Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

This whole hotlapping thing is fairly new to me so it's never dawned on me how hard it is to get a completely clean lap. I've never really paid attention to it so quite frankly I don't think I've ever done one at all prior to now. Hell, even in this it took me forever to even start a lap cleanly because of the carryover from the last few corners. When I finally got a good one I played it real safe and ended up with a time of 1:47:7ish in the zonda. I can easily shave a lot of time off once I nail the track a bit better since I pussed out a lot toward the end in fear of ruining my clean status.

That said, consider this a call-out Sigma One! My goal is to get in the :45s by the time the full game is released so anyone can add me if you're around :46 and want to rival each other because as of now I've only got a few people in my friends that have played the demo. GT: Rabbit Holed

e: I like that pre-order Subaru. I don't suppose anybody might be up to trade it for the Alfa Romeo? If not, would I at least be able to pick one up in the auction house?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Got a text today saying that my LCE is ready to be picked up tomorrow! Even better, I don't have work or anything going on for a few days! I was going to join the LFA train but it dawned on me that there's way too many cars for me to drive already so it won't be a big deal to go without it unless there comes a time that I just want to buy it or get it as a reward.

e: shittttt, 16 person races are going to be insane tomorrow

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Holy poo poo, the tire modeling is amazing. Upgrades seem to have a muuuuuch more noticeable difference than in F3. Also I'm glad to see that pre-race revving is possible with manual+clutch. I'm loving this game so far; everything seems optimized to make the entire experience more fun.

e: best part about the game is that AI gets upgraded to match you in world tour. No more tuning a car to be competitive only to out-class 80% of the other drivers! There's actually a complete grid of road-worthy cars in each race this time

Teeter fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Oct 11, 2011

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

AwwJeah posted:

Everyone do themselves a favor and play the Top Gear Nurburgring rivals challenge.

Holy poo poo that was nuts.

Haven't got there yet, but I just did the Fujimi challenge with traffic on the road and that was a blast. That'll be a great one to run spec cars on for rivals challenges.

e: I suppose it couldn't hurt to ask again, but I'd really like to get my hands on the preorder Subaru if anybody has a spare code. I can trade for the Alpha Romeo Guilietta if anybody wants that but otherwise if somebody who went through amazon just isn't interested or ended up with an extra code through all this preorder nonsense then I'd love to get it.

Teeter fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Oct 11, 2011

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

jonathan posted:

I wish we could import our cars and money from a forza 3 savegame. I've ground through the FWD beginner races of racing sims for 15 years now. Just let me keep my giant car collection and race the advanced races. :( I figure I will finish rage and portal 2 before I buy this one.

It's not much of an issue at all. I played F3 but wasn't even maxed out or anything and still had a great start in this game. I think I was only 39 in F3 but had 8 or so cars transfer, plus 49k credits. Not to mention this game just throws money and prize cars at you. I've done the first 2 seasons, using a car that was already sitting in my garage, and am now up to 20 or so to choose from spreading from F to R3.

You'll probably start with at least a 430 Scuderia, Murcielago, and possibly an LFA if you had that or get it from someone in this thread. That's far from a FWD beginner race to kick off with

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I'm glad you get money for moving up on the leaderboards in rivals. I just spent a half hour trying to beat Sigma One's time on that HKS Lancer hotlap but couldn't do it. I made it within .1 of him so we're sitting at 114 and 121 on the leaderboard and while I couldn't get a bounty, it still gave me about 50k for setting that time.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

I don't even know what to do with myself in this game. I've worked through a few seasons so along with online play it's brought me up to lvl 17 or so. Money has been thrown at me, upgrades for all of my favorite manufacturers are free, and I have a garage of road-worthy cars starting to build. I haven't had any reason so spend any money yet so I've got more floating around than I ever had in F3.

Anybody have favorite cars or hidden gems? I'm so overwhelmed by the choices that I don't know who to throw my money at.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

T1g4h posted:

God I love this little bastard. Best level up reward ever, especially when you throw some dark, matte gray Volk TE37s on it :h:

Ha, I chose the same reward with that same paintjob. It's one hell of a D class car

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Look what you've done, Forza. You had to go and throw money at me to the point where I didn't know what to do with it and now look what happened.

e: on a related note, stage 3 weight reduction for the Hummer takes off 2k+ lbs. It's like I've removed an entire car from this behemoth.

e2: Like a boss

Teeter fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Oct 13, 2011

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

The F class hybrid event is the worst thing in the world. It's all quiet, slow, and as awkward as it is boring. I had to turn it off after a lap because I just couldn't take it. At least it can be interesting when there's 12 goons in electric cars but against the AI.... no thank you

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Logue posted:

Does anyone know if there is a difference in the type of racing people prefer in LLJK, SAEG, and GISH? I've noticed in LLJK it's mostly screwing around or doing gimmick races instead of class races. Are the other groups the same/different?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3442437

GTCC does serious internet racing. I just started with them this past week and while there's been a few gimmick races, most of it revolves around picking a class or spec to do for weekly races. It's been a lot of fun, just make sure you can race cleanly and minimize the type of douchebaggery that's common in public games.

