Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

FogHelmut posted:

It cooks slower than using a stone, and it's all enclosed so the top kinda gets steamed. However, the crust on the bottom comes out pretty decent. I'm trying to find some other things to use it for because I do prefer my stone.

Crepes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Nostrum did a big writeup of his method a little while back: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3441635&pagenumber=1&perpage=40#post396303468

He uses the self clean cycle on his oven.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
If you had a stone and let it heat up for 40 min or so, I'm willing to bet you could get some incredible temperatures in your oven.

As for your pizza not cooking in the middle, stretching the dough a bit thinner might help, as will going lighter on the toppings (although it doesn't look like you did.)

angor fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jan 25, 2012

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

wormil posted:

Anyone used granite or quartz countertop pieces for pizza stones? I googled it a bit and found something about Jamie Oliver recommending granite. Would be heavy though.

I know this was from forever ago, but how well would this work?

My uncle is doing his kitchen and has some MASSIVE off cuts coming. I can easily get a pizza stone (or 45) out of it. 30mm thick, too :D

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

duffmensch posted:

Can anyone in Phoenix recommend where I can get some quarry paving stone to use for cooking? So far I haven't had any luck with Home Depot, Lowes or Floor & Decor Oulets in Tempe. I'm not sure if I'm just wording it wrong when I ask for it or if I am expecting what they do have to be closer to my Bed Bath and Beyond stone.

When I lived in Phoenix I went to Home Depot and got unglazed tiles. I think they were meant for roofing maybe? They're in 6"x6" squares. I bought 12 and double stacked them. Worked a charm!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Finally! Pizzas that I'm happy to show off to strangers on the internet :D. I used Alton Brown's dough recipe from Flat is Beautiful but I used 'Tipo 00' flour. Kneaded by hand (30 min). This dough ended up spending about 75 hours in the fridge, then bench proofed for 30min-1hr (it takes time to make and eat pizza :D). Hand shaped using this guy's method: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SjYqw1CLZsA

On to the pics. Click for massive.

First one was done without sauce. Olive oil, garlic and herbs, topped with mozzarella, chillies, onions and peppers.

Money shot.

Next one was a Thai pizza. Peanut sauce, mozzarella, onions and chillies. Cooked, then topped with a salad of bean sprouts, coriander (cilantro), carrots, soy sauce and toasted sesame oil. loving excellent.

Closeup.

Crumb shot.

Then we tried a dessert pizza. This.....needs some work. We spread Nutella on the base then baked it. It burned a little. Topped with strawberries then whipped cream.

Now, I have a question. I've been using Tipo 00 and cooking at ~500f on a pizza stone. I've heard that Tipo 00 really shines when it comes to ovens that get hot as gently caress, but isn't great for home setups. Would moving to a bread flour yield better results? If I'm using Alton Brown's recipe, should I be tweaking anything (water, etc.) when using Tipo 00?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
This is fantastic advice, thank you. I am planning on getting up to the 800+ wood fired mark a little bit later, so I now know what to expect.

I've made 2 batches of dough this time, one with tipo 00 and one with a high gluten bread flour. Both made, kneaded and refrigerated under the exact same conditions and ingredients. It'll be fun when I can see the difference side by side! Stay tuned for pictures on Monday :).

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

ColHannibal posted:

So I am really considering getting a stand mixer just for pizza dough. I kinda hate baking but want to be able to make awesome smooth dough like you guys and I always get crap when using my hands. Can anyone post a good recipe that gives more details for using your hands and not a standardized mixer?

I posted a couple of pizzas a few pages back. They were all kneaded by hand for at least 30 min solid. Yes, it gets painful, but it's the only way to do it without a stand mixer. It's kinda therapeutic after a while :D.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
This is gonna sound super crazy, but......can't you just flip the stone over?

Edit: I would totally eat the hell out of that mushroom pizza, holy poo poo. Mushroom pesto recipe?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Jedit posted:

I'm looking to get my mother a pizza stone for her birthday. Any recommendations? The site with the Fibrament stones linked to earlier doesn't seem to be working any more.

This is what I ordered. Shipping took ages, but it's awesome. Even came with a (cheapo) peel! http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0039S44TI/ref=oh_details_o06_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Woah.
The reviews are pretty bad, so I'll give you my experience with it.
Yes, the peel is lovely. I can take a picture of mine when I get home tonight. I haven't had any issues with it though. Slides pizzas into the oven and pulls them out with relative ease.
Yes, the corners are a little crumbly. Who loving cares?
As far as the complaints that it's just a slab of stone....duh?
You can get stones cheaper, but the appealing thing about this one was the 1" thickness. Most pizza stones we get in the UK are way less than that. Thicker stone=better temp holding performance.

If you want to see what pizzas look like off this thing, check out the ones I posted in the pizza thread.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Too much for my kitchen scale (maxes out at 5kg) to handle.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I'm no authority on food safety, but isn't garlic+olive oil a massive invitation to botulism poisoning?

Edit: That does sound delicious as gently caress though.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

demonR6 posted:

Good lord how much does that slab of stone weigh?

