Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

java
May 7, 2005

Through sheer dumb luck, I’ve managed to snag a couple of bottles of Pappy in the past few months. Thinking I’m going to hold onto the 20 year for a really special occasion, and possibly sell the 15 year. Having never ventured into the secondary market before, what’s the best way to do so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

java
May 7, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

I've only had the 20 (an older bottle that a friend brought for a birthday years ago) and it was great, but I've heard the 15 is the best of the bunch. IMO, sell the 20 (which has a bigger value on the secondary) and drink the 15 (which is much richer at 107 proof and less over-oaked than the otherwise thin 90-proof 20). Again, this is mostly secondhand advice since I haven't personally had the 15, but that's what I would probably do in your situation.

Greatly appreciate the advice! I've actually never had Pappy period and don't know much about which is preferred. I'm actually a big fan of Four Roses single barrels and that's much more my wheelhouse of experience. I'll ponder this.

java
May 7, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

I think Evan Williams single barrel has a bit of cherry taste to me.

Also, I really have enjoyed Maker’s Mark cask strength for those looking for higher proof wheaters that are actually findable. Big improvement over the standard makers, but I think I’m finding that I prefer spicier bourbons.

My whisky collection is getting out of control now, so I might be on a purchasing hiatus.

Until I find something neat next time I’m at the liquor store.

How many bottles constitutes "out of control?" Asking before I get too deep.

java
May 7, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

If you know how many bottles you have then it's not out of hand (yet).

Fair!

java
May 7, 2005

Got a bottle of the new Four Roses Small Batch select and am excited to try it out sometime soon. Out of curiosity, how you do you all prefer your bourbon/whiskey/scotch and how firm is that preference? I've always had mine with a a few cubes of ice, but am always worried that I'm wasting it by watering it down.

java
May 7, 2005

The Bandit posted:

Anyone else try the Stagg Jr this year? I picked up a bottle and it’s 127 and change and super mellow. I remember having it a couple years ago and not being impressed. But this bottling is fantastic.

I had just picked a bottle up about two weeks ago. Hadn't ever really tried Stagg Jr. before and was really blown away by the richness of flavor. It's certainly a treat.

Also, the bottle shop near me has Elmer T Lee in stock. Thinking about possibly picking up a bottle but holy poo poo, it's not cheap.

java fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 20, 2019

java
May 7, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

To stay on the whisky topic, the best whisky I’ve had recently is a sample of willett rye small batch, 4 year, ~111 proof. Really really solid!

I really really like Willett rye. Their standard bourbon is surprisingly mediocre, particularly for the price. Pretty bottle though.

java
May 7, 2005

So did BSM disappear?

java
May 7, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

Just had some stagg jr. and dang is that good. Best mouthfeel I’ve had in a bourbon for a long time.

Stagg Jr. is one of the best bourbons I’ve ever had.

java
May 7, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

Called around and found a bottle of stagg jr yesterday, woohoo!

Then I traded a guy a bottle of EHT single barrel for a bottle of stagg jr.

Then I traded a guy an eagle rare store pick + cash for a bottle of stagg jr.

Tomorrow I’m trading a 1.75 of Weller SR for a bottle of stagg jr.

So that...escalated quickly. I’ll have three batches now, and a couple gifts for my bourbon living uncles!

There's a store near me that's got a couple of bottles of Stagg Jr. sitting at 74.99 each. TBH, I'm kind of tempted to go and buy one more.

java
May 7, 2005

New Riff’s Single Barrel is surprisingly good for something not terribly old. I think 4RSB is still better for the price, but something I’d certainly consider picking up again.

Old Bardstown BiB was a bit of a let down tbh.

java
May 7, 2005

Someone told me that Ancient Age is just Blantons that’s only been aged 3 - 4 years. I wasn’t sure if this was true or not, but I’m trying some now, and I gotta day, it’s not bad for the price and age.

java
May 7, 2005

Meaty Ore posted:

Nothing so flashy as what's just been posted, but I just opened a bottle of New Riff Single Barrel, and it is really, really good. $42 at my local Costco well spent.

I found it to be very solid for the price point. 4RSB is still my go to, but New Riff SB is a very solid #2.

java
May 7, 2005

Just opened a new bottle of New Riff Single Barrel. I'm surprised at how much variation I'm getting between bottles. The one I've got right now is very heavy on the peanut buttery notes, which I hadn't really gotten from them previously.

java
May 7, 2005

Anyone have any thoughts about Old Carter or Booker's Granny Batch? Contemplating picking one up, but not sure which one, or even either.

java
May 7, 2005

Agreed. 4RSB remains my absolute favorite bourbon at the price point (31.99 locally).

Also, was at my local shop and they had a sign up limiting customers to 1 bottle of Buffalo Trace per transaction. Is BT getting harder to find or something?

java
May 7, 2005

nwin posted:

So I’m new to bourbon but I like it.

I love buffalo trace but it isn’t available near me (Virginia). Basil Hayden isn’t bad.

That’s all I’ve really had besides Irish whiskey.

What would you all recommend next?

https://www.abc.virginia.gov/products/bourbon#sort=relevancy&numberOfResults=12

I’m thinking Elijah Craig small batch but am willing to pick up a few others.

As noted previously, Four Roses Single Barrel is incredibly solid at it's price point. For me, when I was just starting to enjoy bourbon neat, it was the one that clicked. Woodford Reserve is certainly worth checking out, as is Larceny (which is a steal at it's price). If you prefer mixed-drinks or highballs, Wild Turkey 101 is pretty solid. Evan Williams Single Barrel has also been surprisingly solid. Finally, I see it listed, but if you can get it, Blanton's is also absolutely worth checking out.

java
May 7, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

One guy bought 6 cases... SIX cases. 36 bottles. Like $1700 or so after tax. God I hate this bourbon fad.

Christ, that's loving obscene. Most places around here have a two bottle limit on anything unusual for this exact reason.

java
May 7, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

Buying an entire cask of whisky solo is something that a minuscule percentage of the world’s population has ever done. It is on the extreme side of extreme edge case scenarios.

In the current bourbon market, there’s a 99.999% chance this dude is buying to flip. I mean yeah, is possible that he’s buying it because he’s the world’s biggest knob creek fan, but it’s highly doubtful.

Rather than focusing blame on the individual for buying with the intention of flipping, imo stores need to enact 3 bottle limits. Regardless of how I feel about flippers, it's rational behavior from an individual perspective. If the industry wants to actually prevent this kind of behavior, limits need to be put in place at the point of distribution.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

java
May 7, 2005

Casu Marzu posted:

Is Eagle Rare stupid hard to find everywhere? It's one of my fav bourbons, but I haven't been able to find a bottle in like a year.

Edit: Is there anything similar in the same price range that will scratch the itch?

It’s become relatively hard to find at normal prices in my neck of the woods (KY).