Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

indoflaven posted:

Good pizza sauce can be found in a can, concentrate on the other ingredients and you'll have a better pizza.

But if you concentrate on making a better pizza sauce, your pizza will be better then too?? :confused:

My recipe: Plop a 28 oz can of whole peeled roma tomatoes into a bowl or other vessel conducive to immersion blending. If the liquid is thin, just leave it out for now. Add a squirt of honey or a pinch of sugar, a couple minced garlic cloves, some red pepper flakes, lots of dried oregano and a little basil if you want, plus salt. Puree to desired consistency with immersion blender (I like a little texture). If it looks a little weak, add some tomato paste. Or, strain in a mesh sieve. If it's too thick, add some of the liquid that was in the can. Sauces 2 14-inch pizzas generously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

CzarChasm posted:

My recipe is very similar, but I like it on the chunky side, so I use a can of crushed tomatoes, no blending, but simmered for a while to concentrate into a sauce.

I prefer an uncooked sauce. But using crushed tomatoes as opposed to whole, and then cooking on top of it, would seem to create the opposite of a chunky sauce? Why not use whole and hand crush for a better texture, especially if you're going to be cooking it which breaks the tomatoes down even more?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Casu Marzu posted:

JS Online sucks.

Yeah but Sandy D'Amato doesn't. Dunno wtf is up with that recipe though, apparently he's gone slightly off the deep end.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

ObesePriest posted:

Also any tips on how to get a bit more color on the crust? Should I brush it with butter or something?

Cook your pizzas longer. Especially your first one, you don't have any color on your toppings or crust. They're underdone. (You can also use a dough recipe that includes a bit of honey or sugar, but your underdone toppings indicate you should just bake longer first.) Did you roll your dough with a rolling pin? That will contribute to your rising issues. Just stretch your dough into shape.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Oracle posted:

For all those complaining about sticky peels, is there some religious reason people don't use pizza screens? They're like two bucks at the local restaurant supply store and they come in a range of sizes from personal to jesus christ that won't even fit in a home oven. Just build your pizza right on it and use your peel to slide it in the oven. No muss, no fuss, still get that stone contact through the screen, easy peasy.

I have a few pizza screens and use them a ton. If you're making pizza on them though, you either use the screen, or you use the stone, not really together. The dough doesn't come in contact with the stone if it's on a screen. But if you use just the screen, it allows the heat from the coil at the bottom of your oven to penetrate directly to the crust, kind of like broiling it. They're both good for different things. Personally I use my screen for lots of other things, like garlic bread, reheating pizza, frozen pizza, stuff like that where you want a crisp bottom.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

This thread has a distinct lack of tavern-style pizza. Dough dockin' 4 lyfe

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

smarion2 posted:

What exactly is "Tavern-style" pizza? It looks pretty drat good.

Thin, crispy, leavened crust. Generally round, and always cut into squares (that's called tavern or party cut). Most prominent in Chicago, Milwaukee, and around the midwest. It's good stuff.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Mr. Wookums posted:

A more generic is http://slice.seriouseats.com/archiv...zza-recipe.html

I have not tried the posted method or recipe.

Bar pies and tavern style are not the same, but that of course looks delicious. I don't think I've ever had a bar pie.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I use a handy table for yeast measurements: http://www.theartisan.net/convert_yeast_two.htm

That way if your scale doesn't register such small amounts or whatever, at least you can use teaspoon measures. As long as you're pretty close, adding slightly more or less yeast won't gently caress up your dough.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

There's "emergency" dough recipes for various types of crust over on the pizzamaking.com forums. Most ferment for 2-5 hours, and I've enjoyed all my short rise doughs.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

OtherworldlyInvader posted:

I experimented with making a pan-style pizza in a half-sheet pan, for a quick and easy pizza to feed a bunch of guests without slaving away in the kitchen. It turned out pretty much how I wanted it to, except I wasn't able to get the bottom crust to fry and turn golden brown. Most of the pan pizza recipes I see are in a cast iron skillet, which I thought would insulate the pizza more than it would cook it for the heat and cook times I'm dealing with (550F/~15 minutes) but I guess I was wrong. Either way, switching to cast iron would sort of defeat the purpose (making a big 'ol pizza quick and easy). Anyone have any ideas? Am I on a fool's errand? I definitely prefer a Neapolitan or NY style cooked directly on a stone, but making and baking more than a couple of those takes a long time and a lot of effort.