This was from forever ago, but I knocked out some awesome pitas yesterday and remembered to weigh the stone I got. 6kg. :D

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

indoflaven posted:

Anyone think a cast iron pizza stone would have any big difference over a regular pizza stone?

Would this be much different than the Baking Steel?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I'm trying my hand at a 100% whole wheat pizza dough.

800g Whole Wheat Flour (600g 'very strong', 200g plain whole wheat) - 100%
700g Water - 87.5%
12g Yeast - 2%
20g Salt - 3%
38g Honey - 5%
22g Olive Oil - 3%

It is VERY wet and VERY sticky. I 'kneaded' it once and let it rise till doubled, kneaded again, another rise, kneaded again, another rise. Think I read that method somewhere. Forming them will be a pain in the rear end. Might par-cook them first before topping. I'll be sure to take some pictures!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I had pretty decent luck getting those little 4x4in tiles and placing them on an oven rack 2x3 and 2 tall (12 tiles altogether.)

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Jmcrofts posted:

Fresh makes my pizza soggy and has to be sliced instead of shredded. I always go whole blocks of low-moisture part-skim and then shred them onto my pizza.

What you're talking about is nearly impossible to find in the UK, and I have absolutely no idea why. It's infuriating. Can't even get it at Costco :(

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I used this recipe: http://goo.gl/gWmQq2 to make pizza. The dough proofed overnight in a 21C-22C room, and more than doubled. Total rise time was about 17 hrs. I took it out of the bowl, and it was SUPER sticky! Extremely hard to work with. I managed to get 3/4 of it into a container and in the fridge; that will be focaccia later this week.

For the pizza, I finally managed to stretch the dough out on a baking sheet (lined with parchment), topped it, got it into the oven for 12 min at 420F. Came out awful. The crust barely rose and was very dense and chewy (not the good kind of chewy).

Where did I go wrong? My ingredients were measured out on a scale, so I don't think that was the problem. Maybe I handled the dough too much? It was almost like a thick batter rather than a dough.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I had posted a few non-traditional pizzas a long rear end time ago in this thread.

Thai pizza. Peanut sauce, mozzarella, onions and chillies. Cooked, then topped with a salad of bean sprouts, coriander (cilantro), carrots, soy sauce and toasted sesame oil. loving excellent.

We also did a 'Mexican' one that I didn't get pictures of, unfortunately. It was fairly identical to California Pizza Kitchen's one, though. Black bean sauce, cheese, bake. Top with shredded lettuce, fried corn tortilla strips, tomatoes, some sort of creamy garlic dressing, etc. Nice to have something different sometimes!

drat, I need to make pizza again :smith:

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I've tried that foolproof pan pizza a couple times, and while it's ridiculously simple, I feel that by the time the top is done, the bottom never gets crispy enough. I think it takes way too much time to heat the cast iron properly. Would an aluminium or other light pan give me a crispier crust on the bottom?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Why not use your fav bbq sauce and just thin it out with water or tomato sauce?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Finally have a chance to try out my new stone!

I looked up a million recipes and couldn't decide on one, so I kinda just...smashed them all together. I used a strong bread flour and decided to include oil and sugar (Neapolitan recipes didn't call for it, others did). Kneaded for 20 min, rested a bit, then kneaded for another 30 min. It still didn't windowpane completely, but it got fairly bouncy and I figure it'll develop further while it rises. And my arms are falling off
Planning on a 29-30hr rise in the fridge.

Please tell me I haven't hosed this up:
pre:
Flour      1159g - 100%
Water      730g  - 62.99%
Yeast      17g   - 1.47%
Salt       30g   - 2.59%
Olive Oil  24g   - 2.07%
Sugar      17g   - 1.47%

angor fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Mar 20, 2015

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
We pizza'd yesterday!

The dough turned out alright. When I put the dough in the fridge my cling film job sucked and I ended up having to surgically remove about 250g of dried dough, but other than that it was fine.

Cheese!

Bottom:

Spinach and feta:

Crumb:

The crust was light and chewy, but I would have loved it if it had a bit more spring and a more open crumb. I suspect it needs higher hydration (this was 63% with strong bread flour), more kneading (this was 50 min by hand, but didn't quite windowpane), and a longer ferment (30 hrs in the fridge for this guy, but I have 2 more left that I plan on making on Tuesday).

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I thought an overnight vinegar bath takes care of that. Or is that just the weird poo poo they put on afterwards?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

Stefan Prodan posted:

What kinda oven are you doing that with and how did you hack it?

Probably by snipping the lock and running on the self-clean cycle.

Stefan Prodan posted:

Also, 900 degrees and on the counter? Is that safe, like, at all?

LOL, no. But hey, pizza.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

clockworx posted:

I was exaggerating a bit as far as "burning your house down". The outside gets hot, but so does my toaster oven, I just take some precautions to ensure it is out of the way during cooking/cooldown.

Biggest issue for me is getting hit with hot steam when lifting the lid to remove or turn the pizza. I got an oven mitt that goes to my forearm, and also hold my arm sideways rather than straight in front of the handle.

