Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

mango sentinel posted:

So I've had a longstanding desire to drink a scotch older than myself. Obviously this gets to be more difficult as time goes on. I turn 29 this year so I'm looking at 30r stuff but its scary to make that kind of investment blind so I'm tying to learn what's worthwhile since I'm very wary of snakeoil in liquor sales. I don't want to spend more than $300 if I can help it. Can I even play at that price range and get something worth the money? I'm in the US, in Atlanta if that helps pricing/availability.
If I could pick one that is generally available it would be Ardmore 30yr. Age is used to temper a scotch whisky, and in a plain old Speysider there's really not much to tame at all. That's where Ardmore's rich Speyside flavor plus peatiness comes in.

Also call around and look for Port Ellen 8th release. It's 29 years-old and at least here it's still sold for a clip under $400. More than you want to spend, but it'll make for some very jealous folk in here.

Other options: Talisker 30yr, Glenfiddich 30yr, various independently bottled Caol Ilas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Lear posted:

I've only seen but a few people recommend this scotch, but allow me to recommend it again - Cragganmore. It's a nice Speyside scotch that is absolutely fantastic. To qualify what my own tastes are, I am not very partial to the peaty scotches, therefore largely stay away from Islay/Highland scotches with a few exceptions, namely Highland Park.

So my vote is Cragganmore. It is light and perfect in my opinion.
People tend to second guess their own suggestions when it comes to all but a few Diageo malts. They're seen as a huge faceless conglomerate which is 'very bad' and not crafty. They also admit straight-up their ownership of single malt distilleries is a means to an end, and that end is maintaining the Johnnie Walker range. You almost never see Singleton (of any kind), Glenkinchie, Cardhu, Royal Lochnagar, etc. mentioned at all even though they're all perfectly drinkable.

Cragganmore is actually on the more popular side and it does get an occasional mention.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 26, 2012

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I have to stuff my bottles in three different cabinets/closets at this point, so you've still got a ways to go. :p

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Octomore 4.2 is very, very good. The peat isn't overbearing but it does something no other whisky does...the peat just builds like a lump at the bottom of your palate and then fills out the rest of your mouth. That wave of peat is *awesome* even when the whisky itself is quite a simple mix of sweet barley malt and smoke. The finish is longer, steadier than any other whisky I've tried.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
pork never goes bad explained it much better than I could....

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 19, 2012

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I couldn't contain myself when tasting it Booker's at WoW Expo this past March. If there ever was a brown spirit that benefits from ice, Booker's might be the one. Baker's is the one out of the Beam Small Batch selection that I would gravitate toward.

It's been almost a decade since I bought a bottle of Redbreast 12, but I did like it at first. Eventually though I poured myself the remnants of the bottle after a couple a years and I guess the air in the bottle made the whisky taste very watery.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 10:55 on May 19, 2012

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

smn posted:

This made me realize that I have had at least one corked whisky, a Longrow 14 that shared the very same weird characteristics than what was extra in that corked wine. In this case the whisky definitely wasn't flat, more like extra flavour. It had this potato peels + basement vibe on top of the more typical Longrow taste.
I always wondered if the damp/meaty quality in Springbank whiskies was a result of all the mold growing in their warehouses, but Hazelburn has none that I can discern, so I don't know...

I mean look at how much of the stuff is on the floor and walls in close proximity to the barrels...

Image from The K&L Spirits Journal.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Base Emitter posted:

It doesn't say anything about any influence the mold has on spirits, but apparently the mold flourishes on the angel's share of alcohol evaporated from casks.
Yep molds love alcohol, but generally wouldn't survive in any type of distilled drink, even fortified wine. 40% ABV is toxic to us, let alone yeasts and molds. Heh.

Not all distillery storehouses are as extreme as Springbank's. Most are quite clean and stored in modern climate controlled facilities.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

duckstab posted:

There are far more factors that contribute to taste than a bit of mould growing in a warehouse - it's not in contact with the whisky and it doesn't grow on or in the barrels to any significant extent so it's unlikely to have very little effect at all.

