Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

spankmeister posted:

In Scotland the independent bottlers usually want to feature the distillery the whisky is from, because it carries the weight of the brand behind it. Usually this is possible, sometimes they're not allowed to disclose it and they use veiled terms to hint at the origin.

From memory the Scottish distilleries who do this are Talisker, Glenfarclas & Glenmorangie.

The first two refuse to let their name be used on any IB's. So an example for Talisker, I picked up a 23 y/o rum finished one at the Whisky Fair in Limburg. It is called 'Talimburg'. Another tell used to be 'from the Isle of Skye' as until very recently Talisker was the only distillery there. Glenfarclas is similar except there will be something on the IB along the lines of 'Speyside's oldest family owned distillery' or similar which is the tell.

Glenmorangie are different in that not only do they not allow the use of the name on any IB's but they claim any casks they sell externally are 'teaspooned' with a drop of a different Single Malt so that it can no longer be even called a Single Malt. This actually doesn't happen, but the claim that it does is enough to stop anyone selling the whisky as an IB Glenmorangie, you'll get the whole made up name schtick. I believe the only 'legit' Glenmorangie bottlings outside of the OBs are the ones from the SMWS via their numbering scheme, and as the SMWS is owned by LVMH (the parent company of Glenmorangie) I'm not really sure if they actually count as IBs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Not since 2016, I believe.

Highland Park is another distillery that IBs are not allowed to name (on the rare occasions they're even allowed to buy casks). It's always "from the Orkney islands" or something similar.

Teaspooning is fun. Apparently even the promise of a single teaspoon of other spirit added will make something not a single malt.

But how much bourbon/sherry/cognac/wine/etc. is left in a cask when a distillery gets it? Wet casks are normal, and some are very wet. As in literally sloshing.

I didn't know or forgot about SMWS changing hands, thanks. I wonder if they've had and Glenmorangie releases since the change of ownership.

I've seen Signatory bottlings of HP and I had one but sold it, not sure about other bottlers. Mind you, I think Signatory is owned by Edrington who own HP so again, it's potentially a bit kinda Independent Bottling.

I spoke to an independent bottler a few years ago about the whole 'Teaspooning' thing and he confirmed to me that it's all bollocks. With 'wet' casks that may be the case for sherry casks but most bourbon casks are broken down into staves for transport across the Atlantic before being reformed locally.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Can you expand on this? I've seen reputable stores selling "unnamed Speyside" with the teaspoon story (e.g., "this is a 23 year-old Glenfiddich barrel finished in a sherry cask for two years with a teaspoon of another malt") and I don't know what to believe at this point.

The guy concerned told me that it was a logistical nightmare for anybody to actually do this, so they don't but claim they do. Any 3rd party who claimed otherwise on the bottle or packaging would not get any future whiskies, so it is in the interest of the IBs to keep the fiction going.

I daresay in a miniscule amount of cases this teaspooning was actually done.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Paul Proteus posted:

Speaking of fancy scotch, anyone have any experience with Glenfarclas 25? It's near me for $160.

I've had the 23 and enjoyed it, as I'm a fan of sherried speysides, but can't say I love super woody flavors (like old bourbon can get). Not sure if these are relevant here, or if it's even that different from the 23.

I did a tasting of a lot of Glenfarclas some years back and remember being pretty disappointed with the 25. I much preferred the 21 y/o and the 30 y/o that I tried. The 25 y/o was pretty flat & overly woody and completely fell apart with the addition of a little bit of water, although I guess it's possible I had the dregs out of an old bottle that had sat opened for some time.

EDIT : $160 seems like a decent price for this despite what I said above.

biglads fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 27, 2020

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Tucking into this for my birthday.

Cheers Goons!

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Quick report on the Glendronach

Chocolate and old leather on the nose. Drinking it, it's actually very candy sweet for maybe half a second before you start to taste the wood. The woody flavour feels like it comes from varnished oak walls in a 200 year old Gentlemens club in the tropics but stopping the wood taking over the flavour is a lovely mix of dark chocolate and cooked dark fruits (maybe raisins) that just sits in the sides of your mouth for ever. The finish is looooong and sees the drying astringency from the wood fade as the sweetness slowly overpowers it after a couple of minutes. Quite heavy mouthfeel, nothing has been filtered out and it's perfectly drinkable out of the bottle at 53.6% abv. Will try it with a drop of water later too but there's no burn from the alcohol content here.

EDIT : Can taste cherries when you add water.

biglads fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 29, 2020

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

Just a scotch group I’m in. Someone noticed the bottle and asked them and just got this is return.

