Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I just sauté them on the stovetop if I want to drive off moisture. It’s quick and takes only a minute or so.

I really don’t like mushy peppers so don’t expect a crunch unless you just add them for a minute or so right to the pizza. Nothing worse than a pointlessly watery pizza.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I have a wood peel and just rub flour into it. Only runs into problems if someone spills sauce or cheese over the edges. So if you’re a messy pizza maker, maybe go for the parchment.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
You don't need to crimp the dough, just roll it out with a big rolling pin and smack it with a fork to get it to lie flat. And get the sauce and cheese all the way to almost falling off the pizza. And what's this olive oil thing, regular corn oil is just fine. Ain't nobody got the money for fancy olive oil in tavern style. Really though, try corn oil instead, as that helps get that Chicago tavern style cheap corn flavor. And if you don't use fennel sausage you may as well be making something else entirely. Or be traitors like Lou Malnatti's (seriously, who doesn't put fennel in Italian sausage?!?).

I left Chicago last year and tavern style is one of the things worth missing. Not that deep dish thing, tavern style is the better pizza from Chicago. Your pizza does look good too, just naked around the edges. Nice big hunks of sausage.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Gwaihir posted:

Tavern pie v2. This one came out better for sure. I tried to get the crust a little bit more thin, didn't bother crimping the edges, stuck to one topping, and broke up the sausage a bit more. Also finished with some garlic, oregano, and basil after it came out of the oven.

also the pizza wanter, waiting to lick the plate

That looks very nearly perfect.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mediaphage posted:

good move. tbh i don’t like to eat almost any pizza - maybe some small neapolitans - directly from the oven anyway.

If you don't leave the sauce to set again before cutting, too many styles will just make that crust you worked hard to crisp soggy. I throw most of my pizzas on a baking rack after they come out to keep that crisp.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I'd use the KA bread flour if you're used to 12.5% protein content. Personally, all the 00 I've found is closer to 10%, so I sub in KA AP flour when I can't find it. Either would potentially work fine and I use the AP flour for breads all the time too.

I made thin tavern crust pizzas last night with the AP and they turned out great. Still a thin layer of nice chewy dough. I've found that having that steel in the oven to hold the heat makes all the difference in pizza coming out with a good bottom and cooking through fast enough. I'll even remember to take pictures one of these weeks.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
The King Arthur stuff would be slightly stronger at 14% protein. The one you linked is 13.5%. Most of the Italian 00 I’ve seen are 12-13% too. Did you just not like the flavor of the KA stuff or are you just wanting to try out something else? Because you can make good pizza and bread with either one.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah, I have a bakery nearby that sells the flour they get from nearby. Maybe another place to look for trying something else.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

BraveUlysses posted:

baking steel absolutely owns and I like mine more than a lot of my other kitchen tools. absolutely worth every penny.

If you have a gas cooktop it's fantastic for doing pancakes and home made tortillas too.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I put my pizza steel on my outdoor propane burner for smash burgs. Keeps the fat and smoke outside, make the burgs perfectly.

fake edit: fat will drip off the sides so put something down or make peace with it.

I have one with a groove “to catch” the oil, but it’s not big enough when you’re making burgers. So you’ll be making a mess regardless, as there’s no where else for the grease to go. It’s a nice thick heavy rectangle though, and worth the mess into the grill.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mediaphage posted:

nope

but i don't put much salt in the tomato sauce, either, and proscuitto is fairly salty by its lonesome. i find the discussion fascinating because i've literally never had anyone suggest that the pies i make are too salty (not being defensive, i'm very open to criticism)

Mine only get salty when I can't find my preferred tomatoes and cheese (this tends to be what messes it up and makes it too salty). I use between 1-2% salt though depending on what I'm planning for toppings. I don't add any salt to the tomatoes unless they're my home canned stuff as I use acid and heat to can preserve.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
:justpost: you say?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

blixa posted:

If you store in the fridge, instant yeast often lasts way longer than 4 months in my experience. Currently using SAF red I bought in April 2020 and I've not noticed any difference in its effectiveness. But yeah, in a cupboard, it's not going to last you that long once you break the vacuum seal.

SAF Instant red label is good for at least a year in the back of the fridge and 3+ in the freezer. I don’t know why this isn’t the sort of yeast they sell in the packets, but it’s not.

I honestly don’t know if it’s good in the fridge past a year, because it only takes 6-9 months to go through the pound, but I don’t know why it wouldn’t be pretty good still.

