Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Does Untangle support WiFi running from the server yet? pfSense is loving pissing me off with getting wireless to work.
edit: loving pfSense :suicide: Here I am sitting on the floor at 2:30am after figuring out that running adhoc or ap mode in pfSense causes kernel panics and it won't let the loving thing boot 24 out of 25 times.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Oct 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Ashex posted:

That actually fits pretty well except it's a bit pricey, is there anything similar to that form factor?
$30 off work?
http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB321LL/A?mco=MTA4MjcyODY

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I see you posted over at [H] too. :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Here is my deal - I live in a house that I don't control the main cable modem in but it's got an Airport Extreme hanging off of it.

In my room I've got a MacBook Pro, 27" iMac, Magney Cours ESXi box, and a Lenovo T400 laptop running Linux. Can I hang a gbit switch off of the T400 and pipe all of the internet traffic on the switch through the N wireless on it? I want to have quick data transfer between the boxes in my room (read: gbit) and all wired, then bridged to the internet though the Lenovo. Can I do this or should I just invest in an Airport Express/Extreme, bridge it to the main Airport Extreme and hang the gbit switch off that?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hmm, okay, I'm just trying to do this as cheaply as possible. I'm tired of running a bunch of VMs off my old-rear end MBP because using them wirelessly on the MC box is too slow. I'll try with the laptop first and then give up and get a used WRT54G or something if that doesn't work.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Ubiquiti NanoStation M is what you want.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

evol262 posted:

Asked and answered in the Linux thread. You can't usually bridge wireless connections with wired because APs reject packets with MACs they haven't authed in the source header.

As noted in the Linux thread (three days ago), you need ebtables or to set up a routed setup. This is very different from your previous question. You can easily SNAT everything behind it and route it. If you want it bridged, you'll need to set up hostapd as a WDS client or get another WDS-capable AP (another Airport would work fine).

Fair enough, can't blame a guy for hoping there was a $free workaround. ;)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I have a strange question.

I have a few machines wired up to an AC Airport Extreme, which is bridged to another AC Airport Extreme elsewhere. I've upgraded the connection to the house and now I'm able to pull ~400mbit when wired up to the main Airport Extreme, but the machines running off the bridged Airport Extreme max out around 125mbit. Can I drop a second bridged extreme in and use the secondary NICs in the bridged machines to trunk?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
These are probably normal dumb questions, but I just bought a three story condo that has a media box in the garage.
I haven't gotten a good look at the wiring in it, but I am working off the non-optimistic assumption that it is probably cat5 non-e.

I've got some Ubiquiti stuff, do people actually leave that in the media boxes in the garage, or do they normally end up pulling a bunch of wire somewhere in the house and not using the box? If you're rack mount do you just mount a rack to the wall above the box?

Is normal operating procedure pulling cat6e by taping it to the existing cat5 and pulling from the box to the receptacles in the room?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

H110Hawk posted:

Normal operating procedure is to use the cat5. What is your goal here by ripping out perfectly good wire?

I would leave as much as you can in the garage and just put a switch inside the house to give you more gig-e ports.

I'll check what is printed on the wire when I stop by the place later today. I plan on running gbit for most and some 10gbe, which I figured meant I would be repulling some of the wire, but maybe that was wrong.

I think my biggest apprehension about this is that the Ubiquiti stuff runs fairly hot and I live in Arizona. I am mostly worried about leaving the POE switch, router, and modem in the garage and it overheating.

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Jan 30, 2020

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

IOwnCalculus posted:

All of my gear lives in my garage and it's been fine.

Sold. Thank you, IOC :)

Heners_UK posted:

Some cheap USB fans can help with airflow if you can power them.

Good calll, I'll see what I'm working with.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Check the specs on the Ubiquiti website. They've got the min-max operating temperatures listed for all of their equipment.

For their standard stuff, an unconditioned garage that hits triple digits might not be ideal. They do have "industrial" rated switches that handle up to 140F though.

Looks like 113f is the lowest for what I have. I think that'll get me through all but a couple months of summer, though maybe this garage will be a little cooler than what I am used to.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Went and looked, it is cat5e, fortunately. Gonna order a patch panel and some keystones and I can go from there :)

As far as why 10gbe, it is one of those Why Not?, I already run it where I am living now, may as well carry it over :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
What do you guys do with the annoying power bricks for the stuff inside of a media cabinet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
For Unifi, you'd be on a UDM or USG so that everything integrates with the Unifi controller web application.