Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

pvax posted:

It's my understanding that any car specific full liveries cannot be imported but individual vinyls and vinyl groups should import just fine.

Yes, this is true. The cars have all been reworked, and liveries can't be imported because they don't line up on the cars in 4 as they did in 3. However, vinyl groups can be imported without a problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

redhalo posted:

I think you are literaly only the second person to address such lighting concerns around these parts.

The only complaint I have about lighting is that the interiors of the cars are way too dark and make it difficult to see the instrument panels. If it's sunny and clear outside, I should have no trouble making out the dials, but in F4 I can only see them if the sun is hitting them just perfectly.

Otherwise, I love the way the lighting system looks in this game. It's much better than F3.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Minimaul posted:

Only at first. With practice you can learn exactly how much to brake and you'll find the sweet spot where you can brake hard (and late) and not lock them up. Or the point where a quick jab is all you need. Or when you just have to let off the throttle a oval office hair. etc. etc. Just takes practice to where you can get to the direct point of just before you lock 'em up.

Squeeze gently at first, until you know the corner/car/cars' brakes and can apply just the right amount for the situation. No 'slamming' of the brakes. Squeeze until you can feel the tires start to lock-up.

It seems to me that the brakes in FM4 are calibrated for the trigger better. In FM3, it seemed like there was just not a whole lot of play before the brakes locked and it was hard to find that sweet spot between practically no brakes at all and fully locked, but the cars I've driven in the demo have really good brake response.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

pvax posted:

Sim Racing Tonight has a 30 minute preview up if you want an in-depth look a the game from a distinctly sim point of view. Like all good Sim people they love sperging out on the details - so eat it up!

http://youtu.be/X2N98Fx5Oec

(poo poo yeah - Lancia Delta Spec Series)

Finally - some car club info! Starts around the 11 minute mark.

The gripe around 18:15 where they talk about how slow the AI cars are, and how the reviewers were winning races and hanging with higher class cars without having to do much tuning is a bit disconcerting. I hope that on the Hard and Professional difficulty levels that the AI puts up a challenge.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Has anyone tried to upload a Big Shot yet? It says it's there in the game, but it didn't save to my HDD, and it's not on My Forza.

EDIT: My first lo-res shitbox

ComfyPants fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 11, 2011

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Hello Spaceman posted:

It's not very intuitive when it comes to telling you where it is.
Go to My Forza on FM.net and then view your ENTIRE gallery. There's a link on the right-hand side to download bigshot.bmp LOL GET READY FOR A 27MB BITMAP

Awesome, thanks very much! The quality on those are amazing, though way too huge to upload to imgur.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Hello Spaceman posted:

I didn't do a before/after comparison, but I can tell you this: in FM3 when you load your game at the start, it takes like a minute. Loading your game in FM4 takes 10 seconds tops.

Also :siren: Sigma One and I have set up the GTCC car club. :siren:

It's called Goons in Saloons. And the tag, obviously, is GTCC.

It says it's invitation only. I'd be happy for an invite! GT: DaytonaTurboJ

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Hello Spaceman posted:

Can't have just any old shitlords joining :v:

Sigma did invite you. Residency, I'll send you a friend request to invite you.

Got it, thanks! I should be more active online than I'd been recently. My work schedule has finally stabilized.

The Kinect head tracking is bullshit so far. I haven't figured out a proper tune for it, which keeps changing every time I get up and sit back down, and the giant re-center message that appears at the bottom every time my head nudges a millimeter out of frame is distracting as hell. The screen tilt is very minimal anyway.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Powershift posted:

Just level 4'ed ford, time to have some fun!

god drat, the decisions, thunderbird, stang king cobra, fairlane thunderbolt.

The majestic King Cobra is quite nice: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t_lWDb4ab1s

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Whoospy doodle

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Goodpart posted:

Is there a SA logo vinyl yet? I made the one people used in Forza 3, so I can get on it again if it doesn't already exist.

This game's beautiful, by the way. Simply beautiful.

I've got the newer logo on my storefront. GT: DaytonaTurboJ.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Has anyone else seen any clues to future DLC? I saw a current-gen Ford Focus ST in a poster for one of the class events, and there's a Hyundai Veloster ad on XBL that says "Coming Soon: The Hyundai Veloster. Engineered for Forza Motorsport 4" or something like that.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Teeter posted:

2: I haaaaate how they're giving me upgraded cars as rewards and wish that I could receive them stock. I use a car's base PI to figure out where I can use it or how it can best be optimized and it's driving me crazy to see every single thing in my garage maxed out in a different way than I would end up tuning it myself. My workaround has been to browse the car shop and seeing what I already own because I can then reset the default setup once I get a good base to start with.

