Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

GrAviTy84 posted:

Eating on the cheap is mostly planning.

This a million times. For example, when you plan ahead you go from "I couldn't eat a whole roast chicken" to "I could eat roast chicken and potatoes one night and the next few night use left overs in various forms of chicken and rice". Planning ahead allows you to make effective use of leftovers which not only reduces the waste of cooking for one or two people but also seriously reduces the amount of cooking you have to do. Using left over bits, I put together the main part of my dinner together in the time it takes my rice cooker to make a serving of white rice (with time left over to do the dishes). And seriously, the more ways you find to save yourself effort/time the more likely it is you cook instead of ordering take out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Any recommendations on what to do about eating lunch cheap? Leftovers are obviously a cheap option but eating the same thing for lunch and dinner for a few days at a time makes splurging extremely tempting.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Canadian Bakin posted:

... moose ...
I think you're in the wrong thread. Delicious meats like that do not come cheap!

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Rurutia posted:

I think my only problem with that recipe is that it's only a low effort recipe if you want to make bread often within a short period of time.
You can freeze the dough or just reduce the recipe some to reflect the amount of bread you will eat in a 14 day period.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Speaking of making stock. Right now I just throw scraps of onions, chicken bones, skin I didn't use, etc into a bin in my freezer. It's not cover/sealed so it's freezer burnt and all. Should I be covering/sealing this bin? Will having not done so affect the taste of my stock?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

Depends on how much you eat beans.

Also how good you are at remembering to throw them in a bowl of water before heading to work/class in the morning.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I read this off the back of package of my quinoa and it was suprisingly tastey.

1 cup of cooked quinoa
1 15 oz can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 15 oz can of sweet corn, drained
1 diced red bell pepper

Mix that together, then mix together
3 Tbsp of lime juice
2 Tbsp of olive oil
2 tsp of cummin

fold that into the quinoa/bean/corn/pepper mix. Cheap, not bad, prevents scurvy, what more could you want?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

Dead Inside Darwin posted:

Made a couple out of seasoned rice vinegar, tomatoes, cucumber, cilantro, and mixed greens.

Any tips on not being a gigantic idiot and forgetting them at home?

Stick your keys in the fridge with them?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
Is there a similar thread along the lines of "help! I'm not poor, just lazy and eat out way too much"?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

guppy posted:

Well... there's this entire subforum. What, specifically, is your stumbling block? Is it that you don't know how to cook? Is it that you need new recipes? Is it that you want some simple-to-make options? Is it just that you don't feel like it?

We can help with everything but the last one. If it's the last one there's only so much advice to be given, and you have to just get into the kitchen.

I think my biggest problem winds up being: I get serious about cooking instead of eating out again (like I used back when I broke), I get the ingredients and cook a week's worth of a dish (because that seems to be how all "eat cheap" sort of things work), I eat that for 3 days, get sick of it, go out to eat because I can, and having broken the chain I proceed to stuff my face with take out for the next two weeks.

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
I'm bad at spices. For the canonical cheap food (rice and beans), what are good combinations of spices to mix up the flavor?

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

The Midniter posted:

Boneless skinless chicken breasts.

Boneless skinless chicken breasts often cost almost as much as beef. Other parts of the chicken are cheaper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010
What's your spice situation?