Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Parrotine posted:

Why does Haki turn your body black?

I'm looking at the Vergo armament fight where his whole body is clouded in Haki

Haki turns your into a dangerous black man or something
It's just a visual representation so you know that the person is using haki, and where. Back before the timeskip, when it was still a mystery, things just randomly hurt people where it shouldn't for no apparent reason except that the attacker looked more smug than usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Suspicious Lump posted:

Anyone else getting bored with One Piece? Not sure if it's this arc or the pace of things. I only watch the anime but I'm just not as excited as I once was for it.
Switch to the manga. Seriously. Almost every chapter is baller since fishman island and the whole thing is just nuts.

Edit to clarify: While most of the story and scenes are of course the same and the problems that come with that, (e.g. robin is still just kind of there) the whole thing just has an energy that gets completely lost in translation to the anime. The jokes are short, quick and hilarious compared to drawn-out and repetitive. Action scenes (like RUNNING FROM THE FOG OH NO) are much better paced and much more intense. There's overall less of the chauvinistic problems, like for example in the anime fishman island, they ran the 'sanji got a blood transfusion from transvestites' joke into the ground whereas in the manga I think it might have been half a panel, at most one panel.

Go read the Marineford war in the manga and you'll get it. Another prime example is Thriller Bark - in the manga it's got a really cool horror atmosphere to it, while in the anime its just this kind of stupid and drawn-out arc with characters running around in an out of little fights - the difference is huge even though most of the scenes are the same.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 26, 2013

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Renoistic posted:

I've just gotten to the undersea prison (WTF is up with that forest on Level 1?) and the pacing of the show has been pretty good ever since Thriller Bark IMHO. Is that about to change? The pace usually goes to poo poo when there's a major fight.
I know you're tired of hearing this but you've just crossed the line where the anime starts to reeeeeeeeeally drop the ball. Be prepared for awesome scenes made completely uninteresting, eeeeeeeeendless padding, seeing the same drat clip over and over and over, shittily animated fights punctuated by 5 seconds of LETS BLOW ALL OUR BUDGET ON THIS CLIP RIGHT HERE, and worst of all, the best arc to grace any shonen manga in history (the arc after this prison, the arc which hugely boosted OP popularity on this forum) turned into A God drat Joke. This is the point where everyone I know decided to drop the anime.

If you don't want to go on a boring adventure, switch to the manga.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Renoistic posted:

Are there any scenes the anime did justice?
No.

They even managed to flub (only watch this spoiler after you've reached the end of this arc, when the war is over) Ace's death by making Luffy scream in grief like a stuck pig for upwards of 2 full minutes before collapsing. ...which is the exact opposite of the manga where it's more like his brain snaps and he just passes out, which was way better and had more impact.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Crazyeyes posted:

The Sabo re-emergence to the story is gonna be like Obito's re-entry in Naruto. . Calling it now.
The end of One Piece is going to be DragonGarp D. Sabo planning to wrap the earth in a bubble of his Conqueror's Haki, the "Will of D", to hypnotize everyone into an alternate reality. Luffy will defeat him together with Ace resurrected from the Fire Fire fruit, along with all the world's previous fruit users resurrected from their fruits. Blackbeard does a 180 personality switch and helps out momentarily. Nami has her one moment of glory which amounts to hitting a few mooks with lightning or something. At the end, Frankie summons the 'Yang' version of the Going Sunny, the Going Darky, to combine into the most glorious mecha ever seen. The mecha does not complete one of its right arms because that would be too embarrasing. Garp has a one on one with Shanks just because he can and it's fun. Also Gol D. Roger invented everyone's moves.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 28, 2013

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Crazyeyes posted:

And this right here is why he will be the greatest villain of the series. He will force luffy to decide between his dreams and his friends when Sabo stands opposing him on Raftel. He will be the Obito character who seeks to destroy the dreams of the world because he had suffered horrifically at the hands of his own dream and is now mentally deranged.

He'll also have the most sick-nasty top hat this side of the Grand Line.
W-whoa this would actually be sicknasty.

