Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have you got another power supply that meets the voltage spec?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Jonny 290 posted:

I've swapped it out with a known good 12v 20 amp (yes) power supply set to 12.0 volts and even put an oscilloscope on the +V rail to make sure I wasn't getting noise on the rail. no dice.

We retro'd all our changes and it's still locking up. I know people have had issues with these things just kind of dying, so I'm out of ideas, didn't know if there was a firmware flash I could do to allay some issues.

Spouse did mention that it seemed to be locking up faster when she used two devices on the LAN (tv and phone or tv and laptop). i checked and NAT offloading is still enabled and I think working

Just little thing but RouterOS upgrades don't do the firmware - there's a separate thing in Winbox that kicks off the firmware updates. So try that if you haven't.

Edit: I am bad at reading when tired, managed to convince myself you were talking about a Mikrotik box.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 4, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Switches off eBay are fine, not sure single-band 1st gen Unifi APs are where you want to be though.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The original EdgeRouter Lites had flash drives that liked to die, I’ve not heard of it happening with the other models.

There’s a boot loader update available for the ER-X and the SFP variant, but they aren’t documented as doing anything other than stopping all the ports being bridged together during boot.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

10Gb home Internet is surely just a “the capital cost is the same, let’s use it as a dick waving marketing effort” scenario. If it’s a smallish ISP then you can probably max the peering out with a few subscribers.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I'll swap throughput for transfer caps any day of the week

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Do they already have a UniFi controller somewhere and are comfortable with the UI? I wouldn't recommend a USG to somebody who wasn't already a UniFi user if I wanted to not have to talk to them about it again.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

One of the worst things about Ubiquiti is the community that found it from charlatans like Linus. The old WISP guys are generally pretty cool.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

For "found it" read "discovered the products".

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

IPv6 is cool and good but it's the first exposure lots of people have to having to write inbound firewall rules, so just make sure you're on the case with that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

dragon enthusiast posted:

I'm moving into a new apartment and this is my first time dealing with FIOS. I think the only available connection is a coax plug on the wall. If I don't want to buy the Verizon brand router and just want a single line to my own router, what's the cheapest setup I can get away with?

I think you need to ask Verizon to enable the Ethernet port on the ONT

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Some ISPs will turn on a public open hotspot if you use their bundled router, and in exchange for not disabling it you can use other people's hotspots free of charge. But this is generally tunneled back to your provider so the traffic never shows up as being your own.

It is pretty useful if you're in a reasonably well populated area and your connection goes down for whatever reason.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Take the front off one of the outlets, if there’s two Cat5e/Cat6 cables punched down into each keystone then feel free to start crying because someone has just daisy chained everything together.

Normally they’d go back to a cabinet that also has coax in for TV, perhaps in the basement or outside where other utilities are connected.

Do you have anything that looks like this
https://www.leviton.com/en/products/residential/networking/inside-the-structured-media-enclosure

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

You could terminate each daisy-chained outlet as two outlets and add a switch at each point you want a wired connection, and a short patch cable to loop the two points together at each point you don't need to connect a device.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A box of Cat5 is easier to pick up at an electrical wholesaler than a reel of telephone cable

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Cat6 over Cat5e is an easy decision because the cost difference is tiny. Cat6a requires you to terminate a load of shielding and gently caress that.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I’ve never lived in the US but isn’t some FiOS VDSL rather than actual fibre? So check what you’re going to get, and whether that 100Mbps tier is an “up-to” number.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think transmission rate and the CPU having to do more work generates more heat than the amplifier on the radio running at a slightly increased power level.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you do a transfer from your laptop to the media PC and turn off the Shitbox, does it break?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

And it's still slow as balls?

Is it poo poo if you're wired into the TP Link router?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Modern buildings have insulation everywhere and sometimes that involves foil, and the studding might even be a metal frame.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Have you tried just plugging the coax cable into the TV box?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The internet seems to think you can drop your Amplifi in (connected to the Fios ethernet) and then hook the Verizon routers WAN port up to a LAN port on the Amplifi. As above, turn the Wi-Fi off on it and don't use the LAN ports for your clients or you'll double-NAT everything.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can you draw it out?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Keep your actual home network stuff simple and silent and low-powered. If you want to dick around with Linux then do it on a Digitalocean VPS or something. There's a reason why decade old servers are worth nothing.

The last thing you need is to plan to do some work from home or a Skype interview for a new job or whatever and you can't because the Linux box you learn on and has power supplies that have seen 10 years of usage decides to poo poo itself.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Be aware that the old Catalyst draws 160W of power where a more modern managed gigabit switch will be in the 20s.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Decairn posted:

Is there such a thing as an RJ45 to RJ45 patch connector that can be bolted into a media centre box? I recently got a new home, the media centre is not large enough to house USG, AT&T modem and Ubiquiti 8-port switch. I need to terminate the RJ45 cables from the house in the media centre and then add a longer patch cable to the switch. Any pointers to online products would be appreciated.

Something like https://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=105&cp_id=10514&cs_id=1051401&p_id=7304&seq=1&format=2

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ship it back to wherever supplied it, no need to go through the usual RMA channels for DOA items

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

So tonight I hosed up. I set up an ER-X and was going to hook up a UAP HD nano. I found a guide that showed how to do PoE for an ER-X and a UAP Lite. So I hooked the HD's 48V PoE into the ER-X and it died.

Gonna make a wild guess I can't RMA something I fried.

I'd give it a try anyway.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I like the ones with the hinged rear, e.g. https://www.tripplite.com/smartrack-12u-low-profile-switch-depth-wall-mount-rack-enclosure-cabinet-hinged-back~SRW12US

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is one PoE injector basically the same as any other, or are there actual concerns to look out for? Looks like I should be able to get one cheaper than a power supply for this Aruba, and that gives me more flexibility on where to set it.

As long as you're getting an 802.3af/at injector and not a passive one for a proprietary implementation.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The inwall stuff could be a good shout as well if people are sensitive about having things on the ceiling or high up the wall. You get a couple of ethernet jacks on the bottom of each as well if you wanted to plug something in.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Find a way to get all the IoT stuff on it’s own segregated subnet, block all inbound traffic, and don’t let it use UPnP.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

CrazyLittle posted:

Also their supply chain leaves a lot to be desired

Oh god yes

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

This is normally recommended quite a lot

https://smile.amazon.co.uk/TP-LINK-Wireless-Connections-VR600-V2/dp/B06XW26XZ3/

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

The best way to get two Xbox (One?) on open NAT is to use an ISP that does IPv6 - https://support.xbox.com/en-GB/xbox-one/networking/ipv6-on-xbox-one

Failing that you can use one that gives you multiple public IPv4 addresses but that's super unlikely for a residential connection.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

WattsvilleBlues posted:

gently caress me is this it? I've zero chance of getting this. So my choice is?

Why do you have zero chance? What's your current ISP?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I can't really help you with Xbox-specific stuff. I know Plusnet don't do IPv6, or multiple IPv4 addresses on a residential account.

Sky and BT both do IPv6 as standard.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you have a basement then drop everything down into there, run it around the beams on j-hooks or whatever and put all the kit into a wall-mount cabinet.

You'd need to have a really good reason to want to go into an attic to do any of this, it's much nicer to be able to stand up in an area that isn't boiling hot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Pull the baseboards off and have a look around - it's often an easy way into the wall and easy to patch back up again.