Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So I'm in the market for a new vacuum. Want an upright, and looking to spend somewhere between $100 to $200. Don't care about noise level or bag vs. bagless just whatever has the best suction. I've heard that bagless is hyped and that bags have better suction but I have no idea if it's true or not. Bagless seem more annoying to empty (dust flies everywhere when you dump the container), but having to buy new bags can be annoying too, so that seems like a wash.

Currently I'm looking at:

1. Hoover WindTunnel T-series Rewind
2. Shark Navigator
3. Eureka AirSpeed
4. Hoover Platinum Lightweight Upright with Canister
5. Eureka The Boss
6. Hoover WindTunnel Anniversary
7. Dyson Animal

These seem to be the best reviewed in my price range from what I can tell with a bit of googling. Still, I'd like to hear what you goons recommend. Doesn't have to be something I'm looking at here, just whatever you feel is the strongest vacuum.

EDIT: Added Consumer Reports and more vacuums

Bagged

Bagless

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Oct 12, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Donneskjold
Feb 10, 2005

14% of males have experienced "pee shyness," often at large sporting events.
Pay no attention to my post. sorry

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.
My two cents, the only bagless vacuum that I have owned and was happy with was a Dyson. You can get one for $300 ish putting it out side your given budget.

I haven't owned any of the ones you listed so I can't really comment on those. I did have several bagless vacuums before I got the Dyson and they all sucked by comparison. Bagless vacuums are really nice because of the ease of waste management.

The Dyson's really do suck but unfortunately they are other wise made of cheap plastic and don't feel any more durable than any of the other options out there. But as I said they really do suck. We got the Dyson after we got our dog and the old vacuum died a couple of weeks after we started using it a couple times a week. It has been going strong for 2 years now of multi week house cleanings.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Regarding Dyson, is there actually an advantage in the three stage one instead of the older two stage cyclone thingy?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Noxious posted:

My two cents, the only bagless vacuum that I have owned and was happy with was a Dyson. You can get one for $300 ish putting it out side your given budget.

I haven't owned any of the ones you listed so I can't really comment on those. I did have several bagless vacuums before I got the Dyson and they all sucked by comparison. Bagless vacuums are really nice because of the ease of waste management.

The Dyson's really do suck but unfortunately they are other wise made of cheap plastic and don't feel any more durable than any of the other options out there. But as I said they really do suck. We got the Dyson after we got our dog and the old vacuum died a couple of weeks after we started using it a couple times a week. It has been going strong for 2 years now of multi week house cleanings.

I might be willing to go up to $300ish if it's really worth it. What Dyson model are you thinking of?

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
If you can wait ~6 weeks there is bound to be a Black Friday sale on some Dysons. We got the DC25 animal for a good price (I want to say ~$100 under MSRP), although I've seen it on sale for that since then.

I must say I absolutely have loved its performance over the 2 ~$120ish Walmart vacuums I used post-graduation.

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001

-Blackadder- posted:

So I'm in the market for a new vacuum. Want an upright, and looking to spend somewhere between $100 to $200.

I got a Dyson for $180 off of craigslist. They, amazingly, hold their resale value pretty well because the parts are readily available and they're pretty solid anyway.

If you can't find a DC 14 or DC 17 on craigslist, then the Shark would prob be ok. It's based upon the same idea, just uses double the number of tubes to generate the same effect (to not infringe on Dyson's patents).

Bagless is pretty sweet. I've used both types. Dysons are a bit more robust but the Sharks are fine.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Get the best dyson you can afford.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Pissflaps posted:

A vacuum cleaner with the proper amount of suction.

Keep an eye on Coupons, I see deals in there every once in a while. Last one was under $200.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I don't want to bring down the wrath of happy Dyson users, but I'm skeptical that it's the one and only answer for the vacuuming world. It seems like any time I read a professional review where Dysons are tested directly against other vacuums they don't get that much higher marks than less expensive vacuums. That, and many of the glowing user reviews I've read come from people who had horrible experiences with their previous vacuums and are thus easier to impress. I'd really like to get my hands on one to compare it to the vacuum I have right now and see how it stacks up, or at least hear from someone who had a vacuum they liked before they got a Dyson. That said, if you could get it for under $200 it seems like a pretty solid choice.