The pizza in question:

I've used Kenji's recipe a few times and it's worked well: http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/07/basic-square-pan-pizza-dough-recipe-sicilian-recipe.html

It seems you may need more oil on the pan, and you can try using a lower rack in your oven to get it closer to the heating element. That should fix your problems.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Sointenly posted:

The whole thing about slathering on a ton of butter on the dough and then folding it into layers is irking me a bit. I cant tell you exactly why, but there's something off-putting about it.

I think i'm going to give this a go first and see how it turns out.
http://www.realdeepdish.com/RDDHolyGrail.pdf

Oh, I did like her sauce recipe though, might pick pocket that.

Folding butter into the dough is called laminating and it's how places like Giordano's end up with layers. It's also how you make croissants and puff pastry, etc. It's not really off-putting at all when you think of it in those contexts. Also, it's important to note that the places that use laminated dough are usually also serving stuffed pizza, not deep dish.

The press-in-pan dough you linked will give you a crust more like Gino's. It's more dense, crunchier and slightly corn-flavored from the oil. Both are good, just different styles.

And I saw that 6-in-1 tomatoes were mentioned in that recipe you linked. I'm gonna say here again that those are by far the best canned tomatoes I've ever used. So much so that I don't bother making pizzas now if I don't have the 6-in-1s. You can use it straight from the can without draining, or even without adding any seasoning, and it's perfect.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Sointenly posted:

Thank's for this. I saw some people on pizzamaking.com talking about a "top layer" for their deep dish and was confused, I assume this is the stuffed pizza you are referring to.

I'll be starting with a simple DD.

About the laminating, I get it. I guess the WFO pizza nerd in me didn't want to believe that such a thing existed. The idea of taking a rolling pin to dough is hard enough to come to grips with. That being said, this is obviously a different beast and I cant argue with the results.

Well, you're already making a pizza by pressing the dough into a pan kind of like a pie, so rolling isn't really too far off. Besides, most crisp non-NY style thin crust pizzas are rolled out.

And yeah the top layer is for stuffed pizza. They generally have softer, more bread-like dough than deep dish. And the layering goes bottom crust, toppings, cheese, top crust, then sauce. Deep dish is usually crust, cheese, toppings, sauce.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Gann Jerrod posted:

You could try putting it on the stove for a minute or two after baking, that might help.

That's actually written into the last step of the recipe, if needed. I've made the recipe a couple times and needed to. Just depends on your oven and all that fun stuff. It's great to get it nice and crisp on the stove though, and only takes another minute or two.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Made Kenji's cast iron skillet tortilla pizza at 2 am tonight. Everyone should make this pizza holy crap. Ridiculous pay off for such little effort. Use less sauce than you think you need. This is also a fantastic pizza to make for parties, since once the skillet and broiler are hot, it takes like 5-6 minutes per pizza start to finish. You can whip these things out.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

swansong posted:

I came in thinking I was all set with my crust but there's pizza jargon here I've never even heard before...

More important to me: what do you pros do for sauce? Right now I kinda just add some Sriracha and herbs to a can of tomato sauce and some paste and simmer for as long as I have, and I mean it's pretty good but not incredible. I loving love sauce, I'd eat pizza with heavy sauce on awesome crust and topped only with more tomatoes every day. I've got the gadgets to do the whole pressure cooking thing to make my own but I've never tried it.

