Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Is affinity raised playing online?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Wait, so level 5 already gives you free upgrades, is there any other incentive for the next 45 levels? Other than showing everybody how much you love BMW of course.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Finally got into the 1.42s on the Zonda. Jarf, I was following your ghost and went from five car lengths behind you to ten in front of you in that long downhill right, the one with the traffic sign at the apex. I hosed up the blind sweeper after the uphill section and lost it all, but I thought you'd like to know that you leave tons of time lying around there, I think you have to take it slower and turn inside way more.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Daemonite posted:

Alright, I'm going to be the jerk I guess. As much as I love this series, I'm not very excited about this release. I'm curious if anyone else feels the same way.

The demo showed a much improved cockpit mode and the new physics system is sweet, but where is the content? There's really only four new tracks (be honest with yourself, the Top Gear track is a gimmick that will get old pretty quickly). While the graphics have improved, they are drowned out by overdone contrast and lighting effects. It's like Forza 3 with the ENB-Series shader mod applied to it.

It has a distinct recycled feeling that's worse than the move from GT3 to GT4 for those of you who remember that. I know I'll get this game eventually, but I have a feeling I'll burn out on it pretty quickly from all the similarities to its predecessor.

The physics, cockpit mode and not to forget the sound do a lot more for me than a few new tracks ever could. They finally infused some passion into the driving experience, where previously it felt mechanical, and consequently this demo made me way more excited for the upcoming release than all the other Forza's.

I can see where you're coming from, but I do wonder how widespread this sentiment is and how it falls between the lines of wheel/controller and assist/no assist users.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Daemonite posted:

Regarding the graphics, this is the first game where I've had to change my Xbox video settings from Expanded to Limited. The game crushes blacks and whites and has a really slow HDR transition, like worse than that one Half-life 2 tech demo. Check out the tunnel in the demo for example.

I really have no problems with the contrast at all. It seems appropriate for a high-altitude, sunny day track in a snowy environment. Are you sure your TV/monitor is properly calibrated?

I said come in! posted:

Turn-10 said it takes one year to create a race track.

drat. That kinda limits the possibilities regarding DLC. I won't lie, I wouldn't mind paying for Bathurst or Spa.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

MUFFlNS posted:

Ok so the physics were terrible but Turn 10 could have just patched them anyways.

Yes, they could have just patched a new physics engine into the game including updating all the performance data for the cars to work with said new physics engine and also adding another 4 cars (8 in multi) to the track while keeping everything at 60 FPS :rolleyes:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

MUFFlNS posted:

I don't even know where to begin with this :ughh:

What else did you mean by "They could have just patched this"?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

I said come in! posted:

I think he is talking about how GT5 is getting a new physics engine patched in.

Yeah, in the time it takes Turn10 to release a finished new game.

Edit: Although, to be fair, it's very nice of them to do that for free. Then again, they released a demo for nearly full price (Prologue), then an unfinished game after six years of development, so they probably feel they have a bit to make up for.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Oct 7, 2011

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Tanz-Kommandant posted:

I'm still waiting for "Gran Turismo 5"

The "Gran Turismo 5" that I bought is definitely not the sequel to the amazing game that was GT4. :colbert:

I loved GT4 to death, especially the Nordschleife. GT5 was supposed to be the game to get a PS3 for, then it took forever to come out and the reviews were underwhelming. It took the trifecta of Demon's Souls, Uncharted 2 and God of War 3 to finally do for me what GT5 should have done alone.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

MUFFlNS posted:

Tweaking and adjusting the physics engine is possible. Obviously they couldn't just patch in a whole new physics engine (this is where you're getting confused I think) but doing tweaks such as making the steering assist optional etc should have been easy for Turn 10 to implement.

Everything they said and everything I played tells me that they overhauled the physics engine way beyond tweaks and making the steering asssist optional. The whole tire simulation is supposed to be brand new. Granted, they could have overstated their efforts, but I don't quite have any reason to believe they did so.

In the end it probably comes down to "how it feels" a lot, and there it gets highly subjective anyway.

Edit:

MUFFlNS posted:

Adjusting physics after launch is by no means impossible though :)

Agreed, of course!

Day Man posted:

I never liked amalfi full, actually.

Liked it in theory, never actually played it all that often.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 7, 2011

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
2,481 - MasterSchaf -01:42:598
2,705 - Jarf - 01:42:697

I think I peed a little in the last corner.

Edit: Also, I'm sorry for posting times, but... I tried so hard, and came so far.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 7, 2011

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Jarf posted:

I almost hate to do this GhostDog but....

MasterSchaf - 1:42.598
Jarf - 1:42.576

That's right, I'm .02 seconds faster than you :coal:

WHY? Why only .02 seconds? I could concede if you made it into the 41s. I could just go "Welp, I lost" and back out gracefully. But .02 seconds? I can surely find another .03 seconds! I might even get lucky and only need to drive another thirty. loving. laps.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Loaded up the demo one last time (hopefully getting my copy tomorrow), decided to put on some custom music while driving the M5 through traffic and ended up spending over an hour just driving. Same car, same track, not even going for time. Just... driving.

