Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird
pizza~~~

Margarita. husband and I are experimenting with a bread flour + semolina crust. Quick rise (2 hours), fresh basil, no-name mozzarella, sauce made from garden tomatoes. 500 degree old electric oven + a stone.

recipe mostly pulled from here

HolHorsejob fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Oct 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Mister Facetious posted:

Looks tasty, how was the bottom?

Bottom was... ok. We used quick grits for non-stickiness (was what we had on hand). Wasn't crispy, was pleasantly chewy, not especially bready. The outer crust had some crispy and chewy. Non-ideal texture, but getting there.

This is our... 5th attempt I believe. We're on the right track, but definitely still on the hunt for everything that will up our technique.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

How much gluten do you need for a good crust? For my last dough, I switched from all-purpose flour to a 60-40 mix of semolina and bread flour, and the difference was absolutely night and day. It went from fluffy, weakly flavored and difficult to stretch to a good body, easily thin stretched with a good depth of flavor.

Do flours actually list their protein content? Is this something I can find?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

PokeJoe posted:

I decided to brush some lye on the crust and added some salt to pretzelfy it. it was a good idea

Looks v good!!

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Overnight ferment on the dough. More bread flour than semolina. Bottom is homemade pesto sauce, mozzarella, parm, tomatoes, and shallot confit. Top is classic margarita. Both were absolutely transcendent.

E: how do you get a crust with good chewiness and delicate crisp to it? My crusts stretch well and have pretty good texture, but they could be better in that dept.

HolHorsejob fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Nov 7, 2021

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

I decided to yolo it and make crust with no thought of how to store it or anything. I'd like to let the yeast work on it for 3 days. Do I let it spend any time on the countertop before putting it into the fridge? I used 100 degree water in it

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

ok, so zero counter time?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

What kinds of mushrooms go well on a pizza? What do they go with? I just tried oyster mushrooms, lightly fried with butter and garlic to knock out most of their water.

I put them onto a pesto pizza with thin sliced tomato and they got kinda lost on it. Flavor was good but didn't go with the rest, tomatoes and mushrooms together added too much water.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Ok, so the principle is sound (precook to prevent them from dumping water onto your pizza as they cook), just make sure they're not squaring off against another strong-flavored ingredient.

I always thought oyster mushrooms cooked to a relatively firm texture, but I guess I'm mistaken? They ended up kind of mushy

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Also, not to keep bombing the thread, but how long can you let a yeast dough work in your fridge? At 3 days the crust was tasty, but we didn't finish it and are thinking of doing it again at 5 days. Is 5-6 days courting disaster?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Update:

It's good. The texture, workability, & flavor were even better at 5 days. We eased up on the cook time a little bit and it turned out fantastic. Thin and chewy.

Next up: Easing off the strong flavors and balancing. Cheese pizza and margherita are pretty much there, but pepperoni and pesto-base pizzas just have way too many powerful, competing flavors and I'm not sure how to ease it up. Goat cheese and feta are too intense as well.

What are your favorite topping combos? We're thinking of a grilled pineapple hawaiian, or maybe a cilantro, grilled corn & onion base next.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

I started pizza dough an hour ago and miscalculated the flour (instead of 1150g flour + semolina, I put in about 1025g). I ran it in the stand mixer for about 10 minutes and it came out awfully thin and sticky. When I realized what I had done, I kneaded in the rest of the flour for a minute or two and crossed my fingers. Is it likely to come out ok? Is this the kind of thing you can take a mulligan on?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

What do folks use to make their peel nice and slidey? I'm using cornmeal but I can rarely make the pizza slide easy unless I use way too much

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

lurker2006 posted:

Any opinions on using 10-25% semolina in a recipe?

A friend gave me his recipe for new york style, which is pretty much a 50-50 mix of semolina and bread flour. it's intended for a sourdough ferment, but even with bread yeast, it's killer. Fantastic chew, great color, stellar flavor.

On that note, I went to find semolina at a chef supply store, only to find it in 50 lb bags exclusively. I picked up a 25 lb bag of this instead. Graincraft Power. 13% protein, unbleached. Was like $14, SF bay area. Anyone have experience using it?

bees x1000 posted:

SUCCESS! Turns out when you

1. use a good recipe,
2. use proper high-gluten flour,
3. develop the gluten properly and
4. shape the dough properly,

hand stretching is wildly simple. :v:

Congrats! I hit this experience on probably my fifth or sixth attempt. It's incredibly gratifying that first time you line everything up and really knock it out of the park. Any pics? What kinda toppings?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Brick whole is hard to find. Not even most delis have it ime.