Anyway, my recommendation: I've had two different versions of this Eureka, both the pet and regular version, and they've both been fantastic and have lasted years: http://www.amazon.com/Eureka-Smart-Vac-Upright-Cleaner-4870MZ/dp/B0015ASJIY/ref=sr_1_1?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1318370233&sr=1-1

Both have been heavily abused--one of them is at my office where it's been manhandled by my gorilla coworkers for a year without much ill effect, the other is six years old and still going strong.

powderific fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Oct 11, 2011

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
I added some Consumer Reports information and a few more vacuums to the OP.

I've seen Dyson, specifically the Animal recommended in a lot other places as well.

The Eureka Boss also looks good. And I've heard a lot about that through word of mouth.

Right now I'm also very interested in the Hoover WindTunnel Anniversary since that's at the top of Consumer Reports' recommendation list.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 12, 2011

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I went down to the small appliance and everything else in the world store to check out some of these in person. Didn't have time to actually turn them on and test suction, which, ah, certainly limits the usefulness of my impressions, but here they are anyway:

3. Eureka AirSpeed
I really liked this one, probably in part due to it feeling like an evolution of the vacuum I recommended two posts above. One of my favorite features for everyday use is that cleaning wand thingy is really easy to deploy and you don't need to unhook, then attach like you do with some other vacuums. Since my girlfriend stole my other vacuum I'm considering picking one up (thought I'd want to actually turn it on first.)

4. Hoover Platinum Lightweight Upright with Canister
This seemed neat, but having a separate canister for tools and bare floors would really annoy me. The canister looks really ugly too.

5. Eureka The Boss
I own two and think they're fabulous. Something that isn't great: the lever you press to make it not sit upright is really stiff, as are the power brush switch and carpet height adjustment. At least on the two models I have.

6. Hoover WindTunnel Anniversary
I don't know if I it was this exact model, but the self propelled hoover I looked at weighed about one million pounds. Comparing the shipping weights, it seems that I might be either crazy or looking at something else.

7. Dyson Animal
I really liked the cleaning wand thingy on this. Overall it seemed like a cool vacuum, but loving $500? I don't know. It didn't feel significantly nicer than the $100 Eureka Air Speed (although that drat wand was really cool and I'm sure there were other neato features I would have found on closer inspection). Maybe all that extra money is on the inside components. If you can find one for a crazy deal it might be worth it.

Finally, I may be the only one, but I way prefer bagging uprights. I have pretty bad allergies and, to me, it's much more convenient to have a bag I can throw in the trash without kicking up a bunch of dust. How hard is it to buy a couple extra bags to keep on hand?

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
The AirSpeed does look pretty slick, then again it seems like they all look pretty slick these days. The AirSpeed is only 18 lbs. as opposed to the 21 lbs. Anniversary so that may have accounted for the weight difference you felt if that was indeed the corret model Anniversary. The Platinum Upright is only 13 lbs. but I agree the seperate canister vac is feeling meh. The AirSpeed does come in just behind the Dyson DC28 Animal on Consumer Reports, so that's not bad for the cost difference.

I pretty much feel the same way as you about the Dyson, they look great but the ratings I've seen for it don't seem $300-$400 better than some of the other ones I'm looking at. If I can find a huge discount I'll consider it, though.

I'm also starting to lean toward bagged as well. My whole vacuum search got started after I had an allergy attack that had me sneezing all day. I also went over to a friends house who has one of those little red Hoover Flair Bagless Stickvac's that you see all over the place these days. I messed around with it a bit for a while. I'd never used a bagless before. It was nice for quick clean up and barefloor stuff but when I went to empty the container dust still managed to fly out of the garbage can even though I held the container far down in the bag. Thinking about it now having to go through that process seems quite a bit more annoying than ordering bags off of Amazon every once in a while. So that might be something that makes you reconsider the bagless AirSpeed.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Oct 12, 2011

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Found two mini reviews that mention the AirSpeed in comparison to Dyson. I didn't realize that Eureka had been trying to target Dyson directly with it. Anyway, consumer reports said the AirSpeed "cleaned more deeply" than the DC25 in their testing lab, while Popular Mechanics did a test with flour where the Dysons worked better.

http://news.consumerreports.org/appliances/2011/05/new-vacuum-ratings-eureka-vs-dyson-best-at-pet-hair.html

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/reviews/bagless-upright-vacuum-cleaner-comparison-test

Buuut I'm leaning towards finding another bagging upright instead. I kindof want to try something new after two Bosses though.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
As far as bagged goes Amazon's popularity rankings seems to match up pretty well with Consumer Reports' rankings. Which is why I'm currently leaning towards the Anniversary. But if that ends up being too heavy the Hoover Windtunnel Max is ranked at 71 vs the Anniversary's 73 on CR and the Max is only 17 lbs. so you could check that one out too.