Are you saying that you wish the reward car would just show the base PI during the reward selection process? Because once you get the reward car, you can remove all of the upgrades with that Reset Default Upgrades option in the setup screen.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

And tires might not always be the best thing to do. If the car has no power in the first place, you might want to look into increasing that if it already turns well. Just drive a car stock and see what it does and what you want it to do. No one is going to tune every car the same, and you shouldn't. Tune it to how you like to drive. If you like to always be gripping the road, up the tires and be careful with power. If you like to slide through corners, forget about tires and just add more POOOOOOWEEEER.

Yeah, my personal view is that tire compound upgrades take up a lot of PI, and sometimes just widening the tires or upgrading the suspension may be all you need to get the handling you're looking for. Those two things take up a lot less PI that can be used for other upgrades.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Puddin posted:

I may be just blind, but where is the option for viewing your replay?

When I finish a race I only have continue, restart leaderboards and view race details???

Do you have a hard drive? If not, you won't get the replay option.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

xzzy posted:

If you're bored, you can experiment with this in your real world car. Either fill a clear bottle of water and put it in a cup holder, watch how the fluid reacts when you slam the brakes versus smoothly lean on the brakes. Or if you have a flat dashboard, put a quarter on it and try to keep it from sliding around.

So kind of a racing version of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QtuVLGeFM90&t=00m26s

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I said come in! posted:

Last time there was an F1 race in the U.S., it was a total disaster, guaranteeing there will never be a F1 race in the U.S. ever again.

Nope, never again. Until November 2012.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

robotsinmyhead posted:

I like the longer races, but the Heat races suck rear end. I just smashed these fuckers on 4 laps of Road America, hey lets do it again!

Yeah, the longer races are where its at. Just got done doing a C-class season race that was 10 laps long at Sunset Club Reverse. After 4 laps I finally got around the 2nd place car and was 6 seconds behind the front-runner, who was walking away from me on the straights but couldn't handle nearly as well as I could. I didn't think I'd be able to reel him in, but I was taking the turns faster and faster on each lap, and I caught up to him with half a lap to go and made a wild but successful pass on the next-to-last turn to take the win.

You can't have that kind of fun in a 3 lap race.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I said come in! posted:

That is exactly what it is rumored to be. I think you should be prepared to punch someone. As long as it's not me.

There was an ad for the Veloster on XBox Live that said "Veloster: Engineered for Forza Motorsport 4" or something like that, so it seems to be more than just a rumor.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

einTier posted:

No offense, but the Prowler is exactly the kind of car that car guys really don't like. It was literally all show and no go. I'll be the first to admit it looked cool and I applaud Plymouth for taking chances and not building something that looked like every other car on the road. But they did a terrible job on executing the car.

I'd seen Prowlers here and there, but never up close until one fateful day at the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg museum in Auburn, Indiana. I'd been walking through the place for an hour or two, drinking in all the history, just stunned at all of these beautiful old machines. Most of them were ACD's, but they had a few other makes in the collection as well. Then I went into this one room and sitting in the middle of it was a Prowler. And while it looked snazzy on the outside, it looked like absolute poo poo inside. After looking at several decades of ornate early-20th Century craftsmanship, all of that parts-bin late-90's Chrysler plastic was just awful in comparison. I then understood why that car was so maligned.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

xzzy posted:

They really do need a Top Gear car pack, which includes the Reliant Robin, some random motorhome (sorry, caravan), a Mercedes Sprinter, and a school bus.

A "Legends of Top Gear" Pack would be great. I'd love to also see an 80's Toyota Hilux on which you can add an outboard motor in the Aero and Appearence menu, a Ford Transit, an Opel Kadett, a Suzuki Carryall, and a Fiat Panda limousine.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

For those of you raging about the rumored list not coming to fruition, Forzacentral (which has been providing accurate inside information about what to expect in future DLC) still shows that those cars will be coming in a TBA DLC. I think the reason the rumor list hit is that FC recently added those cars to their list and there was speculation that they would be next to show up. This list showed a few cars from the last DLC pack as TBA DLC before the December pack was ever announced, and they all showed up.

So keep a stiff upper lip. They may be coming soon.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I said come in! posted:

How did they learn about these cars?

The admin, BADNED, is some sort of Turn 10 insider.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I said come in! posted:

Has he ever given specifics about his insider knowledge into Turn-10?

I don't think so. I don't really read through much of the forums, only a few threads here and there.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

There should be a High School Graduation pack and it's nothing but whatever the latest Civic, Fusion, Cruze, Corolla, Focus and something else.

A teal Saturn SC.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I said come in! posted:

Someone suggested giving your Xbox 360 a static I.P. address and then giving your router permission to accept that or something. I haven't tried that yet.

I never had problems with Forza 3 on Live, but I could not get FM4 to connect at all until I set up the NAT and DMZ settings for my router.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Sunday Punch posted:

I'd love it if you had a virtual garage you could walk around in to select a car. Even if it was limited to 8 or so of your favourites it would be awesome to wander around and check out your cars.