There's also Bentron on these forums who runs dice racing so get in contact with him on XBL if you want to be included in that. The basics are that one dice is rolled to determine which player in the lobby chooses a track, then another is rolled which decides the class. There's some more rules aside from that which I'm unsure of but the end result is a randomized race setup that keeps things fresh.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Two gripes that some of you may have answers for:

1: Is there any point where I won't be starting 6/8 or 8/12? I'm in the expert league, level 30 something, and I still start every race at the back of the pack which is a pain.

2: I haaaaate how they're giving me upgraded cars as rewards and wish that I could receive them stock. I use a car's base PI to figure out where I can use it or how it can best be optimized and it's driving me crazy to see every single thing in my garage maxed out in a different way than I would end up tuning it myself. My workaround has been to browse the car shop and seeing what I already own because I can then reset the default setup once I get a good base to start with.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

JaysonAych posted:

Are you saying that you wish the reward car would just show the base PI during the reward selection process? Because once you get the reward car, you can remove all of the upgrades with that Reset Default Upgrades option in the setup screen.

Yes, I wish I could see the base PI or just receive them stock. Whenever I want to find a car to drive that I've tuned myself I have to dig through handfuls of other ones that have been given to me because they're all the same PI. An A600 in my garage no longer means that work has been put in to it because there aren't any A class cars I own that aren't A600. I don't see a way to favorite or add a star to any car either so unless I've overlooked that it's making it a drag to sort my garage and I imagine it will become a total nightmare later on. I'm aware that you can reset to default but that's my main gripe; I'd rather receive them stock in the first place.

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Do the old tuning calculators work well enough with this game? I imagine that things may be much different this time around with body roll and the new tires but I'm pretty hopeless when it comes to figuring specific numbers for suspension settings so I'd like to start using one of those again

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Daft 'Vette! Inspired by Guy Homme's helmet:

I've made some minor changes since taking the photos but you get the gist of it

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

For anyone who's never done it, here's car soccer in a nutshell:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKMoD5fe-LY

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

She's not the fastest out there but sure is fun to drive. I'm decent with the vinyl editor but it's incredible to be able to save a lot of effort by finding stuff like this on the storefront. 6000 credits for a tampax logo, what a steal!

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Rabbit Holed rollin' the dice

e: gently caress you! ^^^^

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

DOGS DOGS DOGS DOGS DOGS

need a livery for that one

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Ringo Star Get posted:

So I'm trying to do some paintjobs and I originally started doing an Adidas logo for this Koenig, but it turned into some artsy stripes. What should I do next?

That looks pretty rad, I like it.

Here's my tried-and-true secret for making awesome decently cool race liveries that I've used since Forza 2.... Shoes! I consider myself to be fairly mediocre with the vinyl editor - I could never make any sort of drawing or photorealistic stuff - but I can mess about with shapes fairly well and often times just needed some inspiration. I sat down one day and noticed my Asics had some cool stripes so I recreated them on a car, took it a bit further, and soon had a race livery. Now I still use that same principle for a lot of my cars. I'll lay down a base coat of vinyls that match the colors, stripes, or overall design of my shoes, then just add a number plate and some manufacturer decals and it looks like a passable livery.

Here's a fairly basic looking rock climbing shoe I've got (mine is a bit more red):

and the forzamobile equivalent!

Here's another pair and what I turned it to in F4, though all I could find are an ugly black/orange picture online. Mine are more of the ugly grey/teal like the Noble:

I wish I would have realized how much BS it is to paint a Noble before investing so much time in to it. I put about an hour in to recreating the text and laying down the base coat only to find that it doesn't work when you mash the two together on that car. It took forever getting things to line up between the sides/roof and avoiding the side scoop thing but in the end I think I got it working.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

CaseFace McGee posted:

Thanks for the great racing last night. There were some fantastic battles all night long.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NW-ntXaoXG0&hd=1

EDIT: added HD goodness

Awesome.

I got a bunch of invites that made me sad because I really wanted to join but my Live just expired :(

• Locked thread