Have you tried an uncooked pizza sauce? I prefer them, they're a bit lighter and fresher. You can either use a can of good quality whole tomatoes and puree them, or use a brand of ground tomatoes called 6-in-1 by Escalon (they're amazing you should try seeking them out if you can). Just mix in some salt, oregano, basil, maybe a bit of honey or sugar if you like your sauce sweeter, some crushed garlic, red pepper flakes. If your tomatoes are too liquidy or thin, you can either strain them, or add a bit of tomato paste. Then sauce your pizza as normal.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Hed posted:

This man knows what's up. The pizza making spergs over at PizzaMaking forums got me hooked on them years ago. Since I'm basically as far away form California as you can get, I order the 6-in-1s directly from Escalon's site, I find it reasonable to keep several cans on hand for my tomato needs.

Same place I heard about them too, those people know their poo poo. I was lucky enough to find that a local giant grocery store carries them regularly :toot:

Now I have no less than 2 cans in my pantry at all times, for emergency pizza purposes lol

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Jose posted:

I made the serious eats no knead pizza and its the first time I've made pizza before and it was mostly as I expected. The only problem though was that the top was starting to burn before the time the recipe said it should so I don't think the dough was as cooked as it should have been. Is it because I added the sauce and toppings while the sauce was hot which caused the mozzarella to melt before going in the oven?

Doubtful. Where was your rack positioned in the oven? Pizza cooked in a pan generally needs to be on the second lowest (or lowest) rack or so. If yours was higher, that might account for the top cooking faster.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

KettleWL posted:

gonna want pics of all of that, maybe some recipes too. That sounds way too delicious.

My biggest thing is I don't really like messing with making my own dough, so all I've done is the "self rising flour + greek yogurt" dough or use flatbreads/naan/tortillas/whatever in their place. I feel like I'm selling myself short here, but I'm also really bad at using enough dough to at once to warrant a whole batch. Now I'm just kind of rambling, but aside from freezing the rest what's a good balance recipe for not a ton of effort, not a ton of waste, as much flavor as possible?

By your own criteria, tortilla pizzas. They're amazing. http://www.seriouseats.com/2014/10/cast-iron-skillet-tortilla-pizza-bar-pie-food-lab.html

If you want to make your own dough though, look for a no-knead pan-style pizza. They're generally easy and quick.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Comb Your Beard posted:

Anybody got a recipe for a less cooked down sauce? I was considering squeezing and straining some canned san marzanos and then reducing down only that liquid, then combining back and doing a rough purree. Does that technique make sense? Also bring in a small bit of vinegar and sauteed garlic.

I did the below recipe last time and it didn't have that "brightness" to it. Kenji's dough was great though. I also used smoked paprika which kind of takes over the taste, will leave that out this time.
http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/10/new-york-style-pizza-sauce.html

Just don't cook your sauce at all, I never have. Easiest option: Find Escalon 6-in-1 tomatoes, open can, season (maybe), use. The end. http://www.amazon.com/Purpose-Ground-Tomatoes-28-Ounce-Pack/dp/B00474C72E

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Jmcrofts posted:

If you have a stick/immersion blender, going to town on a can of whole tomatoes produces winderful results. In my experience whole, peeled tomatoes are better quality than ones that come pre-diced or pre-sauced.

Been there, done that. The flavor and quality of 6-in-1s is much better than most canned whole tomatoes. There's a reason why many restaurants and pizza places use 6-in-1 exclusively. The pizzamaking.com forum spergs put me on to these and I found them at a local store and have never looked back. If a canned tomato product can be life changing, it's 6-in-1. Perhaps you should try them. They are absolutely perfect for a no-cook sauce, which is what he asked for.

Edit: Here's a SeriousEats thread about them: http://www.seriouseats.com/talk/2011/02/6-in-1-tomatoes.html

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Gwaihir posted:

Nice. I've been going through Kenji's pizza recipe and my continual conclusion is that I never really get the dough quite right and it's always a little annoying but never enough to make it a bad pizza.

Spicy Sicilian first try:
Boar's head natural casing pepperoni, and goat cheese on half

Came out really well aside from I think me not using nearly enough olive oil in the pan to get that really good pan fried effect for the crust.