I would love this, and I would love to be able to modify the garage a la Sega GT 2002, if for no other reason but to have something else to spend my Forza Funbux on.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Scirocco Griffon posted:

And on another note, I'm not sure if this is a bug or it happens in the real car but once you've gone past the top speed on the Omni GLHS's speedometer, instead of stopping at 85mph it just keeps on going around, which is hilarious. Also that car is a lot more fun when you do an RWD swap on it.

If you look closely, you'll see the sticker that adorns the real-life GLHS. Since the speedo is a holdover from the proposed legislation to require 85 MPH speedometers, it was sold with a sticker that gets placed on the bottom edge reading, "95, 105, 115..."

In Forza, it does finally peg when it swings back around to 5.

ComfyPants fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 4, 2012

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I've used a 16GB flash drive for games before, but not Forza. File transfers between it and the hard drive ran pretty slow, even for smaller files. However, in terms of gameplay I mainly used it for Fallout: New Vegas and there were some lengthy load times, but there's no telling if it ran slow due to the flash drive or it was just Fallout. The other games I ran off it were all XBLA titles that didn't need much load time anyway. I kept those games on the stick and ran everything else off the 20 GB HDD.

I eventually just broke down and bought the 250 GB Xbox/Kinect bundle not long before Forza 4 came out.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Rickets posted:

warning: this will shorten your lifespan significantly as you will spend most of your time intensely hating the guy who consistently posts just slightly faster lap times than you

A friend and I were going back and forth on nearly a dozen events, trying to best each others' lap times in ridiculous cars. After weeks of this I got to the point where I was throwing controllers and had to give up on most of them because he was just too good, but fighting over triple-digit spots on the leaderboards would net tons of funbux each time we were successful.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I don't know, there's something to be said for starting a police chase in a truck with a giant shirtless portrait of himself painted on the side. That would give you an achievement of some sort if it happened on Xbox. They could have even thrown in the truck and then have a track day style rivals challenge where you weave around DLC Impalas with the police aero...

With a Raptor and some time spent in the livery editor, this would make a good Cat and Mouse game.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

ANAmal.net posted:

I bet it was Sunday Punch/Crunch. It's always Sunday Punch/Crunch.

It was me! http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3450426&userid=27540&perpage=40&pagenumber=1#post398001775

GT: DaytonaTurboJ, or search for CAD, Loss, or lljk.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I finally got a chance to race online with a car I've been working on for a few weeks. It's not as good as I hoped, but when you're playing versus pubbies, there's always a chance: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xMDi9JGTVA

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I hope so because it's a pretty slick looking little car IMO.

I'd love to see the new Dart in the game too. I'm going to be in the market for a new car by the end of the year, and I'm seriously considering it.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

YF19pilot posted:

I kinda was hoping they'd keep it a hatch, but apparently sedans sell better or some such.

*ahem*

I was hoping for it to a least have a hidden-hatch style, like the one you could get on the old Shadow and the Mazda6.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I said come in! posted:

No, the 458 is Ferrari's best looking car in years.

I don't like the Cadillac-esque egg crate grille thing that's starting to proliferate throughout Ferrari's lineup, as in the FF.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

xzzy posted:

I think bumper regulations are responsible for a lot of ugly car asses. They went into effect in the 70's and the tail ends of vehicles have been getting uglier ever since.

The new Challenger is easily the worst offender in years. See it from the front and you're all "hey that's decent looking, not great, but it's a nice homage". Then it passes you and you see the rear end and it's :barf: time.

I don't think it's bad at all. The Challenger's rear end looks like it belongs in the Louvre compared to the Malibu's.

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

I said come in! posted:

I don't remember him saying they would be in the game, just that Turn-10 is scanning some more cars. They could be for Horizons or FM5. Either way, if we get more car packs, I will be excited, and buy them up.

Badned is still listing the following cars as TBA DLC:

2012 Chevy Camaro ZL1
2012 Chrysler 300 SRT8
2012 Citroen DS4
1964 Lotus Cortina
1958 MG MGA Twin-Cam
2012 Mini John Cooper Works Coupe
1987 Ruf CTR "Yellowbird"

With all that plus the new Viper, there may be another pack's worth of cars yet.

ComfyPants fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 4, 2012

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Cream_Filling posted:

I'd say the probability of the pack not including a Cayenne is close to zero.

I'm rooting for the 928, aka the Porsche Pacer. Also, Bill Gates better let them sample his 959.

I could take or leave the Porsche pack, but if it's got the 928, I'm definitely there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

ANAmal.net posted:

If you aren't driving the stupidest cars all the time you're playing the game wrong.

This. I'm not too much into the SUVs myself, but any driving game can have Ferraris and Lamborghinis and Corvettes. If you have the opportunity to race a Grand Cherokee against a Pacer, an Omni, an El Camino, and a Humvee, you take it whenever possible.

• Locked thread