Active dry yeast is much more susceptible to dying back in a warm cupboard too and really isn’t great past a few months, especially the little jars (even in the fridge). When I learned all this it really explained why I would have such inconsistent bread when I’d change nothing else. I even have a proofing container to hold temp. Turns out it was dead yeast.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

dphi posted:

I keep like half a cup in the fridge and the rest in the freezer

Why wouldn't you just keep all of it in the freezer? It's not like 3-4g is going to change the temp of anything, and the SAF Instant doesn't care if it goes from fridge or freezer into the flour. By the time you add your water it'll be room temp anyway.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

thotsky posted:

I realize what leopard spots are, but just from this thread one can see there's a pretty big variety in bubble size, distribution and how dark they get. I have also had some pretty weird neopolitan pizzas where the dough is near white aside from the leopard spots (slightly larger than these) and was not a fan.

In this particular pie there are a lot of small bubbles that appear completely black, giving a pretty even cover of deep char. Do you consider that ideal, or is this in the more extreme range of what you shoot for?

I’d say it tastes more smokey that burnt. Sort of like a nice piece of bread that’s been toasted well and just shy of burning. Throw some tomato salad on there and that’s really good complex bruschetta.

Saying that, your neopolitan shouldn’t be pale with char spots. That’s one style I just don’t even bother doing at home because I don’t have the heat for it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mediaphage posted:

haha the grill was turned off and i didn’t realize it until i had dressed the pie so it got to sit around for extra proofing while i heated it back up

with that said i really dig the appearance and i’m tempted to make it more of a thing lol

I honestly make those once in a while too. It's basically bread masquerading with a pizza hat and still tastes really good. I'll make extra dough sometimes and throw it in as bread sticks too. Doesn't have the same texture as long cold fermented dough, but fast pizza > no pizza.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mediaphage posted:

not op, but it's less common in north america, though you can often find it at specialty shops. you can also just breed a little instant yeast in a bowl of warm water and sugar or something.

Look for it in a cooler section. It’s often by the butter in my experience. But most places won’t stock it because people don’t usually grab it.

If you want your own never ending supply you can grow it no problem. You can start with whichever yeast you want and can feed it sugar water essentially. But then you also need to temp control, pH buffer, add nutrients, and then wash it to get your slurry while hoping it doesn’t get infected with lacto and turn into a sourdough starter. All things you can do in your home kitchen, and super low requirements for equipment.

Value added compared to just buying Instant yeast is going to be imperceptible though. We’ve selected our bread yeasts for their ability to be dried, so unless you’re starting with a beer yeast that wasn’t selected for drying then not only is a lot of work, but it won’t taste any different.

But Instant > Active Dry for stability and consistency in cell count.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

mediaphage posted:

yeah i think it's fun to do if anyone's interested; i've played around with it. but there's not a lot of difference over just using instant dry ime. i suppose, perhaps, you might get a quicker response but that's not that important imo and if it is, you can just bloom it.

sometimes i play around with the beer yeasts i keep just for shits and giggles (mostly because it's fun to eat bread while drink beer both of which have been fermented with the same yeast). i haven't had a lot of noticeable differences yet, but i have heard there are a few used for english ales that give you an almost oatmeal flavour in standard bread, which would be neat

Yep! Use any of the malty ones and you get some interesting results when you give them enough time to ferment. Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale and 1968 London ESB would be the first ones I'd try. Anything that's going to throw lots of esters when fermenting I'd skip. Although I've been tempted to just throw my saison yeasts into a bread recipe to see what comes out, but as time would have it, I don't tend to get to do both on the same day.

Modern bread yeast is evolved from beer yeasts anyway, so there's a lot of overlap.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ShaneB posted:

Any of y'all ever use like "Pizza Yeast"? It appears to be designed to do same-day pizza stuff, which might be good for something quick, but I wasn't sure what people's experiences were in their testing of it.

The yeast is the same, but it has enzymes in it to relax the dough.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ShaneB posted:

Is this "good" in any way? Like does it make something decent for same-day bake, or is it just overall kinda not good?

The enzymes will break apart the long starches and simulate a longer ferment. Is it good? It's probably not terrible, but it's one of those things you'd do in a pinch when you decide you need 6 sheet tray pizzas to feed a bunch of kids and not something you'd want to do when you're chasing really good home pizza. It doesn't list the enzymes on the label, but I'd expect they're the same enzymes as you find in wheat flour, but it would be a lot higher concentration than you'd get from just flour so they work faster. I'd guess it's why they recommend baking within an hour or so. Any longer and it's just going to start to turn into something too soft to hold any shape.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Sheet tray style. Left it ferment on the counter all day.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Don’t tell anyone, but that last pizza I made was 67% hydration and I did it by hand. The secret for me is make a shaggy mass, cover, then come back in 20ish after I’m happy with my autolyse step. The I need for a couple minutes until it looks and feels right. The biggest difference in bubble size is how long it gets to ferment and at what temp.