Then again you know what they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it. If the Boss is working well for you stick with it. Otherwise it's easy enough to give a different brand/model a try for a few weeks and then return it. Is the Boss Eureka's most popular bagged upright? I haven't really looked at them much.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I looked at a cheaper version of the windtunnel max and one thing I really liked about it was that the brushroll switch was a foot button. Even though the weight doesn't look that different on paper, it sure felt a lot lighter to me. It might not be that big of deal to you though--do you have any store local where you can check them out?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pissflaps posted:

Going with suggestion. Dyson's are expensive, but worth every penny. Solid build quality, lasts long, bagless, backed by a good warranty. I refuse to use a non-Dyson vacuum after making the switch.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

My dad sold vacuum cleaners in people's homes when I was a kid, specifically filter queens. Thirty years before dysons, they had the cyclone thing going on and are built like tanks. They are the r2d2 plus hose design, which blows for stairs, but other than that, I still use one and highly recommend it. You can get a used one on the cheap from Craigslist or a vacuum shop. It will last twenty years easy.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

...just don't buy new from the in home demonstrator. Super scammy.

Good product though. Sucks harder than anything and uses a cone filter + cyclone so you can dump the dust and the cones are cheaper than bags.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
The Dyson DC14 is on woot for $180 refurbed.
http://www.woot.com/sale/21660

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

Ron Jeremy posted:

My dad sold vacuum cleaners in people's homes when I was a kid, specifically filter queens. Thirty years before dysons, they had the cyclone thing going on and are built like tanks. They are the r2d2 plus hose design, which blows for stairs, but other than that, I still use one and highly recommend it. You can get a used one on the cheap from Craigslist or a vacuum shop. It will last twenty years easy.

Holy poo poo, my dad did this too for a while. Still have a filter queen at my house too.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Another vote for Dyson. I got a DC25 a few months ago and it's great. They heavily advertise the ball but for me the telescoping attachment handle did it for me.

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Dr Tran posted:

The Dyson DC14 is on woot for $180 refurbed.
http://www.woot.com/sale/21660

I ordered one of these and just got it today. I had some cheap $50 Hoover or whatever before, and this thing blows it out of the water. It's disgusting what got picked up in a 10 foot square area where I just vacuumed last week and the old vacuum left behind. I don't know if it's the end all be all of vacuums, but for $180 it seems pretty great. They say in a little letter that comes with it that they break them down, clean and replace everything that needs replacing. Aside from a few tiny signs of use on the canister, it looks brand new.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

powderific posted:

I looked at a cheaper version of the windtunnel max and one thing I really liked about it was that the brushroll switch was a foot button. Even though the weight doesn't look that different on paper, it sure felt a lot lighter to me. It might not be that big of deal to you though--do you have any store local where you can check them out?
I'll see if I can swing by Best Buy or Target or something tomorrow and handle a few different ones to try to get an idea of what I like.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Another great thing about dysons is how easy they make it to reach all the internal airways and moving parts for when things get sucked up that shouldn't and jam. Although maybe other vacuums are like that too now I dunno.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I decided to give bagless a shot and ordered the airspeed. After playing with it in the store again, I discovered that it fixed my main complaint about the boss -- the stiff switches -- while keeping similar functionality. And I'm curious to see if bagless is worth it. If not, I'll just trade back my girlfriend for the old boss. When it gets here on Tuesday I'll post up my impressions.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
Really happy with the Shark Navigator Lift-Away I picked up awhile back. It was $150 on sale at Canadian Tire and the cheapest Dyson was like $350. I had an older Dyson that my girlfriend somehow got in the break up but this is pretty damned close and for a $200 difference I'm really happy with its performance. It's quite easy to clean, has some basic attachments including a crevice tool, trim/fan tool and it's light as hell despite having surprising power. My only complaint is that it's head is much smaller than my old Dyson so I have to retread some areas but at 12 pounds total it's only like an extra minute or two. The swivel head thing is pretty much a sales gimmick but I did find it somewhat useful for doing underneath chairs.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Though I've been arguing against them to some degree, Dyson DC25s are $250 on Woot today if anyone's in the market.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
I know you all have hard-ons for Dysons, but it's a bit pricey for someone like myself, a college student who shares a vacuum with roommates. If you're looking for something cheaper but still durable, I've had a lot of success with my Dirt Devil. They are really easy to dismantle and clean, and they are by far the most durable low-end vacuum that I have used. My family has gone through several Hoovers, which all had a life-span of about a year. We've had a Dirt Devil for 3 years now with no problem. We have lots of animals, so we have to take it apart all the time to clean hairs out and whatnot. Personally I bought my own Dirt Devil 2 years ago for my apartment and it's gone through hell (I've vacuumed water, beer, a mixture of the two, etc) and it still works like new (after thoroughly cleaning it, of course)

tl;dr buy a Dirt Devil, they're definitely the best bang for your buck in low-end vacuums

