Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Hudlinkin posted:

Any suggestions for good Irish Whiskeys? I've been drinking Bushmill's for a while but I'm wondering what else is worth checking out.

As someone who grew up in Ire;and, I'll heartily recommend Redbreast as a very well balanced whiskey at a decent price.

If you're feeling flush, you could go for the Middleton Very Rare as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Kenning posted:

Redbreast is off the hook. I can corroborate this.

Thirding this.

Jameson 12yo is nice enough (Grew up in Ireland, sort of weird to think of Jameson as a luxury brand) but Redbreast just blows its back doors off.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Kenning posted:

If you can't find Rittenhouse stateside I seriously doubt you'll find it in the UK, seeing as it's made in Kentucky and I don't know how much the British are into rye. Just have to wait until next year's release.

I picked up a bottle from Whiskey Exchange in the UK last week, they have a few Rittenhouse varieties.

:britain:

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

GordonComstock posted:

You won't be disappointed, especially if you're into the single pot stilled varieties. It's the best Irish Whiskey I've ever had (I only drink Irish Whiskey and rye whiskey). I've still to make my way around to trying Redbreast 15 yr and cask strength Redbreast 12, but expense and availability make it a tough go here in the USA. Luckily, Powers John's Lane has been released stateside in Total Wine shops, so I got to try that. It's not really better than Redbreast 12 or Green Spot at the price, unfortunately.

Honestly, as far as Irish Whiskey goes, I've not found better than the Redbreast 12.

Powers was never highly regarded when I lived over there, and I'd agree.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

JewKiller 3000 posted:

FYI, regular Jameson is the lowest-level offering that Jameson produces. You can get a bottle for like $20. Try to pick up a bottle of the 12yo for around $40, it's tons better. If you find a decent bar that has the 12yo, ask them to pour you a shot (or half-shot) of that, next to one of regular Jameson. Try the 12yo first, then attempt to stomach the regular stuff. You'll notice quite a difference!

Or just buy a bottle of Redbreast 12 instead, it's either miles better. Jameson is pretty overrated.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

radthibodaux posted:

I actually haven't had a rye before but I'm open to trying it out. I just wish there was a cost effective way of sampling whiskies. Maybe I can find a local bar that serves it.

If you've drank Bulleit, you have a good idea though, it's pretty rye-y

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Highland Park 12 going for £25 in Tesco at the moment, which is a steal for my go-to whisky.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Some Good NAS Expressions:
Aberlour A'bunadh
Laphroaig QC
Ardbeg Uigeadail / Corryvrecken
Bruichladdich Classic Laddie
Most expressions from Compass Box (send them an email and they'll tell you what's in it)

Incredibly late to the party, but I've been really impressed by every Compass Box whisky I've tried.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

emotive posted:

Wishing I bought Monkey Shoulder instead of Dewars 12 year after seeing reviews. New to scotches and wanted to pick up something cheapish... not much of a fan I don’t think.

edit: With an ice cube, I'm enjoying it MUCH more.

Monkey Shoulder is amazing value for how good it is.

I've loved all of the blends I've had from Compass Box as well.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Lowness 72 posted:

Do I like the taste of the bourbon and/or how "hot" does it taste vs. how much is a bottle and how easy is it to find?

Example: I really like the taste of Eagle Rare. It used to be $35 / bottle and not too hard to find. Now if I find it, it's $70+. I no longer drink Eagle Rare because I don't think it's a $70 bourbon.

As I try bourbons and find what I like, I then read reviews where people compare to other bourbons or talk about bourbons they like. Gives me an idea of what to try next.

This seems crazy to me when I just bought a bottle of Eagle Rare in the UK for £30 gbp /36$ US from a supermarket.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Dr. Lunchables posted:

I had a bottle of Angels Envy shipped to a buddy in England and it cost me $65 total. I just saw a bottle at costco in the United States of FREEDOM and it was loving $80. Bourbon prices are insane.

That said, Michigan state minimum also went up on stuff like imported irish. Yellow Spot is now $125 a bottle. I guess I need to go pick one up before the price goes up more, wtf.

Yellow spot is fantastic, but that's some rough pricing, drat.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Good lord they are taking the piss on those prices.

Speaking of which I tried Pappy 15 for the first time at the weekend, and much to my annoyance, really liked it.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

On the scotch side, Bells is still reliably vile.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Miles Blundell posted:

Is there a better smoky whiskey than laphroaig quarter cask around the same price? It's my current go-to but I'm curious to try others and it feels bad to buy a whole nother bottle for a bunch of money and have a worse whiskey on my shelf for a couple months until I finish it.

Lagavulin 16 is pretty banging

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

JohnCompany posted:

I've had success converting bourbon fans with sherry-heavy scotch. How much is Aberlour 12 or Springbank 10 near you?

Springbank 10 is absolutely sublime if you can get hold of it

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Lowness 72 posted:

I'm getting back into Irish whisky. But redbreast is too expensive for daily drinking. What's good for sipping neat that's under $30?

I tried bushmills (the basic white bottle) and it was decent but lacked that pot still character. Guessing it has too much column/ grain spirit in it.

Thoughts?

LTTP but the correct answer is Green Spot

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

I've drank too much Springbank 15 recently, it's kinda ruining other whiskey for me by being too good.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Meaty Ore posted:

Where are you finding Green Spot under $30? It's in the same price range as Redbreast everywhere I've seen it.

Redbreast is a good £10 a bottle more expensive over here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Now if you want to go up (quite) a bit in price, Method and Madness releases from Midleton are fantastic.