I mean i'm 100% certain Sabo is coming back, but I always thought of it as him being a good guy. But if he actually came to hate the world after those events and is now angry and messed up, that would be seriously interesting when him and Luffy meet.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Kild posted:

You mean Blackbeard ate Sabo and merged together.
Obviously when Blackbeard encountered Sabo's almost-dead body he used his nanomachines to implant it into his body so he could use another devil fruit.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Suspicious Lump posted:

Holy gently caress Sanji vs Joker was awesome and you faggots are going on about 12 year old spoilers?
Goku got knocked in the head as a kid, he is actually an alien but forgot that.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Petiso posted:

do they pad every one-panel joke into a several minutes long sequence until you're sick of it?
I hope you like sanji nosebleeding and being afraid of transvestites

They dont just drag the jokes out. They repeat them endlessly. They add new scenes which are essentially the old jokes repeated over again.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Suspicious Lump posted:

Can someone remind me when did Luffy pick a fight with Big Mama? Also I forgot, why did Tra-guy want Joker dead, revenge for Cora or is this still up coming stuff?
Back on fishman island when he declared war with her over the denden-mushi at the end of the arc over some candy factory.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Shadow0 posted:

Despite Blackbeard's claim that his Yami Yami no Mi is the "most evil" of the fruits, I can't imagine it being more evil than the Hobby Hobby fruit. Families are being torn apart, people are cheating on each other, and the toys can't do anything but watch it all happen. Blackbeard doesn't even seem like he can use the typical movement or invulnerability aspects of being a logia. I'm not even sure what the Yami Yami no Mi does that haki doesn't do anyway. They've really made logia types a lot less threatening since haki. I remember Enel was talking to down to Luffy for having a paramecia type, and even at one point saying "Oh, he's just a paramecia type, so I've seen the extent of his ability already." But the paramecia have basically infinite extra and side abilities (like Law's Scalpel or Shambles or any of his many other tricks). And like the Hobby Hobby fruit dominates any person that she touches and turns them forever into her slave - that's crazy powerful.
I really hope they go more into why the Yami Yami no Mi was worth all the trouble Blackbeard went through to get it.
Well Blackbeard is currently the only person in the world holding two devil fruits at the same time.

So i'm just saying I think that there is more to the story that we don't know yet.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Drakkel posted:

At least One Piece attempts to explain some of the technology as being hooked up to den-den mushi or something and at least attempts to make it look like it fits, compare it to Naruto where it looks like ancient Japan until people pull out totally modern laptops and cell phones and junk.
That basically falls under 'lazy writing'. Turns out explaining how people find out things in storytelling in old time settings is tedious and time-consuming. Easier to just give everyone cells and laptops. The same thing goes for travelling from point A to point B. DBZ 'solved' both problems with teleportation and Goku doing mental communication. One Piece is handling it very well - the movement of people and information are central parts of the story. People don't just know things suddenly, and people don't just show up out of nowhere (except for when it's cool enough).

Bisse fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Mar 1, 2015

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

EmmyOk posted:

Yeah I was gonn a say presumably we would just see peoples' reaction to it, which is hilarious imo. Really enjoying that plot point. Really hoping to see Zoro fight with Fujitora, even just a little bit would be cool as heck.
Yeah basically this and yes it is hilarious in the manga. Even the battles between him and others are like

:black101: Fuhahaha, you thought you could-
:byodood: WHAT IS WITH THAT VOICE. THAT LAUGH. ARE YOU EVEN A HUMAN BEING

Bisse fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 23, 2015

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Minor spoiler I guess, but re: Giant headcrackers, in the manga after sugar goes down: They dissolve like the toys did before, each headcracker is made up of like 8 guys.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Not an Owl posted:

Is the current arc better in anime form than Fishman Island and Punk Hazard were?
Search your heart. You know the answer.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Suspicious Lump posted:

Getting really sick of Luffy vs Bellamy. I bet the manga didn't show the same footage over and over again like the anime, which makes it feel as if Luffy has been fighting Bellamy for a long time. Just loving knock him out already.
Yeah that fight totals a few-ish pages and in the manga, but spread out over like 2 or 3 chapters.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Shadow0 posted:

