Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Mr. Wookums posted:

Most all veggies are good just sauteed with some oil salt and pepper.

Yeah, this basically. My Chinese mother-in-law stays with us now, and supper is usually a couple of stir-fried vegetable dishes, and a fish or meat dish and alternately a soup. I've so far seen her stir-fry cauliflower, celery stalk (a favourite), celeriac, cucumber, iceberg lettuce (!), cabbage, potato - still crispy, quite tasty! - and of course zucchini, carrot, aubergine (takes time, add a little pork), and her favourite of sugarsnaps. Any vegetable I buy, she cuts up and cooks. Seasoning is usually just white pepper and salt, and often a little sprinkling of granulated chicken stock. It's delish in its simplicity, I'm eating really good these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Freshly baked bread with butter is the best snack in the world. I'm serious. And it costs less than a bag of chips for the additional value of having something for lunch for days. It's also fattening in large amounts, so what's not to love?

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Adult Sword Owner posted:

Today I paid $1 for the saddest bunch of cilantro you'd ever see and it was the best of the lot

If it was wilted, place it in a big bowl of ice cold water for a while. It'll soak up and get springy and fresh again. Also it's a convenient way to wash it off. All my fresh coriander is wilted when I buy it, it looks like it's freshly picked after an hour or two in water.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

You use baking soda in the soaking water and boiling water, this softens the skins up tremendously as well as making a lot of them float to the top if you let the pot simmer slowly, where you can skim them off.

This is basically the magic Middle Eastern hummus trick.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

A dash of chickpea flour helps both keep them together in the skillet as well as make them taste even better, I've found. Just a tip.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

feedmegin posted:

Meat in general is more expensive in the UK than the US. That said, frozen chicken breasts from like Iceland or something are about as cheap relatively speaking to other meats as they are in the US (you'll still get more meat-per-pound with sausagemeat or something, obviously).

Also, our meat is sold in metric these days, so technically y'all are the ones with obtuse units now. :colbert:

I highly recommend buying whole chickens and breaking them up. I make three suppers for two adults and one (fussy) kid out of one 7-800 gram chicken: I carve out the breasts and use those for example for pan-frying, with the benefit that I get the skin too. The legs can be braised in something like adobo or, like last night, cooked with diced carrots, onions, celery, tomatoes and herbs and then shredded to make a very nice chicken ragł for pasta. The carcass I simmer for soup, with lots of root vegetables and noodles and even chickpeas to make it more hearty, with the meat picked from the carcass.

Breaking up a chicken is quite easy but can seem daunting. Most importantly you need a good kitchen knife.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Parmesan rinds are awesome for mixing into slow-cooked soups and stews.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Anchovies are a key part of one of my favourite pasta dishes, which I whore out here on GWS on the regular, Orecchiette alla pugliese. Orecchiette pasta is quite easy to make yourself, just a firm dough of semolina and water rolled into sausages, cut into disks and pressed/smeared with the thumb to make them curl. You can even just tear off little pieces of dough and smear them directly. They boil in about a minute. You can buy orecchiette but it would be sort of like buying frozen home fries.

The condiment is lots of garlic, anchovies (these just melt in the warm oil, no need to mash them) and maybe dried red peppers slowly heated in olive oil, with plenty of broccoli boiled quite soft added in and mushed. Let everything mingle for a while. Add the freshly boiled orecchiette and a splash of cooking water, check salt and seasoning religiously (fish sauce, maybe?) and sprinkle with a little extra good olive oil. It's quite good tepid so I think it would make a good potluck dish as well.