Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Installed the new AP and moved the existing one to its new spot. I’m glad that I’m at the point in my marriage where my wife can walk into the mbr closet, see me terminating an RJ-45 poking through the ceiling, and not ask any questions.

Had to get creative with the pantry wiring due to what was in the walls but who cares, it’s not gonna be visible. Pro tip the ubiquiti mounting points assume a flush surface, use a slightly smaller drill bit for your drywall anchors and don’t set them in all the way, they act like standoffs from the ceiling texture.

I need to go find that Ars Technica article from a while ago about tweaking a multi-unfi AP environment, I should have bookmarked it.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 7, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
That’s the one. Thanks!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Borrowed some hardware from work...too far?

Still need to get it configured so it’s the long Ethernet cables for now. Once it’s in service I’ll get it tidied up. This will let me ditch a couple of POE injectors and add more POE powered equipment.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
2nd floor IDF for when I do exterior cameras. For now the second floor AP just gets patched down to the main switch - exactly why I ran 4 Ethernet in addition to the fiber.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Cleaned up the AP runs on the patch panels, I was out of keystone jacks until today. You may also note port 12, which is an rj-25 hijacking existing house cat-3 wiring to the kitchen. I already have a SIP DID provider set up with e911 registered to our address, I’m just waiting on the ATA adapter to arrive this afternoon.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

MarcusSA posted:

What’s that black thing on the wall used for?

Leaving my children home alone before they have cell phones.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Tremors posted:

Guessing I'll either need to hire an electrician or figure out how to fish wires myself if I want it halfway decent....

Definitely learn how to run your own wiring, though of course ymmv depending on your house construction/age. The tools you need aren’t terribly expensive, the most important one imo is a set of fiberglass fish rods.

The good news since you have a clean slate is that you get to do everything from scratch the right way. Think about what you really want in each room of your house, be it coax, Ethernet, or whatever and pull it all back to a central location.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Thanks Ants posted:

It does become a lot more important to match the cable size up to the connectors, but it's not impossible and buying both from the same place is mostly all that is required.

....this explains so much for me for the one time I borrowed a coworkers coax compression tool. It worked but looked like poo poo. For this house I just bought preterminated cables at approximately the right length. Who cares if there’s an excess service loop in the attic?

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 17, 2020

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
You don’t necessarily have to buy a POE switch if all you have are two APs. If you buy the UAP-AC-Pro individually, they come with POE injectors.

I just run the controller software on a small VM on the VMware host that also runs my pfSense install.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Re-crimping never hurts. I’ve run plenty of cable personally and professionally and I’ve never managed to break a cable while pulling.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
That’s okay, neither do a lot of people in IT who should!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
If you’re gonna pull one, pull two and seconding the pull string. Always pull n+1 of how many drops you need. It’s dumb to have branch switches if you can help it.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Or just spend the $30 for a USB3 gig-e adapter to be your WAN interface and bypass all that mess, works like a treat with my SFF desktop I’m using as an esxi host.

https://flings.vmware.com/usb-network-native-driver-for-esxi

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Sneeing Emu posted:

I have what I think is a really simple job of wiring two bedrooms with network jacks, but I'd like some insight/advice/ tips from people who have done it before.

Here's the plan - get up in the attic, run two 75 foot cables (~45ft horizontal run plus ~9 vertical ft on each end) from the modem/network switch to each bedroom. The locations of the drops shown are where the coax drops are now, we don't have a need for those any more, so my plan is to follow those drops down and replace the coax plates with ethernet plates. Is there anything I'm not thinking about, or is it as easy as it is in my head (I know it won't be)? I know I'll have insulation to deal with, and the drops are on exterior walls, but I figure if someone already ran drops with coax, ethernet should be just as easy. Right?.....

Normally i’m all for running Ethernet properly but this is a good use case for a MOCA setup to save yourself a bunch of hassle. I assume where your router is is where you have another coax drop in the place.

Do you know if you have fire blocks in your exterior walls? Do you have fiberglass push rods/fish sticks or can borrow some? Do you have a drill with a long enough bit to get through the wall top plates?

Old coax isn’t necessarily useless either so don’t go ripping it out just yet...plus you may not be able to if it is staples down in some capacity. I was able to re-use some of the existing coax in my house when I installed a huge antenna in the attic for OTA.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Just switched from pfsense VM to an ER-X. I wanted to go back to a hardware appliance so I could move my esxi host elsewhere. Pretty happy with it so far, it has more than enough knobs to tweak but it’s pretty drat easy to do so.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
It will cost more but get a keystone patch panel and jacks instead of a punch down type. Get a panel with excess slots, they can come in handy in the future. There are more than just Ethernet keystones, and you’ll want to use those on the wall plate side too.

You can also get 2-3u mini racks that mount on the wall or wherever for this kind of setup, you don’t need a full rack unless there are Plans.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
For the small stuff just get a rack mount shelf or two to slap them on, to include your NAS. Not everything *has* to be rack mounted.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Scored a switch upgrade from work; I was starting to run out of ports as well as POE injectors for the cameras I’m installing. I just need to sort out the trunk interface to my esxi host so I can put the cameras on their own non-routed vlan, as well as setting up a DMZ vlan for guest wifi.

I joke in interviews that I can tell network engineers exactly what I need to happen vis a vis the network, switch ports, or whatever but actually getting on the Cisco CLI is something they don’t want me doing. carving it up into a bunch of vlans was far easier than I thought it would be.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 14, 2021

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Well yeah, you definitely don’t want any cross-talk in that situation!

