Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

that's Doctor Brain to you
This inspired me to revisit my bottle of St George whisky from a few years ago and I like it a lot. I remember being disappointed in it when I bought it but now it reminds me of a couple of my favorites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

On Saturday I'm running a whiskey tasting for some friends and acquaintances, and I've never done it before. Aside from the whiskey itself, what else should I think about? Water for people to add to compare the difference? I'd like to provide some robust snacks since it will be around dinner time -- various cheeses, crackers, nuts, hummus, dark chocolate -- any other ideas there? What else am I forgetting?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Thanks all! Very helpful.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

The whiskey tasting went well, everyone had a great time. I had crackers, cheeses, olives, dried fruits, nuts, and it was plenty. For the whiskey I went with a bit of a split line up -- American and then Scotch:

• Lost Republic Bourbon Double Barrel
  • Whistlepig Piggyback 100% Rye Whiskey
  • St. George B&E American Whiskey

• The Exclusive Regions Orkney 9 Year Scotch Whisky
  • Kirkland Speyside Single Malt 20 Year Scotch Whisky Sherry Cask Finish
  • Bruichladdich Islay Barley 2010 Unpeated Single Malt Scotch Whisky
  • Lagavulin Islay Single Malt 16 Year Scotch Whisky

And then a couple of bonus items, a barrel aged gin and an añejo agave spirit from a distillery I love in Santa Cruz:
  • Venus Spirits Gin No. 02
  • Venus Spirits El Ladron Blue Agave Spirit Añejo

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Best value? Bulleit. Best overall? I’m still looking, I’ll be sure to take notes from what you all suggest.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

bloody ghost titty posted:

drat, I didn’t mean to kill this dead. Prompt- which small, newer makers are people enjoying? I saw New Riff in the chat, anything else I should keep an eye out for?

I'm in Northern California, so not exactly the heart of whiskey country, but I've been seeing more and more of Lost Republic (founded 2013) and Redwood Empire (founded 2015) and enjoying both quite a lot. I'd like to dive deeper into their lineups, they have four and eight different whiskeys, respectively. And of course St. George always has interesting stuff, but they're not new (1982) and can be a bit pricey.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

I still don't think Caol Ila 12 year gets enough love in the Islay world. It's like it's respectibly good whiskey, but not hip enough to Garner the following Ardbeg or Bruichladdich garnered over the last 15ish or so years.

I admittedly haven't tried Port Charlotte though.

Caol Ila is fantastic.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Thanks for lettting me know about these. I'm from the Ukiah area and between these and Charbay I'm starting to think there's plenty of good gift ideas for my trips home (both giving and getting lol).

I mean wine and all but sometimes you gotta branch out

And thank you for letting me know about Charbay -- I'll keep my eye out for them locally.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I've got a secret santa thing coming up, my santee has requested alcohol but he's in North Carolina. Seems like none of the normal delivery services can send liquor there, probably related to the state having ABC stores. Does anyone know how I could get alcohol to him since shipping it myself is illegal? I was going to get him a nice bottle of bourbon but this has me very confused.

Many categories of mail are sealed against postal inspection unless they get a warrant: https://faq.usps.com/s/article/Can-my-mail-be-opened

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

You could look at local delivery from within North Carolina from a service like Drizly.

e:f;b

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

One of the attendees from my whiskey tasting was super kind. He just came back from Thanksgiving at home in Nashville and brought me a bottle from his favorite distillery, Corsair. It happened to be a Dark Rye and while he didn’t know it, rye is my favorite kind of whiskey. And drat if this whiskey isn’t probably my new all time favorite. Thankfully he seems to have been wrong when he said they don’t ship to California!

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

poisonpill posted:

What’s the best scotch for $50?

“Scotch” is a big category. What do you like and not like?

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

S.W.O.R.D. Agent posted:

Not exactly a peathead, but my favorite smokey Scotch has been Caol Ila 12.

Seconding this. I do like a good amount of peat, including the smokiest, but Caol Ila 12 is so well-rounded and balanced that it's my favorite.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

Lowness 72 posted:

It's hard to find though and I think there's a bunch in JW Black? Feels like you get close enough drinking JW.

Not hard to find around here (California). I've never had trouble finding it and both large alcohol chains near me (BevMo, Total Wine) show it as in stock in every store near me or available for 30 minute delivery.

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

A friend gave me a bottle of Oban - Distiller's Edition for my birthday and it's really excellent, well balanced and interesting. It's the first time I've read the tasting notes/description and agreed with everything they said and tasted everything they called out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Muir
Sep 27, 2005

sean10mm posted:

Also, the spirit you drink for performative masculinity is clearly Jack Daniels. Scotch is expensive snob juice from Yerp.

Ah, but performative masculinity exists at all class levels. Gotta serve every segment of the market.