Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

The op is great. Stuff about wheels and wheel stands would be a great addition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

GhostDog posted:

Wait, so level 5 already gives you free upgrades, is there any other incentive for the next 45 levels? Other than showing everybody how much you love BMW of course.

I believe you get credits.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

maverick99 posted:

Do you guys think that using simulation steering will give drifters a significant advantage? I'm really just trying to decide whether I want to get used to it or not, because I really like the assisted steering in regular driving in the demo.

If you know what you're doing, I imagine it could help. I don't know much about drifting, though. With simulation, the wheels point where you tell them to without that extra layer of interpretation. The assisted steering helps catch the cat when it tries to spin, which I would think would be detrimental to drifting. Someone who knows how to drift would be able to answer better.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

I never liked amalfi full, actually. Also, why exactly are people complaining about the day 1dlc? You get it for free with a purchase of a new game. You only get screwed if you buy used.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Dr JonboyG posted:

Welp, I think my Fanatec Porsche Turbo S wheel is having a complete mental loving breakdown. Fired up GT5 a bit earlier (graphics better than I remembered, only took 30 minutes from turning the PS3 on to start playing, what with all the updates) and despite having taken my Clubsport pedals apart this morning to lubricate the brake, I started getting the same problem I was having before where the brake shows 10-15% pressure when I'm not touching it. Switched back to Forza 4 and it started going bananas - pausing and unpausing the game at almost 10 Hz, which shouldn't have anything to do with the pedals because none of them control pausing the game! I switched over to the CSR Elite pedals and the problems remained, so I think that it's the wheel, or possibly both the wheel and the pedals that are hosed. I'm getting to the point where I want them to replace both, because this is just loving annoying.

If you're reading this and are panicking now because you just bought a CSR, don't worry, that wheel hasn't been giving me any problems! Any other PTSW owners having similar problems?

I did see a Senna/Suzuka Rival challenge, yes. I'll take closer look at it tomorrow and report back.

Mine had started pausing the game, and twitching in the force feedback. I made a video, and they fixed it for me. I lubricated my brake and the brake issue stopped.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Had a brief scare with my LCE preorder, but it's all good now. It was under my old phone number. Tuesday can't get here fast enough!

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

GreatGreen posted:

Is it possible to play in Rivals mode if you don't have the Gold Live service?

I don't think so.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

AwwJeah posted:

I want to get in on this LFA business. My GT is Aww Jeah. I don't have a copy of Forza 3, so I don't know if you can still send it or not. Also may I ask why there are so many LFA's and only LFA's going around? Was that the best car from 3 or something?

I am hearing more and more about something called unicorn cars? I'm new to the Forza series so are these just the hardest cars to obtain? Do you need to do something special to get them?

They're gifting cars in Forza 3, so you can't get one without it. They're taking about the Lexus because even if you don't have the right dlc, it will transfer to forza 4. If you have certain cars in your forza 3 garage, they will be gifted to your forza 4 garage.

In the normal game, you can buy any car for your garage if you earn enough credits. Unicorn cars are not available for normal purchase in the same way. They are in the game, but you get them as gifts from Turn 10 or by buying them in a special section of the auction house.

You will not miss out on any cars by not having 3, you will just have to earn in game credits to buy them for your garage.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

PrettyhateM posted:

Wait I guess I missed this, so not all the cars will be able to do the Autovista?

I think there are 25 auto vista cars.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Morphix posted:

He's not asking about the type of transmission, rather about factory Traction Control Systems. In some cars you can't fully turn off the cars tcs, I think the MPC-12 is one of those cars.

I belive in the TCS description it talks about in-game traction control aids, but it's a pretty good question. Because cars like the GT-R are monsters because of their amazing TCS/AWD systems. I think you're able to turn off the system in the GT-R but it still aids in assists, either way it's not like it's a 'no fun' type thing in this particular cars, like in many others.

The answer doesn't change, sadly. They have traction control as an assist, and it's not individually modeled for each car.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Wife will be picking up my copy while I'm at work. I'll see you bitches when I get home.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

The wait is killing me!

