Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Id love to have some guys to compete with on my friends list...GT: Z3n85

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

T-Square posted:

Aw poo poo. Dunno if you remember me from early on in the track days/race CA thread (SV650 at the time). 2-wheeler's Forza club?

Added those who've posted their gamertags so far.

GT: Turb0snail I will race anything, just need the drat game to come out!

Hell yeah! gently caress I just got irritated as poo poo chasing you pagani ghost, gonna try to break into the top 1000 with the Ferrari in rivals. :3:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

So I have a question about the Fanatec stuff.

I'm considering dropping the ~$500 on them, but I want to hear from folks who actually own them before I do it. I'd be getting:
Forza Motorsport CSR Wheel
CSR Elite Pedals
CSR Shifter Set

Do people really feel like it adds to the game? I've used the MS wheel before, it seemed like it could be a lot of fun once I got used to it, but the proper setup seems awesome. This is the first time I've played a racing game where I can tell the controller and lack of fine control is forcing me off the lines I really want to be on.

For example, in the demo while lapping with the Zonda, in the right hander before the tunnel, I always wanted to hug the outside and follow the curve in for a bit before really committing to the corner properly, in order to get the proper late turn in.

With the controller, I always seemed to drift wide a bit on the brakes, rather than being able to modulate the steering and braking to really hug the outside before I committed. While it's no problem to manage the fast turn in corners as the controller makes that trivial, I have difficulty consistently pulling the lines I want in the corners where you need a gentle turn in.

Does it seem like the wheel will help with these things? Or am I just hitting the limits of what's reasonable to expect from a racing videogame?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Hepnotic posted:

Which game is better. Forza 4 or GT5? My friend is lending me his PS3 for a while, so I have access to either game, and I want the best one.

Forza, no contest. I never felt like there was any connection to the cars in GT5.

hreple posted:

The Fanatec-wheels adds absurd amounts of feel (and joy), at least I felt that going from the MS-wheel to the 911 Turbo S (now old and dead).

You can just play so much more with the limits of your grip and weight-transfers. Also, I suspect the new CSR-E-pedals are just fantastic. Using G27-pedals for now, but I hear great things about the newer pedals. I also think it's mentioned, but the CSR-E-pedals are apparently more or less just as good as the clubsports, but cheaper.

The CSR-wheel is apparently not that far away from the GT2-wheel. I guess they added just a few new bits and bobs, and I just went for that instead of the GT2. They're equally expensive, and apparently the CSR is just a tiny bit more flashy and nifty, but I wouldn't bother with an upgrade if I had the GT2.

All in all, go for a fanatec-wheel if you can afford it. They are pretty drat good.

Partial Octopus posted:

I absolutely love my GT2 wheel. It definitely adds a ton to the game. The force feedback is great and really lets you feel when your tires start to slip. Plus it just makes the whole game a lot more fun. Right now I have some pretty crappy pedals but I plan on upgrading to the clubsport soon. Personally though I'd get the GT2 instead of the new forza wheel... alcantara rocks.

Hrm, ok. So is there anyone who's not happy with the Fanatec stuff?

AlmightyPants posted:

Maybe someone here can help me. I just got the Microsoft wheel. I am now terrible at everything. It feels like the cars don't have power steering in the cars. I'm spinning out constantly. I feel like a significantly worse driver. Is there some way to dial this back a bit or what? I'm quite disappointed as it stands.

I had the same issue with the MS Wheel, which is why I'm leery of dropping $500 on the Fanatec stuff.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Z3N - you will definitely enjoy driving games (Forza) more with the full Fanatec setup and it's worth every penny, but the MS Wireless Wheel is the best bang for the buck out there if you can find a good one. If you enjoy driving cars in real life, you will enjoy driving Forza with a Fanatec.

I do enjoy driving cars in real life, and I'm half using this as an excuse to have a first welding project, because I've always wanted to build a sit in rig.

Symphoric posted:

I own the original MS wheel and have played with a Fanatec extensively. It's just my personal opinion but I decided just to stick with the MS wheel. The Fanatec is definitely BETTER, but I really didn't feel like it was so much better that it was worth dropping all that cash on.

Obviously there are many people here and elsewhere who don't agree, so as I said, just my opinion.

Thanks for chiming in! It's a lot of money but I could see myself using it for a long, long time, as driving games are really the only games I play anymore.

So I took the plunge and ordered them. $516, but hell, you only live once, right? Hopefully they'll show up soon :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Symphoric posted:

I probably should have mentioned that I based my decision on the fact that I already had the MS wheel. If I had had no wheel at all it would have been a different story.

When my MS wheel dies (which it is slowly but surely doing) I'll probably buy one myself.

Ahh, good to know.

Now I'm scanning DIY cockpit builds...this one is pretty awesome. :buddy:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Anyone who's got their Fanatec stuff...where did it ship from? Does it ship from their LA office? I'm loving :f5: waiting for mine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Partial Octopus posted:

Yes

Best news all week. Maybe it'll be here today or tomorrow then :neckbeard:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Partial Octopus posted:

They should give you a tracking number when they ship it.

I was sent an e-mail that it "will be shipped now" 2 days ago but no tracking number since. :(

Is the fact that I'm not using the clutch why I'm always losing out on the straights in the Top Gear Cee'd challenge? It seems like I can come out of a corner faster than the ghost I'm racing against but I still end up down by the end of the straight. :(

Z3n fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 14, 2011

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Request sent to LLJK from Z3n85 :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

If people need space in LLJK, you can drop me. I wont be able to play for a week or so due to moving, so cut me so some other folks can get in some races. Ill try and get back in later when I play more MP.

GT:Z3n85

• Locked thread