I can't think of any warehouses in Scotland that are climate controlled, poor yanks must have huge power bills.
It's said that unique strains of yeasts in the air of bakeries give bread additional flavor. Mold spreads via airborne spores, so it's a question of whether the mold can grow into/penetrate between the wood stakes of the cask.

As for climate-control...I know independent Chieftain's has a rack-style warehouse with modern amenities. I suspect Diageo's central storehouse is modern as well. In the states, Buffalo Trace's warehouses have been using some form of climate control since the late 1800s. California wineries use climate control as well as a misters to keep the barrels from drying out, others use caves where the natural insulation does a decent job...

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Price depends at least a little on location. Here in Washington we already had high prices thanks to the state monopoly, but now with privatization there's going to be a 27% tax so it could actually end up being more expensive than it was before. Everyone was excited about privatization leading to lower prices during the campaign too. I did get a peek at the scotch/whiskey/bourbon shelf in a Safeway and it looks like there will be a good selection to choose from. We'll find out how much it all costs on Friday.

I'm trying to get more coverage on this flavor map:

http://i.imgur.com/MewLB.png

I've got Glenlivet 12 and Highland Park 12. Where would Redbreast 12 fit on the chart, bottom right corner? I was planning to try Laphroaig 10 next unless there are some other suggestions. I like everything I've got so far but I'm just at the point of trying to appreciate their differences.
The Safeways here only have Speyburn 10, Glenlivet 12, Glenfiddich 12, a young Macallan (don't recall if it was Fine Oak), maybe Speyside and Pebble Beach or something like that. Not exactly a great selection. They do have Johnnie Walker Green Label as well.

Redbreast isn't a Scotch whisky, but it would be at the very bottom of that chart and either in the middle or slightly left of middle in my opinion. So -2 to 0 on the x-axis and -4 to -5 on the y-axis.

Everything on that chart/map is drinkable, but don't let it govern your next purchase. Also don't buy a single malt from Safeway if you can help it. In my opinion you should try something properly peaty. Highland Park has some, but it's also quite a different style of peat than on Islay or even on the mainland. Go get a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask, Ardmore Traditional Cask or Ardbeg 10.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Paramemetic posted:

By way of easing into peat, Oban Distiller's Edition is fairly good that way as well. I love drinking campfires, but that bottling from Oban does a good job as well. It's good.
Oban is decidedly less peaty than any Highland Park...it's really a very neutral Scotch when measured against the entire spectrum. I also agree that Speyburn is quite okay for its $20ish price range, but it is what it is.

I am a big fan of PX finishes, but Lagavulin doesn't do it for me. A good DE like Caol Ila DE or Talisker DE should effectively hide the fact that it comes from barrels that weren't good enough for their core product. Lagavulin DE, at least the batch I have tastes like a flawed whisky. Honestly, my favorite Lagavulin is the standard 16yr..it's already rich enough on its own. As well the 12yr cask strength has less nuance and tastes more like Ardbeg 10 than anything.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Lagavulin is really the only characterfully rich peated single malt on Islay. That upper right corner is properly uncluttered...the only other notable contenders in that space I think are Ardmore 25/30yr and Laphroaig 25yr.

Edit: I suppose Springbank/Longrow could be placed in the vicinity as well, but it's quite a 'unique' smokiness they exhibit.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 31, 2012

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
My experience with whiskies older than 18-21 years is generally limited to tastings and expos. And even then Edrington Group brands seem to have a low profile at most US events. I've never seen a proper Glenrothes, Macallan or Highland Park table at Whiskies of the World Expo for example. I do know that I am not particularly fond of Highland Park's take on smoke...I imagine a mound of ash in a fireplace tasting similar.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Finlaggan and Ileach aren't a house brand. Basically what happens is distilleries like Laphroaig and Caol Ila realize a young cask isn't developing how they want OR they've overestimated future demand, so they sell them off to independent bottlers. Like Biglads mentioned, a bottle from one year might have malt from a different distillery than a bottle from the next...

