Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
What is taking Netflix so long at pushing closed captioning updates for anything other than the PS3? It's fairly annoying since some titles have very soft speech but deafening explosions and the like, so captioning would be a plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Didn't yesterday's update give the 360's Netflix app captions? I updated my system but didn't try out Netflix, though I've heard a few people say that captions on 360 are now an option.

Oh really? I haven't turned mine on yet to get the update.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
It seems the XBOX 360 subtitles are pretty broken, it is a random chance if they will work in a movie or not and when playing TV series episodes it takes until the second one you watch for them to pop up. Sorta annoying.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

TrixRabbi posted:

The Final Cut's the one you want. Yeah, there's a lot of versions of Blade Runner floating around out there.

The Directors (90s) cut has a couple moments that the Final Cut changes for the worse Roy going Father/Fucker to Tyrell is not ambiguous and can no longer be heard either way, which was an odd change since the original was perfect.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I loved that movie, aside from some of the slow pacing at points. I think we are among the few, though. Everyone I knew at the time hated the title, the premise, the visual aesthetic, and wanted nothing to do with it, but I can't imagine why. It was essentially DC Comics' Blackhawks meets Marvel Comics' S.H.I.E.L.D. (including Angelina Jolie as a sexy female version of Nick Fury), set in the world of the '40s Max Fleischer Superman cartoons.

The fact that half the movie is in a rather disgusting soft lens sepia tone didn't do much for watching it. The universe was good, but the whole FULLY BLUESCREEN gimmick didn't really pan out well.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Hewlett posted:

I just rewatched this last night as well - it's a great farcical sort of French comedy. Jean Dujardin has such a massively expressive face it's impossible to not find his performance charming. The song he plays after his cover is blown in the aforementioned scene is fantastic as well.

Other highlights:
- sight gags like the jump cut to his messed-up hair becoming instantly coiffed after he slicks it back.
- The be-fezzed enemy agent who WON'T STOP reporting OSS 117's location, even to his employer's annoyance.
- The foot chase where he gradually becomes lost and eventually asks directions back to his hotel (to no avail).

The second OSS parody movie, OSS 117: Lost in Rio is going to be taken off within the next two days. It's just as funny.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Mustached5thGrader posted:

Just watched Videodrome. That sure was something:stare:

Criterion Collection has a couple of notes from the test screenings of Videodrome on their website. A highlight:

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Tewratomeh posted:

Fuuuuuuuu...

Okay, just to vent here, I put Netflix on hold for a bit specifically because I wanted my huge queue to be saved and ready for when I got some money together to start paying monthly again. Then today, as soon as my account is re-activated, the whole queue's been gutted. It's gone, everything.

Unless there's some little hiccup and the list pops back up later, I'm cancelling Netflix forever. gently caress that.

I would actually enjoy this because apparently there's 170 instant watch movies that are "saved" but not visible, causing all kinds of troubles in my main queue.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

TrixRabbi posted:

There's something to be said for Dogtooth as a comedy, but that's probably the last word I would use to describe that movie to somebody.

Netflix has had Trainspotting as a comedy for ages.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

maxnmona posted:

Yeah, Trainspotting has dark moments obviously, but if I had to give it a single label I would say comedy.

Netflix usually comes up with categories like "Dark Comedy' or "Critically-acclaimed Sentimental Dramas". Just "Comedy" is strange.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

hypersleep posted:

How the hell did they gently caress this up? The movie was originally mixed in mono for gently caress's sake :psyduck:

I watched a copy of Heat that had no music or vocal sounds, just gunshots a couple years ago. They fixed it eventually.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

So much so I lost a bet that he was the voice of Awesome X from Frisky Dingo (it was Chris Parnell) just because anything animated should have his voice.

Awesome X/Xander Crews has always been voiced by Adam Reed. As is Killface. You both lost that bet.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
I don't know what the deal is but the Netflix app is a buggy piece of crap on the Kindle Fire. Constant stoppages, returning to the movie selection menu, unsynced audio, etc. It was working fine before but ever since they decided to update in June it's been broken.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Stubb Dogg posted:

Fi/se/no/dk goons, if you're Spotify Premium subscriber you can get your Netflix free until end of the year using http://netflix.com/spotify to sign up.

And people are reporting that apparently it works even if you're not Spotify subscriber.

You don't even need a credit card that has its address in Sweden, all you need is a Swedish IP. I even signed in through a Facebook account which clearly shows I'm in the US in the location too.

edit: For some reason the Scandinavian Netflix doesn't have instant queue.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Oct 18, 2012

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

MustardMaster posted:

Well, I do live in Finland. So Netflix has different movies for different countries? Any way I can go through these walls?

VPNs basically. The US edition of Netflix has heaps more content than any of the offbrands.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Meow Tse-tung posted:

Sorry if it's been asked, but is there any way to keep track of when new seasons of TV shows I've watched are added? It's getting really frustrating looking up dozens of shows several times a year to see if updates are available, but i don't see any "notify me' kind of options.

