Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hi, all.
I'm broke until November, so I used my Dell credit account to buy the LCE. If it ships next Tuesday there's a good chance I'll have it by Friday (or Saturday at the latest) but that's dependent on Dell and UPS.
I hate UPS.

Coming back from GT5 to this demo has been something! I think FM4 has stepped up the physics, and I'm really starting to cue in on the tire sounds, probably more than I ever have.

I'm adding myself to the sheet in the OP. I'm no great shakes but when I get into it I'm not a total scrub, either. I like my racing clean and shenanigans kept to a minimum, mostly to blow off steam between serious heats.

O, and has been mentioned a lot by other folks; I tend to get to a certain speed class and kinda lose interest. I love the slow stuff, trying to eek out the best lap time by maintaining momentum, taking the perfect line, driving the car right on the edge. The most fun is up there in the A-class area where the cars are tight and you can get away with a little squirelly-ness. Once you get up to the R3 and above, since I still hold myself to the "no assists" standard, I tend to have too much trouble gaining 1st and that's when I usually lose interest. It happened in FM3, and also in GT5 (go to Extreme and was like, meh.)

So please add me as a friend and I'll see you in Rivals mode until Dell ships me the LCE.

Gamertag is "Captain Howdy 0" (that's a zero at the end)

P.S. - I bought the XBox360S with Kinect for this. Still using the old MS WW, so, no clutch. I hope the head-tracking works better than I am reading, or that it can be improved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Someone please start a FM4 iRC channel!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
It's hard enough posting a clean lap time as it is, but with the traffic... ffffffffffffff

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I have a few friend requests out to:
AndrewCoja
DriverZiploc
einTier
SIGMA ONE
StalkedBeef

that haven't been approved or denied. So I sent some text/voice messages to tell you guys who I am.

Also, thank you to everyone who accepted my friend req. I probably won't get FM4 until next Thurs, Fri, or Sat due to ordering from Dell. I wanna join a car club!

But I work PM shift EST so I play late at night, probably best match with west coast goons in terms of play hours.

So stoked for this game! See you all online!

GT: Captain Howdy 0 (that's a zero)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Ringo Star Get posted:

Haven't been home either, also I'm really popular so send me love and kisses and I'll remove other GT's that haven't sent love and kisses recently.

Ok, seriously... I will send love, or I will send kisses. If I send both, I'm gonna feel cheap! I'm nobody's whore!!

(sobs)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I know this isn't the "where is my copy" thread. Just wanted to say that I pre-ordered from Dell on 10/2 and my LCE order is still in limbo. I suspect I'll either get one next week or be poo poo out of luck and have to get the standard version.

I only bring this up because I am missing out on joining clubs while I am waiting to see how this is resolved. Thank you to all the goons who friended me during the demo. I'll report back when I know something about when I'll actually own the game.

Please keep posting screens and stuff, I will have to live vicariously through you all until this unfortunate matter is resolved.

GT: Captain Howdy 0

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
This is weird.

Playing World Tour. In the E-275 BMW 2002 Turbo, Clubman level... it offers me a Nissan E-275 event? Make must be Nissan, year must be pre-1980. I think, I'd like to try that!
So I switch to my E-275 1971 Skyline, and go back. Now, the make/model event is for the F-200 Ford Ka. What?

I guess if I cared I could just go to the event list and do it that way, but am I crazy or is something wrong here? Why is the game showing me events that my car won't qualify for, and then when I switch cars it does it again?

Either I am missing something or?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Can you select the third event, then change to the appropriate car? That would make sense, if being a little counter-intuitive.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Thank you to all the LLJK and GTCC folks and the rest who invited me (Hi HerrJetSet) to participate in a lot of clean and fun and crazy racing tonight/this morning. It was a blast.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Captain Howdy 0's musings on Manual w/clutch:

The Top Gear Test Track, Reasonably Priced Car was the very first thing I did when I installed FM4. I went straight to rivals and looked for the Kia C'eed on the TGTT and boom, there it was. Joy! Could I beat Jimmy Carr? (can't remember which car he drove, actually).
Thing is, I love Top Gear UK and I was REALLY disappointed by the TGTT poo poo in GT5. Here it was, the KIA on the TGTT. Sweet!
The other thing is, Rivals mode is like crack to me. Give me a ghost to beat and I am going to waste hours chasing it. I can't help myself.

