Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I'm so excited for this drat game and the Fanatec setup that I'll be getting a week or so after release. I'm a big F430 fan, will the cars that are imports from Forza 3 be available normally in 4?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

ComfortablyNumb posted:

Welp, gently caress. Didn't get the LCE, but I get a gift card, some points, and the BMW M1. It's not perfect, but at least I get to play the drat game(and pump money into DLC that I would probably get for free from buying the LCE). Is there any chance 1600 points will pay for the season pass by itself? I haven't bought microsoft points in forever and I am without my xbox currently.
I believe it's going for 2400 points.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Sorry if this is a dumb question:

What are these cars from? All preorders or what?
Pre-Order Forza 4 with GameStop and receive 5 exclusive cars!

1965 Ford Mustang GT Coupe
1997 Lexus SC300
2011 RUF RGT8
2011 Koenigsegg Agera
2011 Tesla Roadster Sport

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Minimaul posted:

Those are the Launch Bonus Cars. They come with every first production run (new) version of the game.
I figured. Gamestop are kings of making themselves seem more important than they are.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Brownie posted:

Anyone? Did anyone shipping to Canada have to pay a poo poo load of duties?
I doubt you will have to pay any since it will likely ship from the US and I'm not sure there will be much indication that it was made in Germany.

But then again I'm not sure so the best would be to ask Fanatec where they would ship to you from and go from there.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Brownie posted:

I would still have to pay duties for something shipped from the states. The Fanatec website just has this disclaimer:

"IMPORTANT NOTICE:
The Canadian buyers are responsible for any tax and duties imposed by their country. Tax and duties are not included in the shipping rate. Please contact your local customs office with further inquiries in this issue. For the shipment from the USA to Canada we use the services of USPS. USPS will charge an additional brockage fee to the consignee."

Apparently they ship every part to you individually and do really random poo poo in terms of price labeling and "commercial sample" labels, but duties on $300 could be pretty huge.
Well looks we may have google seems to have stories of them going through as auto parts with 40 bucks of duties and also slipping through duty free. I guess prepare to pay 50 bucks worst case and none if you're lucky.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Oh god I'm picking this up in a couple hours after class.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

PirateNipple posted:

I'm wondering this as well
You can only be part of one car club. We'll see how it plays out with multiple clubs for goons. Inevitably after a month or two, there will only be enough people left to maybe fill one club.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Kenshin posted:

BestBuy still hasn't sent me my BMW 1M code... they'd better have my reserved LCE when I go to pick it up tonight!
Well at Gamestop, for in store pickup, the code is supposedly printed on your receipt. I imagine it's the same at BB.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Is there a good Forza tuning guide out there?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Sprat Sandwich posted:

What did they do?
You come to a quick stop. As with a lot of grass areas that people used to cut.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Good about pre race reving is even without clutch it's still there for the full 3 seconds online.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Q_res posted:

Has anyone else noticed any unexpected cars? I had a race on Infineon earlier and saw a 2008-style Mustang GT500. I thought they had taken it out of the game, possible Unicorn?
You can buy it whenever you want.

e:oh yeah, that's the 2010

Wolfy fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Oct 11, 2011

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Installing disk 2 is literally an option on the main menu until you install it.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I said come in! posted:

You didn't need gold for the demo, so that's why people are asking.
Well yeah because they want to to subscribe.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I think I sent a request to the club. My GT is jonw39, I need forza friends too.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Wow so you can buy unicorns on the auction house now. SCUDERIA HERE I COME.

Also it appears that GT500 was a 2007.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Wow, soccer is the greatest thing ever.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Kenshin posted:

Or worst. A bunch of us just did it with Hummers. Hilarious but stupid.
I was there. It was awesome.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I highly recommend everyone take a Dodge Ram into a public lobby and laughing as all the pubbies try to make you crash but just bounce off harmlessly. Definitely upgrade the handling, that thing does NOT turn.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Athanatos posted:

Had a great MultiClass race, came down to the final lap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n5diNEj6Xi0
(Final Lap starts at 5:47)
Not to nitpick but you have the line off and still run wide on tons of corners. I think it's holding you back.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Athanatos posted:

Please nitpick everything.

I use the breaking line more as "Where are the turns, and when can I accelerate." I'm worried with it off I will fly off the track WAY more than I already do (and I do a ton). There are a lot of tracks to memorize how fast and with what car I can take that turn at so break line I use as a general guide. I'll turn it off today and see how things shake out.
To make an analogy, the line is a bit like rote memorization. You aren't actually learning the track. You're going to fly off the track a lot but you will stop after a few races at each track. Do realize that everyone has their own style of driving and with that line off you might find certain ways of taking particular corners that suit your driving style/favorite car.

