Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Christmas Whale fully subsidized by ThatsMyBoye

spankmeister posted:

Wales: Aber Falls not really, Penderyn okay.
India: Amrut is good, haven't tried John Paul
Mexico: Never tried a Mexican whisky

I've got to second the Penderyn, was recently gifted a bottle and it was fantastic. I'd describe it as similar to a Speyside but more crisp, less sherry inspired? Delicious nonetheless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Pseudohog posted:

Brandy is pretty much its own thing. Being distilled it can hit some of the same notes, but really it's a whole different beastie to whiskey.

This sounds super elitist but I highly recommend using a proper brandy snifter when sampling armagnacs and cognacs. It helps accentuate the sweetness and unique characteristics of brandy. I got so excited I wanted to try using it to see if it'd make my primarily Islay whiskys more intense but it just made everything more bitter, which was an interesting learning point for me. I've stuck to the standard tulip glass since then.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

Oh to be a tacky 26 year old DINK again...

Look, I'm just saying there's nothing stopping you buying those just in time for Lunar New Year 2023
Bonus if you buy some firecrackers, lol

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Whenever I open a new bottle, I always force myself to wait a few minutes after I make the first pour before I sip. Doesn't seem as necessary on subsequent pours, but just letting some of those volatile flavors come off it seems to help me better appreciate a new bottle than I if I pour and sip immediately.

Maybe it's time for us to start Hyper-Decanting our whiskeys a la The Menu

Can somebody suggest me a bourbon that tastes like a scotch. I want spice, I want weird flavors, I want smoke I want funk. I found a bottle of Rare Beast Rye and was very happy but not entirely sure I'm a big bourbon guy versus say paying too much money for Octomore variants.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

sean10mm posted:

New Riff Backsetter?

spankmeister posted:

Not a bourbon but I would recommend Balcones Single Malt. If you like Octomore their Brimstone might be right up your alley too.

Most excellent recommendations, these were definitely not on my radar and after reading some reviews, these flavor notes sound tasty. I'd like to pick up some bottles to try

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

GD_American posted:

At this point I'd be happy with Blanton's airline bottles because they make uh-mazing stocking stuffers

i would too because every place near me wants $100+ for blantons
i would drink the airline bottle

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

Are there any online retailers that are recommended? Local shops are okay but the general consensus is buy lots of bottle and then they’ll let you know when new bottles drop, but between a 1 year old and a stressful job, is there somewhere online that I can click and deliver without too much overage? I live in CA.

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

stratego posted:

It's a release that r/bourbon's t8ke worked on with Barrell Craft Spirits.

https://sharedpour.com/products/barrell-t8ke-grey-label-infinite

Out of curiosity the other stuff on that site seems awesome (aficionado group) mezcal bottles, are those worthwhile?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adnam
Aug 28, 2006

stratego posted:

T8ke (Jay, from whisky raiders), also runs the aficionados group for tequila/mezcal releases. Bring from Wisconsin his first love is brandy, but he also loves agave spirits. He partners with shared pour to sell/distribute stuff. You should check out his YouTube channel.
And check out the aficionados group site - he will alert you about upcoming releases, if you're inclined.
Aficionados group website

He's a tremendous guy, responds to emails creepily fast.
I haven't tried many of those releases, but I trust his pallet and tasting notes.

Thank you! I’ve only got lovely chain stores with terrible prices and selection so I’m thinking about buying more online so this helps a lot.