I have driven manual since I first got a wheel (GT4) but my pedals don't have clutch so I always used the manual w.o./clutch option.

I noticed doing rivals on the TGTT that every ghost car was beating me to turn one. Like, by a few car lengths. I thought to myself, "How can my launches be so bad?"
So I finally enabled manual w/clutch and found the B button is clutch on my MS Wireless Wheel. Ok cool, it's right there by my right thumb, I just have to tap it every time I hit my flappy paddle.
Instantly, I am as fast or faster on every launch. Just like that.

I don't know about all that. Is that cool? Yeah, I keep forgetting to use the clutch button and hearing that awful grinding sound when I shift without it. But that will pass once the muscle memory becomes automatic.

Just saying that if you didn't know about the advantage w/clutch grants, let me be the one to tell you: turn it on and learn to use it if you care about turning in the best lap times you can.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Just posting to thank all the LLJK and GTCC folks for the fun races this morning.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

My copy of Forza 4 is here a day early. :hellyeah: I'm just having to wait another 24 hours for my Xbox 360 to arrive now. Cruel joke on Amazon's part. :v:

ISCI, I am watching your FM4 experience with great interest.
One question: I can't remember if you use a wheel, so do you? I have a wheel for my PC/PS3 and another for my XBox360, and I just can't imagine going back to a controller; or trying to judge a racing sim with one.

GentlemanOfLeisure posted:

Tonight I decided to learn how to use manual + clutch. I ran a bunch of laps on the Starter Car Open Top Gear track and managed to get up to Top 5% with a :45.536. It took about an hour to really get the hang of shifting down, and the gains are pretty noticeable. I'd recommend everyone give it a try if you haven't yet.

I just said this a few pages back, and it's definitely a noticeable improvement in shifting time. Again, if you care about posting the best lap times you can, adapt to this!

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Oct 26, 2011

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hey CaseFace,
Remember we were chatting in IRC about doing an Eddie Van Halen paint job before last weekend? I mashed something together, it isn't great; and I am SURE it's been done better. But I did do this. Hope you like it.

Bad poster here, I apologize. Just check the gallery, there are two shots of it here:

http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/Gallery.aspx?gt=Captain%20Howdy%200

If there's a regular Countach in the game I'll either do the original white w/black stripes theme or the Charvel theme which is all black with yellow stripes.

I'm no FM artist. Hell, the drat stripes are hard enough! (also please forgive me for the terrible things I did to that poor Ferrari!)

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Oct 26, 2011

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

I only have a Logitech DFGT, so no wheel for me on Forza yet. It might be a while. But yeah, i'm gonna poopsock this game and will be posting a lot of impressions.

I already have my GT if you want to add me; omgitsbees
I'll add you tonight!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I have that Firebird hood decal. I downloaded it off the storefront in FM3. It imported and I have it in FM4 now. It's probably locked. Could I share it?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

Setting up my Xbox right now. Cya guys in Forza 4 in a little bit. My GT is omgitsbees

This guy! Look at this guy! (enjoy, guy!)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Ether Frenzy posted:

I've been going over this video for a while and I can't really find a whole lot of actual variance in the way the track works when driven correctly.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmjR8r7fWfw&

Until I watched this, I never really felt like there was anything wrong with the sounds in GT5.
Boy, was I wrong.

