Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
I did a LCE pre-order this morning from Deepdiscountdvd.com and it was 69.99 with free shipping, getting overnight put it right at $80.

Never had a problem with them before on dvd orders so that may be a place to look at as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

redhalo posted:

Target. I had to rebook an order for my brother's birthday present. They can still ship for Tuesday if you expedite.
Stop trying to buy it from Target, get it at DeepDiscount.com for $69.99 base, with free shipping. Upgrading to overnight costs $10 and puts you right at retail price.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

Out at deepdiscount, but got my order changed to Target.
Holy crap they must've just ran out because they were in stock as I made my post.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Sweeper posted:

Why can't UPS ever drop my stuff off early in the day, why is it always late at night :ohdear:
Means you're at the tail end of the guys route, to get things earlier you'd have to move closer to their hub. Or become a business because then they'll deliver stuff early in the morning as well since to UPS Business > Personal

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Is the BMW cover just a shiny paper box with the game case and the book in there or is it something fancier?
Just a shiny paper box, since the LCE box is really a tin-case with Forza 4 on it.

I said screw it to DeepDiscount's shipping since they still hadn't shipped my LCE copy and went to a local Walmart to get one of their only 2 available copies.

edit: Also in the code sheet for the LCE what the hell is the Limited Edition Track Pack?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Ahh poo poo, that's what I actually mean't to ask - whether the BMW thing IS the box or just a cover. So the real LCE box is inside that BMW box? Sweet.

Here's a somewhat crappy image of what's inside the box and how everything looks.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

azflyboy posted:

Did anyone else here try ordering the LCE from Deepdiscount?

I ordered from them about three weeks ago, and despite their site saying that pre orders either ship release day or shortly before, my order still shows as "open", despite the fact they charged my credit card already.

The fact they no longer seem to list the LCE anywhere on their site makes me somewhat concerned, so if they don't respond to the email I sent them within the next couple of days, I'm just going to perform a chargeback on the card.
I did, and then I posted on their FB wall asking about my order, they said they hadn't shipped it yet.

Of course I got that notification as I was driving to a local WalMart to pick up a copy from them. Right now I'm debating on cancelling the order and getting my money back or letting it arrive and re-selling it on eBay

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

azflyboy posted:

At least they're not saying it's never showing up.

I've heard stories of deepdiscount taking pre orders, then waiting weeks after the release to decide to ship them or just tell customers "nope, we don't have any".
Well it was kind of that, this is what they said

DeepDiscount FB posted:

Not yet, I am checking to see if it is coming in today. I will follow up with you later.
And this was at around 10am or so, I have a feeling they won't get any and I'm going to have to cancel the damned order. Which is a shame because they used to be an awesome company to order movies from.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

A5H posted:

Okay after playing for a bit, couple of questions.
How do I do matte paint?
How do I despoiler stuff?

Disappointed on wheel/kit selection and lack of overfenders/wheels.

Seems great though.
Can't do matte paint, can't despoiler stuff that has it built in.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

BlackLaser posted:

Anyone else with the no credits with a Fanatec wheel bug, the workaround seems to be setting your sensitivity to off or 270. 900 degree will cause the bug to happen.
What a weird bug that they never caught, you would assume them to have testers playing the game with 900 degree settings. Though maybe the testers just left the wheels at their default settings and never came across the issue.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

You're an rear end in a top hat muheras. loving took me 15 times to beat your 1:45.75. Finally had a loving magical lap and made it in 1:44.993. gently caress you.

:smug:
Which track? Because I will go back and beat it now that you called me out about beating yours.

I'm still pissed I had Logue's time beat by seconds for the Senna challenge but got a dirty lap in some bullshit place.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Residency Evil posted:

Top Gear Kia.

:(
Hah good, I need more reason to do it again because my lap was kind of wonky and I can improve it.

