Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Liquid Communism posted:

Neither am I. You can tell you've been poor too long when your idea of splurging on a steak is picking up a piece of chuck.
Chuck eye steaks have the same muscles as ribeye, just further up the steer. They are smaller and fattier and don't hold together as well as a ribeye, but are a great value for money.

A chuck steak is the same as a chuck eye with a big solid muscle over top. Chuck roasts are just really thick steaks on one end, and just regular meat lumps on the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

11b1p posted:

I did it while doing low carb, you have to like hot sauce to begin with though to appreciate this.
I love Frank's Red Hot. Marinate some fresh chicken wings in Franks overnight (or thaw out some cheap-rear end frozen ones, then marinate), place a drying rack over a cookie sheet and bake the wings on that. Tasty and crispy, and wings are pretty cheap.

Did you know that if you save the bones from hot wings to make stock, the stock has a very slight kick to it? It was a pleasant surprise.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Dravinski posted:

If you can find a supermarket with a fishmonger / butcher you can usually get pretty cheap stuff at the end of the day. Final reductions are usually at least 50% of the original price. If they are particularly desperate to sell the items they wind up being pretty cheap. I managed to bag some monkfish tail for about $3 today.
Talk with the fishmonger/butcher and find out when they mark down all of the product. When I worked at a supermarket in meat and seafood, at 7-8 AM we went through the cold cases and put a 30% clearance discount on everything that had to be sold that day. Then at 3-4PM we went through again and anything with a clearance sticker got another sticker to drop it to 50%. Unless it was a strange week with a shitload of stew meat that just doesn't sell, everything with a clearance sticker was gone by 6PM. If you find some beef in the cold case that is going from red to brown, but the sell by date is tomorrow, we will totally give a discount to get it out of the case.

Now fish from the service counter is a different beast. Strange fish that scares people like monkfish or skate can be sold for a song because nobody knows what it is, while tilapia and catfish fly out the door. Well, tilapia and catfish fillets fly out the door, whole fish and head-on shrimp just never sold. 50 cents a pound and nobody bought it.

Honestly, just talk with all of the people running the fresh food side of the supermarket, the produce and deli and meat/seafood and find out when they do the final markdowns. You can get a half priced rotisserie chicken with whatever veg the produce people just have way too much of this week for cheap, you just have to get there at the right time and be ready to throw elbows with the other bargain hunters.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

Pron on VHS posted:

I know this sounds stupid but I am planning on peeling the skin off anyways for health purposes and just eat the meat underneath, so I am okay with non-crispy skin. I'd prefer slow cooking to oven roasting because it lets this be a weekday thing.

I was going to follow this pretty simple recipe for slow cooking a whole chicken: http://www.100daysofrealfood.com/2011/02/25/recipe-the-best-whole-chicken-in-a-crock-pot/
Well if you are ditching the skin for health purposes, take the skin off before slow cooking, dry rub those spices right on the meat, and put the bird breast side down on the onions. If you leave the skin on plenty of fat will render away from the skin to everything else. Maybe even spatchcock it. Cook on low for 8 hours while at work. It's a simple thing.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
While on the subject of pork shoulder, here's a tip: Check the price of a whole shoulder/butt against pork country ribs. When I worked at Harris Teeter in the meat department, sometimes there would be a sale on country ribs, which is just shoulder cut with the bone saw into manageable pieces, and priced cheaply because that was the loss leader sale of the week. When it was on sale it was cheaper than the whole shoulder.

Sometimes the whole shoulder would go on sale, and I would buy 4 of them to make kielbasa. Good times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Spatchcocking the bird allows the thighs to cook faster than a bird left together, so the breast won't overcook before the thighs are done.

Save the back for broth, of course.