The difference in the sound of that Zonda's engine is something like, FM4 is HDCD, and GT5 is AM radio.
Now I am itching to take the Zonda out on the 'Ring. But it will only end in tears.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

hitze posted:

Captain Howdy :ohdear:
I enjoyed racing with you guys! You can rib me or insult me, I can take it. Let's do it again.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Oct 30, 2011

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

jadebullet posted:

Sigh. I am messing around with an A class Supra, and I was really hoping to listen to the drat thing winny like a horse when I entered corners, but sadly, I can't even really hear the twin turbos. (When the turbo dumps on the one Supra that is always at the track when I do flagging, it really does sound like a horse whinnying.)

Is there anything I could do to make the turbo sound more noticable upgrade wise?

There's a setting in Audio that lets you select car or tires somewhere. I use tires so I can corner on the edge of friction. What is yours set to?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

I'm in this for the long haul anyways. I'll be playing Forza 4 for the next two years, i'm positive of that. If I can get every car in my garage before Forza 5, that'll be awesome. Which shouldn't be a problem. I'm sitting at 168 cars right now.

We don't doubt you,ISCI! I was looking for you in IRC today to see if you were sick. Race, get better, and race.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

I said come in! posted:

The event list is what i've been focusing on. It's starting to get dull though; the problem is that the track list in Forza 4 is the games one weak link. There is just not enough variety and the tracks repeat pretty often. I think another 7 - 10 tracks would have done wonders for the event list.

And I agree with you. In this case I will invoke the "we have to finish this game on budget and on schedule" rule. A rule that I think (and ISCI! if I know anything about you I'm willing to bet you agree) GT5 suffered greatly from.
There is only so much game you can make in a certain amount of time. Oops, before I come off the wrong way, I gotta say that I am absolutely not implying that you haven't taken this into account.
When I hit level 50 in FM3 I started to really lose interest. There wasn't much else to do but go faster on the same tracks. And I don't do very well above S Class. I can have fun in R3, but above that I am basically not into it.

More tracks and more modes would have been the best answer to this. Variety. Then you have the real-world costs of development and feature-creep. FM4 is as good as it is (I suspect) because it was managed well. So, things have to be cut.

I look forward to FM5, but not yet. I am loving FM4, and it's been really fun to watch you enjoy it, too. Just wish you didn't, like, seem to rush through. But hey, to each his own.

See ya online!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

xzzy posted:

They really do need a Top Gear car pack, which includes the Reliant Robin, some random motorhome (sorry, caravan), a Mercedes Sprinter, and a school bus.

There was another car they got hatemail for ragging on. Morris?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Dotcom656 posted:

Does anyone here know if the unicorn cars are saved to your gamertag or somewhere outside of your xbox hard drive? or are recoverable at all?

I had 2 of them. The Ferrari F430 Scuderia, and the Lamborghini Superleggera I think.

Last weekend my Xbox was stolen from my apartment and I've had no luck in getting it back. (My copy of Forza 4 was still in the drive as well) :(

Aw man that sucks. Goondolences. I can't answer your question, but I feel sorry for your loss. I know how bad it feels to be violated like that.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Thanks to all the SAEG goons who joined my lobby for some racin' Sunday morning. I had a great time. I even made a few forza monies.

GT is Captain Howdy 0 if you forgot. I work second shift and like to stay up ridiculously late so that's why you guys see me on at odd hours for a guy in North Carolina.

See you soon.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GreatGreen posted:

I don't even care about Van Halen all that much and I still think this paint job kicks all kinds of rear end.
I think you've seen these already, but I'll link them real quick (my FM4 Gallery):
http://forzamotorsport.net/en-us/Gallery.aspx?gt=Captain%20Howdy%200

I've done two EVH Lambos so far, a red-white-black Gallardo and a black & white Countach... and once I pick another Lambo I'm gonna do the yellow-stripes on black from Eddie's old Charvel.
It's stupid easy to do so it's about my skill level, and I think they look great.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Do you think you could come up with a way to do a pearloid look in the vinyl editor? Because I couldn't, but it would be awesome.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ANAmal.net posted:

Oh gently caress.

poo poo poo poo poo poo. I've said this before but it bears repeating: I thought the engine sounded terrifying in GT5. That was before I knew how lovely the sound work was in GT5. Now that I can compare FM4 and GT5 (Zonda R, anyone?) I can say that if they get it right, that car is gonna sound like flaming nuclear fission death swooping down on your from behind with baying hellhounds and flying chainsaws.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
1980 Oldsmobile Omega. K Kar action. Manual.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

GhostDog posted:

Ended up with a used HD PVR to record composite video via USB. Is there a free or reasonably priced software to work on mp4 videos (cutting etc.)?