Restaurant supply stores if you've got one in your area. I picked up like 5 lb whole milk mozzarella for less than $15.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Is there really a national pizza day?

Good thing I made this pizza. Trying out a new flour (Graincraft Power), so far so good. Great stretch, very sticky dough. The dough did not want to stop being a ball though

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Upgrade posted:

Kind of a hybrid Detroit/NY

gently caress that looks tasty. I can feel the slight crisp with the chewiness from here

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

BraveUlysses posted:

Got a mandolin?

oh god, those machines might as well be purpose-made to send you to the ER for stitches.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Anyone have an especially good white sauce? I'm making duck confit and I was thinking of setting aside some for a pizza. I do a thin-crust kinda deal, and was thinking something like a creamy garlic white sauce, mozzarella, a few duck morsels, some kind of fresh herb, and a light brushing of olive oil cut with duck fat.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

It is... that night again.

I am still at a loss for how to prevent my dough from sticking to the peel by the time I'm ready to throw it onto the stone. I give it a generous helping of semolina and I make sure it can slide around before I put on sauce & toppings. However, in the 30-45 seconds it takes for me to put on toppings, it invariably sticks enough that I end up shaking cheese/toppings off it as I try to shimmy it onto the stone.

What's a pizza chef to do?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Just threw first pizza in. It's likely overfermented, it's at 10 days in the fridge I think. I gave the doughball a ton of semolina, and had problems with it tearing. It was a difficult-to-manage mess, but hopefully will come out tasty at least. Next one gets floured I guess.

Peel is aluminum, and is hard to keep from getting to countertop temperature. I have a wooden one I use mostly for serving (it gets hot after the first pizza).

e: second one is tasty, but keeping it from sticking required an enormous amount of semolina (a tbsp or two on a single doughball), and it ended up dustier than I would have liked

HolHorsejob fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Apr 1, 2022

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Tandoori chicken pie is a good rear end pie but drat if dressing it wasn’t a colossal pain in the rear end

holy poo poo that looks amazing. Is that cast iron baked? Do you start from a cold cast iron?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Making pizza with friends tomorrow. I was making pizza every other week earlier this year and started to get pretty good at it, but that all stopped when my life blew up from a bad divorce. Now that I'm in a better living setup, I'm hoping that getting back on a creative endeavor I enjoy (making delicious pizza) will be a path towards wellness after this disastrous year of my life.

Anyway, for this recipe, I've done a 10-day ferment on my dough. Hopefully my friend's friend is good at making sauce. toppings will be sassage, basil, tomato, prosciutto, olives and pears.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Gwaihir posted:

In the mood for some detroit pie this weekend and ended up giving a no knead focaccia type dough a try, and it came out bangin, and dead simple, too. 500/350/15/5g Flour/water/salt/yeast, mix in to shaggy ball, cover and let sit out on the counter for a day.

(Side note but wegmans brand pep aren't nearly as tasty as boar's head stick pepperoni, I definitely hosed up with that choice)

That looks tasty as hell. Also man I miss Wegmans

I wanna make a thick crust some time soon. I'm gearing up to make my standard thin crust for the first time in like six months, just to get my feet back under me. Thick crust in cast iron comes next.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Trastion posted:

Ok i wont bother with a docker for now then.

Any other tools I might want to get? Good things to tell the wife and kids to get me for Father's Day...

Also what's the go to dough recipe?

My recipe:

1150g high protein flour + semolina (can be up to half & half, usually I do like 4:1 flour:semolina)
1 tsp dry yeast
2.5 tbs olive oil
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
700g water (30C or so)

Bloom yeast in water + sugar, mix in stand mixer on medium low w/ dough hook until you get something that sticks to the bottom but not the sides + an additional 3 minutes. Divvy up into 4-6 doughballs, ferment in fridge for 3-14 days.

For pizza-specific accessories, all I have is a stone and a metal peel. I do everything by weight when possible though.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

I just made dough by hand for the first time. Hooray!

I hosed up and added way too much wate. Instead of 400-something grams for a 71.3% hydration, I misread the column and added 713 grams instead. I didn't realize until I mixed everything together and it was goop.

I adjusted and mixed in an equivalent amount of flour, salt and oil to scale the recipe. However, I forgot to add yeast in the addition, and when I mixed it all together, it didn't seem especially homogenous. I kneaded it around for another 5-6 minutes and the consistency looked right (sticking to the bottom but not the sides), but now I'm worried things aren't mixed enough, and there might not be enough yeast all throughout.

