Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Kinda looks like their version of the Airport Express with the audio jack yanked out.

They don't list CPU specs but it's most likely some ARM branch dual core running at around 1.4 GHz

Definitely more a SOHO kinda deal, other than that you can manage it with the UI Network app which still requires Java ITYOOL 2023..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

gloom posted:

I'm moving soon and I need to set up a wireless network for the first time in 7-8 years. It's for an 1100 square foot apartment, two laptops, two phones, and an AppleTV. I want something simple and reliable, that won't need to be rebooted every other month or whenever a neighbor sets up a new network. The complex is kind of low and spread out so I'm hopeful there won't be too much interference. Up front cost isn't an issue, but I don't want to pay any ongoing fees for dubious "features" or cloud-based services. My partner might prefer something with internal antennas, and honestly, so would I.

I miss the days when an AirPort Express met all our needs :( so, I guess a spiritual successor to that, if one exists.

Any suggestions? What else do I need to consider for this?

IMHO if you want the spiritual descendant to the AirPort Extreme Base Station, maybe the Amplifi might be what you need.

https://amplifi.com/

The company that makes the Amplifi was started by one of Apple's own wireless engineers; he discovered that Apple was using underpowered components in its WiFi circuitry and when he went to his bosses with this info, and said he could improve on their product, so they basically ignored him.

He then started working on ways to address the problem and developed networking equipment right in his own apartment. In 2005 he left Apple to start Ubiquiti with his life savings, about $30,000. Today Ubiquiti makes 1.7 billion annually and is a respected networking provider.

Ubiquiti's products seem to follow the same design principles that Apple products do with excellent packaging and simple product construction, but packing lots of features / power within.

$379 might be a bit much for 802.11ac, but the Amplifi is literally an upgraded AEBS with a quad core CPU running at double the speed of the original, an LCD screen, and an antenna that looks nearly the same as the 1st generation AEBS (if you ever opened it up.)

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

So recently my ER-4 decided it wanted to forget about ever being associated with UISP, I couldn't get it to restore.

Maybe it's a particularly nasty cosmic ray strike and it blew out the specific NAND cell that stored the info, either way I guess the unit needed replacement because it wouldn't accept the blue LED no matter what I tried.

Managed to find a vendor that had the Cloud Gateway Ultra in stock and install was super easy.

All I did was was launch the iOS app and it did all the hard stuff first; it updated the firmware on the CGU first, then the firmware for the lite 60 switch, then the U6-LR, incredibly it upgraded all the firmwares to the stable versions and in the right order and I didn't have to enter anything except new names and pws..

The end result was that I noticed the CGU made everything, well, snappier..

And I lucked out on the display screen, didn't seem crooked..

Long story short, the Cloud Gateway Ultra is a good choice to stay in the Ubiquity ecosystem. Can't wait to take advantage of tailscale / quad core improvements

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Mar 27, 2024

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

god this blows posted:

Edit: There are still 427 in stock for anyone that needs one.

Nope, says CGUs are sold out as of 1:30 PM on UI's site.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Didn't realize that there's enough demand for 427 Ubiquiti routers to sell through in a day.. woof

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

UI put out a great replacement for their lower end edge max routers as far as I'm concerned (although they might've been trying a little too hard by not putting out any product for a wee bit too long)

At least it's a good sign they went with a good modern ARM quad core, dunno how much more speed they were gonna get from a MIPS CPU