Just two hotlap videos from testing this thing out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efQQ_Nau-Zc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94IRhZFt0qI

The word "poise" comes to mind. Nice driving.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I'm ready!

GT: Captain Howdy 0

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
One of my friends bought a brand-new 2010 Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport Convertible.
He let me drive it.

It was unlike. Anything.

Still, if I had $70k+ (credit) to spend on a car, it would not be a new Corvette.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

CaseFace McGee posted:

You guys have me beat with the wheels, but I've got the best drink rest :smug:

Daang, I've gotta clean my GoPro lens...

Holy poo poo I had forgotten about that cabinet. I so want to come over and play your bass rig.
I may have a pic I can share, I'll look through the pics I have here at work. Otherwise I'll up something later. I love my home theater setup.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

CaseFace McGee posted:

derail GTCC had some crazy awesome racing tonight, videos to come over the weekend. Lessons learned: 1) Radicals are not meant for Maple Valley multiclass racing with assists off,

I was doing really well until Lightglobe's AI car shunted me into ALL THE WALLS on lap 18 of 20. I mean, I was doing fine and being careful in my Radical. Then I had to limp through two laps with 100% damage all around because I didn't know that the car coming up behind me was going to loving rape me.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

LiquidRain posted:

The rape occurred both ways. :/
How so? I think other than getting rammed from behind (unf) I only had contact with another car one other time, and it was minor. That's all I remember, anyway. It was late so I haven't had time to watch any replays yet.

Anyway, thanks everyone for bearing with me through my connection issues. I felt the love.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
I love your Pinto, and I want to interject that imitation is indeed the sincerest form of flattery.
Speaking of Pintos, I enjoyed the pics from another car club with a yellow pinto Pintowning.

Now me, I love my Pinto but I kept it F200 and went avacado green like the fridges and furniture of my youth in the 1970's.

I give you the Howdy Pinto. Sometime this weekend, I'd like to host some F200 Pinto races. Anyone interested?

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
After weeks of playing only rivals and online racing with GTCC, I went back into single-player to work on my career.

What a mistake!

I had forgotten just how terrible racing with the AI is. Forget about ever doing a clean lap, until you've fought your way to the front. Because the AI cars will drive straight into you while following their line blindly oblivious to the cars around them. You can try to drive defensively, but in a large field it's not possible to avoid them all and move up in position.
So, maybe there is a certain bloody-minded satisfaction to be had in cutting the inside of every corner and shunting the AI drivers out. But it's not my style and I don't like it. And I won't look at a leaderboard until I turn in a clean lap.

lovely.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Cannot Find Server posted:

Get in a heavy AWD car, get next to 1st on a straightaway, spin him, watch him get hit by every other AI car.

Alternatively: get on the outside of the lead AI car on the last turn at Road America, smash him into the end of the pit wall, watch him careen across the track in front of the rest of the field, causing a massive pileup.

That's how I keep myself occupied when I'm grinding out the event list.

Huh. It's a meta-game. I think I like it.
No substitute for a good race, but at least a decent way to cope with the lovely.

Thanks.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

:v:

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Mac Tonight posted:

Noticed a few people saying their Gold accounts were up. Just saw a deal on newegg: 12 months of Gold for $35.99. Not a bad deal

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ID=3668349&SID=

Fuckin' A! Thanks for the heads up!

Purchased!

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 25, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Three Twenty-Minute timed GTCC Spec races tonight! Thanks, all.

• Locked thread