Should I worry about this? I dunno. I can always throw out the batch and try again

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

bengy81 posted:

You can always make a slurry of yeast and a small amount of water (like a couple tsp.) And mix it in. Or you can just let it ferment longer. It doesn't take much yeast to make dough. As an example, I made 1.5kg of dough (2 batches) yesterday and I think I used 2g of yeast total, and that was only because my scale won't measure less than a gram or I would have done like 1.2g instead. I wanted the dough for today, but if I were going to ferment it for 48 hours or longer I could have split a gram between the two batches.

Gonna take the second option. This dough is going to ferment for about 48 hours, hopefully it's enough. My pizza is usually really solid, but this is a different flour, slightly different recipe, and usually it ferments for 1-2 weeks.

I added like a teaspoon of yeast into ~550g flour for the initial mix, hope it got mixed in properly. When I added the extra flour and worked it into the goop, it was immediately very chunky, but seemed to smooth together a bit as I adjusted the water and went through the knead

bengy81 posted:

pizza dough is much better if it has time to ferment properly.

Seconded. Speaking of which, last week's pizza night~~

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

I have just been gifted a costway wood-pellet pizza oven. Anyone have experience with this one? I can't find any documentation on it, and the manual only shows how to assemble it.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Had to trim my pizza peel to fit in this lil pizza oven. Coming from baking in a normal oven, are there any special considerations for making a pizza to be baked in one of these things? (doughball mass, topping mass, hydration, etc.)

e: 5000!

HolHorsejob fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jun 24, 2023

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

StarkingBarfish posted:

Given you've had to reduce the size of your peel down I'm guessing you'll be making smallish pizzas so that will for sure reduce the dough mass if you were making bigger pizzas in a standard oven, but beyond that It's hard to tell what hydration and topping amounts without knowing what temperature that oven gets up to and what style you're aiming for.

If it can hit temps north of 400C you're in neapolitan territory, where lower hydration works well (60% or so) since you are cooking fast and the dough rises quickly enough that it doesn't need moisture to keep it soft long enough to rise. That comes with a need for smaller topping amounts and drier toppings (ie; more pulp and less liquid in the passata).

If it's not much hotter than a domestic oven (300C or so) then higher hydration (70%) lets you get a similar crust before it dries out in the necessarily longer cooking times. If it's really not better than a domestic you're better doing a double bake: Adding the tomato, baking until the crust is just coloring, and then adding the cheese to finish baking since otherwise the cheese will burn before the crust and base are cooked.

Both of those methods will get you a more neapolitan style pizza. If you're aiming for NY, taverna or the likes a lower temp is fine anyway and you can follow the usual recipes.

On my last pizza, I managed 500C when it tossed it in. Ended up with a burnt bottom by the time I got solid browning on top.

My dough is about 70% hydration and I found that 250g was a bit excessive. I gotta work on my gluten development, cause I had trouble getting them thin, and the pizzas were not cooked enough on the inside.

Bottom line, getting the top and bottom to cook evenly is a pain, and this machine adds a third layer to time against the other two. That aside, it's a fun little machine and the pizza was really good.

Managing a wood fire adds some complication to the whole affair. After initial preheating, I found I had to fuel it once after pulling the pizza out and once before putting the next one in. The wood pellets were adding an unpleasant aroma if I didn't give them time to char a bit before pitching the pizza in. Would charcoal help with that?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

For those of us using instant yeast, can I just fold unused doughballs into new batches ad infinitum like a sourdough starter?

Clark Nova posted:

big thanks to whoever recommended adding a little spelt to your pizza dough a couple of pages back :discourse:

What does spelt flour do to your crust?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

I hosed up and made a 2+ kg batch of pizza dough using AP flour instead of pizza flour before realizing my mistake. It's way too sticky to use and I'm not sure what to do with it. Can I let it ferment for a bit, then fold it into another batch of pizza dough like a sourdough starter? I have a friend's recipe for sourdough that calls for a 1:4 mix of starter:everything else.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

I made focaccia with my "whoopsie" pizza dough last night. It was tasty, but decidedly not focaccia.

I folded one of the doughballs into a new batch of pizza dough (this time with the correct flour), did a 3-hour ferment, and it made for passable pizza. Thank you for coming to my TED talk.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Anyone good with a pellet-fired oven? I have a costway pizza oven (ooni knockoff), and I've been having a hard time controlling heat.

The first issues is that either I burn the top or the bottom comes out light-baked. I've thrown everywhere between 750 and 950 degrees, let them cook under a raging fire, a dying fire, adding wood at any point in the cycle... No matter what I do, I consistently get fully lightly baked crusts. My doughballs are about 200g, and I always shoot to stretch over the pizza stone or get close to it.