I'm a dead man. I'm going to die with my rear end fused to my seat and my hands glued to my wheel. On the screen, my souped up E30 will scratch along the guardrails at Bergwerk - my foot decomposing on the pedal - while a procession of F-class econoboxes pass by indifferently and indefinitely. The lap counter killed by an overrun error, dead like me.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9ZAhHDv2Oc&ob=av3e

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I scratched my car :(

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
:haw:

:gonk:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Soooo, do we have a Euro club and how do I get in?

Also, Freude am Fahren.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Adam Kensai posted:

Whenever I try to save anything, I get an error message that tells me my save file is corrupt and I should delete it and then everything will be puppies and rainbows. 1) Is that the real solution? 2) What do I lose if I delete it?

http://forums.forzamotorsport.net/forums/thread/4869282.aspx

quote:

It has recently come to our attention that some of you may be receiving a corrupt save message when trying to save a file. This could happen with tunes, replays, paints or photos. While we are working on this issue please follow the steps below.

The Message: Your save file is corrupt. Please delete it from the Xbox Dashboard and create a new one.

If you receive the message above when trying to save a file please follow these directions:

1. Go to the Xbox Dashboard.
2. Move to My Xbox then scroll to the right and select “System Settings”.
3. From inside System Settings select “Memory” then select the location where your game saves are located (for most people this will be on the hard drive).
4. Scroll down the list until you find Forza Motorsport 4.
5. From inside the Forza Motorsport 4 memory saves, you want to select the file that was corrupted. In most cases the file you are looking for will say “Corrupted” and have “!” next to it.

NOTE: PLEASE DO NOT DELETE your Game Save, If you do, you will lose all your game progress. Here is a list of the naming structure of your Forza Motorsport 4 saves:

(Your Gamertag) Saved Game – DO NOT DELTE THIS FILE. This is your main game save file and should only be deleted as a last resort.
(Your Gamertag) Car Setup Files Saved Game - These are your Tune Files.
(Your Gamertag ) PHOTOS Saved Game – This is all of your saved photos.
(Your Gamertag) LAYER GROUPS Saved Game – These are all of your created and purchased layer group files.
(Your Gamertag) Design Catalog Saved Game – These are all of your created and purchased car designs.
(Your Gamertag) Replays Saved Game – This save contains all our your saved replay info.
(Your Gamertag) WMV MOVIES Saved Game – This save contains all our your saved movies.
GHOSTS Saved Game – This is where your best time ghost files are saved locally.
(Your Gamertag) Game Options Saved Game – These are your saved game options.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Jarf posted:

:siren: Euro/UK Goons :siren:

The "Something Awful Eurogrüppen" is open for business and we desperately need a recruitment drive.

Thanks for the invite. It's going to be Saturday before I can put some serious time in, but I'm definitely going to devote some of that to (try to) fly our flag in some of the rival leaderboards.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
This game just throws levels, money and cars at you :haw:

And not having to pay for upgrades is fantastic, although it might have been a bit more rewarding to give that particular reward out at higher affinity levels.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Sunday Punch posted:

Everyone needs to go do the Top Gear rivals challenge with the Radical on the 'Ring. It's so much fun!

I did that yesterday, because I love the ring, but getting a clean lap is such a pain. Everytime you gently caress up it's 7 minutes down the drain. My best clean lap is still one from a standing start, and even there I got progressively more cautious and slower towards the end.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I haven't played online in a while, so today I had to spent nearly two hours restarting my router again and again trying not to get the dreaded "moderate NAT" message from my XBox, which results in me being unable to join any lobby. It just sometimes stops working for whatever reason, without actually changing any settings. Does anyone have any idea what that could be?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
No ma'am, we're musicians.

I need to figure out how to create scratches and dirt and so on.

Also this:

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Will you put this on the marketplace? I NEED it.

Does it have the BDR 529 Illinois plate?

As far as I can tell there's no way to add a plate :(

I guess I can put it up, but it's really only a few white rectangles, I wouldn't be suprised if somebody has already put up a proper dirty version.

I need to start doing something else other than repeatedly redressing the same car...

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Bentai posted:

You should be able to make a license plate vinyl pretty easily of that old IL license plate. Hell I can give it a crack after I get home from work late tonight if it hasn't already been done. It won't be dead on accurate, but it'll do the trick.

The problem is you can't put it on the car in the place where a license plate would be. That area is just not workable :(

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Baggins posted:

Remember to tune your F and B class cars for next week guys.

I wish I wasn't so poo poo at tuning, my cars always barrel along at the edge of control.

Case in point: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNv-aPBhbmw

Luckily the EVO drives like a dream with pretty much any tune, so at least in B and A class I can keep up.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Is my inability to join a lobby related to the current server problems or is it something on my end?

Maybe it's for the better anyway, I need to get up early tomorrow.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

General Probe posted:

I suspect no one has answered you because no one knows what the gently caress you are talking about. Car group rather than your club, what is that?!