Rivals mode really is loving awesome, also anyone who has the manual around them can you dig into it and see if you can find any reference to a use of a Midway/Activision patent? In talking about Rivals mode yesterday at work someone mentioned that Midway/Activision owns a patent for ghost cars which blows my fuckin mind.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

GreatGreen posted:

Also, being able to adjust the cockpit's camera so that the instrument cluster is closer to the camera and takes up more screen real estate would be pretty great as well. Currently the gauges look like they're more for show than utility because they're so small on the screen.
You can adjust that by going to the options and setting your game up to do multimonitor, even though you don't have a second one hooked up you can actually get a wider POV angle so you end up getting closer to the gauges.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Minimaul posted:

He (the Ford, right?) put himself into the wall trying to go outside and he hit you. it's the job of the person overtaking to do it properly. he failed his line and over taking and it took you (the bimmer) out. Plus he didn't have full control of the car.
Which brings me up to something. Last night a bunch of us in LLJK were racing and Commrade Flynn I'm going to slightly call you out to mostly help others.

If you're in a race and it's a serious one, ala actual laps around a track with non-comedy Goon Bus options, and you see someone behind you clearly having more speed than you simply pick a side of the road and stick to it.

If you happen to round a corner and you're on the inside going to the next corner, stay in your lane and let the other person pass. Even if you're slightly ahead of them it's not a smart idea to try to swerve into their lane to cut them off. Because unless you've got your entire car in front of them you'll only serve in PIT'ing yourself by turning into their front end. Ideally you should let them pass and hope that in them attempting to pass you they'll compromise their next corner and if you've set yourself up then you can re-pass them since you have a better line. Getting a back and forth like that is some of the most exciting racing you can do.

That's why Flynn after about 2-3 races everyone kept hitting you on straights, because no matter if someone had more speed than you, you did everything to block them repeatedly. People will only take it for so long until they get frustrated at being held up by you that they'll smash you off the road.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Rickets posted:

What was this in, LLJK? The GISH races I've been in (I've put a good 5+ hours online racing in the last few days) have been really good, lots of variety.. maybe 15% dicking around but the rest has been some serious racing.
That's not happening in LLJK, or at least hasn't been in any of the races I've been in this past week. Hell because I hadn't done any gimmick races when I hosted the other day I actually tried to do my first game of tag.

Of course I ended up loving up the settings and somehow everyone was 'it' without any way to ever become anything else. :downsbravo:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

I said come in! posted:

Looking at the list on Forzacentral, I can live without those cars. Not $20+ extra worth it. I can put that towards the season pass instead and get 60 cars.
You will also get gifted cars throughout the lifecycle of the game because you're a VIP with custom liveries and such so that's something to consider too.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Ringo Star Get posted:

You know the funny thing is you take a job doing videogame-related work and you think you have enough time for videogames and it turns out that you do more work and less videogames.

I'm still alive Forza bros :(
That is a lie because I still play a ton of games, maybe not Forza 4 but I can still play many videogames

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

GreatGreen posted:

Is there any reason why this type of system wouldn't work with a traditional gas powered car?
It does work that way in a lot of cars now. I know my Audi A4 has it, as do apparently a lot of Nissan cars as an option.

For the A4 you can get a Manual or CVT car. Though the 'manual' mode for my A4 does have fake gears, all 7 of them, though when you're in automatic mode it seems to 'shift' gears nonetheless.

edit: Corrected the available options for the transmission

real_scud fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Nov 9, 2011

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

TannhauserGate posted:

/\This came from this\/

It is insanity.
Honestly though, the Pikes Peak edition doesn't really share anything with the base model except for a body-shell that's made out of carbon-fibre. It could really be based on whomever paid Tajima the most that year.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Finally got my Fanatec CSR and CSR Elite pedals and holy jesus is this going to take some adjusting to get used to them all.

This morning when I tried to do some Rivals stuff to just get the feel of things again, I realized because I've been so used to 2-pedal setups my brain instinctively says "Outside pedal = brake" which doesn't actually do so much for braking.

Anyone who made the switch have any tips on how to get used to the 3-pedal setup easier? Is the best way to simply play as much as you can?

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

GOD IS BED posted:

e2: It wasn't last page, here they are:
Awesome thanks for reposting 'em, I'll try them out whenever I get out of work.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Cojawfee posted:

Is the auto clutch coming to the regular CSR? I want that.
Ditto, hopefully it'll happen soon.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Hello Spaceman posted:

Pop quiz: What has Spa, Fiorano, and a poo poo-ton of Ferraris, both old and new?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlE08rR7UxU
It looks nice, and SMS can make a decent racer, but it seems like every car got way too tail-happy

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Mac Tonight posted:

Remember what happened when Porsche tried that?
hoo boy

On the other hand there's this...