I was unaware of this change. How much was changed?
Juuust the bare minimum to ruin the entire character arc, and nothing more, IIRC.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Shadow0 posted:

Luffy vs Lucci is one of my favorite fights. And I vaguely recall my friend tried showing it to me many many years ago to convince me to watch the show. So it's my first memory of the show.
I feel you bro. My first intro to One Piece was Luffy vs Foxy. That was such a weird fight to get introduced with. There was a slim white boxer with a blacknigga afro like some kind of absurd Ippo, getting punched around by a cackling dastardly villain with timestopping powers, with a collection of really odd characters cheering from the sidelines as if this battle is really important for unknown reasons. Dastardly villain uses series of contrived contraptions (including a stream of bullets that look like his face wtffff) to accomplish a grand load of Nothing until boxing guy stops dastardly villain with a glass shard and swings his arm around like a lasso to deliver the mother of all slo-mo punches winning the battle with villain's face contorting in pain slowly for 10 seconds before getting blasted away.

It was just odd and fun and amazing.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Yeah in the manga King Kong Gun just punches through his spikes and web and takes him out in a split second.

Shadow0 posted:

I also thought it was funny he needed *exactly* 10 minutes, right down to the second.
That was unfortunely also in the manga. Really dumb and Oda should know better than that.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

sharrrk posted:

brook has the best wanted poster

Counterpoint: Duval

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Haha oh man Eneru's face
Welcome to one piece

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Shadow0 posted:

I didn't realize the anime had filler like that. Were other fights changed before as well?
You sir are in for multiple major surprises.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I'd even go as far a to say, beyond the strawhats and beyond eating a DF, noone in this series gets stronger really. Notable exception in Coby and Helmeppo. Other than that, politics change, pirate crews are formed, dudes get taken down, power dynamics of the world change, and new powerful fools show up as we traverse closer to raftel, but noone really gets physically stronger as time goes on. This really helps to sell the OP world as a coherent universe.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Shadow0 posted:

Also, I had been wondering why Big Mom, whose entire empire is built on diplomatic marriages would risk upsetting her ability to do that by killing a groom's family
Being an immortal unreasonable rampaging iron balloon murder machine with no concept of empathy also helps get you what you want.

If I marry my kid away I have a 50% chance of getting murdered, if not I have a 100% chance of getting murdered. Easy choice imho. Welcome to the New World.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Yeah the complaints above are all anime things. The manga does a very good job of defining power levels and presenting Big Mom as near-insurmountable force of nature, and Kaido as a terrifying beast of raw power, while keeping things interesting. The anime just shits all over all of that, by dragging things out, adding nonsensical interactions that don't fit in-universe at all, and loving up most scenes somehow.

Join the light, read the manga.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 26, 2019

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Freakazoid_ posted:

Wow, how long has raftel been a mistranslation? The way they spelled it out on its own screen in big letters almost feels like deliberate shaming/sarcasm aimed at translators.

I'm actually mad at myself because I could tell way back in thriller bark odz sounded more like oars to me. This one went under my nose for 20 years!
I find it endearing to imagine the name misunderstanding is in-universe, that someone misheard it as Raftel and that name spread through newspapers.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Julias posted:

That's mostly the Mangas fault with regards to this arc, though I do think the anime exacerbated it because in the manga it's usually just a panel or two whereas the anime will make it a full 1-3 minute scene.
This, the manga would cut away with one or two panels to ongoing side battles/events just to refresh the reader's memory on current situations. Of course, the anime stretches each panel out past its breaking point.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Can't wait until OP is finally over so Toei can cover Gin's marvellous adventures to become the pirate king.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

It wouldn’t pull anywhere near the numbers cause I don’t trust anyone who’s not oda with this universe.
Boichi did that Ace manga which was pretty on point for the most part, so I would trust a lot of authors to do like, fleshing out of existing characters or events. But entirely new stuff, no way, just look at most of the movies, only Oda has that unique sense of worldbuilding, character and coherency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

You know, i'm not usually a fan of Sabo, but Sabo terrified and on the run from unspeakable horrors bearing world shattering secrets, is loving Good Sabo.