You could fashion a coat hanger and pull the door from a distance, right? I imagine it's the initial blast of steam that's difficult to deal with. Also, maybe get a peel with a long handle?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Oooh, can I crosspost the pizza I posted in the dinner thread?

Mozzarella, fresh mozzarella, capers.

Crumb.

Mozzarella, onion, pesto, parmesan. (Pesto and parmesan went on post cook.)

Crumb.

Mozzarella, spinach, mushrooms, cotija.

Mozzarella, mushroom, smoked paprika, cotija. Also minced a chipotle in adobo and mixed it into the sauce for this one. It was the last pizza, and probably the best of the lot.

Char (kinda).

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Yesterday I started a no-knead dough destined for pizza tomorrow. I came home from work and was supposed to throw it in the fridge, but instead I drank a few glasses of single malt and went to sleep. It's in the fridge now, but it spent a good 21 hours between 71ºF - 75ºF.

Will the dough be alright? Should I make a backup batch?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Will report tomorrow!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Definitely stealing that breakfast pizza idea! I might pre-roast the brussel sprouts so they're nice and crispy.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
The last few times I've made pizza I've had EXCELLENT results using a no-knead recipe. I mix, let rest 12-18 hours on the counter, fridge for a day or so, shape, and bench proof until no longer cold. Last time I skipped the fridge altogether and just went with a 15hr rise, shaped, 1hr bench proof.

I know the long rise is when the gluten formation happens, but I don't think it's enough as I'm still having slight issues with tearing. What's the best way to build up the gluten with this method? Should I knead for a few minutes before the long rest? Knead for a few minutes halfway through? Add vital wheat gluten to the flour? Here's my recipe:

600g all purpose flour
420g water
5g yeast
14g salt

I'm also thinking of adding a bit of oil this time to help with colour.

Edit: Can't bring this thread back from the dead without pics!
This was from last time:

angor fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Dec 1, 2015

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Just don't ever stop using it. Pizza all day every day.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

nwin posted:

I'm having trouble with pizza and I think it's my oven.

I have a 3/8" pizza steel and a gas oven-last week I let it preheat for 1.5 hours at 500(max setting) and I barely got any browning on the bottom.

Would the oven temp be the only problem here or could dough composition play a role?

What position was the steel in inside the oven? How long did your pizzas take to cook? If the steel was quite high, you might be better off moving it down closer to the bottom so the top cooks a little slower and has more time to sit on the steel.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

PT6A posted:

Am I correct that the 00 flour I found at the supermarket, which says "tipo 00 soft flour", is not actually the same thing as the high-protein 00 flour I should use for pizza dough?

I was so excited to have finally encountered 00 flour, but I'm pretty sure it's wrong, because it makes things far too "crumbly," for lack of a better description.

I've always heard that tipo 00 is really only beneficial once you start cooking at 800ºF+.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

FogHelmut posted:

Tried grilling in my Weber. A chimney full of charcoal gets me upwards of 600 dome temp for steaks. I did the same but with the stone. After 20 minutes it's still at 450. Any tips for grill pizza?

I haven't done the grill+stone for pizza yet, but when I do pizza in the oven on a stone, I need to preheat for like an hour. Maybe 20 minutes just isn't long enough?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I, too, made pizza. Getting pretty drat happy with the effort/result ratio I've been getting lately!

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Made pizza again on Sunday and they turned out great! Pics coming soon.

I've got 600g of dough left over that I need to use up. I figure I'd use half of it for a deep dish cast iron pizza, but what can I use the rest of it for?

Here's the recipe I used for the dough. No-knead, 12 hr initial rise, punched down and proofed in the fridge for a few days.
600g flour
420g water
14g salt
5g yeast

I was thinking maybe doing some rolls, or even just lumping into a dutch oven and making bread. Any other cool ideas?

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
My life changed when I honed in my no knead recipe. It's so incredibly simple and the results you get are phenomenal for the amount of effort required.

This was this past Sunday:

Started off with something simple

Pesto!

Olive oil, salt, rosemary. No sauce, no cheese.

Chipotle sauce, onions, smoked paprika.

Duxelles (no sauce) and cheese.

Breakfast! Asparagus and egg.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I got pizza problems!!!

I measured out a no-knead dough tonight that I plan on baking on Saturday. I had everything measured out. 600g flour, 420g water, 2.5g yeast, 20g salt. However, like an rear end-clown, I messed up and added an equal amount of water as my flour so now I'm at 100% (600g + 600g). I only have 115g of flour left, which only takes me to 84% which is still WAY too wet for what I was aiming for. I'm going to let this 100% sit overnight.

My question is, is it still useable? Can I buy more flour tomorrow and add 257g (to get back up to 70%) flour, incorporate, and throw it in the fridge to ferment for a few days? Or am I better off starting from scratch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst

iospace posted:

Turn it into bread?

It's essentially a batter. I attempted a few stretch and folds just now and transferred (poured) it into a smaller oiled bowl. I'm going to let it rise and then try and pour it gently into a ripping hot Dutch oven. Will report back! Starting the pizza dough from scratch.

Edit: Turned out not terrible! Results here: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3511135&pagenumber=88#post482400765

angor fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Mar 22, 2018