Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

spankmeister posted:

Use it for BBQ sauce and stuff.

Now is a perfect time for a nice, warm Bourbon Apple Toddy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Casu Marzu posted:

:psyduck: is plain ole buffalo trace suddenly in super high demand? A couple groups I'm in have a flurry of posts about it being in stock w/ a few bottles left at various liquor stores.

Demand might not be super high relatively but it does seem to have outraced supply in the last year or so. Was this just regular bottles or store picks?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Gejimayu posted:

The whiskey tribe can lean a bit annoying for me, but I really enjoyed this video:
whiskey pairings for thanksgiving

Any other personalities you recommend? The Whiskey Tribe guys have reviewed a couple of our bottles which was great for getting some wider recognition, but we only found out about them after the reviews started dropping, and aren’t really in the scene enough to know if there are other folks we should keep an eye on.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

The only Whisky guy I've found worth watching is Ralfy: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp0k3OKqfkPW0HdRLA8JWZg

He can be a bit long winded, but he's a treasure trove of information and is just about 0.0% bullshit.

Looks like he just does Scotch, is that fair?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Greg12 posted:

dumbdumb question here

is there a convenient list of all the whiskeys made in the lawrenceburg factory? there seem to be a lot of fake small distillers selling expensive liquor from the big factory.

followup: are any of them taking the lawrenceburg spirit and aging it themselves, like gordon macphail do with scottish whiskey? does this allow them to say that it's not made in indiana on the label?

or am I totally out of date?

edited to add: gordon macphail's bottling turned something I don't like into something I really like, so I didn't mean to disparage that kind of business

God I hate MGP. The word you want to look for is “Distilled in XXX”. Anything that is some variation of Bottled, Aged, Rested, Blended, etc. means it’s just MGP juice with a fancy label and an upcharge.

e: As a small distillery in Indiana that exclusively makes our own stuff and has since we opened, here’s what our statement says:

Klungar fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Dec 20, 2020

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

I fall victim to this too: doesn’t matter that I got the bottle for state min, if the secondary is hundreds of dollars I’m in effect paying hundreds of dollars to drink it. Don’t think either philosophy is “right” but don’t think you’ll successfully convince someone one way of the other.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

DerekSmartymans posted:

Whiskey is sterile. Fight COVID-19 at the liquor store by keeping your throat clean with Whiskey.

Bonus: Drink Whiskey and not even care about COVID infection!:agesilaus:

Bonus bonus: Drink Whiskey and use hand sanitizer the distillery produced during early COVID that they still have pallets of laying around!

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

spankmeister posted:

*There is a lot of crap/fake Japanse whisky nowadays. Due tot the fact that it became suddenly very popular a little under a decade ago, production just couldn't keep up and prices skyrocketed. In trying to meet demand, not only has this resulted in young whisky being sold with no age statement (Hibiki Harmony, Nikka Coffey Malt/Grain comes to mind), but also, and even worse the liquor labeling laws in Japan are very lax, giving producers a lot of leeway. This has resulted in them doing things like import whisk(e)y from for example Scotland and Japan in big containers, blend it with some of their own whisky (maybe not even that!), and sell it as Japanse whisky.

The market for Japanese whisky is so overheated that you can expect to pay 2-300$ for a 12 year old Yamazaki. An equivalent Scotch is maybe $50. Any Japanse whisky that's sold for normal money should be suspected to have whisky from other countries blended in. It's sad. I haven't bought japanese whisky for years for this reason.

Didn’t the laws on this just change to hopefully prevent this kind of shady practice going forward?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Quiet Feet posted:

I'll say this: I was making a sauce to accompany some Jamaican beef patties and this a couple teaspoons of this really tied it together.

I have not yet found a reason to treat it as an actual drink, nor have I found a cocktail or beverage to mix it in that it actually compliments in any way.

Bloody Mary?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

tokenbrownguy posted:

Can anyone recommend an apple or other fruit whiskey for my dad? He likes the poo poo that tastes like corn syrup apple flavor and ten high so really anything is a step up.

My brother swears by Howler Head, which is banana-flavored whiskey.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Facebook grapevine says Heaven Hill workers went on strike at midnight last night and a picket line is forming outside of their new Bardstown facility - apparently other distilleries are to follow?