I'm glad I've got a nice stock of the old stuff. As well as moving away from NCF the prices have shot up too since Brown Forman took over. There used to be some absolute bargains in the single cask range. Now, not so much.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I've got some older ones where it has the years on the box.

i.e. the Talisker DE I just grabbed is Distilled 1993, Bottled 2007 on the box and label. Pretty sure i have a Lagavulin DE of a similar vintage which is the same.

EDIT: The Talisker DE still had the price tag on it, £37.35 :thunk:

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Moving house in a couple of months and am having to provide an inventory of the bulk of my collection for the purposes of storage & insurance. Think it's gonna be up near 400 bottles so looks like I have some sort of a (nice) problem.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Casu Marzu posted:

:eyepop: And I was getting sideye looks from my girlfriend for having uh, 11 or 12 bottles right now

My wife is worse than me now, a lot of the more valuable stuff I had (e.g. Macallan, Karuizawa) I sold 3 or 4 years ago whereas she's managed to keep a hold of a lot of stuff. So when I say I have 400 bottles, it's more like WE have 400 bottles, and of those 400, about 15 would make up half of the value. I think there's about 25 bottles open as well. Gonna have to get through them so we don't have to move them too.

Finding a few that I'd forgotten about. An IB Brackla cask strength that neither of us could remember a thing about, there's also more Glenlivet, Dailuaine & Bruichladdich than I thought.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

With Macallan 18 - it's underwhelming whisky but if you are prepared to play the long game, not open it and stick it away somewhere for a decade it'll be worth stupid money (something like 10 times what you paid for it) in 2031 if there's anyone left to drink it.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

obi_ant posted:

You're telling me there is a market for vintage Macallan 18?

Yes. Vintage Macallan can make a packet.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Deceptive Thinker posted:

This is true of most dusty whisky - isn't limited to just macallan
Old bruichladdichs and ardbegs are especially sought after. And any bourbon that has the possibility of being a pre-fire heaven hill or stizel-weller distillate

I keep an eye on most of the Auction sites in the UK and I'd say the majority of stuff going for high prices in the last couple of years has been Macallan and Karuizawa. The occasional older Bowmore crops up but not that many 'laddies or Ardbegs. The Ardbegs that go for serious money tend to be really old vintages or single cask releases.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Wacky Delly posted:

Someone mentioned some scotches for bourbon drinkers earlier in the thread and I can't find what was recommended.

So what scotches should I look at as a bourbon drinker? I like the spicier/high rye bourbon more than wheated, but don't have a very broad palate/experience.

Probably start with lighter speysiders like Glenlivet or Glenfiddich. Or you could just say gently caress it and get a bottle of Laphroaig 10.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

For those of you that like Laphroaig/Ardbeg/Lagavulin, if you get the chance, spring for a Longrow if you can find it.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I visited Macallan last week. In their bar they were selling drams of the 1927 distilled release.

£8,750 from memory.

gently caress that.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Is their new distillery open yet? That looked really nice.

The one built into the hillside? Yeah, that's been running for a while now.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Compass Box has a new addition to their core range:

I haven't seen many reviews of this yet, which I usually check before buying something, but I've never had a bad bottle of Compass Box, so I felt comfortable to buy it sight unseen. It also helped that the price was right, about €40.

Has anyone tried it already?

I believe this is their first product that is made mostly from spirit that they aged themselves. Which is a brilliant move IMO because sourcing casks of whisky these days is incredibly expensive. Compass Box (and a few other independents) have had the foresight to start buying fresh distillate from the distilleries and aging them in their own casks.

This is the makeup:

39% Linkwood, 29% Clynelish, 20% Benrinnes, all first-fill bourbon barrel aged, 8% from an "undisclosed distillery near the village of Aberlour"*, 2% Caol Ila from first-fill bourbon barrels and 2% of their requisite Highland Malt Blend that they put in everything.

Most of it is 8YO, but the "near Aberlour" is 6yo and the highland blend is 10yo.

This is right up my alley. I love Linkwood, I love Clynelish even more and the rest isn't half bad either. Having them be bourbon matured and a bit younger is the right move too IMO, to bring out the fruitiness of the spirit.

*Distilleries near Aberlour: Aberlour, Craigellachie, Macallan, GlenAllachie. Could be any of these imo.

P.S: if it sounds like I'm a fanboy, well it's because I am lol.

Reckon the 'near Aberlour' malt might be Glenfarclas.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Hmm might be, hadn't considered it. Is that just a guess or an informed one?

In the meantime I tried the whisky and it does what it says on the tin. It's like an apple orchard in a bottle. Very fruity and floral. Sweet and a bit spicy on the palate. Some light vanilla. Unashamedly spirit-driven. Has a touch of that clynelish waxiness.
A liiiitle bit rough around the edges, so it might not please everyone, but I quite like it.

