Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

pork never goes bad posted:

I am a big fan of Compass Box, though perhaps oddly I definitely tend to prefer their lighter whiskies. Asyla is pretty delicious,

Bought this at the beginning of summer for hot weather drinking, and I was pretty impressed. It was very tasty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

KhyrosFinalCut posted:

I have had great success with Old Overholt.

I'd go Old Overholt above the Jim Beam Rye at least. Rittenhouse is good stuff though.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

GEEKABALL posted:

I've never seen Amrut in D/FW area liquor stores. I would love to try it.

Total Wine sometimes carries it. I've seen it at the Plano store on 75. Their website says they seem to be out now, but it looks like Denton might have some.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Anyone tried the Jameson Caskmates? Saw it in the store, and it seems like it could be a good gimmick.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
How's the CC 9 year? That's super reasonable at the local TW, but I haven't tried it.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Combining the recent talk of cheap scotch and the new egg nog thread, are there any cheap scotches that might suit eggnog? I know christmas cake, nuttiness or dried fruit can all show up sometimes. Anything come to mind that might fit the bill?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

22 Eargesplitten posted:

A KY mule is a good start. Then something intermediate, then a Manhattan. The Manhattan is pretty sweet with the vermouth and natural sweetness of a lot of whiskeys.

Whiskey and ginger is a classic for a good reason. So is something like a Lynchburg Lemonade or even just simple whiskey and lemonade.

I'm a big fan of New York Sours as well, the wine adds a real nice character that might appeal to people who like fruitier drinks.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
On the cheap side, I've been enjoying Grand Old Parr 12. It's pretty solid for $25.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I was going to say that I used to drink Jim Beam Rye, but my local TW shows it as being $7 more than Old Overholt and only $2 less than Rittenhouse. So, that's basically not a product I'd ever recommend at the price point.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
I've always liked Old Overholt, and while it doesn't compete with the heavy hitters, I think it swings above it's (typically very cheap) price.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Anyone got an idea as to how the Reidel whiskey glasses line up against Glencairn? It's a rather different design so I'm wondering if anyone has tried side by sides or anything.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Whalley posted:

I haven't ever had an armagnac on a night where I'm not being terrible to myself, so I always associate them with lovely fuckin' all day hangovers. Any specific brand/bottle recommendations?

Yeah, this. The liquor store here has them generally priced higher per bottle than I'd want just to try something. There's only a handful <$50.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Weltlich posted:

Ash: at a #1-#2 char will give notes of marshmallow and toasted coconut. Darker chars will start to get smokier notes, like the back end of a good scotch, but too dark will start to get acrid.

Sounds like this is toasted marshmallow whiskey.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

obi_ant posted:

So if I’m understanding correctly, the main ingredients...

Bourbon = corn
Rye Bourbon = rye
Wheated Bourbon = wheat

Also Barley. Here's a little bit of a breakdown of different grains and what you get: https://blog.distiller.com/whiskey-grains/

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

fat bossy gerbil posted:

I’m looking for the best bottles you can get for under $20. Any style of whiskey but no scotch. Rebel Yell and Black Velvet Reserve have been a long time go to for me but I’m looking to branch out.

I'm a long time Old Overholt partisan. It's price has crept up a bit, but still comfortably under $20 here. Evan Williams White (and others) are good at their price point. I've got a buddy who swears by Very Old Barton. If you can stretch your budget, my TW has Old Grand Dad 114 for $21 and it's absolutely worth every penny.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Any love for Grand Old Parr 12? That's what I've got stocked as a "mixing" scotch, though it's plenty good enough to drink on it's own. Runs $25 at TW, it drinks well and has a little bit of peat in the finish. Also a unique bottle.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
My brother'd gotten me a $70 bottle of bourbon for my last birthday and I thought I'd return the favor. He's more of scotch drinker though. He typically goes for Glenlivet, and I'd gotten him a bottle of their Nadurra as a best man thing which he enjoyed. I was wondering if there was anything else in the $70-$80 range that he'd be likely to enjoy. My preference would be to branch out a bit, and maybe something with a bit of age. Locally it looks like Loch Lomond 18 might be an option, though that appears to be very divisive. The local TW has Bowmore 15 "The Darkest" in that range, though I know nothing about that one. Any thoughts on those 2 or suggestions that I might be overlooking?

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

zmcnulty posted:

TLDR you stole each other's cars?
Do Chevy Bolts not have keys?

edit: oh, you put said bourbon into the wrong trunk to begin with. makes more sense

I mean, you still have to open the other guys trunk, which seems weird.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Weltlich posted:

Thanks!

Most of the emails that have been coming back from congressional/senatorial offices have been positive, so it looks like we've got a majority of support. The trick now is getting it to a vote. At the moment, I've been informed that it's gone to the House Ways and Means committee, so that's progress. But, we've got effectively 5 working weeks between now and the end of the year.

I can't tell what Colin Allred will do.

quote:

Thank you for reaching out regarding tax policy for craft distillers and the effects of H.R. 1, the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act (TCJA) that Congress passed in 2017. I appreciate hearing from you on this issue.

For many reasons, I believe the 2017 tax bill was a missed opportunity. Instead of providing much-needed tax relief to middle-class families and small businesses, it gave large tax cuts to big corporations and the wealthiest Americans.

However, I recognize that there are aspects of the bill that gave much-needed tax reform to certain areas of our economy, including smaller craft distillers, brewers, and wine producers, through a lower excise tax to help them compete with larger-scale wineries, breweries, and distilleries. Distilling and brewing is a rapidly expanding industry across Texas, and the distillers of North Texas need certainty in order to continue to expand their business and bring value to their communities.

I am committed to lowering the tax burden and raising wages for middle class families and those working to get there, not giving massive handouts to the richest Americans. I support tax reforms that ask the wealthy and big corporations to pay their fair share in taxes so that we can help working families and small business owners. I will continue to fight for these priorities every day as your Congressman.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Scythe posted:

Any recommended/favorite blended scotches (at any price point, just good values)? I've been making more cocktails and drinking highballs and whiskey on the rocks more lately.

I'd list current favorites but I haven't discovered any super strong preferences (other than poo poo that's too cheap is awful, and that it seems like diminishing returns set in around the $50 mark [in NYC]) and don't want to bias the thread. I'm really just looking for an all-rounder to keep in stock and want to make sure I've explored most/all reasonable options before I settle.

I'm a bit curious to see the recs too. I've settled on Grand Old Parr 12, in part because it's very affordable and also reasonable to drink straight. It won't stand in for something real smoky, it has just a whiff on the back end, but I also don't feel at all bad mixing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
So I'm normally a lower shelf kinda guy but treated myself to some Ironroot Harbinger 115 this week. And boy howdy, that's really good stuff. Very thick and rich and smells good. I don't really have words for this stuff, but man it's nice.