Ardbeg does find itself in one of these 'secret' malts too...at least we think so. It's widely accepted that it's the distillate in Smokehead.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I almost want to go to BevMo or Trader Joe's to pick up a bottle just to see if I can recognize the distillate.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Cpt.Wacky posted:

Costco does have better prices but they also have the worst selection. Glenlivet 12 at $38 from them is about the same as before when it was $40 from the state.
I'd expect the prices to trickle down steadily. The best you could hope for is two boutiques to open up in your area and engage in a price war.

I know my friend in WA would usually just go to the Duty Free shop at the border crossing...

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 4, 2012

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Tigren posted:

Notice how it's only really being posted on gear/cool stuff websites? Ya, it's not really being marketed at whiskey drinkers. Eight years old, below 50%, AND they gyp you out of 50ml. That cool bottle is only 700ml.
700mL would make sense since it's being sold in a German Duty Free shop. In fact it's one reason why smaller spirits brands in the EU/UK don't make it over here, it's too much of a hassle to create separate 750mL bottlings for one market.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

AWWNAW posted:

Recommend me a scotch for someone who likes Laphroaig, I want to start tasting some strange.
Benriach Curiositas.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

kidsafe posted:

With regard to Pappy, it's a unique situation right now. We are very near the last bottlings of Stitzel-Weller 20yr. The 15yr is now from spirit distilled at Buffalo Trace. Both expressions are equally scarce.
Looks like this has happened. All Pappy including 23yr will be vatted from an increasing amount of Buffalo Trace as the last S-W juice runs out.

http://www.whiskyadvocateblog.com/2012/06/11/what%E2%80%99s-in-that-bottle-of-van-winkle-anyway/

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Octomore 4.2 Comus has the most amazing mouthfeel of any whisky I've ever tried.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
http://spiritsjournal.klwines.com/klwinescom-spirits-blog/2012/6/22/rocket.html

Okay Ardbeg, the promos are getting a little ridiculous... Seen at the shop while contemplating overpriced spirits.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 23, 2012

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
My description of Glendronach: Like Macallan, except better.

Aberlour A'Bunadh is a bit too hot in general for me. I prefer the 18yr. I prefer Glendronach 15yr Revival to either of those.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

tim0mit posted:

I was gifted a bottle of ardbeg 10 and I really can't seem to get past the flavor of burnt bandages, is this common of islay whiskies?
Yes, and you are less of a man for it.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Mikey Purp posted:

Just wanted to stop in to report that last night at the bar I saw someone order six shots of Glenfiddich 12 year for him and his friends. :wtc:
To be fair, Glenfiddich 12 is a $25 bottle here...it was probably the cheapest Scotch of any sort there besides Johnnie Walker Red Label, and a real friend wouldn't order a shot of that for you.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Mikey Purp posted:

Yea, mostly I was just confused as to why anyone would shoot scotch. Ever.
I honestly don't think it matters...ritual, rite of passage or just a social communion...it's a bunch of friends having fun. If it were Glenfiddich 15 maybe I'd roll my eyes, but Glenfiddich 12 is literally the ground level Scotch whisky from a recognizable name in the US that doesn't taste like turpentine.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jul 2, 2012

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I wouldn't even say Blue Label's flavor disappears. It honestly tastes dilute from the very beginning, like there's a layer of water between the whisky and my tastebuds. What wood flavor does come through is faintly mildewy or soapy... I try it every time I go to a whisky expo or tasting, it's just not very good.

I have no issues with Black Label or Gold Label, and am a little sad that Green Label will eventually become restricted to Taiwan and maybe Duty Free. I guess they want to fill that pricepoint with the reformulated NAS Gold Label and try something 'new' with Platinum? Who knows?..

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Basically Green enjoyed a little bit of popularity early on, but has seen rapid declines in sales in the past 3 years. Taiwan loves blended malts, so it will continue to be made in small volume for that market.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I really think Laphroaig Quarter Cask is your best bet when something like Lagavulin 16yr seems to be CA$110 thanks to the LCBO...