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

KS posted:

Not sure if you know this but if not it might save some time: esxi doesn't play well with untagged frames. It wants all traffic tagged. The trunk facing the esxi server needs a dummy vlan set as the native vlan, e.g. switchport trunk native vlan 999.

This actually did, thanks! I’ve been working with VMware for a while but never on the switch side of things as I’ve always had network engineers on the team to deal with that. Turns out I had already set up the trunk correctly in the first place; I only needed to add the trunk native vlan tag to the mgmt and vm network port groups.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I could have brought home a fully loaded DL585 G6 virtualization host from work a year or so ago and didn’t give a second thought to declining it. No point in having a beast of a server like that without more storage than was onboard, not to mention the power usage and outright noise.

Sent the entire rack full of them to the recycler after pulling some spare parts for the two remaining ones we have in our test lab. We’ll be out of that data center by the end of the year, and two years ago we went from 7 racks to 4 so yeah being a traditional colo provider not a good business to be in long term.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Yes, there is an option for prefer 5G / band steering under the AP radio configuration. I believe it is enabled by default. Go into the config, look at your clients, and it will tell you what band they are on.

Once you have the first AP set up there is a handy “copy the config from another device” option to save you the effort of the second one.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Added a couple more drops to the upstairs IDF this weekend. I am rapidly approaching the point of needing to buy a switch with dual gbics for upstairs, if I want to patch anything else in I will need one. The last port of the 4x1gbe downlink runs goes to one more POE camera for now.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
That kind of a quote is a good incentive to buy some fiberglass fish rods, a nice spade bit set, a drywall saw, drill, and other necessary and sundry tools plus cabling and supplies and still come out well over $5000+ ahead.

I realize that not everyone wants to or is capable of running wiring in your own place, but this is one area that a little bit of work and some YouTube videos will go a long, long way towards saving you some serious money.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Can you repurpose it and tie it into a massive OTA antenna in the attic?

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I do exactly that with my ER-X. One port is hooked up to a totally segmented vlan on my switch.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Didn’t want to wait for the ubiquiti 8 port to come back in stock, plus it doesn’t come with rack mount ears. Shorter fiber patch cables arrive on Tuesday to tidy it up. Once I get a vlan trunking issue sorted between this switch and the MDF, I’ll move the cameras over to it as well.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

Biowarfare posted:

IoT device

KozmoNaut posted:

You throw that garbage in the electronics recycling bin.

Checks out.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Apr 14, 2021

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
So, I just had an epiphany as to why all of a sudden I always have 3-4 bugs flying around this side of the garage.

The Home Networking Megathread: my access point makes bugs horny

Once I turned the LED off he flew away within minutes.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Apr 19, 2021

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
How will you be handling power for the access points? How about power for the er10x itself?

Do you have a closet you could run the wires to instead? You don’t want to have to go up in the attic anytime you need to mess with wires, touch the router, etc.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

PageMaster posted:

Is installing an Ethernet wall plate a DIY or would I need special tools and skillset? I have an electrician installing lights and convinced them to just drop a cat 6 cable between floors so I'm hoping I can just knock it out.

Totally DIYable, the ideal brand cat5/6 plates at Lowe’s come with a tiny plastic punch down for the block. Color code is right on the punch down, just keep it twisted as much as possible up to the jack and don’t take too much of the jacket off. Should be plenty of videos on YouTube.

For the record, you’ll want to wire with the t568b color code.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

RoboBoogie posted:

Do i need to install an AP on every floor? or every two floors?

Entirely depends on your floor plan and interior construction. It took me a little bit of experimentation before I finally gave in and bought two more APs to bring it to four, one on each floor and one in the garage. My floor plan sans garage is an L with equal length sides so I dropped the APs as close as possible to the center.

Since you’re going to have someone running cable, go with more than you think you need.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

DerekSmartymans posted:

Lemme watch the video later and I’ll let you know if this helps downstairs!

Gotta be honest that’s not the kind of video that usually helps downstairs.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I just added another outlet to one of the two existing basement circuits for mine. You don’t need 20A unless you are getting stupid with equipment.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Just got an email from Comcast, getting bumped to 900mbps at no extra charge. Sure why not.

devmd01 fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 23, 2021

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Try different cables.

Just walked my mom through replacing her dead router with a Linksys Velop system. The hardest part was taking her through all the cable swaps, god bless the phone app setups that home networking gear is doing these days.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Finally painting this part of the garage so it was time to install a cable raceway. I’m the kind of sick son of a bitch that puts Velcro inside.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I’m very thankful that all of our electrical/coax is buried so unless a strike on the pedestals in my front yard occurs, we’re safe. In the 11 years of living in this neighborhood we’ve had only a handful of adverse power events, usually because of a substation transformer blowing or whatever.

I did consider Ethernet protectors for my outside cameras but running ground wires wouldn’t really have been worth it. OTA antenna is in the attic so no risk there either.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Scored a switch upgrade from work. Went a lot faster to configure this time even though I couldn’t find my notes from the previous 3750. Still need to get the fiber hooked up for the 2nd floor switch but it’s all working for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Depends on what they did with wiring up the phone jacks. Do they all come back to a central demarc or are they just daisy-chained in between each jack? If the latter you’re SOL for using them.