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Umberger posted:

Picked up a copy of the LCE as a joint present for myself and my dad (Christmas :argh:). We each have our own 360, but he doesn't have an Xbox Live account whereas I do. How would I go about getting the various DLC codes on both consoles? I think I'd be able to just claim the codes on my account/console, recover my gamertag on the other console and download them there, but I'm not sure if that would allow you to utilize the DLC while on an offline/standard profile (that is, not just my gamertag's profile with the ethernet cord unplugged).

Would there be any way to do this? Worst case scenario I can just do a license transfer to his console since mine is always online but if that's not necessary then I would prefer to avoid it.

I'm nearly certain you won't be able to have the dlc on two consoles at once. I think it's tied to the account that was active when it was installed. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Linux Nazi posted:

Awesome, thanks for the info. I may have to pick this up after all.

If you like GT and have an xbox, you should definitely pick this up. I made the jump from GT to forza with forza 2 and haven't looked back.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Bodacious Bagel posted:

Alright so I got the game last night at midnight at Walmart, played for a few hours and I love it already. I've been a diehard fan of Forza since the beginning, and consider myself to be an above average racer (all assists off, clutch, etc.). The reason I'm saying this is because I SO BADLY want to buy a Fanatec wheel so I can become even better and enjoy the game more. However, the $500 total for the wheel+pedals+shifter is the only thing holding me back. For those of you that have the Fanatec setup, is it worth it? If it makes any difference I put roughly 100+ hours into Forza 3, so I should be playing F4 for a long long time as well.

tl;dr: Should I spend $500 on a Fanatec wheel, pedals and shifter?

Yes. My enjoyment went up immensly when I switched from the old MS wheel. 5 dollars per hour of entertainment isn't that bad, really, and your play time is likely to go up with a new wheel and all the rivals mode awesomeness.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Residency Evil posted:

Don't tell me this. :( How is the fanatec better than the MS wheel?

The steering is smoother, the force feedback is way stronger and feels more nuanced, and the clubsport pedals with clutch are a GIGANTIC improvement. Takes a bit to get used to the pressure sensitive brake, but my braking consistency is way better now.

Edit: and the 900 degree steering allows for more minute adjustments which helps a lot on straights and ovals.

Day Man fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 11, 2011

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Bodacious Bagel posted:

Thanks guys, I think I might go for it. I'll be getting the Forza CSR Wheel, CSR Elite Pedals, and I'm not too sure about the shifter. Does the standard Porsche one work fine with any wheel? I'm assuming it does. Hopefully. Also, do I absolutely need a shifter, or can I just use the paddle shifters for now? Would the paddle shifters also work with a clutch? :confused: Sorry I'm asking so many noob questions.

The paddle shifters will work with the clutch. The porsche shifter set will work with the new wheel, too. The csr shifter is supposed to feel much much better. The porsche one feels really mushy and like the plastic that it is. I'm considering upgrading, as it's definitely the weak point of my setup. I would highly recommend the rennsport stand as well.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Ziploc posted:

So I immediately redeemed all my codes and downloaded all the DLC. But in the dealership the new blue M5 is still DLC.

Is this normal?

It's a separate free download yu can get through the market.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Internet Victory posted:

I apologize if you hate rage comics but it's the best way to explain how I felt when it happened. I love this game.

Did you do that from a standing start with no assists? Because the stig did. :colbert:

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Congratulations on your time, then, internet victory. :)

General Probe posted:

I'm still looking for an answer to my earlier question about the AI:

Another question I have is since I got the American Muscle DLC as Launch Bonus but bought the season pass and essentially double bought that content, wasn't I supposed to receive some in-game credits or something?

You can't change the AI in world tour mode. It gives them upgraded cars to match yours and uses an auto adjusting difficulty scale. If you keep winning, they get better, if you keep losing, they get worse. In other modes, you can select from 4 difficulties and select whether or not they get to use upgraded cars.

Edit: I don't know about the in game credits. I thought you were supposed to get some for that, too.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Cojawfee posted:

The notchback looks like a econobox.

