Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

DaNzA posted:

Have you tried shibby's tomtato with it?
The latest version of 114 just came out not too long ago with the latest driver from Asus etc. and it's been running rock solid on a lot of them.

Is there a good place for information about Tomato? The official Tomato site looks like it hasn't been updated since 2010 and the official Tomato USB site is in Polish. Also can you explain the 32k vs 64k thing? I looked that up and all I could find are forum posts that don't really explain what the deal is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Citycop posted:

I cannot for the life of me get opendns working correctly. I have multiple computers connected to a DDWRT router. I've set everything up according to the directions including using DNS-o-matic. The opendns network page shows my correct ip but there are not ever any stats and nothing is filtered. I'm out of ideas :\ .

edit:
I have even manually set the DNS server on a Windows 7 client behind the router and it's still not working.

This may help? :

C:\Users\Me>nslookup -type=txt debug.opendns.com.
Server: resolver1.opendns.com
Address: 208.67.222.222

*** resolver1.opendns.com can't find debug.opendns.com.: Non-existent domain

What's your ISP? It's possible they're hijacking outbound DNS queries.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Wait, why can't you ssh into pfsense?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

MC Cakes posted:

Lets say you have Client, Proxy, and Host. If the connection from Client to proxy is plain http, but Proxy forwards to Host via https, then the password information will still be encrypted before it crosses the client network, right?

The client and Host still do an ssl handshake, and the plain http is transparent to the user, right?

I don't really understand the question here but I think the answer is probably no.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I bought a netgear GS108T after returning a trendnet because the netgear was a little bit faster.

What's your budget? There's a whole wonderful rainbow of switches that would work for you, but it all depends on what you're willing to pay.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Munkeymon posted:

I don't know where people are getting their information, but the stock firmware is five day old hot garbage as far as I can tell. I've had to start over 4 times so far (twice with the newest version) and it only remembers the password I give it half the loving time. Two out of four tries it forgets or just doesn't save the goddamn password I gave it! Why did I have to try again the other two times? I flipped a switch that made it stop responding completely (don't try to turn off IP6 or change the start of the range of IPs it's supposed to use!) and had to reset it, which is super loving annoying because of the hold-the-retard's-hand setup wizard that you have to get past to get to the important options.

I'd have filed an RMA already if this thing didn't have a 3rd party firmware option. Guess we'll see how that goes :sigh:

I posted a few times about the super buggy firmware. I hate it too. It won't actually save more than 16 characters of a password you enter, so if you try something with 17 characters seem like it's cool but you can't actually log in if you enter all 17 characters. Don't try changing the default username or http->https either.

Let me know if Tomato works any better and has a sane install process that isn't "do some poo poo this one guy from russia posted on a forum". If I had to do it again I would have just gotten an AEBS.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I have 2 GS108T's and I didn't know there was a proprietary app, I've always used the web interface. Configuration is a little buggy and slow but vlans and syslogging work fine, and the speeds are pretty good. The web ui has port statistics but I've not tried SNMP. LACP and 802.1x are supported but I haven't tried them either.

Ninja Rope fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 17, 2014

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I think the N66U is really buggy. I get a lot of failed connections from my Mac on 5ghz and I'm the only one around using those bands, but I can't tell if that's the router or my laptop or solar flares or something. When I get a solid connection the speed is fantastic. If I had to do it again I'd get an Apple AirPort Extreme.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Tapedump posted:

Counterpoint: I use and have deployed 9 N66Us so far, a few with daily client counts of between 5-25 devices (mostly Windows laptops, iOS devices and some Android devices).

Rock solid, great range, no reboots needed in, say, 8-10 months.

Is this anecdotal evidence? Yes. Is this a larger sample set than other reported use cases? Yes.

Were you able to change the admin UI port, username, use a password > 16 characters, or enable SSL? I'm not using many features but the first few things I tried to change sure made things go weird. I have no idea if the connection issues are the fault of the N66U or of something else, but my Mac reports a great signal and I still lose connection frequently. That's my one person/N66U anecdote.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

MMD3 posted:

Should I be alarmed at all? is it worth asking him to re-pull all of it? The yellow and white cables here are power.

So rather than run the cable through big staples in the bottom of each beam, the contractor drills a lovely hole through each beam and runs the cables through that? Is there a reason he did it that way?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

Xaris posted:

I just bought an N66U after using a dying old wireless G router for years. I'm running Merlin 374.40 firmware and have been problems on the 5 GHz band. Every now and then, it seems to stop working and signal drops to 1 bar or disconnects and I need to reboot the router or wait a couple minutes for it to come back up. Has anyone encountered this before? I might just return it to Amazon and get the AC66u instead for some future proofing.

I get that on my N66U with stock firmware. A few days ago I set the 2ghz and 5ghz networks to different SSIDs and haven't had any problems yet, but I am not calling it fixed so soon.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
If there's hardware support for ipsec that might mean hardware support for AES (or 3DES). Are you using those ciphers for openvpn?

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Try OpenDNS then, 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220. Google DNS is not perfect.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.

PIGEOTO posted:

Given the OP is two years out of date, is the RT-N66U still the go to router at that price level? They sell them at a decent price in the retail stores near me, so it would be convenient if it's still great.

I don't love my N66U and wish I had gone with an Airport Extreme. It's really buggy, but it does seem mostly stable.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
I'd like to get wireless access to a cabin about 80-100 feet from the house. There's almost line of sight between the two but there's some leaves and a wooden fence between them. It also rains a bit. Could I use something like two Ubiquity NanoBridge M9's for the point-to-point connection and then APs in each location for devices to connect to? Or is anything other than totally clear line of sight going to be hopeless? I'd be happy if it's fast enough to stream Netflix.

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Interesting. I was looking at the NanoBridge M9's because I figured 900mhz would give a stronger signal through obstructions, but the loco is much smaller and cheaper. I'll try and figure out how close to exact line of sight I need, maybe the loco is the better option. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Try manually setting your DNS servers to 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.4.

Edit: I mean, did you try that? What did you manually set it to when you tried?

Ninja Rope fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Oct 8, 2014