What's the issue at hand?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

obi_ant posted:

I'm a bit surprised that there isn't a Goon trading group for bourbon considering there is one for beer.

Got a link to this?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Lawlicaust posted:

I’d personally get the Russel’s 13. Really good and I have not been able to find a bottle anywhere. It’s going for BTAC prices on secondary.

Yeah, the Russel's Reserve is the winner here, especially compared to Blantons.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Bape Culture posted:

I wish I had never opened my yamazaki Sherry cask

I especially wish my wife hadn’t used it in a chilli when she was out of sherry

https://twitter.com/nyt_first_said/status/1446483749647093766?s=21

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

I'm a fan of cask strength MGP but it's a pain to find affordably. Used to be that some of the Whistlepig store picks were 10-year cask strength MGP (labeled as product of Indiana rather than Canada) but I doubt those are still a thing.

"Bone Snapper Rye" is also cask strength MGP. I also see Old Scout Rye sometimes, which I believe is MGP now as well. Essentially anything with a Made in Indiana label is MGP. They also do their own in-house brand now ("George Remus") but they're pricey.

There are certainly a number of craft distilleries in Indiana that actually make their own product (like ours), but they are still few and far between the places that just relabel and upcharge MGP. We've had people come into our distillery, take a tour of our production facility, and still call us liars to our face when we say we make everything ourselves and don't do sourcing. Hard to change the assumption when so many companies have and will continue to trick consumers for as long as they have.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Lowness 72 posted:

Do you distribute out of state? I would like to buy and drink your whiskey.

Nah, sorry, we are only in Indiana, which doesn’t help with the education issues in other states.

Bear Wallow Distillery

In case you are ever in our neck of the woods.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Paul Proteus posted:

I live in Louisville. I'll have to check this out.

Make sure to let them know you are a goon so my parents can be very confused about what the gently caress you are talking about.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

spankmeister posted:

Oh I'm curious now.... straight whiskey without age stated implies 4 years or older. Thats quite a dark color. Are you using small barrels? What's the wood interaction like in Indiana? I know in Texas the whisky gets "cooked" pretty quickly due to the extreme heat but what does your climate do to it? Thanks!

Caveat: I’m not actually involved in the day-to-day. I work an engineering job while the rest of my family actually owns/operates the distillery, so I might be off on a detail or two here.

At this point most of our stuff is in the 6-7 range. We opened in 2014, and at the time we could only really get our hands on 5/10/15 gallon barrels. We’re now filling exclusively 30/53s, but for the first couple years, small barrels is A) what was available and B) did help by aging “faster” to help us get some baby bourbon within a year. That plus bottling our regular at 100 proof and SBBP at 125+ proof leads to the darker color. Climate wise, our shop was pretty small, she eventually we started storing our barrels in shipping containers, until we built a pole barn at the start of the pandemic and moved all our barrels into there. I have to imagine the climate isn’t too much different in Southern Indiana than it is in Northern Kentucky.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

GordonComstock posted:

Any North Carolina goons? We have a thriving distillery scene here but I don’t have a good idea where to start and my first two tries were Lonerider whiskey (was fine) and Old North State (was not fine).

Have you tried Asheville Distilling Company? I know my parents were a fan of them.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

bloody ghost titty posted:

drat, I didn’t mean to kill this dead. Prompt- which small, newer makers are people enjoying? I saw New Riff in the chat, anything else I should keep an eye out for?

Will continue to shill for my folks' place, Bear Wallow Distillery in Brown County, Indiana.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

My wife has expressed interest in smoky whiskeys after having a smoked old fashioned last night. What’s the best bang-for-your-buck in the peaty scotches? Laphroaig 10? Something else?

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Looks like local prices/availability are:

Laphroaig 10: $60
Ardbeg 10: $60
Port Charlotte 10: $70
High West Campfire: $80
Lagavulin 16: $100
Ledaig 10: Unavailable

Seems like the question then is if the Port Charlotte higher proof is worth it over the Ardbeg? Which would you go with in this scenario?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Ardbeg 10 and Port Charlotte 10 ended up being greatly appreciated Valentine's Day gifts for my wife, thanks to the thread for the help!