Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
My wireless router is currently behind a double brick wall and another single brick wall since it's at the front of the house while I'm at the back. Because of the way everyone is set up, I'd rather not move it.

My desktop is fine since I just run a CAT5 cable from the router to my main machine but my laptop has trouble picking up the wireless signal. Is it possible to get a USB wireless dongle and use that to get a wireless signal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Actually what I was thinking was if I could stick the dongle into the desktop and use it to broadcast the signal.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
It's probably my router dying but I'm getting reports of sporadic slowdowns and dropouts from my dad (he's connected via a cable) and I'm having trouble accessing my router's config page but all it does is eventually timeout. Pinging the router directly gives me me about 2 to 3 timeouts for every 100 pings and the about a quarter of the pings will spike over 10ms. I've tried turning the thing on and off and also waiting more than 15mins before turning the router back on but it makes no difference.

On the other hand, the net still appears to work fine for me.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Hmm... I thought I wrote that. It's a Billion 7401VGP. It's only 3 years old if I remember correctly, certainly shouldn't be that much older.

It doesn't feel like it's overheating though. It might be a good excuse to get a new router though. Does the Asus N16 support the logging of how much each machine on the network downloads each month?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Between the Asus N16 and Netgear 3700, if both are around the same price, which one should I get?

The N16 appears to be more custom firmware compatible but the Netgear has more fancy features like DLNA and dual band wireless. The only thing I really need is wireless range and penetration.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Jimlad posted:

My modem is a crappy Netgear modem/router that I want to use only as an ADSL modem. It connects to my nice new Asus router's WAN port, which connects all the other devices on my LAN.
Put your modem into bridge mode and use your router to do PPPoE. I just put together a similar setup last night.

The only disadvantage of this is that you won't be able to access line stats from your modem.

Instructions: forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies.cfm?t=814956

Ragingsheep fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 3, 2011

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I thought that you can't access the modem at all when it's been properly put into bridge mode.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Pogue_Mahone posted:

I tried the cable out on my girlfriends laptop and it worked fine, and I have tried all the ports on the router. From what I can find on the internet it seems to be something with the network card... Just can't work out what :(. The connection seems to be okayish now. It drops out every hour or so just to reconnect pretty much straight away. Pretty poo poo when it happens when playing anything online.

If your girlfriend's laptop works fine with a wired connection, get a cheap network card and stick it in your machine.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Is it possible to have two networks on the same router? What I'm after is having a on set of computers on a "private network" and another set of computers on a more public one?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Currently I'm running a bridged modem connected to my WNDR3700. Is it possible for me to be able to access the modem configuration page from the LAN?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Tapedump posted:

I am also curious about this. This is the best info I've come up with: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/14772

Turns out it was really easy for me. I'm not sure if it's due to the Gargoyle firmware that I'm running on my WNDR3700v2 but all I had to do was make sure that the bridged modem was sitting on a different subnet to the LAN and turn DHCP on in the modem.

If it your modem doesn't support DHCP while in bridged mode, you can manually set an address.

http://www.gargoyle-router.com/wiki/doku.php?id=adsl_modem

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Grimes posted:

Can the OP please state that the Netgear 3700/37AV isn't compatible with DD-WRT? I just bought it and found this out and I'm really disappointed. :smith:
Use Gargoyle instead of DD-WRT.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Heresiarch posted:

How good is the QOS in Gargoyle? Am I going to have to tweak the gently caress out of it, or does it have sensible defaults?

Default is only configured for ports 53, 80 and 443.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Well that sucks. What router are you running?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Are you sure the 3400 has a USB3.0 port? Regardless, the inbuilt NAS features on routers generally aren't very fast.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Currently using a Netgear WNDR3700 running Gargoyle firmware which I believe is some derivative of OpenWRT. I'm looking at getting a VPN connection because my ISP has really bad routing for certain sites such as Twitch.tv. Is it possible to have a VPN set up that uses it for certain websites and all other traffic to go through my regular connection?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

evol262 posted:

Yes, but it's potentially tricky to do this for public sites. Why do assume there are routing problems?

Because if I try and use the site normally, I get buffering every 30s. If I use a VPN, I get perfect video on the highest setting.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Would newer routers like the Asus AC68u have better Wireless N performance compared to a WNDR3700 in terms of range and wall penetration?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Mush Man posted:

Thanks for the recommendations. While I won't be able to buy from Amazon since the hardware will ship with US power supplies, my local supplier stocks those.

I don't have a standalone modem, just the modem router I mentioned, which I bought. I also forgot to mention I'm only on ADSL2+.

