Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

Pram posted:

I'm planning on wiring my place with ethernet, what face plates do you guys use?

I like to use Panduit for home wiring projects. As long as you have some of the special tools they make, it's really drat easy to use their materials and get good, solid connections. In a corporate environment, I like to use AMP. Holds up well over time, somewhat easy to install and they have a handy tool for terminating SL-style jacks. I've used Leviton before but wasn't impressed. Maybe I just didn't have the right tools for their materials, but I've found their stuff to be a pain in the rear end to work with compared to other vendors.

In my experience, Panduit materials/equipment have also been considerably cheaper compared to AMP & Leviton. I just finished wiring the second floor of a duplex apartment house with Panduit and have used AMP & Leviton countless times for the past six years or so in corporate settings. I've had to use both in roughly 3 infrastructure re-cabling projects, all three structures over 30,000 square feet each.

PUBLIC TOILET fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Oct 13, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

feld posted:

You should visit the Mikrotik thread.

edit: I hate to be that guy, but after reading the first post.... really? I know you mention Mikrotiks further down, but Mikrotiks do everything you could want out of DDWRT and Tomato, and unless you need to run custom software + crons it covers the base of OpenWRT too. And Ubiquiti? Mikrotiks do it much better as well. I know there's already a nice big Mikrotik thread here but it seems silly that people keep pushing Tomato, DDWRT, etc when they're always on horrible, flaky consumer hardware. They were wonderful firmwares 5 years ago when we didn't have much for options, but these days you can't beat the functionality and power of the Mikrotiks.

/end rant.

I've been getting that vibe for a while now having kept an eye on trip reports from people loving around with N-based consumer routers throughout the forums. It seems like a lot of the home-based N routers out there are flaky and problematic which is why I'm still stuck with the WRT54GL. I've been more interested in making the jump from the WRT54GL/Tomato experience into the Mikrotik experience with wireless-N support.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

CuddleChunks posted:

If your mikrotik dies, you can buy a new one, dump your script on there and be back up and running in hardly any time at all.

I'd buy it for that feature alone. Not too long ago I had exported the configuration from one WRT54GL running Tomato and tried to import it into another WRT54GL also running Tomato. Wouldn't allow it because it wasn't the same exact router the original configuration came from. That kind of defeats an important purpose of having an export configuration feature now doesn't it?

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

fliptophead posted:

It's quite an awesome bit if hardware for the price. I'm waiting a month or so to buy a Unifi AC to go with it and finally ditch DDWRT. Not that there's anything wrong with it but the performance difference between the two is incredible.

Honestly at this point in time, the only reason not to use Ubiquiti/MikroTik at home instead is because of complexity with configuring the devices. That's my opinion at least. I just don't see the need to go with regular consumer-grade hardware like Asus or TP-Link when you can get better performing hardware in the same price point from Ubiquiti or MikroTik. There's a steeper learning curve but it works so much better.

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

mlnhd posted:

Why would anyone be ok with that?

Exactly. Comedic forums arguing aside, I second the recommendation of MikroTik and/or Ubiquiti for home use. They often perform better than the consumer-grade hardware for home that's commonly recommended here. That is if you're not too overwhelmed with the possibility of having to do in-depth configuration (MikroTik via Winbox or Ubiquiti via their CLI if it can't be done via the web GUI.) I've personally been installing MikroTik routers for people, one of which is running a home business and also catering to their kids' multiple WiFi devices within the home.

While it may not be considered a fair comparison, the previous router used by the person with the home business was a Linksys and it couldn't handle the bandwidth usage let alone provide a powerful enough WiFi signal throughout the home. No issues since replacing it with a MikroTik w/built-in WiFi.

PUBLIC TOILET fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PUBLIC TOILET
Jun 13, 2009

CrazyLittle posted:

I think most people prefer routers with stable firmware updates and features that work. Doing the microtik firmware dance is a little beyond your average home user. Similarly I don't recommend edgerouters for most home users unless they feel like learning some rudimentary networking or want to follow CLI tutorials off the web.

To be fair, you can choose an update channel for firmware upgrades within the MikroTik. It can be bug-fix only, current, etc. It's also a one-click upgrade through Winbox's QuickSet menu. More importantly, you don't need to constantly update firmware revisions. As long as it's stable and all features you need are functional, then you're done. Just configure to your liking and it churns away doing its one and only job (routing.)