Also if you're using a controller, realize you barely even need to move the stick at all to turn, and if you turn too much too quickly you're going to lose traction on the front wheels. Once you figure this out your lap times will drop and your car wont jerk back and forth in turns.

My advice would be to turn off all assists, and do some F class races. Just focus on being as smooth on break, throttle and wheel. Don't worry about what the other idiots are doing. I think it finally clicked for me when I was running through the "Esses" at Suzuka and hitting them so clean that I was taking 2 seconds off of people in front of me who where just slamming the stick left-right-left.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

For anyone that was racing against me in the Range Rover just a while ago, I'm very sorry! It's fast in a straight line but I spent most of lap one on my roof!
Took you long enough to finish.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

MUFFlNS posted:

I'm more annoyed by it personally. Having the track is great, having the car is fantastic, but having to do freakin' bowling in the career? gently caress off with that poo poo, it's dumb as heck. If I wanted to do that kind of thing I'd go play PGR which does that stuff a hell of a lot better (and it has weather :v:).
I kind of enjoyed the bowling.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Capn Beeb posted:

I won't miss out on anything by choosing events myself off and on while primarily sticking with the world tour, right?

Also how come there isn't a shift animation for the cockpit view of the Thunderbird :(
No. You'll end up doing everything, it's all a matter of preference.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Odette posted:

How do you 'tune' cars? I literally have no idea. :(
http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/4877212.aspx

My favorite guide because it not only includes the how but the why. Also the aforementioned tuning calculator is a good thing to get a "base" tune for each car.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

GreatGreen posted:

So, how does the World Tour mode work, mechanically speaking? Does the game just throw you a randomized track and three randomized events leveled to your car or player level, one after the other forever?
Based on your car it goes from track to track and picks races from events that your car qualifies for. I personally prefer it to racing from series to series because you can choose to race a different car every race, if you prefer. As someone who enjoys the variety that a game like Forza throws at me, it dominates the ol' event list, which is still there.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Mootallica posted:

Default with LB and I couldn't downshift while under braking at all - have to wait until I hit the correct speed, then quickly shift down two/three gears which just feels slow. Changing up gears was fine though. On the other hand, using A as the clutch had the complete opposite problem, downshifted fine, upshifting not - either was fat fingering Y while holding down A/X or missing A completely and changing up with no clutch in at all.
A is just the way to go. If you can't make that layout work I'm not sure it's going to happen for you.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

azerdude32 posted:

Whats the best way to get in touch with fellow goons? I have a Mac and can't really IRC chat (or I can, I just don't know of a way).

Also, I'm going to apply to LLJK or GISH. Gamertag: azerdude32
The club system makes it really easy to race with us. At any time you can just invite your online club members to the game you're in. Usually there's a room or two going just for LLJK. I'm constantly getting invites when I'm playing single player.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

What's the best car to upgrade for the 1/4 mile drag challenge?

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I just got a 32" LCD after playing games for at least 10 years an an old 27" standard def TV. It's just like the first time again.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

ZombieLicker posted:

I got purged :( request sent gt Zombi3lick3er dont let me down goons
If you got purged it's because your name wasn't in the spreadsheet.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

General Probe posted:

I wanted to let it slide but I just can't: You brake when you shift?
Sounded odd to me as well.

To answer the original question, in Forza this is how I shift. Switch clutch to A(which you already did). I just hit the shift and clutch together more or less at the same time but let out of the gas RIGHT before. Right after the shift get right back on the gas. The sensitivity of the clutch is adjusted so a tap of the button will be a motion long enough for a shift like in your car. You probably could have figured this out on your own because if you don't get out of the gas things wont be very smooth at all.

As far as downshifting I haven't really noticed figured out how you would do the controller equivalent of heel-toe but I also haven't noticed my downshifts unsettling the car a whole lot either.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

ChocNitty posted:

Can you guys beat the stigs fastest lap time, all assists off?

00:01:10.7 in the Ferrari FXX:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qrSjVXMkpg
Interesting tidbit about that lap is I believe it was run by Schumacher.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

BrokenKnees posted:

Quoting for the new page. Found an original microsoft wheel for $70 on craigslist, but if that falls through I'd still like some goon opinions of other wheels.
Someone in here has a madcatz wheel and really likes it, apparently.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Requesting more cars like the Dicks! car in the LLJK garage.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

Sex Vicar posted:

I wish they could get the actual Bathurst but supposedly Codemasters still has the rights to the Australian V8 Supercars series which includes all the tracks which means it's a no go for Forza (Like GT, they cheat by just licencing the cars instead)
Yeah, I don't think this is how licenses work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

So after not having Forza 4 for some time, I picked up a new Xbox that came with Forza. After being nickle and dimed by Microsoft, I'm back in it. I'm still in LLJK which I see is dead, is there still a general goon club?

• Locked thread