Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I need to load up FM3, since I bought VIP I wonder if there are 300 gifted cars that I never downloaded, maybe some of them would carry over? It's been so long since I loaded it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Don't forget the new gameplay additions

- Rivals mode - Awesome because it's like a big, organized "let's see who's the fastest" challenge which is what a lot of us end up doing anyway
- World tour - Cool that the ai difficulty adjusts around you automatically, good for credit harvesting I guess?
- Manufaturer's Alliance - I think this will keep the game fresh so you don't have to grind and grind to get credits to buy all the different cars and mod them out.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

MUFFlNS posted:

I guess the real stinger though is that this game will have day 1 DLC, which I just find really cheeky when they're not exactly packing that much new content on the disc in the first place anyways. It's not like they've run out of space considering the second disc is less than a quarter full so holding back content is a dick move in my eyes. I'm probably gonna skip buying the game new and buy a cheap used copy in a couple months, or just wait for the "gently caress all of you who bought our game" edition with all the DLC and exclusive content in a years time.

I hadn't paid attention to this game at all and I was going to boycott it when a friend told me about day 1 DLC. That's lovely and I hope it flops (along with the following DLC). I don't want to pay $60 for a game and then $10 each month for a handfull of different cars that should be in there anyway. It's just a completely blatant money grab and it will only ever get worse if it succeeds.

Then I heard about the top gear test track and got all giddy and forgot about boycotting it :(

I think rivals mode is going to sell it for me. Both the demo for 3 and the demo for 4 have me aching to play and see if I can improve my times. When I'm doing the regular "single player" stuff it's a bit more boring so this will keep me going to see how I stack up.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
RE: Porsche

It's my cynicism showing through but I'm willing to bet turn 10 will "be able to negotiate a deal" with EA to grace us with a small set of porsche cars after they've run out of other DLC options.

Write that poo poo down, it will probably happen.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Residency Evil posted:

So I'm trying to begin playing without ABS on the controller. What's the right way to brake? Pulse rapidly? This isn't easy :(.

Smooth, linear engagement. You should basically never have this trigger pressed in all the way unless you're trying to lock your brakes up on purpose.

ABS :bahgawd:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I'll take an LFA as well if people are buying (GT same as username).

Anyone who isn't trying to buy the LCE worried of the game being sold out? I didn't pre-order. I'm thinking of going to Kmart because it's closest to my work and not many people shop there.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Fortunate: I got around a bit early this morning and went to Walmart before work (out of my way). They had the game, but the guy who unlocked the case let me know but they had a small stack of 6-7 LCEs at the bottom - I couldn't resist.

Unfortunate: It's my anniversary today and having a newborn means I'll never get to play ever. But hey, at least I spent that extra $20! :)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I wish they'd let you pick your LCE bonus vendor car, whooooopieeeeee a mini clubman :(

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I'm actually liking the career mode (world tour) quite a bit. While I agree that the top gear bowling stuff is pretty stupid, I do really like not having to filter my way through the lists of events to see what race I can do with my car and also I'm loving that I don't have to adjust the difficulty.

I've already lost a few races and I don't really mind all that much, which never would have happened in the last game. My Ford Ka just didn't have the power to hang in the sunset peninsula race early on. It is annoying that the cars are so slow in the corners and the only way around them in a 2 lap race is to bumper car them to death.

The manufacturer affinity is also pretty cool, now I'm specifically driving different brands of cars to get to level 4 so then I can get free parts. The only money I spent so far was to quick-upgrade my miata to C class because I wanted to keep at it and didn't have my level 4 mazda affinity yet.

Credits are reallllllly easy to come by in this game, but I don't think that's a bad thing unless you're a marketplace seller. I'm willing to bet you could make it through your whole career mode (while picking the right cars) and not have to spend a dime ever. Pretty freaking awesome :)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Brainwrong posted:

How does the free parts thing work? Once you get to level 4 does that mean ALL parts are free on just that car or an ALL cars for that manufacturer?

I think it's all cars from that manufacturer, though since my game time has been limited I've been trying to maximize my racing and play around with the upgrades later.

I'm sure someone else can confirm for sure.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Brainwrong posted:

That's pretty cool. I suppose that means that after a certain point, the money you make in game is really only going to be spent on new cars rather than being ploughed into loads of parts

Yea I think turn 10 planned that exactly. It takes a real dedicated forza nut to grind through countless races to save enough money to buy the crazy expensive cars.

I think this will really help the replay for casual gamers, while the forza purist nuts can still try and reach lvl 150 and other crazy things that will take a lot of time so it seems like the best of both worlds.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

BlazeKinser posted:

Sure enough is. And yes, it still drives like an oil tanker with a broken rudder.

Speaking of, christ the new camaro is terrible to drive. I was foolish enough to quick-upgrade it to the top of B class and other than it has a lot of power, it is terrible to drive.

MustardFacial posted:

Oh god this.

Pontiac 6000
Jeep Cherokee
Dodge Aries K
Pontiac Sunbird
beat to hell Mazda B2200
Volvo 740 wagon
Chevy Chevette
Pontiac Firefly
Geo Tracker

hell yeah, I'd buy that pack in a heartbeat

Ding ding ding! First car alert. 86 in year AND horsepower and it was carbed, even. Still probably my favorite vehicle, though.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I'm really annoyed that rivals mode requires a gold subscription and also an internet connection. As a dude with a terribly unreliable internet connection (and therefore I'm not renewing my gold subscription) this really sucks. What's wrong with letting me do the challenges without the rival ghosts? I don't care about the rival bounty and poo poo, I'm racing the clock you fucks! :(

Also, loving gently caress let me turn the ghosts off in rival mode. It's very distracting. Split time would do just fine, thanks.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Day Man posted:

Rivals doesn't require gold. You can get to it from Go Race in the career mode. My daughter had been doing it without gold.

Oh, well now I feel silly. Thanks! :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Man I love rivals mode. I'm in a small car club with just a few of my friends and I started up the game to find a bunch of my rival mode times beaten. Unless it was a challenge I really liked I was going through various stages of sandbagging anyway. So I beat all my friends challenges easily and had this conversation

Me: Rival's mode: CHECK AND MATE
Friend: Which one?
Me: ALL OF THEM

The one with the Chevy R1 race car on road atlanta I beat his flying lap with my standing start lap, but I went slightly too far on the curb heading into the last turn and got a dirty lap. They're not very good :-/

• Locked thread