Also, everyone needs to do that nurburgring Top Gear challenge. The radical is loving INSAAAAAAANE. Also, what car do i drive on maple valley first? Thunderbird, Mustang or Fairlane?

The radical was insane in 3, too. My vote for maple is the hummer. See if you can roll something that wide.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Le Saboteur posted:

I'm saying the data hasn't even downloaded once, all I have is the M5 pack downloading, unless the M5 pack is covered under that as well.

Check to see if the cars are unlocked in the game.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

mangler103 posted:

Man, this car credit system is going to be a huge money-maker. You can purchase a credit with MS points that will let you buy cars. You don't even have to use in-game credits anymore.

I kind of liked in Forza 3 that credits were scarce for the first few hours of play. You really had to decide if you wanted to buy a bit more horsepower or better tires. Now I'm level 12, and I have 250k credits, and not much reason to use them. I do like the new affinity system, but it seems like you get to the free parts bonus way too fast.

Does anyone know how high affinity levels go? I'm up to 6 on a couple and keep getting extra credits through that, but will I eventually get other bonuses like cars?

It goes to 50 for each manufacturer, and you get credits. I don't think you get any cars. I love that the upgrades are free so quickly. Lets me feel a lot more comfortable experimenting. Making cars for GTCC races will be a ton easier now.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

xzzy posted:

Try turning on some assists for a while?

There is an acclimation period to using the wheel. It's not like jumping in a real car, you have to learn what the FF is telling you and how sensitive the steering action is.

But once you get over that hump, you'll have a ton of fun.

Yeah, this. There are built in controller assists that try to make up for the fact that you have like 4mm of movement mapped to 900 degrees of steering. Now you actually have full control of the car and have to do that yourself. It takes time to learn.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

BlackLaser posted:

I dunno man, I have the regular pedals. I think they own. The brake alone is so much better than the MS wheel set it's worth the cost. Everyone raves about the club sports, but I have trouble imagining how they are an improvement. I just don't think I'm good enough at driving video game cars yet to take advantage of any benefits.

They're better because they don't rely on brake position, they rely on brake pressure like a real car brake. Muscle memory helps your braking consistency as a result. The normal pedals are good, mind you, bu the clubsports are way better.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Ringo Star Get posted:

Realized that my Clubsport brake pedal vibrates when I max out the brakes...owns owns owns owns.

Changing the abs setting in the wheel changes where that vibration happens. I have mine set to vibrate at 90% brake pressure.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Teeter posted:

I don't even know what to do with myself in this game. I've worked through a few seasons so along with online play it's brought me up to lvl 17 or so. Money has been thrown at me, upgrades for all of my favorite manufacturers are free, and I have a garage of road-worthy cars starting to build. I haven't had any reason so spend any money yet so I've got more floating around than I ever had in F3.

Anybody have favorite cars or hidden gems? I'm so overwhelmed by the choices that I don't know who to throw my money at.

Get a Pagani Zonda R.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Was there a reason that they mounted then on the hood originally, other than being different and cool?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Someone in the GTCC club who didn't get the pre order car from gamestop needs to try to use the Alpha I shared. Not sure if that will work, but I figured we should give it a try.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

They made it so only the top 1% of people who played forza 3 would hit level 150 after playing for two years. At least, that's what they said in previews. Everything after 50 is just cash.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

AlmightyPants posted:

Is there any way to adjust the force feedback level on the MS Wireless Wheel? Or the sensitivity? Or anything? I really want to like this game with the wheel I just bought for it. But after a couple of hours I'm tired of fighting with it every inch of the way. I picked up the controller after an hour with the wheel and ran a perfect lap. With the wheel I'm constantly losing control and crashing. The steering feel is absurdly heavy. And should I hit a bump or get tapped by another car I pretty much lose control, fishtailing back and forth until a wall stops me.

Right now I'm very disappointed in the wheel and I'm trying to give it all the chances in the world to impress me but it's not. Help!

