Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Goodpancakes posted:

We have a nice lab setup in the basement of a University building with several computers and a printer all plugged into the University network. The problem is that anyone in the building can access the printer without being in the lab. The result is that we run through a TON of toner due to people jacking the printer and printing stuff from somewhere else in the building. Is there a solution to this particular problem?

Get a router and put all your equipment on your own LAN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Any chance of getting an updated recommendation list in the OP, or are those still relevant despite their ages?

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

metachronos posted:

This seems too good to be true:

http://www.securifi.com/almondplus

How can they sell it for $99, unless they have razor-thin margins and are trying to sell enough of them to scrape by.

I would love to hear a firsthand review of this because I am assuming it's trash.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Bad Munki posted:

I'm running an old linksys wrt54g, stock firmware. We're generally an apple household, and don't usually have problems. The network is secured with WPA2 aes. The problem: a laptop (sony vaio) running win7 can't connect to the network. It shows the network, you can select it and say connect, it says connecting for a minute, then it just closes that dialog and never asks for the password. The laptop is only about 4 years old, any ideas? It doesn't even provide an error, it's just like it gives up. :confused:

e: The wireless adapter on the laptop in question is an atheros ar9285. I tried right-clicking on the network to bring up properties and entering the password there, but it still won't connect.

ee: If I disable security altogether, it connects, although it strangely calls the network "Alfheim 2" after connecting instead of "Alfheim," which is what it is actually called. There is no "Alfheim" listed, so I don't know where the "2" is coming from.

Press the windows key and type "manage wireless", press enter, delete any "Alfheim" entries, then connect again to the WPA2-protected AP and it will ask you for a password and connect properly.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Factory Factory posted:

Well, you could go for a plug computer, or a cheapie like a Raspberry Pi built into a plug-puter case.

Adafruit will sell you a Model A Raspberry Pi for $30, with a mini WiFi module at $12, a simple case for $10. Add a phone charger, a microSD card, and Raspbian et voila, mini linux computer. Downside, doesn't quite sit on the plug, but you can mount it next to the plug with double sided tape.

If you want something prebuilt, a Guruplug might be what you want.

Or if you want to go really cheap, the MK802 II Android 4.0 plug computer might work.

the old pogoplugs are like $10-15 on sale these days.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

Water will degrade 2.4ghz wifi by about 50%.

This statement makes no sense at all, but the sentiment is true.

Your signal won't be great going through people and structures a few feet off the ground like that, despite the line of sight. I think it will work, but just not very well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

CrazyLittle posted:

2.4ghz radio frequency waves get absorbed when passing through water (fish tanks, etc.) If you setup your point-to-point link to transmit traffic through people, each time it passes through a body it will degrade by about half its transmission power.

I used to teach electromagnetic theory. I'd like to see your math on this.