Is that the super wet dough, 3 hour rise one? I do that one a lot. You definitely need a LOT of olive oil, but it's worth it. I've learned you really have to bake it close to the bottom of the oven too (in an electric, at least). So tasty.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Ola posted:

Yeah, some people have taught themselves than "thin pizzas" is what is cool and that no discernible dough is what constitutes a thin pizza. Might as well drop the dough and put sauce and toppings on tortillas.

Funny you should say that, because last minute tortilla pizzas are loving delicious. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2014/10/extra-crispy-bar-style-tortilla-pizza-recipe.html

There are about a million different styles of pizza, and all are awesome in different ways. Thin, crunchy, cracker crust pizza cut into squares (sometimes called bar pies, sometimes Chicago-style thin, etc.) is much different than a spergy, perfected Napoletana for sure, but it's not inherently better or worse, either.

There are lots of recipes on the pizzamaking forums for cracker-style pizzas. I own a giant heavy dough docker because of them!

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Or just knead it by hand? A food processor won't knead your dough anyway. If you really want a machine for that, get a stand mixer.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Happiness Commando posted:

^^ Them's fightin' words. My Cuisinart does an excellent job of kneading the dough, and made it significantly easier and faster for me to have pizza frequently before I got a mixer.

I've only ever seen a food processor used to bring a dough together quickly, then it's kneaded by hand. Does your mixer do a better job at kneading than your food processor?

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Human Tornada posted:

Can anyone diagnose how come my dough comes out like this? I used Kenji's Sicilian pizza dough recipe with a food processor and about a four hour rise.

Link to recipe:
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2016/05/spicy-spring-sicilian-pizza-recipe.html

Link to my pizza:
http://imgur.com/a/ctP7PkN

So I've made Kenji's older Sicilian crust recipe many times, and it turns out great: https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/07/basic-square-pan-pizza-dough-recipe-sicilian-recipe.html

Interestingly, it's almost exactly the same ingredients as the one you used, but a slightly higher hydration and with twice the amount of olive oil in the pan. Your 4-hour rise might be too long. Once the dough pile reaches the edges of the pan, it should be stretched to fit. And then topped and baked pretty quickly. That second added rise after stretching is something he added in your recipe that's not in the old one. Perhaps that's leading to your over rise that would cause it to collapse while baking.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

I will stan Escalon’s 6-in-1 ground tomatoes until my death. They’re the only canned tomato that actually tastes great straight from the can, and they have fantastic texture. For pizza sauce, I do uncooked because the tomatoes are so good, and add fresh garlic, dried oregano and basil, salt and pepper flakes. That’s all those tomatoes need.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Jamsta posted:

After watching too much Dave Portnoy (don't judge), I tried to make some bar pie. Thin crust, low moisture mozz, parmigiano then added jalapeno and crispy bacon bits. Ran out of tinned tomatoes, so made the home made BBQ sauce from ketchup, apple cider vinegar, honey, SPG and Worcestershire sauce.

tavern pie has a cracker crust. unless your recipe has you rolling the dough out and docking it, it's not tavern pie. (your pizza looks loving delicious, regardless)

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

Jamsta posted:

you got me, I didn't roll and crop the edges.

did use a oiled pizza tray, did press the edges out but still got some expansion.

need to get a steel to replace my smashed stone, and try the Kenji-alt method.

what does cropping the edge mean? honestly kenji's bar pizza recipe isn't very good (unless you're talking about the tortilla one, which is fantastic for the minimal amount of effort). check out the cracker style recipes on the pizzamaking forums instead. or the chicago style forum for that style of thin, if you'd like a little more heft than cracker.

Crusty Nutsack fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

lurker2006 posted:

edit:nvm. I ask because there's a type of pizza I never really see mentioned anywhere online, like a medium thickness cracker crust.

the pizzamaking.com forums are your friend

I remember seeing a laminated dough on there at some point, though I've only made one or two of the risen cracker-style docked crust recipes