Will be interesting to see how this one develops. If they'll change te recipe as the spirit they laid down ages. I personally think it could do with 2 more years in the cask.

Any of the others near Aberlour wouldn't bother hiding it, other than Macallan and good luck to Compass Box in getting that at a sensible price. Glenfarclas always insists that their name not get used in IBs, for instance I have an OMC 1966 Glenfarclas that is labelled as from "Speyside's oldest family owned and run distillery" or similar. It's only a couple of miles down the road from Aberlour too.

It sounds really nice though and I'll keep a look out for it.

biglads fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Sep 29, 2021

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

I wish I had never opened my yamazaki Sherry cask

I especially wish my wife hadn’t used it in a chilli when she was out of sherry

I'm twitching over here

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

DerekSmartymans posted:

You put it better than me…I’m not rich or a whiskey snob, but I have been drinking bourbon since I was 14 and got into Scotches >JW Black because I received a good Glenfiddich bottle when I got married three months before my 21st birthday. So I have 30+ years of whiskeys in my head and enough experience being surprised based on cost alone that I keep an open mind (same with cigars and pipe tobacco).

I had just, living through the whisk(e)y boom, never seen a single malt advertise as being “good for mixing.” I don’t care if you pour Dr. Pepper in your Laphroig QC, if it was what you like to drink. But I might try asking if you’d ever tried it with ice & soda water, or a single ice cube, or even straight with a drop of water. This mainly happens with younger (legal-aged) whiskey n00bs, and I’m flat out refusing a spiced Rum while I’ll drink “normal” rum with Coke and love it. I would be really surprised to get a new bottle of WT101 and not just drink two fingers. Seems to my brain producing a single-malt that could not stand on its own merits from the bottle means “back to the master, maybe a blender” and I see putting it out at single-malt’s premium and price is deceptive and low-class unless it was a brand new underaged bottle produced in a novel way OR the place hasn’t been in business long enough to have a correctly-aged whiskey cycle.

I’d probably ask that new factory for some white lightnin’ instead, though!

Glenmo are one of those distilleries who have quite a snobbish attitude towards whisky as well. Being owned by LVMH doesn't do them any favours, they are a posh brand name and nothing else to the purse string holders. Perhaps it's their even more overpriced 'response' to Diageo's already overpriced Haig Clubman (whisky doing it's level best to masquerade as vodka).

Pre-Covid I was at a bar in Scotland often frequented by whisky industry types. There was a young-ish (mid to late 20's?) guy there who worked for Diageo who wouldn't stop banging on about mixing Dufftown with Appletize. I think these 'mixing' whiskies are just an attempt to get younger drinkers into whisky drinking.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Bape Culture posted:

How do people feel about macallan 12 double cask?
I saw it at Costco and got excited and bought 5 bottles.
Quite excited to try it once I get rid of this cold.

Open one bottle, stick the rest in the back of the cupboard for a few years.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Red Breast 12 Cask Strength is in my top 5 of whiskies I've tasted. Just delightful.

Yeah I think it's great too. I've found Irish whiskies to be underwhelming overall but that one is an incredible dram.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Or just see how he gets on with a Laphroaig.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Dalmore sucks, I don't get why so many people like it tbqh.

Agreed. It's just not that great, I suppose it was the one in the portfolio the owners thought they could turn into a 'premium' brand. Richard Paterson sure likes shilling it.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I think Fortnum & Mason were doing some reasonably priced English Whiskies recently. Might be worth a visit if you are going to be in London.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Dr. Lunchables posted:

Johnny Walker is the only one I know about that makes a specific label that’s only purchasable in duty free shops. You’d probably have a better selection at home or at your destination.

There's a fair few scotch distilleries that have Duty Free only offerings, from memory Bunnahabhain, Bowmore & Balvenie all do them although it's been a while since I've been through an airport. As spankmeister says, they aren't all that.

The best Duty Free bottling I remember getting in the last 10 years was a Highland Park 16. It was the best only because I sold it for about 3x the price a couple of years later once the bottling style had changed and they moved towards more NAS stuff.

EDIT : Actually had a pretty good Oloroso cask Bushmills duty free special. It wasn't amazing but above expectations.

biglads fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Jun 26, 2022

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Some suggestions if you like Ardbeg and Laphroaig, not in any particular order:

Laphroaig Quarter Cask
Laphroaig Lore
Port Charlotte PC10
Ledaig 10
Ardbeg Uigeadail

Add in Caol Ila 12 and any Longrow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

adnam posted:

I've got to second the Penderyn, was recently gifted a bottle and it was fantastic. I'd describe it as similar to a Speyside but more crisp, less sherry inspired? Delicious nonetheless

Quite a lot of Penderyn is matured in Madeira casks