If you stick them in your instant queue as you scroll by them it should say NEW EPISODES in a box pasted on the cover art.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
A little amusing tidbit about the closed captioning in Tv series: apparently it's from the broadcast episodes and not from the episode Netflix actually has on Instant. Scrubs has a heap of music that got switched in the first couple seasons since they didn't lock down the rights to it, and the closed captioning reflects what the audio used to be.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 09:03 on Dec 3, 2012

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

maxnmona posted:

Know anyone who is subscribed to HBO and link their HBOGo to your device.

I'm not sure there's a limit on the number of devices/people you can put on it either, I've got at least 4 people who have access to my HBOGo on their own devices (360s mainly) without any issues.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

ChetReckless posted:

Oddly I lose access to my Instant Queue when I switch to a non-Canada region.

European (or at least Scandinavian) Netflix doesn't have an instant queue actually. The US one should though.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

SRM posted:

I feel like the added scenes in Redux kind of serve to entrance you that much more. I've only seen the Redux version of it, but I honestly had no problems with pacing or anything of the sort, since it's supposed to be a hazy, difficult slog for the characters, and while it doesn't sound like a positive thing, I liked that it kind of felt the same to me as the viewer.

The scene that Redux should not have added is the additional one of Kurtz/Brando in broad daylight, it sort of screws with the mystique.
Apocalypse Now is one of those movies where it's tempting to track down the bootleg work print because of the story behind the editing process. It'd be interesting to go from work print-> Redux-> Theatrical.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

der juicen posted:

Looks like The Avengers owned to work on. Also, had no idea of how much was green screened. :aaaaa:

If you think that's amazing watch behind the scenes of tv shows. Most of the exterior/walking around scenes for a show like Law and Order are filmed on greenscreen. http://youtu.be/clnozSXyF4k and http://youtu.be/WhN1STep_zk are done by the same company.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jun 23, 2013

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
If you actually need subtitles Amazon is not your first choice. They are incredibly lazy at implimenting them even after the FCC set a deadline to begin rolling them out last year.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

The biggest thing holding me back [...] is device support

Roku gets the worst out of provider deals, both Direct TV and Comcast refuse to support HBO GO on the box. Comcast at least provides for their goofy Xfinity Ipad app though.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

GonSmithe posted:

The "fucks" were blanked out when they premiered, but uncensored when put on dvd/blu-ray. Same with the woman from the first episode's boobs, and later the strip club.

It's really weird as to which season will actually put the profanity in the DVD release. Season 1 is completely uncensored (including Walt telling Jesse to "Grow a pair of loving balls!" during a cook in one of the episodes) whereas Season 2's release I distinctly remember them dropping out most of the audio from the the "gently caress you." from S2E6. I haven't seen the later seasons episodes so they might have changed it once again.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

...of SCIENCE! posted:

It's less a time machine and more every time the Source Code is activated it creates a splinter universe that continues to exist even after the simulation ends. Which makes the happy ending pretty terrifying since it came at the expense of countless alternate universes where the bombs went off and/or he died horribly, and in the end his original self is still hooked up to the machine and the whole fiasco will repeat itself every time a threat big enough to warrant using the Source Code comes along.

There's also the whole fact that he completely stole that poor bastard's life.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
The hell is going on with Netflix subtitles? They've decided to pull all text from inside the actual movies/shows themselves to put them onto their subtitle system on the mobile app editions. This wouldn't be so bad except in some cases they never bothered to actually add the text (which was especially noticeable in the Japan/China sequences of Kill Bill the other day, which then had no translation) but in other cases they even removed the text from title cards, so you're left staring at a black screen for several seconds wondering the hell is going on. I'm left wondering why they would even bother removing the hard coded subtitles that came with the movie in the first place if they're translations.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Netflix replacing title cards and onscreen text wholly with captions is still one of the most aggravating changes they've done.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

TrixRabbi posted:

Wait, what is this?

So for example, on Better Of Ted there will be fake commericials for Veridian Dynamics which have text. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia8OKMlqxLs

Any of the text that shows up from the original broadcast is removed from the Netflix version, so all you see is the logo on the left and the text through the captioning system, if you don't have the captioning system turned on, they won't show up. Other shows like American Dad which occasionally has onscreen text gags will just show straight up black screens because the white text was removed.

Side note, I don't know why the hell closed captioning services have started putting text at the top of the screen rather than the bottom these days. It ends up blocking people's faces more often than not.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Feb 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Junkie Disease posted:

Every ninja movie I have ever seen in the 80s and 90s is a triumph of fun, bad movie making. Why are 90% of the ninja movies on NF the boring kind? Happy Valentines day indeed!

The lack of Surf Ninjas is a tragedy, it's true.

• Locked thread