It’s fine to play around and complicate things as much as you want, but that French baker was right. I fussed about making perfect baguette for a couple years and when I stopped fussing as much and just started to go by feel it started turning out great almost every time.

So really, the real secret is practicing a lot.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
That’s cool and looks tasty.

It did make me wonder if there’s such a pizza that is half pizza and half calzone. Sort of a galette style thing where the crust gets folded partway up over some of the toppings. Because if there isn’t then I’m going to put this idle thought into invention time this weekend. I worry that it’ll just turn into a crappy stuffed crust pizza though.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah, 3/8” has never warped on wood, gas, or oven. Worst thing that happened was some hotter spots on my range top for pancakes.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
74% is pretty wet, but still manageable. You may also want to reduce the hydration a touch if it's hot and humid where you are. Not by a lot, but I reduce from 267mL to 260mL when it's humid. So 67% - 65% for the stuff in the air. It works great and makes it manageable in the warmer temps. I shoot for more of a NY style crust though, so you could probably increase a touch if you want a really soft supple dough in a multi day process. It also depends on the flour you use, so change fewer variables if you had a recipe you liked.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Tagichatn posted:

Yeah, it's definitely wheat. She had an allergic reaction which afaik is not a thing with gluten and a blood test to confirm.

That's a bummer. We have a bunch of celiacs in my family though, and this recipe works okay. It's never going to be big and pillowy, but that's what happens without wheat and gluten. I'd guess using vital wheat gluten is also not going to work with it still being wheat based. Here's the basic recipe we start with.

quote:

Preheat oven to 425ºF.

2 1/4 cups gluten free flour (1 1/8 cups brown rice flour + 1 1/8 cups oat flour)*
1 envelope dry yeast (2 tsp instant yeast)
2 teas xantham gum
1 Tbl olive oil
1 Tbl honey
1 cup warm water

They do need to bake for about 10 minutes.

I like to add lots of things. Herbs, spices, cheeses all make it a little be better. The flavor of the yeast is there, and I'd leave it to rest for a couple hours on the counter. The texture is thin crust/flatbread, but it's not bad. Just like regular pizza dough, the longer you can leave the mix to hydrate, the better it will work. Good luck on learning about all the foods again, it's a trip and can be fun when you realize that a lot of other cuisines are ripe with wheat free foods and tons of flavor.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I was talking about for the dough. I have some wheat gluten since I usually have to boost these hipster flours I use for other stuff. So I usually wind up adding enough to all-purpose flour to increase the flour's gluten by 1%. With a cold ferment, I get pretty similar performance to an Italian type 00. In this case, I wasn't going to use them but actually was going to use KA WW like you concidentally brought up. I've done some more reading and one of the gripes about 100% whole wheat was the bran cuts into the gluten strands and makes it harder to get a good texture. So I think I'll try it at a third for now.

I like KA WW at a 1:2 ratio with the KA AP. I get the flavor of the whole wheat and the texture of pizza. The bran doesn’t mess with the crumb this way and it works well. It doesn’t taste like sawdust at all (unless maybe you go above my pleb oven that only goes to 550).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I made 2 day fermented pizzas last night with fresh hand pulled mozzarella and it was wonderfully delicious and I neglected to remember pictures because of it. First one slide off the peel great, but I didn’t do as good a job shaping. Second one stuck after I did a great job shaping. Both tasted great in my 550F steel tray oven.

No changes to the oven or sauce, but that cheese and the dough tasted so very good. The extra time really makes the difference.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

ogopogo posted:

My wife married me BECAUSE of the weekly pizza, best thing ever. Can't wait to see what you put out from your new oven!

Haha, mine says it was because of my bread. But my sourdough starter made a mess in the cabinets last night, so I guess she gets what she paid for.

I had to change dinner plans this week and made a quick dough and compared to the last few weeks when I'd planned better and went with a longer ferment there is such a difference. It wasn't bad by any means, but the long ferments are very much worth it for the flavor alone. They are much more particular about how you handle them and I just need more practice and I need to sand down my peel so I can actually lift it off the work surface without destroying the shape.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Malefitz posted:

I used to prepare tomato sauce with oil, garlic, basil and oregano but nowadays I just crush the canned tomatoes with my hands and cook them in for 1-2 hours until I get a good consistency.