Other peated options around your price range or cheaper:
Jura Superstition
Bowmore 12yr
Talisker 10yr

None of the above are quite as peaty as Laphroaig, and Talisker has quite a distinctive taste of its own.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Jul 11, 2012

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

mod sassinator posted:

Go to a bar and try a Pappy Van Winkle bourbon, like the 20 year version. It will be an expensive drink but worth it to try a drat fine bourbon. Take it neat, without ice.
Also try it before the next seasonal release so you can make sure you're tasting the original Stitzel-Weller formula.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
I think in general the Whyte & Mackay owned distilleries have an image problem despite the presence of Paterson as a PR powerhouse. Dalmore and especially Fettercairn aren't nearly as popular as they could be. Whisky hobbyists in particular disapprove of all these whiskies being bottled at 40% with caramel added.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Young Bruichladdich tastes like Aloe Vera lotion smells. It's very oily and does have a slight whiff of acetone/nail polish remover. I'd stick to the Port Charlottes and if you want to play around, find someone to pour you the latest Octomore.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Jahoodie posted:

Who makes Redemption? The internet says most likely the Bulliet people in Lawrenceburg, Kentucky. Which is wierd, because I found Bulliet's Rye to be unpleasantly dry and spicy.
Most of the 95% rye stuff like Bulleit, Redemption, Templeton, etc. are distilled at LDI in Lawrenceburg, Indiana. Are they all the same exact recipe? I believe so. The differences you perceive are for the most part based on the age of the whiskey.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Capt_Jaegerbomb posted:

If you live in the US and are looking for some decent single malts, but your local liquor store doesn't have much in the way of stock, I'd recommend a trip to https://www.royalmilewhiskies.com

I'm a Brit serving with the USAF over in Colorado and I've had difficulty trying to get hold of a few decent bottles that didn't cost a home owners loan to purchase.
So I tend to save up and buy 6 or 7 bottles at a time and they last me for a good while. It also saves on import taxes.
I can't see how shipping something from a UK based whisky shop would be cheaper than an established US specialty shop. Colorado is fairly relaxed on alcohol shipping laws in particular so you have pretty much access to any online shop.

My goto local/online shop is K&L Wines, but you can also try Binny's and others.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

spankmeister posted:

I used http://www.masterofmalt.com/ to get the Yamazaki Sherry Cask, they have some other interesting stuff as well.
I had generous pour of Yamazaki 18yr at a restaurant tonight...twas my first full dram to take in vs. a tiny 1/4 pour at a tasting. In a nutshell it's almost more Speyside than Speyside malts. Very balanced sherry profile, and some of the best wood influence I've ever tasted. People can knock it for being uncharacteristic, but it's a very refined whisky.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Jul 16, 2012

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

zonacat posted:

Should I stick with something middle tier like Maker's? Or should I just be grabbing 1.75s of Evan Williams off the bottom shelf for 18 bucks? In bars should I just be ordering well poo poo for maximum value to taste?
If you're going to use a wheater like Maker's you may as well go with W.L. Weller's Special Reserve. Should be somewhere between $15-20.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

NightConqueror posted:

What the gently caress? Your Costco stocks Lagavulin 16? For how much?

All we get out here is their Kirkland Brand 100 proof bourbon and a smattering of cheap scotches.
Around here they have have a good number of Diageo single malts like Lagavulin 16, Oban 14, as well as a pretty good selection of others. Not a bad place to go if that's what you want and needed 30 rolls of toilet paper.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Glendronach. Whichever of the core range fits your bill.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

smn posted:

Yamazaki 18 is brilliant, although I reckon it is slightly more about oak than sherry. What happened to them anyway, they used to be a steal for <£70 a year ago and now they are way past £100 everywhere?
I've never found Yamazaki 18yr to be oaky. There are only traces of wood spice and none of the earthiness. Since some of these 'big' flavors are missing, the sherried aspects comes to the fore. Basically you get big toffee, big dark fruits without it bopping you on the head like, for example, A'bunadh would.

TobinHatesYou fucked around with this message at 13:23 on Aug 10, 2012

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
The standard Buffalo Trace is quite good, and well worth ~$19/750mL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Inexpensive: Famous Grouse
More expensive: Compass Box Great King Street
Somewhat peaty, always available: Johnnie Walker Black Label