Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

glompix posted:

What do you do for sauce? I feel like our sauce is our weak point. We buy peeled, canned tomatoes and crush them, but it ends up a little too runny/pulpy for my liking. Still really good, though! Chicago style best style. :hfive:

I've been using 6 in 1 tomatoes, along with garlic, olive oil, basil, etc. till it tastes right. They work great for spaghetti sauce and chili too...not quite fresh home-grown, but still way better than what I was buying at the grocery store, and cheaper.

Pizza from last week:

Not my best effort, accidentally used cheapo flour instead of the KA bread flour that was still sitting in the freezer...still tasted surprisingly good though :)

The dough was an NY-style recipe i've been using for a while that I grabbed off a pizzamaking.com post from someone named Essen1:

100% Flour
63% Water (lukewarm)
0.5% IDY
1% coarse Sea Salt
1.5% olive oil
2% organic sugar

Roughly (can't find the post right atm): Dissolve the sugar and salt in the water, then mix the yeast in with the flour and sift in with the water mixture. Mix with dough hook on speed 1 till it comes halfway together, then add the oil. Mix for 3 minutes on speed 2, rest for 20 mins, 6 mins more on speed 2, then finally 2 mins on speed 3.

Remove, divide, ball up, cover and put in the fridge overnight. Then re-ball and back in the fridge for another 10-12 hours. Take out 1.5-2 hours before you want to cook, on a floured surface covered with a damp towel.

Cooked at 500 (crappy electric oven) on one of the Fibrament pizza stones for maybe 8-10 mins total.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I'd go with plain old bread flour until you feel like you're getting a consistent result. Then try the fancier stuff and see if you can tell the difference. $5 for 5 lbs is a lot cheaper than $8 for 3 lbs too. I don't know about you but I can only get AP and bread flour locally, no one stocks the fancier KAF stuff. Their pizza flour mix uses a blend of durum flour (higher protein) and AP flour, a dough conditioner, and a little baking powder. You could add baking powder yourself and find dough conditioner by itself online cheaper if you found it made a difference.

If you have the storage, the trick to getting the fancy stuff at a decent price is finding a distributor/bakery/someplace that otherwise sells in bulk that'll hook you up - putting in an order for 50 lbs of KA Sir Lancelot next week with a local place, works out to roughly $0.60/lb :frogc00l:

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

Radio Help posted:

Does anyone know where I can find instant yeast? It's in tons of different pizza recipes, and I have been to pretty much every style of grocery store in Portland and all I can find is Active Dry.

I've been using SAF instant yeast from King Arthur's online store - http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/saf-red-instant-yeast-16-oz

We ordered 2 of those packages almost a year ago, still working through the first one (stored in a container in the fridge) and it's still rising just fine.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008
Second of two pies made using KA Sir Lancelot for the first time, just cheese and pepperoni on parchment paper on a stone for about 10 minutes at 500:

First one came out darn tasty, I was surprised at how much spring and stretch the dough had as opposed to using the bread flour.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008
The individual crusts in the OP pics are fairly small - if you want one bigger or thicker you're probably better off not splitting the dough ball in the first place, or only splitting it in half, etc.

By way of comparison, I use a recipe as per the following:

Flour (100%): 653.39 g | 23.05 oz | 1.44 lbs
Water (63%): 411.63 g | 14.52 oz | 0.91 lbs
IDY (.3%): 1.96 g | 0.07 oz | 0 lbs | 0.65 tsp | 0.22 tbsp
Salt (1.75%): 11.43 g | 0.4 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.38 tsp | 0.79 tbsp
Oil (1.75%): 11.43 g | 0.4 oz | 0.03 lbs | 2.54 tsp | 0.85 tbsp
Sugar (2%): 13.07 g | 0.46 oz | 0.03 lbs | 3.28 tsp | 1.09 tbsp
Total (168.8%): 1102.92 g | 38.9 oz | 2.43 lbs | TF = N/A
Single Ball: 551.46 g | 19.45 oz | 1.22 lbs

Which makes 2 551g balls, that the person I got the recipe from says should each stretch out to 16-inch NY-style pies. Of course, my stretching technique sucks and I sometimes end up with thick crust and an overly thin center, but you get the idea :)

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

quote:

Shooting Blanks - thanks for the website. It sounds like users are pretty happy with these although $70-90 I think is a bit much for a stone. Maybe I'm not hardcore enough. Or just cheap.

Didn't you say you were trying to replace a 12-14 inch stone? The 13 5/8" Fibrament is only $43, actually.

Mine has behaved perfectly for about 3 years so far, probably close to 100 pizzas and multiple cleaning cycles, and if the pizzas come out less than perfect it's always been something I screwed up, not the stone.

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

Jedit posted:

I'm looking to get my mother a pizza stone for her birthday. Any recommendations? The site with the Fibrament stones linked to earlier doesn't seem to be working any more.

Their site seems alright as far as I can tell? - http://www.bakingstone.com/

Bought one about 4 years ago, it's still holding up fine despite spilling cheese and sauce on it several times like an idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

Jedit posted:

I cannot connect to that site.

The baking steel is interesting, but I wouldn't want to risk it. Also, the postage to the UK is more than the bloody steel.

Weird, works fine on my phone and work computer....anyhoo, I imagine the shipping on one of their stones to the UK probably wouldn't be much better than the steel anyway.

Deathwing fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Feb 20, 2013