Straining is less work of course but it feels kind of wrong to me to throw away the flavor in the juice :D

Why not just freeze the juice into ice cubes and use them to make a bloody mary? Then you get the best of both worlds.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah, the alpha and beta amylase don’t denature until they get above about 168F (alpha goes lower, beta a bit higher iirc). The optimal temps for brewing are between 144 and 160 or so. Outside that range they act slower the cooler it gets. So you may be able to use it in a longer ferment, but I’ve never bothered either way. I’d expect that what would happen is that they’ll break some of the dextrins into saccharides. Then they’ll be available to the yeast to consume and they’ll get consumed like adding any other simple sugar to the dough.

Trying a brewer schedule wouldn’t work though, there wouldn’t be enough enzymatic power in such a small amount of malt powder to convert much of anything. And wheat flour being unmalted it wouldn’t add any to the equation.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I'm trying my sourdough for pizza tonight, and the fermentation has been much different from normal pizza dough. Aside from more time left out to initially proof and more time out before baking, it's smelling amazing and is nice and soft. It was difficult to gauge hydration, and while I estimated a 1:1 ratio from the starter, I needed more flour to get it to have a more regular consistency still. It was also wetter and softer than a normal dough, so it managed to stick to my peel. My stick blender also decided to stop working, so sauce didn't get blended and was inconsistently soupy. Still tasted good, but I need to find a better cheese, this one is not geat and it got in the way of the crust tasting amazing.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

KinkyJohn posted:

Would making my own mozzarella to go on my homemade pizza be too far down on the autism spectrum?

It’s way better to find someone who makes it semi-locally and go buy it from them. Check a farmers market.

Mozzarella is delicious and fairly temperamental to make and not entirely worth the effort for a really small batch. Quality of milk selection is also very important as you can’t hide anything in an aging process.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

sirbeefalot posted:

Lately I've been flattening the dough ball with my fingertips until it's about 1/2 the final diameter, working out the thicker areas as much as possible. Then I'll pick it up with the backs of my hands near the edge and work my way around letting gravity do the final stretching.

The biggest things that helped consistency was balling the dough and storing it in a round container for a day or two before shaping.

No joke. The biggest thing is putting it cold and bringing it back out. I’ve had good shaping from even just a 6 hour cycle in the fridge. Really so much difference compared to just rising at ambient temp or a proofing contraption. That time spent mostly round with a taught skin has made so much difference in my pizza being round.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I was talking with my wife about the tomato process some more. She apparently was piercing them with her finger after they thawed to try to rupture some of the chambers. Without that, you don't pull enough water.

Also, she thinks my sauce is too thick and needs some more onion.

Also, would it hurt to stop and buy her flowers?

I honestly just prefer crushed tomatoes these days. There’s an organic variety on my grocery shelves that hits what I need for flavor and lower salt. When it’s in stock at least (then I buy 4).

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

toplitzin posted:

So much crust though... That's supposed to be a 12"+ pie.

How long did you leave it to ferment though? If you made it today it was always going to have issues with being elastic enough and rested enough to stretch for you. I can normally get away with 8-12 hours, but 24-48 is best.

I'd still eat it.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah, I just pull it out and leave it on the counter for two hours. I also oil my container because it's old and extra sticky, but then I can flour and they just come out one at a time no problem. They are not perfectly photogenic ever, but I don't have issues with it getting ropey and they hand stretch just fine.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

large hands posted:

That looks great, maybe just crumble the tortilla chips into small crumbs and sprinkle them on there with a little lime juice and cilantro. Wonder if you could do something with polenta to add some corn flavour...

I’ve been known to add Masa to my dough (25g to 375g flour) and then also use masa when I’m stretching. Adds a nice subtle corn flavor between the two and doesn’t seem to interfere with the dough at all. Alternatively, just mix up some quick masa dough and pinch out little pieces and top like anything else, or toss them into the oven for 45s or so until you have tiny tortilla pieces to top with. Flavor and texture is going to be really nice compared to the jagged glass texture of broken tortilla chips.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Brick cheese is just a semi-hard surface ripened cheese. It’s what you get when you do just sort of a standard boring middle of the road cheese making process and then press it into the shape of a brick (and also maybe use bricks to do it). Any sort of mild flavored cheese that melts well will stand in fine for flavor of what you’d find outside Wisconsin, so Monterey Jack is okay, but mixing it with low moisture mozz will get you the right consistency.

I very much find it interesting because that’s the type of poo poo-cheese you could buy in big blocks for cheap growing up, and it’s about as special as the mild cheddar that all the big commercial producers make.

Melts drat well on a pizza though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
I don’t think it was ever government cheese, but it was the cheap stuff at the grocery store in Wisconsin when I grew up. Government cheese would be the ultra processed stuff like American cheese, probably due to the ingredient cost being lower. I’m not sure that I’d use that on pizza myself. Burgers though…

Point is, brick cheese is fine, but really not special. Some are yellow, some are white.