I think he's talking about the car groups you can create for your car listing in grid view.

And to answer the question: The only method to completely unassign a car is to delete the group. Move the car to a temp group first, then delete that group.

Edit:

And someone sent me a Bluesmobile license plate. I appreciate the effort, but on the car in question neither front nor back allow for liveries in any of the places a license plate would be. In fact, the whole front is completely unworkable, and in the back the best one could do is to slap it on the trunk.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Oct 17, 2011

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Did I miss something or am I restricted to the car/track combinations in the event list for traffic races? Meaning I can't just pick my E30, D class traffic and Nordschleife, for example? Because if so gently caress THAT.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

bich posted:

press start on the event list screen for a difficulty screen that lets you force all ai to stock cars & remove upgrade limits for races

That only seems to open up class-based restrictions, all other restrictions (make, model, drivetrain etc.) still apply.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Athanatos posted:

Here is one of today's Jarf Invitational Races:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrQ9xQZg33Q

Man, now I wish I followed the invite. I was kinda stuck in test drive mode determined to get a hang on the loving tuning.

I didn't.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

xzzy posted:

I held the extremely unpopular but objectively correct and thus entirely justified opinion that the Countach was the ugliest car on the planet back in elementary school..

I concur.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I feel bad for not adding any cars to the club garage, but I suck at tuning, so I don't really know what to add :(

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Jarf posted:

Everybody! You should make sure you have an open NAT. Get these ports open.

TCP 80
UDP 88
UDP 3074
TCP 3074
UDP 53
TCP 53

Otherwise Forza 4 lobbies will actually become allergic to you.

I have those open (and had for a while), but my connection test still shows moderate NAT 95% of the time. Some googling seems to suggest it's an issue with my particular router (that I can't easily replace because it comes with my VDSL+IPtv connection), and that it's not a problem if it shows moderate NAT - at least not for most of the games out there. Forza however seems to really hate it. I just spent two hours trying to fix this poo poo, and it pretty much sucked all the enthusiasm I had for this game right out of me.

Edit: Hahaha, if I log into my router and deactivate and reactive the port rules, the Xbox shows an open NAT. But only for the first test, I can immediately restart the test and suddenly I'm moderate. gently caress this poo poo.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Oct 22, 2011

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

SirViver posted:

One thing I had to do on my router/modem was to make sure the XBox has a fixed IP assigned. Not sure why that would affect anything, but maybe it helps in your case, too.

Didn't make a difference :(

I guess I have to do the whole "reset router and pray" spiel anytime I want to play online.

BlazeKinser posted:

Once all the crap players go flocking to Battlefield 3 and reduce the server load it'll probably start to get better. It was the same way with Forza 3 for the first month or so as well.

Well, that leaves some time to grind, do hotlaps and so on.

Did anyone have a look at those overall stats, with values in the tens and hundreds of hours? How are those calculated?

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

ihop posted:

Edit: also, this is entirely my opinion, but I have yet to find an engine or drivetrain swap that was a considerable improvement, drag racing not withstanding. It seems like the typically massive boost in power, coupled with a disturbance in balance, usually does as much harm as good. I would be curious to hear any swaps others have found especially effective.

I put the M5 E92 engine into the M5 E28 (tuned to A600), the new engine has a smoother power band and is better controllable accelerating out of a corner. I took it out again though because engine and drivetrain swaps change the characteristics (especially the sound) of a car so much, I can't really enjoy them.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
November Speed Pack Trailer

quote:

2012 Lamborghini Aventador LP700-4
2012 Aston Martin Virage
2011 #2 Audi Sport Team Joest R15++ TDI
2011 Audi RS3 Sportback
1957 Chevrolet Bel Air
2012 Dodge Charger SRT8
2011 Ferrari #62 Risi Competizione F458 Italia
2013 Ford Focus ST
1992 GMC Typhoon
2011 Volkswagen Scirocco R

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Apparently the popular xbox modding tool that allows you to futz with your profile/savegames on a thumbstick and then resigns the content so the Xboxen doesn't even notice it's tinkered with has allowed people to unlock any locked designs and then resell them and kill the economy.

This sucks. But as someone who's poo poo a doing liveries it also sucks that they didn't include some kind of "open for modification" shape, so designers could designate places - especially on proper racing liveries - where people could put their racing numbers.

Edit: It also sucks that I can't get the 2012 M5 to turn in properly, no matter what I do it feels heavy and sluggish. Or is that just so for the newer sports limousines? I generally drive pre-2000 stuff.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Nov 2, 2011

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

Falken posted:

I would have preferred less races but give all the races more laps. 3 laps isn't enough to get into your groove.

It is simply not enough to race. It's enough to get in front by outclassing the competition with an overpowered car (or easy AI), or to bumpercar yourself up there in a car more in line with the rest of the field. But it's not enough to have a real race where you work for and set up 4,5,6 or more proper passing maneuvers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
IGN, eh?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

• Locked thread