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I see the filter queen I recommended earlier on eBay for a hundred bucks or so.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Trip report:

My new Eureka Airspeed just came in the mail. I tested it out a bit over my lunch break and really like it so far. Suction seems very good, quite impressive with the attachment tools, and it got a disturbing amount of debris out of one very small rug in my living room. I'm going to take it over to my girlfriend's cat hair infested apartment tonight and give it a more thorough testing.

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
That's great and all, but I think the real determiner of a vacuum's worth is how well it performs a year down the road.

Daddyo
Nov 3, 2000
I've got a Dyson DC17 and would only give it 2 out of 5 stars. I've had it for 3 years now and found that it manages to suck pet hair into the cyclone with an alarming frequency. I've had to use a coat hanger to clear the ports several times. Also, there's a second filter that they don't tell you to replace, but will get clogged eventually and is a bit of a pain in the rear end to get to.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer

chupacabraTERROR posted:

That's great and all, but I think the real determiner of a vacuum's worth is how well it performs a year down the road.

I totally get that, which is why I posted about a different vacuum I've had two models of, one for about 6 years, earlier. But, since I got the Airspeed partially because of this thread, I figured I may as well post some impressions. I'm not saying everyone should go out and buy it this second.

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Thanks for this thread. I'm ready to buy an expensive vacuum because I'm sick of all these Wal-mart Hoover's dying on me after like three months. It would have been more cost effective to jus buy a $300-400 one.

Is Kirby still good? My mom still uses hers from over thirty years ago and it's the most reliable thing I've ever seen. Or is that just a "well they just don't make 'em like they used to." kinda deal?

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I'm guessing a kirby you buy now will be not that different from the 30 year old model. The idea of someone seeking out a kirby vs. being prodded into it by a door to door salesman is pretty funny to me. Since they are build like bulldozers, you'd probably be best off seeing if you could find one used. I honestly don't know what to think about them as most discussion about them centers around the door to door salesmen.

Lasalas
Feb 26, 2005
The Dyson I've had for four years now still sucks at the same power and efficiency it did when I bought it, regardless of how full the cylinder is. I'm terrible at cleaning the little filter in it too, but it just soldiers on like a champ.

If you rent - the Dyson is your 'professionally cleaned' carpets.

MeisterBurger
Feb 21, 2010
This is a great thread.

I don't mean to derail, but I have been thinking of getting one of those Shark Steam Vacs, and I was curious if anyone has had any firsthand experience with one. I have hardwood (cheap pergo hardwood that is) throughout my house and I am sooo tired of sweeping and THEN mopping. I have 3 boys, a hubby and a dog, and each (except the dog!) comes with nonstop friends coming in and out of the house constantly, dirtying up my floors.

I would primarily like to just use this on the floors, however I have seen that Shark has one that also detaches and can be used as a steam cleaner for grout, shower walls, etc.

Any input appreciated!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
I'm nthing the Dyson recommendation. It's an outstanding vacuum. I picked a refurb up on Woot for $150 and have been nothing but pleased.

MeisterBurger posted:

This is a great thread.

I don't mean to derail, but I have been thinking of getting one of those Shark Steam Vacs, and I was curious if anyone has had any firsthand experience with one. I have hardwood (cheap pergo hardwood that is) throughout my house and I am sooo tired of sweeping and THEN mopping. I have 3 boys, a hubby and a dog, and each (except the dog!) comes with nonstop friends coming in and out of the house constantly, dirtying up my floors.

I would primarily like to just use this on the floors, however I have seen that Shark has one that also detaches and can be used as a steam cleaner for grout, shower walls, etc.

Any input appreciated!

I don't really trust the Shark steam stuff because I had a canister steam appliance from them and it exploded under the pressure. To be honest I probably had a bum model and the new ones are good. A steam cleaner is a handy tool, though, I have to say. It let me use fewer cleaning supplies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Everything you ever wanted to know about vacuums: http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/652989/

(read all the posts by cycloneman)

Mofabio fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 21, 2011

• Locked thread