Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
No, pass through is the only way to fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Even then consider committing a felony instead.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I have an ac-lite and u6-lite. I needed one more ap for my new place. Looking at the u7's it didn't seem like any kind of upgrade for me as a home user so I bought another u6-lite. They are solid.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

KKKLIP ART posted:

I was looking at the U6 lite and I think that was what I was leaning towards. Is there a known good POE injector that I can use since I don't currently have a POE switch?

The ubiquity one is $8. Use that.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

The ubiquity one is $8. Use that.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Cross-Section posted:

Am I correct in thinking that having MoCA encryption/filters is unnecessary in a standalone suburban house?

Is your coaxial run connected to the street? Are you certain? You can hide splitters anywhere. If so you need filters. Period. It's a bus network and any neighbor within range with a moca adapter will wind up on your network or causing problems. If you aren't using the catv line from the street at all just go unhook it. Bingo bango air gap filtering.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
That's impressive. I would tape and number left/right in case you need to put any back, but if you get in there one should disappear into a cavity that isn't your house, likely "down", and the rest will go elsewhere. That's the one. Otherwise yeah just keep unscrewing. You might wind up killing your moca connection which may run through there, this is when you need to do troubleshooting on combining them back together and why you should really find the one from the street.

Put your phone on wifi, disable mobile data. Fire up a streaming app. If it cuts out you got the wrong one. Assuming your wifi is on the other side of the moca from the router. If it's not, zoom from the desktop to the phone with a screen share that's moving (YouTube). Same test.

You can also just go to the street box, if there's only 2 connections you can just unscrew the one that goes to your house. If you can't tell ask your neighbor if they have internet or TV via. <spectrum|xfinity>, if no unscrew both. If yes ask if you can coin toss their internet down. Unscrew one, have em go to a website or fire up Netflix.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Cross-Section posted:

(read: am too chickenshit to run out to the street and mess with city property lol)

Now now, that is government grant private monopoly property unless your city owns the local cable TV company. gently caress em.

And yeah Verizon TV would have been fios. Fiber internet. Perfecto.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

H110Hawk posted:

They're the feed through connectors where the crimper cuts them off. I guess there could be some kind of poor cut on the end I need to trim. I didn't have much time to troubleshoot this morning.

Well it was this. The 3 wires I tested had poorly cut feed through. Potentially coupled with the panel being stp or something.

I swapped it for a utp panel from the same cheap brand testing a couple of still loose wires - worked great. Put it in, test the wire I had issues with before which I had already zip tied in place and nope. Finally looked at the end and saw like 1mm of cat6 wires sticking out.

Patched in about 8 more cables, only 12 more to go! Also the coaxial keystone I bought for the old patch panel doesn't fit in this one. Welp. Internet is up, u6-lite has taken over the wifi, and I setup a guest network w/ isolation on it to take over the eero network. Setup the eero to be a bogus name and very long password. :toot:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

movax posted:

Interesting; I have an Arris S33 but no filter on it. Then again, the CATV run from Comcast goes only to my modem and nowhere else -- Coax in the house I just have wired up to an antenna / my own distribution amplifier, so I don't have any MoCA filters installed.

If there is no physical connection between the two bus's then you don't need any filtering.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

yeah, I like the UniFi in-wall APs because they’re POE, have 3 gigabit ports (one with POE itself!) and hide in the wall plate. They are not $20 though, that’s for sure.

:discourse:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Today it is now about 1.5 feet off the ground. :rip:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Internet Explorer posted:

Hang your phone out of your pocket with an Ethernet cable. Ideally 1.5 feet off the ground.

I'm sorry to disappoint you I didn't have time to do a gimmick picture. I actually have a usb-c ethernet adapter there so I can test the wall jacks with my laptop. I got to do it as a site gag with a new coworker though when he was chiding me about my poster. I was really glad to happen to have it within reach.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

6/6E is barely a thing; what’s the upside of 7?

Wifi 5->6 was a decent enough update, but nothing worth trashing gear over unless you had an active problem. 6->7 is very very incremental for home users. Remember most of this stuff is geared at extremely high density requirements businesses need. The price premium of Wifi7 is simply a non-starter for me. I only upgraded from Unifi AC -> 6-Lite because one of my AC's died. Just now I looked at the difference from 6-Lite to 6-Pro or 7 equipment and there would be 0 benefits to me, and on 7 gear potentially even drawbacks as clients started using 6Ghz. And then I looked at the cost, which was all higher, and I stuck with a $99 6-Lite.

(6GHz would likely result in a lot of roaming, because I'm not necessarily going to install sufficient APs to prevent roaming.)