Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I mean look, Scottish kiltsmen ran around all day, which is why they could drink entire kegs of this stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Nah, use this or the cocktail thread imo, the rum thread died for lack of posting. Maybe we even had a gin one at one point. Everyone will be happy to learn!

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

The Pikesville rye that I thought was maybe a little too strong and hot... I'm liking more and more it gets towards the end of the bottle, maybe it's mellowing a bit.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Enigma posted:

IPAs taste like literal bar soap to me and make everything taste terrible after, so that checks out.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Basically don't buy any Macallan ever.

My dad just keeps buying macallen 12 and I don't get it, I get him interesting bourbons and ryes and he'll drink them and then just get another.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

spankmeister posted:

Maybe he likes scotch more than rye and bourbon and you should get him a good scotch instead.

I mean, yeah, I know, he's had plenty of good scotch too, he just chooses macallan for his regular drink at home.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Anyone celebrating Dunnett day with some scotch?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Speaking of, I had a glass of the always reliable wt101 bourbon and even though it's been sitting somewhat low for a while, still good.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Control Volume posted:

Is anyone here familiar with Wild Turkey?

WT101 is in the very first post of this very thread.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Last night I went to a tasting of M&H, one of the first distilleries in, of all places, Israel. Bunch of talk about climate, losing a shitton to evaporation, etc

The Classic Bourbon & STR Cask matured 46% was described as a pretty standard whisky and, yup, pretty standard, very little to talk about.

They have an elements line in which we tried red wine cask, sherry cask, and peated, all the same 46%. Honestly, despite loving peaty Scotch, I preferred the other two, both had a very sweet nose and not terribly burny, while the peated just didn't stand out at all.

Then there was the Arts and Crafts doppelbock haaretz doppelbock beer cask matured 58.3%. Holy poo poo this was gorgeous, rich, a long slow burn that really lasted. I loved this one a lot.

Finally, Apex Fortified Red Wine Port-Style Red Wine cask matured 60.4%. I liked it, and honestly it reminded me more of scotch than the peated elements, but wasn't my favorite.

Overall, by far I loved the arts and crafts, quite liked two of the elements, and it was a great time. Never heard of Israeli whisky before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Friend's dad decided to open a bottle of Royal Salute 21 year...and I couldn't get any tasting notes at all out of it. Smooth to the point of boring.

What's this supposed to be? What is it even blended from?