You should be able to adjust wheel settings in controller options. Advanced settings or something. If you want to stop spinning out, either stop overcorrecting or turn off simulation steering. The steering assist keeps you from overcorrecting.

The force feedback is what tells you about your front end grip. When it's strong as you turn, your tires are sticking to the pavement. As the fronts break traction, the wheel will get "loose". The wheel will vibrate as you lose rear end grip.

Real tires essentially do the same thing, it's just amplified a bit to help with the fact that you don't feel the g forces. You can turn down the strength of the force feedback in that menu, though, if you want. Mess with those settings until you get something you're happy with.

Edit: Seriously, try the steering assist. It's done very well, and the only thing you'll notice is that you aren't spinning.

Day Man fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Oct 13, 2011

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Captain Hair posted:

Oh yeah, baby. Think I need to work on the eyebrows some more, but goddamn.

Havn't even raced yet, spent almost 2 hours in the game though.

Oh and my Limited Edition DLC content code? I'm guessing thats VIP and stuff? Because I put it into my xbox and I chose "download now" but it was never added to my downloads que... what gives?

All the data was included in one of the other packs, so it just downloaded a key and finished almost immediately.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Pudgygiant posted:

If there is a community dlc pack again, who wants to start a campaign for the ford lightning, 1151 hmmwv (milspec with roughly a billion ft-lbs that tops out at 75), the unimog, mrap, or that crowdsourced off roader that I can't remember the name of?

All of those sound awful. This is a racing game.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

pvax posted:

So - is it just me or do the reward cars come pre-modified to sit around the max PI of their respective classes? I kept noticing most of my cars were within a couple of points of the max and haven't intentionally upgraded that many yet.

Yeah, that's how it works.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

T1g4h posted:

Man, is it just me or did T10 nerf AWD cards really loving harshly? I just built my S204 up to A600 and tried to do some World Tour races with it and was positively getting massacred. Same with my Skyline R33, I just could not keep up and was getting outcornered by loving Vipers and Corvettes. It almost seems like they went a bit overboard trying to curb cheater cars and now AWDs are almost not worth it.

New model vipers and corvettes corner well. I have done well with AWD cars, they just aren't a magic win button anymore.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Partial Octopus posted:

I don't think so. But I'm pretty sure that the dashboard lights in cars get darker when you turn on the headlights.

The dashboard lights turn on with the headlights in every car I've been in. Also, no, you can't turn on the headlights in forza.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Brace posted:

I can't use some of my cars in the races I should be able to use them for, would there be any reason for this? I checked the restrictions and it said none, and they're in the same class.

Only thing I can think of is human error. Are you positive you didn't miss a restriction?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Philip J Fry posted:

I noticed the AI gives plenty of room to the inside when its brethren try to pass but nooooo, if I take the inside it's like I'm not even there. Also, they brake way too loving early in front of you when there's plenty of speed left in the apex approach but then they'll rear-end you even if you're the most last-millisecond-braking-motherfucker on the track. :psyduck:

When I have raced the AI cleanly, they give me plenty of room. I've actually been incredibly impressed with how realistic it is sometimes. When I start pushing them around, though, they don't hesitate to start using me as a brake.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Dirty laps don't necessarily mean you're doing something wrong, that indicator is just there for the leaderboards. Unless you're going for a rivals time, don't worry about it.

:siren:
Wheel users: I've seen multiple people ask about adjusting wheels in game. If you go into My Profile:Options:Controller you can press x for advanced options. This will let you adjust all sorts of wheel settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

dreesemonkey posted:

I'm really annoyed that rivals mode requires a gold subscription and also an internet connection. As a dude with a terribly unreliable internet connection (and therefore I'm not renewing my gold subscription) this really sucks. What's wrong with letting me do the challenges without the rival ghosts? I don't care about the rival bounty and poo poo, I'm racing the clock you fucks! :(

Also, loving gently caress let me turn the ghosts off in rival mode. It's very distracting. Split time would do just fine, thanks.

Rivals doesn't require gold. You can get to it from Go Race in the career mode. My daughter had been doing it without gold.

• Locked thread