Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Any fans in here of the godawful evil-hacker flick .com for Murder? Guest starring Roger Daltrey and Huey Lewis!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
drat, I went to Netflix to see if Parents was still streaming only to discover it has disappeared from Netflix entirely :wtc:

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

DangerDummy! posted:

Also, anyone in the mood for a weird, off putting horror/thriller should watch The Baby. It's real different.

Seconding this. Such a memorably hosed-up old movie.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
The most ironic thing about Detention is that the quietest, slowest performance in the film comes from Dane Cook.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Oh my god, it's by the director of Torque. Suddenly it all makes sense.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
A Simple Plan :negative:

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Skywalker OG posted:

The Comedy is probably the most uncomfortable movie, but I love it.

The Comedy will make you want to curl up and loving die, highly recommended.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
For me they key to Detention was catching on that it doesn't give you time to laugh so you shouldn't bother, and keeping the faith that nothing is just throwaway detail, it all comes back eventually.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
The Sacrament loving sucks because it pretends like it's going to have something valuable to say about Jonestown before instead writing off Jones's victims as dangerous lost causes and devolving into "Don't you hope these poor, brave Vice journalists make it out alright?:ohdear:"

The Time Dissolver fucked around with this message at 12:20 on Sep 21, 2014

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I need to try to watch Red Riding again now that subtitles are presumably an option.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Snowpiercer isn't a meaningful depiction of class struggle because its underclass by and large doesn't labor, HTH.

(e: cleared up phrasing)

The Time Dissolver fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 3, 2014

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Science fiction is a club that Metropolis, Fahrenheit 451, Rendezvous with Rama, The Time Machine and The Matrix all have enough in common to be in together but Star Wars can't for reasons :jerkbag:

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Everybody knows the perfect film is The Lion King. Tell me one loving thing wrong with that movie.

It's really racist.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

I want a sitcom theme song based on this premise and I want it yesterday.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Shoot 'Em Up had a surprisingly engaging plot for something constantly winking at you about its shamelessness.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

sout posted:

I think a lot of people's awareness of Ghostbusters comes from the song.

I think I was in my teens before I even knew there was a movie. I just thought it was a kickass song about busting ghosts, and when I found out it was from a movie I thought for the first time maybe that was kind of a weird subject to just write a song about.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

Zwabu posted:

Holy poo poo everyone watch Phase IV. I'd seen this as a kid in theaters and remember being blown away and disturbed by it but I pretty much forgot everything about it since then.

If you like sci fi at all, or creature features, watch this. I forgot how much of a technical tour de force many of the sequences are. I can only imagine how awesome this could be with a little more budget, although these days they'd do a lot of it with stupid CGI and remove everything awesome about the effects.

Essental viewing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=beLpsWaUDNk (mild :nws:)

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

NeoSeeker posted:

Another movie I consider the last of this trio would be Red Planet. Stupid deaths and disaster all within around the same half a decade. The fuckin tornado scene had me in stitches. Apparently all grip upon you is lost in a tornado when your libs are ripped off. Then I guess the wind doesn't give a poo poo about you anymore.

Are you sure that wasn't Mission to Mars? Or is there more than one movie where a Martian tornado rips a guy's limbs off?

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
I'm only now noticing that the second and third seasons of Small Town Security are up. Are they as fantastic as the first?

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Spoils of Babylon is alright, it's kind of like an American Darkplace. Though it did make me realize I don't think Will Ferrell is funny really at all.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
The people trying to get you to watch Star Wars out of order are the loving worst. You can cram your fanedits too, changing the movie to something marginally better so you can fanboy about it all the more unrestrainedly.

The Time Dissolver fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Feb 2, 2015

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
For fifteen years there were three Star Wars movies and for fifteen years even huge nerdlingers were happy as pigs in poo poo with that being the undisputed, inviolate core of the media empire but now there's eight more hours of pompous, soulless bullshit about as meaningful as a crossword puzzle and they act like the Star Wars experience is and always has been woefully incomplete without it.

gently caress. Production order, period, done.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Wait, are you implying nerds like the Star Wars Prequels?

Very few any more will slobber over them like they did on release, but lots of fans think the prequels are an illuminating, necessary complement to the trilogy and vice versa, and that the real-world circumstances that resulted in each series of films are beneath consideration.

What happens is people who wish the prequels were better try to achieve it by dogmatically tying the prequels to the trilogy, like the quality will rub off. It usually comes up when someone says something like "My buddy has never seen anything Star Wars! We're gonna watch all six of 'em together!" Which is fine but then you get very Star Wars-knowledgeable people saying things like "Watch the prequels first!" or my favorite "Watch Episode I, then New Hope and Empire, then Episodes II and III, then Jedi!" So even an ideal guinea pig who's a tabula rasa on the subject of Star Wars is going to end up confused and unengaged getting yanked the wrong way across the vast gulf in aesthetics and cultural influence that exists between these two series of films.

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

stickyfngrdboy posted:

phooey, these stories are not enough plots and the characters need traits more. thats the only things you can like in the movies

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?

e: all joking aside, I'd love to hear your no doubt parochial-as-hell take on where the line is between substance and craftsmanship.

The Time Dissolver fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 2, 2015

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Boy, that film's production design and music were so wonderful, but the story was pretty rote. And the acting was so unrealistic! What was it called again? "The Umbrellas of Cherbourg"? Meh. Reminded me of Star Wars.

Ugh, I can't stand Chuck Jones cartoons. It seems like that guy's only tricks are impeccable comic timing, hilarious facial expressions, and expressing his characters' states of mind through stylized backgrounds.

The Time Dissolver fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Feb 2, 2015

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
Holy Motors is loving fantastic in every possible way but the Netflix version is bullshit because they blurred a boner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Time Dissolver
Nov 7, 2012

Are you a good person?
The hell of it is that Holy Motors is exactly the kind of movie that would blur a boner out for artistic purposes, so the first time I saw it I didn't think, "Censorship!" I thought, "Fascinating. I can't tell if he's flaccid or erect."

e: They can show erections, or at least they could a few years ago when I watched Antichrist on Instant.

double edit: yeah, or it could be on the distributor's end.

The Time Dissolver fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Feb 14, 2015

• Locked thread