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Hello Spaceman posted:

Have any of my fellow Fanatec shitlords toyed with the idea of getting this shifter for their wheels because despite the price (I like throwing money at problems) it seems like it might be awesome.
For that much why wouldn't you get the Fanatec CSR shifter set, it's only $60. You get a gated shifter plus a separate sequential shifter if you want to use that instead.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Puddin posted:

Does the iPad actually integrate into the system?

EXPLAIN YOURSELF!
Looks like it's iHud for iRacing

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

xzzy posted:

I made a version of Laguna Seca once and people were all "where's the jumps??" :negative:
There are some crap version of Trackmania tracks but there are also some awesome ones. And you made a realistic track for the wrong game, Trackmania is all about doing crazy jumps, wall-rides and other super unrealistic stuff

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

GhostDog posted:

1986 #2 Audi Sport quattro S1

OH. MY. loving. GOD.
It had better sound loving mental

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

ANAmal.net posted:

I'll drop 20 bucks for a shitload of Porsches. I don't usually bother with the car packs, but thirty loving Porsches holy poo poo.

Not sure what to think about this Forza Horizon thing. It'll probably be bad, and it's not even developed by Turn 10, but if it's TDU with Forza's physics and tire model, damage, customization, and graphics, I could get behind that. Way too early to tell, though, and I kind of think the best-case scenario is a Call of Duty thing where they put out a new one every year and the ones from a Treyarch year are always terrible. As long as it has a livery editor and police chases, I'll probably give it a shot.
It could be like CoD stuff, but honestly if you look at the credits for F3 and F4 you'll notice that there are a shitton of other people that touch the game code in the form of outsourcers. Like the actual Forza team seems to only be 20-30 people big which is pretty small for a game of this size.

So I'm not entirely worried about Forza Horizon being bad, because I really would love for an open world racer that has better roads and physics than TDU.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

xzzy posted:

Didn't EA lose their NASCAR license too?

Maybe they decided driving games are dumb and to not make them anymore.
We didn't lose it so much as not renew it because it didn't make any money at all.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Looks like we're gonna get the new Viper as Forza DLC really soon, so guess that means there'll be another car pack maybe after the Porsche stuff.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

DrPain posted:

"All in game footage"

So how do we peel out of the hangar or get the camera to pan tilt and zoom from a fixed point?
Get a dev box and enable the developer tools of course!

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Looks like they didn't fix the free pack, I had queued it up via the xbox.com link earlier today and it downloaded just fine and all the cars are there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZLS5jpue30&hd=1
Whoops...

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Two for the price of one! :v:
Yeah I didn't notice the other one until I saw the replay and then laughed and thought it was perfect to upload.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

He's not a person, he's a robot programmed to play racing games.
Until you force him to use a wheel, and then he's mortal.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

I said come in! posted:

This appears to be the official box art, it was posted on the official FM Facebook anyways.

Well at least it'll be nice to be able to find your box even with the lights completely off. I can't imagine what a large shelf of games will look like though.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

Don't some of the CoD games allow 64 in one game at a time?
Pretty sure you're thinking of BF3 on PC which has a server limit of 64 people and only has that on PC. Don't think CoD or anything else has 64 player servers on their MP games.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Falken posted:

PS4 will probably let you use your Fanatec equipment too as well as G25/G27/DFP.
No because like the Xbone the PS4 has a new format for their controllers so you can't use your existing ones.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Basticle posted:

Arent all Thrustmaster wheels made like poo poo anyway? Where do they get off charging four hundre---- oh. Ferrari.
They used to make some really good wheels a while back but I have no idea what their recent build quality is like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

Seymour Butts posted:

Theoretically, if I decided that I'm going to forego an Xbone in favor of a gaming PC would it be unrealistic that a racing game of Forza 5's quality would show up in the semi-near future? I want to finally build a little racing set up which is quite an investment. Forza 5 is a launch title which means I should be able to get years of entertainment out of it, but what about in five years? I haven't heard great things about the wheel options for the Xbone. Are the wheel options for PC any better? The same?
There's a little game called pCARS it looks beautiful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6X2Q6xFSF4

It hasn't come out yet, but they're in closed alpha right now but they're updating the physics every week and it's getting better and better.

The wheel options for PC are amazing and almost unlimited, but if you want to race for a long time and with lots of different cars then yes, switching to PC is a completely valid option.

• Locked thread