I use the TP-Link TD-8840 in bridge mode to connect to a WNDR3700 router, it has a Braodcom chip and it works fine as a pure modem in bridge mode. Unfortunately, its pretty hard to find these days (don't get the 8840T).

The next cheapest Broadcom router is apparently the TP-Link W8960N v4 and you can just disable the wireless and use it in bridge mode with a separate router.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
You can use your Netflix account in Australia - but the library might not be as comprehensive as Canada or US.

If your only getting a VPN to use Netflix, try using a DNS service like Getflix instead. Does the modem allow you to pick a custom DNS server?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Serrath posted:

I'm familiar with netflix in Australia, the library is virtually non existent and it doesn't have local Canadian content (as you might expect).

I don't know if my modem allows me to pick a custom DNS server, I'll need to do some investigating... I already paid for a VPN, though, on the advice of another Canadian friend here. He connects via his computer, though, so he couldn't recommend me a router that would work.

Ok, looks like you need another router anyways according to this.

Most routers will work, which one you should get will depend on what features you want and how much you're willing to pay. A TP-Link Archer C7 is pretty reasonably priced if you want an AC router or a Netgear WNDR3800 if you're looking for something under $100.

As for your cable modem, you would need to place that into bridge mode. I understand you can do that by disabling the NAT and wireless in the modem settings.

Edit: Actually, if you're still going the VPN route, then you need a modem that has a VPN client, either by installing custom firmeware like dd-wrt or get the ASUS AC68U which comes with one.

I'd really just recommend the DNS route though, it's much more simpler and less likely to affect speeds for general usage.

Ragingsheep fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Apr 8, 2015

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
You should see my edit.

Serrath posted:

Can you be a bit more specific about what this means? Do other routers not have a modem feature and does that mean that I'll need to keep my modem + router plugged in and then run that to a router which I'll need to then configure to the VPN? (I presume I'd be able to find directions on how to do this if I google it, yes?)

Since you're on cable, you NEED to use one of the modems provided by Telstra but they're all locked down.

You could buy a combined modem + router unit (although I'm not sure if any exist for cable in Australia for general retail buyers) but Telstra won't let you use it on their network so you would be paying extra for the useless modem part.

A router only unit also has the possibility of allowing you to use custom firmware like DD-WRT or Tomato (on many but not all routers).

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Vidaeus posted:

I have a Netgear Nighthawk R7000 as posted previously, with an ADSL2+ modem attached to the WAN port. Is there any way of seeing my line statistics/modem stats through the Netgear firmware? I can only seem to find stats on data transferred and IP.

Assuming you're bridging the modem and router if you set the modem to another ip range (e.g. 192.168.2.1 vs the regular 192.168.1.1 for everything else), you might be able to access it that way.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

DaNzA posted:

There isn't much you can do if you are on ATT since you are basically stuck with their terrible router. You can do what the guy above me said and extend the wifi coverage but that means putting more people in your network and will most likely strain the terrible router even more and kill it more often.

Can't you put the ATT router into bridge mode and use a better router for WiFi and network handling?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Acer Pilot posted:

Now I'm looking into flashing it to a version of Tomato with VPN support for streaming purposes. Any specific build that would work really well with this router? I basically want my WDTV Live to be able to get different regions of Netflix.
You should use a DNS service like Getflix or Unblock US. Much easier to set up as well.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

Acer Pilot posted:

Agh, I already subscribed to PIA :doh:

Well, that's still good if you plan on torrenting or are concerned about privacy - but a DNS service is just easier and has minimal impact on your overall speeds.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

ThermoPhysical posted:

I would've if TD never got back to me. I e-mailed them about their site being broken and they just now got back to me about 5 hours ago.

My return window ended today.

Chargeback and return windows are different things and there isn't necessarily a time limit on when you can ask for a chargeback. Talk to your bank though, on the phone is their website is broken.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Fair enough, I thought that you weren't getting anywhere with Tiger or Asus. If they are processing a refund for you then no need for a chargeback.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
My wifi syncs at 1.3Gbps according to Windows which is the maximum for my hardware (Asus AC68u router + Asus PCE-AC68 wifi card) but only has 2 bars for signal quality. Is Windows just being picky with what it calls good signal quality or does the reported speed not count things such as dropped packets?

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Does anyone have a resource which specifies what the max transmission power is by wifi channel and by region are?

Wiki lists what channels are available by region but not all of them specify a max Tx.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Are there any significant downsides to using an Intel 9260 in a NGFF to PCI-E wifi adaptor vs a dedicated PCI-E card like the Asus PCE-AC68 or even an USB one (I assume this would have more overhead)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
How does wireless mesh work when there's no dedicated 3rd radio?