whole scene is magic.

Oh no no no. Franky didn't try to impress them, Franky impressed them almost to death.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

mushroom_spore posted:

As far as I can tell, it's the art style. People get mad as gently caress when they watch an anime that doesn't have that identical sparkle-eyed CLAMP bishounen look. (I'm not sure why Dragonball gets a pass while One Piece doesn't, since DB/Z/etc's art is worse in every way.)

Pretty much the same thing happened to Lupin III.

This is pretty much it. The character designs really throw people off. You got a guy with a lizard for hair and people just can't accept that. What I've found is if someone sees me watching an episode without action, I get a lot of sneers. But if a roomate or friend has to watch more than one episode with a fight scene they are instantly hooked.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I'm of the opinion now that if you keep the same favorite character week after week then One Piece isn't the right show for you because they are all amazing.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
I like Chopper. His innocence amuses me and I still laugh at the gimmick where he starts swearing when people compliment him. Plus Tony Tony Chopper is the best name. Can't say I dig his new hat though.

I think Robin is my least favorite. She's not really funny and I don't remember her fighting anyone important or doing it in a particularly interesting way. And it bugs me that I don't know if her revolutionary jaunt trained in her in any way.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Shadow0 posted:

How could you not like Robin?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8lOkfeTo5CA

It was wrong of me to forget that she was responsible for one of the funniest moments of the entire series. I'm sorry for any pain I've caused you or your family.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

D1Sergo posted:

I keep thinking it should be impossible with One Piece's iconic ridiculous faces, but I'll be damned if I didn't lose it when the whole loving family is forcing themselves to smile while standing over their dying mother. poo poo was heart-breaking.

I must be racist since I found it terrifying when those fish monsters were doing that.

And Hordy must have shot the queen. It seems like the obvious move to me.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Gyges posted:

I still don't know which is funnier, Franky's antics or Nami and Robin's complete disdain for them. Also Chopper makes the cutest roar mankind has ever heard.

Everything in the episode was cute. I can't imagine anything will top a small reindeer commanding a brachiosaurus-shaped tank that squeaks when you fire it, but the new horn point comes close. I was worried that the new Franky may disappoint until I saw him combine to create an iron pirate complete with awesome Franky hair and speedos. Great episode.

CubanMissile fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jul 29, 2012

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
No new episode this week?

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Did...did Linlin do what I think she did? :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men

Shadow0 posted:

Yeah, the thing I was reading also said it was just speculation. I'm not sure if there's more evidence to come or not in the anime though. Not sure if the manga differs at all here.

Counter-point: literally no one in One Piece has ever had an upbringing. Being a parent is pretty much a death sentence unless you're Yassop.

I feel like Linlin actually had the best upbringing out of anyone so far, and see how well that turned out.

The future King of Pirates was abandoned by his father, raised by mountain bandits, and thrown into bottomless pits and to animals whenever his grandfather visited. He turned out pretty well anyway.

Brook might have had parents though; it's possible.

I don't imagine that people with good families choose to be pirates.