The other issue is that I have a hard time getting the wood pellets to keep the oven hot during a whole bake cycle. I usually add a scoop of wood after pulling out a pizza to let all the wet, oily smoke move through before throwing the next. I've found that the fire usually goes out completely by the time the pizza is done, but if I add more than one, the fire is out of control and the next pizza burns.

How do you manage heat in your oven?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

MrYenko posted:

I have an Ooni Fyra; Generally I get the oven up to full-blast-furnace temp to get the stone screaming hot. Then I’ll mostly-close the flue and immediately launch a pizza. As the crust finishes, if the toppings haven’t started to brown to satisfaction, I’ll open the flue a bit more for the last thirty or forty seconds. Full-open flue will almost always burn the top before the crust finishes.

Maybe I should make a flue for mine. I can get the stone up to 950, but I've ended up with blackened bottoms at that temp.

On another note, I tried using charcoal tonight. The results were not great. I broke the charcoal into big thumb-sized pieces, loaded up the burner and let it get good and hot, but it reached a temp of about 575-625 and wouldn't get any hotter from there.

I threw on a half-scoop of wood to get some fire across the tops, and managed to get a little browning, but at the end of the session, I wasn't able to get quick or thorough enough cooking on any of my pizzas.

Is there a trick to it? Do I just need to break down the charcoal a bit finer? Or will I have to rig up some kind of forced draft attachment to get it more air?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Yeah the fire management is a pain in the rear end and makes it difficult to manage when it's just one person cooking. The wood pellets burn nice and hot and throw flame across the top, but they need to be added every few minutes, and if you add them during a cook cycle, you get an oily taste on your pizza from the gross stuff as the wood just starts to burn.

That's why I wanted to try charcoal. I was hoping to get something where I could just load once between pizzas and forget about it, and while it does burn for much longer, it also doesn't burn anywhere near as hot. I'm kinda scratching my head about that, since charcoal combustion doesn't produce water, but it looks like it's just not drafting as effectively.

I've seen some people post oven mods where they add a USB fan or GPU blower and a little sheet metal work to turn the oven into a forced convection oven. I think between this and a rotating stone mod, it could make the process a lot easier and more consistent.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Anyone ever make naan? I've heard you can make naan in an ooni, and I'm curious if anyone here has done this and has a recipe.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Naan made! I ended up going with one I found on reddit that some poster specifically worked up for a pizza oven. Gave it a 3 hour ferment, followed by a foldover, divvy-up, and 2 more hours to rise.

It's killer. These are the first 2 pieces, before I worked out the technique. The dough was incredibly sticky and difficult to separate from anything I put it on, but with a little patience, I could separate most of it, fold it over once, spread it thin, and blast it with fire.

The hot stone and the flame overhead gave it a lovely puff & browning, and my gf hit it with a brushing of butter. It was as good as the best I've had in a restaurant.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Ditto on #1. I did a test where I made pizza with the same batch of dough at the Day 1/3/5/9/14 marks, and the taste peaked at about a week.

As for #2, I'd agree that 1 packet is too much for a single pie, but how much depends on how big your doughballs are. As long as you have enough, the amount of yeast is immaterial. Most of the flavor comes from the length and quality of the ferment. The author of The Breadbaker's Apprentice describes it as teasing out all the flavor from each granule of flour.

For flavor, the factors I've found to be important are:

- Relatively fresh, professional-grade, unbleached flour. I paid $12 for a 25 lb bag of 00 pizza flour at my restaurant supply store, which will probably last me 4-5 months.
- Flour additives - A small addition of good-quality semolina or spelt flour
- Patient fridge ferment - I give mine maybe an hour on the countertop and 3+ days in the fridge. If I don't end up using it, I roll it into the next batch in the hopes of establishing a sourdough starter.
- Everything else - Nice olive oil, add salt before rolling out, wood-fired oven if you have one, browning, etc.

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I did it ages ago in my first WFO and it was quite simple and fast. They really puffed the hell up so I would wonder how a shorter oven would do.

My schemes to make a tandoori oven so far have been suppressed though.

I tried it out yesterday and it was fantastic. Simple 3 hour countertop ferment, a 2 hour rise, then into the pizza oven it went. It was easily as good as the best naan I've paid money for at a restaurant, I'm definitely doing this whenever I'm craving indian food. Might even make for a segue into indian pizza.

A tandoor is the dream but yeah, quite a commitment of space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Jhet posted:

Do you have a restaurant supply store in the area? The ones here I can go in and buy bulk like a restaurant. But they’ll have giant 5-7# blocks of the stuff.

This. A lot of restaurant supply stores sell to the general public. I buy 5-lb blocks or bags of shredded whole-milk mozz for like $13 (bay area, so you know it's cheap). They also tend to carry all kinds of flour and prep equipment for reasonably cheap.